Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Banned #186422 03/11/11 01:44 PM
allaroundwrestli Offline OP
OP Offline
In the wrestling community's opinion do you feel that you should have to wrestle for your home town team, if your kids are getting nothing from it? Do you think that a kid should be held accountable for his coach/parent action's for wanting to wrestle somewhere else where he is getting pushed night after night? Just to put it into perspective, we went to a practice this past Wednesday after 20 minutes of Mason wrestling with kids, I was told to take Mason and leave. I asked why and was told that I don't wrestle for my home town club and we took a vote and we don't want you here. That their by laws say if you live in that town, you have to wrestle for one of their clubs. I could have swore the Wall fell in 1989. It upset Mason and I. Mason for being told to get out in front of all his friends. I feel they at the least they owe him an apolgy face to face and they know who they are. I don't care what is thought about me, but he is a kid and has no idea what is going on. He was asked to come up by some parents to help their child. It is what it is, low down and dirty. Some may agree with me, some may not and that is your opinion. When it come's down to it "It is about the kid's".

J. Turner
Re: Banned [Re: allaroundwrestli] #186424 03/11/11 01:59 PM
M
mcpdad Offline
M
The sad truth is that someone that childish probably isnt capable of saying the words "I'm sorry" I have seen you and your son at numerous tournaments and really enjoy watching him wrestle. He seems to be a classy kid, that remains humble and polite to the kids that he whips up on. In my opinion we as parents have to provide our kids with the best possible ways to improve themselves, emotionaly, educationaly, and in sports also. If that means stepping on some toes, then so be it. Good luck to you and Mason. When your son is an adult he is not going to remember those who said he "can't" he is going to remember those who patted him on the back and said "good job"

Paul McPhillips

Re: Banned [Re: mcpdad] #186425 03/11/11 02:09 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
There are so many things wrong with this and all I have to say is WOW!

It is those kids loss by not being able to gain experience with a kid like Mason in their room. I drive 45 miles every week just so my son can get that chance to wrestle kids at a higher level.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Banned [Re: mcpdad] #186426 03/11/11 02:10 PM
S
smithy Offline
S
Stick to your guns. There should have been no reason for that behavior. Our kids wrestle for a town 25 minutes away from us that are considered to be our rivals. When it came down to the facts, they had the better club and coaches. My kids respected their coach more than the one in hometown. Therefore we drive there 3 nights a week and they have grown leaps and bounds because of it. I am glad that noone has tried to use that same arguement on us.

Re: Banned [Re: smithy] #186428 03/11/11 02:21 PM
J
jeffroberts Offline
J
Park Hill High School had a state runner up this year that was practicing and competing with Team Central instead of his hometown during his junior high days when the high school coach from his hometown told his father. You know, he (the son) has to practice and compete with our club to participate in high school.

It worked out very well for Park Hill and my son, he has another quality practice partner in the room.

Re: Banned [Re: allaroundwrestli] #186429 03/11/11 02:22 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Check the sign inside the door of about every restaurant, "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". Every club should have the same rights! How does this differ from the Oklahoma kids wanting to wrestle in a Kansas qualifier?

Re: Banned [Re: smithy] #186430 03/11/11 02:22 PM
nix Offline
i cannot believe they did not have a talk with you before hand, and to do it in front of all his friends well thats plain wrong.
at least they could have pulled you aside sounds like there loss.

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Banned [Re: sportsfan02] #186432 03/11/11 02:26 PM
nix Offline
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
Check the sign inside the door of about every restaurant, "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". Every club should have the same rights! How does this differ from the Oklahoma kids wanting to wrestle in a Kansas qualifier?

so fine they have the right but they sure could have handled it it a better manor sounds like. and there is a big diffrence between this and the oklahoma wrestlers.

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Banned [Re: nix] #186435 03/11/11 02:41 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: nix
and there is a big diffrence between this and the oklahoma wrestlers.

No, they are the same. Many clubs, just like the state, have by-laws. Just because someone chose to ignore them for whatever reason doesn't prevent them from being inforced at some point in the future.

Re: Banned [Re: nix] #186436 03/11/11 02:42 PM
2coach Offline
sporto are you really that stupid, it is a Kansas kid wrestling in Kansas, not a Oklahoma kid. This is a Kansas kid, and never should a adult tell a kid anything, be man enough or big enough to tell the parent, without the kid being around...

Re: Banned [Re: 2coach] #186437 03/11/11 02:45 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Please show me where I said anything about the manner in which it was done??? I was directing my comments about the kid being a member of a certain club! And I don't care where the kid is from, he apparently is not a resident of the community nor attends school there. Now what does that remind you of?

Re: Banned [Re: sportsfan02] #186439 03/11/11 02:48 PM
S
smithy Offline
S
If I understand this correctly, bringing the kids into practice was not ok'd with the head coach ahead of time? If it wasn't I understand the bylaws thing. However, it should have definitely been handled differently. Obviously, they are the ones at a loss, it will always help kids to have different wrestling partners to practice with.

Re: Banned [Re: 2coach] #186440 03/11/11 02:49 PM
N
NColtrane Offline
N
J. Turner

Jonny and I have watched Mason wrestle since 6U-43 lbs at the Ottawa 6U State tournament from raw unharnassed talent to a silky smooth Champion. Have seen you wrestle for different clubs and even followed your updates from Florida. There are very few kids I enjoy watching wrestle more than Mason.

All I can say is WOW and I hope just maybe it will open a better door for your family.

Nathan Coltrane

Last edited by NColtrane; 03/11/11 03:13 PM.
Re: Banned [Re: NColtrane] #186441 03/11/11 03:03 PM
W
wrestle4fun Offline
W
Was this the team he has been with all season? Was this an open practice? I am just trying to understand the logistics. No matter what, of course, a child should not be treated like that.

Re: Banned [Re: nix] #186442 03/11/11 03:15 PM
C
Coach Prieto Offline
C
Clubs should never turn away kids, period! Take a look at all the clubs are doing well and that contend for a team state title and the one thing that you'll find is that they at some point have an open room, ie. Brawlers. I have taken my son to different clubs in the past and their response has been Yes. It comes down to jealously! Here at Greater Gold when it was first started Coach Segovia, Perez, now Otero, we coach kids that will be competing against our own kids when they get into high school. Example, we coached Clay Mulligan, Alex Kough and are currently coaching other Scott City kids. We don't and won't turn kids away we want the toughest kids in our room to push our boys. As parents if your kid is not getting what you feel is good enough coaching or getting pushed in the practice room then yes you have every right to go seek out the best room, coaching possible. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I have shared my.

Re: Banned [Re: wrestle4fun] #186443 03/11/11 03:16 PM
N
NColtrane Offline
N
Re-read your email and see that you were dismissed from a practice at another club after parents asked Mason to wrestle. The scenerio is a little different, but the actions are still in very poor taste.

Re: Banned [Re: wrestle4fun] #186444 03/11/11 03:23 PM
S
shwrestlingmom Offline
S
Wow! It's their loss and actually a life lesson for your son. I don't see their reasoning and they are the minority in KS wrestling. My son practiced with 4 clubs last season and then coaches from another club coached him at a tournament in Iowa when we couldn't find a coach to go.

Re: Banned [Re: Coach Prieto] #186445 03/11/11 03:24 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Coach Prieto
Clubs should never turn away kids, period! Take a look at all the clubs are doing well and that contend for a team state title and the one thing that you'll find is that they at some point have an open room, ie. Brawlers. I have taken my son to different clubs in the past and their response has been Yes. It comes down to jealously! Here at Greater Gold when it was first started Coach Segovia, Perez, now Otero, we coach kids that will be competing against our own kids when they get into high school. Example, we coached Clay Mulligan, Alex Kough and are currently coaching other Scott City kids. We don't and won't turn kids away we want the toughest kids in our room to push our boys. As parents if your kid is not getting what you feel is good enough coaching or getting pushed in the practice room then yes you have every right to go seek out the best room, coaching possible. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I have shared my.

Exactly.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Banned [Re: Chief Renegade] #186446 03/11/11 03:34 PM
allaroundwrestli Offline OP
OP Offline
To correct Sportsfan, we do live in Chanute and Mason does attend school here and because we don't wrestle for hometown club that is why he was kicked out of the room.Everything was fine before we choose a club in the begining of the season and once we choose a club, we stopped going there until a parent asked Mason to come in and help their son. By the way Wednesday is suppose to be open night, and yes they have other kids that do not live in our town come in and practice. Thanks for everyone's opinions for or against I respect them all.

J. Turner
Re: Banned [Re: allaroundwrestli] #186448 03/11/11 03:43 PM
W
win by pin Offline
W
james i dont know what went down but if you need a drill partner for mason then he can come and bang heads with zane. I would love the challenge to make them both better wrestlers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 124 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)