Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: doug747] #185954 03/07/11 08:18 PM
P
Purple_Freak Offline
P
Doug- This is absolutely the way to go. Trackwrestling has changed the timing of things. I would even be in favor of midnight Friday before the seeding meeting. This would give clubs Saturday to review weight classes ect.. before getting to the seeding meeting Sunday morning.

Either way 10 days before is a bit extreme.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: Purple_Freak] #185969 03/07/11 09:53 PM
S
Spexy Offline
S
Seems to me the executive council will just over ride the rule change anyway.

I know track simplifies things...but correct me if I'm wrong...kids state has always been the last week in March. Preceded by subs and districts...no big secret...most ms and high school kids have wrestled in it at one time or another...why is this hard to figure out unless you are recruiting for nothing more than team points.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: Auntie Em] #185997 03/08/11 05:24 AM
BLT Offline
Well I see that we are wanting to make it as easy for the kids as possible BUT I want to make it easy on the host club as well.
If we get too crazy then no one will want to host subs.
Why dont we raise the entry fee to $20 for subs BUT if you sign up by 10 days before (like the current bylaws state) then you will get a 25% discount on your entry fee.

OK
So what Im saying here is charge people extra for waiting til the last minute to sign up...
Im just saying it in a nicer way!! LOL!!
We need to encourage people to not wait til the last minute but make it possible for those that have too.

So whos writting the bylaw change?

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: BLT] #186002 03/08/11 11:38 AM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
I know for me some of the concern was 1) getting more HS/MS kids to come out and second was watching out for the interest of the club.

I had gotten several verbal commitments from HS/MS then when I called the parent to confirm the $50 off the start slowed a few of them up.

I struggled to get a hold of a few of them so I put them in anyways just in case. They backed out and the club is down that money. Getting them HS/MS (or parents) just to show up and take care of the paperwork and money is a nightmare.

If I would have been stricter about no one goes until it is all done we would have had 3-4 kids instead of the 11-13 that we got. I think every club does the same.

I am willing to take on the By-law change. As long as Nix will hold my hand while I speak to the group, people make me nervous.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: BLT] #186003 03/08/11 11:38 AM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
There was a time many years ago that high school wrestlers had a later due date to sign up for subs.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of these high schoolers go out for a spring sport so tryouts begin the Monday after State. The last thing on their minds is whether or not they want to wrestle kids division. If they have a week off of wrestling practice and get through tryouts they might reconsidered kids division but by that time the deadline has passed.

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: wrestlingmom] #186207 03/09/11 06:52 PM
BLT Offline
Here is a quote taken from another thread:

Originally Posted By: Cokeley

Nearly 20 Kansas Kids will not be wrestling because of errors committed by their parents or club representatives this year. I would be much more inclined to fight for their participation that assist in a cause that could lead to a Kansas Kid not making it to state because they were beaten by an out of stater.

Now,
My feeling was that at the seeding meeting when they denied these kids the chance to register late for subs, that this was going to be used as an arguing point by the executive committiee againest the OKlahoma situation.

Im not saying Cokeley is doing this but I am saying that IMO the executive board could of made some sort of exception for these Kansas kids that got entered late but instead they would later come back and say "well we wont even make an exception for KS kids why should we do it for OK kids"

If thats the case!!!
And something COULD of been done (Executive board meeting or conference call) to allow these KS kids a chance to wrestle and we choose not to because we wanted to set an example, then shame on you! Two wrongs dont make a right!
I find it very hard to believe that there wasnt something that could of been done to allow some of the MS and HS kids through out the state that didnt get signed up for whatever reason.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: BLT] #186212 03/09/11 07:39 PM
U
up4wrestling Offline
U
Our club had a deadline set for sign ups that was prior to the deadline for the official sign up. We handed out club forms and requested information from all the HS wrestlers at the Regional Tournament if they did not qualify to go on to High School State. We have several sign up that night after their HS season was officially over. The week following Regionals we had more contact us and sign up...we have 3 practices a week and we made an effort to contact all parents and wrestlers in a timely fashion so that all had the opportunity to think it over and still get signed up for the State Series. I know that hearing that a few kids missed the deadline it would be easy for it to happen. Parents need to step up and be aware of sign up time lines for tournaments. Thru out the entire Kids season their are deadlines for each and every tournament. The club person in charge of sign up can only do so much. They should not be required to babysit parents that want thier kids involved in tournaments. This deadline issue is not new. The deadline has been in effect for as long as I can remember for this series. How ever it happened it was a disappointment to the child the most.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: up4wrestling] #186222 03/09/11 08:26 PM
D
doug747 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Our club adhered to the deadline, but my point is that it doesn't need to be the Wednesday before the seeding meeting. It could be the Saturday before the seeding meeting, so we'd have more time to recruit kids to wrestle the kids' series.

Re: Subdistrict entry deadline............ [Re: BLT] #186226 03/09/11 08:39 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: BLT
Here is a quote taken from another thread:

Originally Posted By: Cokeley

Nearly 20 Kansas Kids will not be wrestling because of errors committed by their parents or club representatives this year. I would be much more inclined to fight for their participation that assist in a cause that could lead to a Kansas Kid not making it to state because they were beaten by an out of stater.

Now,
My feeling was that at the seeding meeting when they denied these kids the chance to register late for subs, that this was going to be used as an arguing point by the executive committiee againest the OKlahoma situation.

Im not saying Cokeley is doing this but I am saying that IMO the executive board could of made some sort of exception for these Kansas kids that got entered late but instead they would later come back and say "well we wont even make an exception for KS kids why should we do it for OK kids"

If thats the case!!!
And something COULD of been done (Executive board meeting or conference call) to allow these KS kids a chance to wrestle and we choose not to because we wanted to set an example, then shame on you! Two wrongs dont make a right!
I find it very hard to believe that there wasnt something that could of been done to allow some of the MS and HS kids through out the state that didnt get signed up for whatever reason.

There was something that could have been done. They could have signed up by the deadline. grin With that said, Doug is right, the deadline should be moved closer to the seeding meeting date.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 112 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,933
Posts250,364
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)