Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
End Season in February #185669 03/06/11 04:52 AM
S
Southside Falcon Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Does the season need to run till the end of March rather than Feb?

The kid's season should end before HS so coaches/parents/kids could actually watch HS state, college natls, and maybe even enjoy a spring break vacation.

Cut tournaments, start season earlier, or whatever combination thereof, but I don't understand the reasoning for going past Feb. for kids. Coaches/wrestlers wanting to extend longer have plenty of opportunities.

I would be interested in hearing pros/cons on ending season in Feb.

JJ
Re: End Season in February [Re: Southside Falcon] #185670 03/06/11 04:59 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Southside Falcon
The kid's season should end before HS so coaches/parents/kids could actually watch HS state, college natls, and maybe even enjoy a spring break vacation.

For many kids it does already. Nothing says each of us can't follow suit and end our season in February. Each year our club has kids who if they qualify for districts choose not to go on, because they are enjoying spring break. Again, every one of us can choose to do the same.

Re: End Season in February [Re: sportsfan02] #185671 03/06/11 05:16 AM
S
OP Offline
S
It doesn't make sense to have a system where we plan on no-shows due to an annual event (e.g. spring break)? I think this is one reason why we (KS) loose parents/wrestlers.

JJ
Re: End Season in February [Re: Southside Falcon] #185672 03/06/11 05:54 AM
hotrodder54 Offline
Does the season need to run till the end of March rather than Feb?

Cut tournaments, start season earlier, or whatever combination thereof, but I don't understand the reasoning for going past Feb. for kids. Coaches/wrestlers wanting to extend longer have plenty of opportunities.

I would be interested in hearing pros/cons on ending season in Feb.

We always enjoy the highschool state. As it is Why does kids season stop anyone from going?
We were in Iowa this week watching NAIA nationals awesome time no trouble there?
Which Tournaments would you choose to CUT? These are fundraisers for clubs how can we do that?

Every year we beat this to death. Choices do all those things Vac, Highschool, Nats. Wrestling season doesn't have to hender any of those things. It doesn't for us and others we know. I don't understand the problem. I say its people who choose not to do those things, wrestle every weekend, that wear kids out on wrestling not the length of season

Jon Trowbridge
Ive never had the fear of getting beat thats how most people lose.
Re: End Season in February [Re: hotrodder54] #185680 03/06/11 11:21 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hotrodder,
I understand that I could simply choose to miss practices/tournaments, and you're right, this year we could have chosen to go watch the HS state instead of going to one of our tournaments. However, I hope you agree that missing subs through state isn't a valid option, otherwise, what is the point of the season?

Since I've been in KS, it seems every year we're turning down invitations to go to nat'ls and family spring break vacations. For example, me and my boys aren't going to college nationals when my club and my own boys are wrestling in the our district tournament this year. We know a lot of others that feel the same way which is probably why this is an issue every year.

If nobody wants to cut their tournament, why couldn't we start the season earlier? We haven't talked to anyone who objects to coordinating annual events in November. Missing a practice/tournament over Thanksgiving is way easier than missing in March.

My point is that going all the way through March every year forces unnecessary choices every single year. There's no reason that it has to be that way. Are there issues with a season from early Nov. to late Feb.?

JJ
Re: End Season in February [Re: Southside Falcon] #185684 03/06/11 12:29 PM
T
Takedown Machine Offline
T
For kids who feel the season runs to long, what says they must register in November? If they signed up in February, their season is 1month long. If sign up in January 2 months long. Some kids season never ends. They continue with freestyle and wrestle year round. The great thing about this sport is individually you can wrestle when you want. That includes starting and ending when you want. Everyone knows when state is, when Tulsa is, when Reno is. You plan accordingly. If not someone's cup of tea to do Tulsa Kickoff then don't start the season before then. But if you want to compete there, it is best if you don't start the season the day before.

Re: End Season in February [Re: Takedown Machine] #185686 03/06/11 01:06 PM
M
MarkButcher
Unregistered
MarkButcher
Unregistered
M
A big part of the kids are playing football during wrestling preseason. I would bet that you wouldn't get anyone to come to practice. My son is going to try football this year and the games are on saturdays I think?

Re: End Season in February [Re: ] #185701 03/06/11 04:24 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
you can beat this topic to death. its not going to change due to greed. everyone wants what they want and not what might be best for the kids. not sure why people cant see the picture of shortening the season so the kids wont have to take that break that people talk about. dont think they take a break in football or any other sport. all i hear is if you dont like it then take a break. i dont want to take a break to make it better. i want my son to enjoy the sport and be able to enjoy watching highschool and college wrestling and yes have a spring break. those people that have kids that dont play other sports dont see it like some of us. what they dont see is if the season was shortened it would open up more mat time for freestyle which those same people complain that the numbers are down. sometimes change is better and it wont change if you have a narrow mind and only worry about what you want.

Scott Bockover
Re: End Season in February [Re: Southside Falcon] #185702 03/06/11 04:38 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H

My point is that going all the way through March every year forces unnecessary choices every single year. There's no reason that it has to be that way. Are there issues with a season from early Nov. to late Feb.?

starting the season earlier would cause a whole new set of reasons (excuses).
november
- high school football runs through november
- youth football runs through november
- thanksgiving
december
- holiday shopping
- x-mas break
- school programs

the season is AS LONG AS YOU MAKE IT- changing months would only change the reasons (excuses).

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: End Season in February [Re: HEADUP] #185704 03/06/11 04:52 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
i would say start it the same time. have less open tournaments. what i mean by this is only 2 or 3 a weekend and more novice tournaments. the clubs can still make money on novice tournaments. end the season the week before highschool state. the kids can go watch the highschool boys if they dont charge an arm and a leg for the kids to get in that is. then freestyle and greco could start the weekend after state. that would give those diehards all the time they usually get plus i guarantee you more kids would move into the freestyle without interfering with other sports and activities. not all but more than i have seen these past few seasons. im not saying the way it is now is broken but i think it could be lots better.

Scott Bockover
Re: End Season in February [Re: bockman] #185711 03/06/11 07:11 PM
D
Dad of 6 Offline
D
I agree, lets shorten it up. Ending Kids befor the end of HS season. This would also get our state Middle school and elementry Duel teams decided earlyer and they would be ready. Give kids more opportunity to watch high school, Jr College, NAIA, NCAA finals and give these programs more fans. We could also have more then a one month Freestyle season, and get kids a chance to learn Greco before baseball takes so many of them.

Re: End Season in February [Re: Dad of 6] #185712 03/06/11 07:24 PM
C
CWB Offline
C
I am for the way it is.Alot of the HS kids come to kids club and go to state with the club.This is extra cash for the clubs and ;ets some of the HS kids find out how they do,not classifided in the 3A 4A 5A. The kids club puts them on a level playing field.

Talling with my boy he would rather spend time on the mat,than set and watch the sport.I think this is a good thing.I know I would rather be doing A sport than watching one.

Re: End Season in February [Re: Dad of 6] #185713 03/06/11 07:27 PM
L
luellen Offline
L
My vote is to lengthen the wrestling season!!I say we shorten football & baseball seasons they are to long & boring. laugh

Lazy hands make for poverty,
but diligent hands bring wealth.
Re: End Season in February [Re: luellen] #185716 03/06/11 07:37 PM
Ed Wilson Offline
Originally Posted By: luellen
My vote is to lengthen the wrestling season!!I say we shorten football & baseball seasons they are to long & boring. laugh

I AGREE!!!!!!

Did you see that Eckenbacherswartzendruber?

Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
Re: End Season in February [Re: luellen] #185718 03/06/11 07:40 PM
D
Dad of 6 Offline
D
If the high school kids want more wrestling they should wrestle Freestyle and Greco! There is a State Championship they can participate in with no classification. This will extend the season for everyone.

Re: End Season in February [Re: Dad of 6] #185758 03/06/11 11:57 PM
hotrodder54 Offline
I know we will never agree on this issue theres just to many one sided arguements. Just cause thats what we like will never please another. BUT Missouri starts thier state qualifiers 1 week earlier than us and take a week off between Districts and State. To allow those who choose to have the option of going to NCAA tournament. Which I never thought was a horrible idea. but those who never go to NCAA's hate that they do it in MO. This is accually a pretty good post debate.

Jon Trowbridge
Ive never had the fear of getting beat thats how most people lose.
Re: End Season in February [Re: hotrodder54] #185768 03/07/11 12:22 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
this is my argument. what other sport do people talk about taking a break in. what is the reason why anyone would take a break. those are the 2 biggest points in this topic. if you need to take a break something is wrong. i dont feel like taking a break. i just dont want my kids wrestling 24/7 all year long. what kind of wear and tear do you think these kids are putting on their young bodies. wrestling is a grueling sport. i have been around wrestling since i was 6 years old. i didnt wrestle near as much as my 2 boys do now. i still feel it in my body from my days in sports and if i only did half what they do now i can only imagine how they are going to feel when they get my age. if thats not important then your thinking for yourself and not your kids.

Scott Bockover
Re: End Season in February [Re: bockman] #185772 03/07/11 12:36 AM
C
creach boys Offline
C
If you shorten kids wrestling to end before high school state, then you need to get rid of the high school division and let the six and unders go to the official state. No excuses about motels,mat space or anything else.

Re: End Season in February [Re: creach boys] #185774 03/07/11 12:47 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
sorry creach i doubt that it will ever happen but those are just my ideas. as soon as you get something that sounds good there will be that one person that dis-agrees and ruin the ideas just for himself. this topic has been going on for years. so im just going to do what i can for my 2 boys and they can do what they are going to do. i just know my son will probably never try free-style and greco due the season going so long. im sure there are a ton of other kids that think the same way as the numbers speak for themselves. then there is that handful that are able to make that committment.

Scott Bockover
Re: End Season in February [Re: bockman] #185812 03/07/11 01:55 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: bockman
this is my argument. what other sport do people talk about taking a break in. what is the reason why anyone would take a break.

baseball. nephew's team had practice today. they have tournaments scheduled through july, when they split and play within town boundaries. each kid misses a tournament/ game for one reason or another.

scott i don't think it's any one trying to turn the table on the argument. i think it is what you make of it.

high school wrestling is suffering for fan support, read the posts about the state tourney attendance. i for one would love to see the younger kids at high school events, but it doesn't happen. there are hundreds of reasons.

i don't think the right thing to do is exclude the high school kids from the state series. i really like the 6u state at Ottawa.

we take a break every year to attend high school regionals. and schedule at least one more. if you get right down to it, you need to take it at a kid to kid basis. they are all different and need to be treated different.

i feel it's really the best thing for the kids to over schedule and let some take breaks, than to under schedule. coaches and parents are responsible for these kids, if they need a break give it to them.

Last edited by HEADUP; 03/07/11 02:01 AM.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 172 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)