Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: UNO Drops Football and Wrestling [Re: LancerLou] #187580 03/25/11 09:59 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Are they allowing for anymore discussion from the Wrestling Team and Football Team?

Re: UNO Drops Football and Wrestling [Re: smokeycabin] #187589 03/25/11 12:46 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Any updates?

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: UNO Drops Football and Wrestling [Re: Chief Renegade] #187604 03/25/11 03:03 PM
R
raiderandy Offline
R
I just watched the Board of Regents vote, and it looks like it was a stacked deck going in! From a Wrestling Coach, Dad and Fan in Nevada, I am sorry about the loss of the sport at UNO. While it is a blow to all of us in the wrestling community, I can only imagine the frustration, pain and disappointment those closest to the program are experiencing right now. My heart goes out to all of you, and I wish you all the best of luck with your futures.

Andy Gebhardt

Re: UNO Drops Football and Wrestling [Re: raiderandy] #187605 03/25/11 03:20 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
Seems like the board saw an opportunity with a nice package deal already set up for them. They didn't have to do any more work other than vote. Voting to find another solution would be too much work for them.

The fact that this was the only option on the table is disgusting. The sport teams were blindsided for a reason. Not enough time to prepare and all the raw emotion just played into the hand of the administrators.

Re: UNO Drops Football and Wrestling [Re: lazyman_1] #187606 03/25/11 03:36 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
What incredibly sad day for the wrestling community, especially for the UNO wrestling community! The whole thing seems unreal still.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: UNO Drops Football and Wrestling [Re: Curtis Rein] #187611 03/25/11 04:28 PM
O
oaw Offline
O
As Eric Akin would often say - when life give you lemons make lemonaid.
I think this is more about Coach Denny, the wrestling team and their lack of support from the University. It sounds like he and his team had to raise most of the support for himself and the team. It sounds like they never really supported the team that much anyway. There are a lot of schools that would love to have a highly decorated team and coaches such as the UNO wrestling squad. If it is settled then - I would suggest that a move might be good for Coach Denny and his squad. UNO has set its own path and I hope they are able to live with their decisions - becuase time will tell the real story. I wouldn't expect any help from the wrestling and football community in their endevour. Kansas on the other hand seems to be adding wrestling programs and I would hope some of those programs pic up some of the UNO wrestlers and coaches. Programs will always have to deal with the small minded indivuals who cannot see past their own reflection in the mirror. In this case the AD is looking at the south end of a north bound mule as far as I can tell. A few years ago I had written the KU AD an ask for consideration of a wrestling program at KU - Lancer Lou ask me not to e-mail anymore. Well I e-mail UNO on behalf of the wrestlers and coaches anyway.(a lot of good that did) I hope she will for give me anyway for the e-mail. Good luck to all and the future has not shut you down but has given you new oppotunities for those who dare to seek new beginnings.

One old Grandpa's opinion

Re: UNO Drops Football and Wrestling [Re: oaw] #187612 03/25/11 04:45 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
If it is a done deal I would suggest anyone affiliated with football, wrestling, cheerleading, etc. who are not in support of the schools plans to immediately transfer schools - get U hauls lineup and do not drop another dime in that town.
Rent u hauls from out of town, do not spend a dime on gas there, do not buy lunch in town, pack your lunches, terminate your leases, a mass group leaving all at once would have a huge economic impact on that town. Start shopping for a new school - finish the semester and pack up. Get the media involved.
Loyality to the University, the city, and the State University system may take a bit of a back seat. What would it mean to the school if 1000 students left tomorrow and found schools in another state.

Re: UNO Drops Football and Wrestling [Re: smokeycabin] #187613 03/25/11 05:44 PM
J
James Stout Offline
J
I just cant put into words how dissappointed I am for all those great kids and Coaches that achieved greatness and now have had it all pulled out from under them.

Their affilitation is now with Coach Denney and each other. They achieved greatness that can never be taken away.

I am not concerned with them, Denney will continue to lead and support his "extended family" they will all be fine under his guidance.

Very sad day

Re: UNO Drops Football and Wrestling [Re: oaw] #187615 03/25/11 06:18 PM
Enetophobic Offline
Originally Posted By: oaw
As Eric Akin would often say - when life give you lemons make lemonaid.
I think this is more about Coach Denny, the wrestling team and their lack of support from the University. It sounds like he and his team had to raise most of the support for himself and the team. It sounds like they never really supported the team that much anyway. There are a lot of schools that would love to have a highly decorated team and coaches such as the UNO wrestling squad. If it is settled then - I would suggest that a move might be good for Coach Denny and his squad. UNO has set its own path and I hope they are able to live with their decisions - becuase time will tell the real story. I wouldn't expect any help from the wrestling and football community in their endevour. Kansas on the other hand seems to be adding wrestling programs and I would hope some of those programs pic up some of the UNO wrestlers and coaches. Programs will always have to deal with the small minded indivuals who cannot see past their own reflection in the mirror. In this case the AD is looking at the south end of a north bound mule as far as I can tell. A few years ago I had written the KU AD an ask for consideration of a wrestling program at KU - Lancer Lou ask me not to e-mail anymore. Well I e-mail UNO on behalf of the wrestlers and coaches anyway.(a lot of good that did) I hope she will for give me anyway for the e-mail. Good luck to all and the future has not shut you down but has given you new oppotunities for those who dare to seek new beginnings.

One old Grandpa's opinion

Didn't Dana College drop athletics and a nearby NAIA immediately add and reaped the benefits? How about contacting other NCAA DII schools in the area (Ne, IA, MO, KS) and see if someone would add?

Throw in that the new MIAA teams have won the DII title every year from 2002-2011!

I would say with the fact Kansas has added 4 Universities with wrestling since 2005, we send an onslaught out to administrators and get UNO to come South!

Enlighten Me!
Re: UNO Drops Football and Wrestling [Re: LancerLou] #187624 03/25/11 10:30 PM
S
Spladle U Offline
S
Listen to UNO National Champion Mario Morgan at the Nebraska Board of Regents meeting. UNO should be ashamed of themselves. They sold their soul to sleep with the Devil.

http://serve.castfire.com/video/539271/539271_2011-03-25-102011.mp4

And to make a bad matter worse, UNO changed the locks on the locker room and the wrestling room while the meeting was going on. Trev Alberts is scum and I doubt UNO ever wins anything of importance again under his leadership.

Re: UNO Drops Football and Wrestling [Re: Spladle U] #187629 03/25/11 11:37 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
I bet Trev Alberts is not even there in 5 years.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 117 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)