Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! #186575 03/13/11 09:46 AM
On_the_Mat Offline OP
OP Offline

How would YOU feel as a hard working Collegiate athlete and Coach if your team just wins a team NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP..and then, within the next hour find out your entire program is being axed by the University ? ~ this just happened last night to the UNO Maverick Wrestlers & Coaching Staff ! -- Wow !

http://themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=23332

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: On_the_Mat] #186576 03/13/11 09:51 AM
On_the_Mat Offline OP
OP Offline
truly UNBELIEVABLE..this story just came in a few hours ago..just after the UNO (Univ Neb Omaha) Wrestling team wins its 6th Div 2 National Title (#1 in the Nation) in last 8 yrs. yesterday evening,
they learn shortly after that their program, along with a very successful Football program are planning to be axed and both programs are now likely finished as the Univ now plans to move to Div 1.--but, Soccer and Golf programs will be added to align with the new Summit Conference.

Amazing that PROVEN Success and a proud tradition in each of these programs means nothing to the University, ..yet the almighty dollar$ and revenue stream possible from the move to Div 1 .. DO !

http://omaha.com/article/20110313/NEWS01...l-and-wrestling

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: On_the_Mat] #186592 03/13/11 02:37 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
WOW i was hoping that the addition of Fort Hays, UNO, and Kearney to the MIAA would cause another KS school to pick up wrestling.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: On_the_Mat] #186596 03/13/11 02:54 PM
J
James Stout Offline
J
By Craig Sesker USA Wrestling
03/13/2011

KEARNEY, Neb. – It was late Saturday night and it was celebration time for the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks.

Top-ranked UNO had overcome its share of adversity, including the loss of a returning national champion and All-American, to win its third straight NCAA Division II championship in wrestling.

The Mavericks edged a strong St. Cloud State squad for the team title on Saturday night at the University of Nebraska at Kearney.

Hall of Fame Coach Mike Denney’s decorated UNO program had won its sixth national title in the last eight years, and the seventh in Denney’s tenure in Omaha.

The entire Maverick team – starters, backups, redshirts, coaches and trainers – posed excitedly for the championship team photo. The wrestlers held up three fingers for the three straight titles the team has won.

Just a few hours after the team’s post-tournament celebration at the Country Inn and Suites in Kearney, my cell phone rang in my hotel room at 1:24 a.m.

UNO assistant coach Ron Higdon delivered the stunning news to me. Nebraska-Omaha was going to drop its wrestling program.

UNO reportedly is trying to join the Summit League in Division I. The Summit League does not offer football and wrestling, so the plan is to drop both those sports at Nebraska-Omaha.

The decision to drop wrestling, made by UNO athletic director Trev Alberts and chancellor John Christensen, was not only heartless, gutless and unfathomable, but the timing couldn’t have been any worse. It was like someone ripping your heart out of your chest, tossing it on the ground and stomping on it.

At least have the decency to let the UNO wrestling team have a little bit of time to enjoy winning a national championship. Alberts broke the news to Denney by phone, during the team’s celebration at the hotel, instead of doing it in person. It couldn’t have waited until later, after the team arrived at home?

The lack of support from Christensen is a little baffling. He has a wrestling background. His son, Anders, is the head wrestling coach at Omaha North High School. John Christensen was in attendance in Las Vegas in 2007 to support UNO four-time national champion Les Sigman and three-time national Todd Meneely at the U.S. World Team Trials for freestyle wrestling.

How could Christensen not go to bat for the UNO wrestling program? It doesn’t make sense.

UNO would add men’s golf and soccer, since those sports are offered in the Summit League. Are you kidding me? At the expense of strong, well-established programs in football and wrestling? Wow.

South Dakota State and North Dakota State, which were previously in the North Central Conference with UNO, compete in the Summit League. Both schools also compete in other leagues in football and wrestling, since that conference doesn’t offer those sports.

Football is another high-profile sport at UNO and a large contribution was just made to the school for a new scoreboard. It is crazy to think that Alberts, a star football player who was a college football analyst on ESPN, is going to get rid of the Maverick football program as well.

I covered the UNO wrestling team for six years as a sportswriter for the Omaha World-Herald newspaper from 2000 to 2006, and I have continued to cover them with my job as communications manager at USA Wrestling.

I haven’t, in my life, dealt with a better coach and person than Mike Denney. He’s a total, 100 percent class act all the way who cares about every kid on his team from the national champions to the incoming freshmen. He is a man of high integrity and principles. His coaching contemporaries hold him in very high regard.

Coach Denney said he spoke with Alberts late Saturday night about the decision to drop the program. Denney said Alberts told him the decision wasn’t even about money. Denney raises almost all of the money for his own program’s expenses with all his tournaments, camps and fundraisers.

Alberts said the decision was because the Summit League did not offer wrestling.

Denney is one of the most respected coaches, in any sport, in the country. He handles himself in a dignified manner and has coached more than 40 Academic All-Americans. Wrestling is by far the most successful program in that school’s history.

The early season Kaufman-Brand Open is the biggest college wrestling tournament in the country, with top programs like Iowa, Oklahoma State and Minnesota competing every November at UNO.

Alberts is a guy who has done virtually nothing to support wrestling.

Shortly after Alberts arrived on campus, Denney said Alberts asked him if wrestling was a “club sport” at UNO. Talk about a slap in the face to Denney, who puts in countless hours during and outside the season to keep his program thriving.

Last year, Denney had set up a USA Wrestling press conference prior to the U.S. World Team Trials. The tournament was in nearby Council Bluffs, Iowa. Denney agreed to hold a press conference for Sigman in the Maverick wrestling room. When Alberts heard about it, he ordered Denney not to hold it there.

Sigman ended up making the U.S. team and wrestled at the 2010 World Championships in Russia. He is a top contender to make the U.S. Olympic Team next year, but Alberts wouldn't allow a press conference for him on the UNO campus.

Alberts also told Denney following its 2010 national championship season that the team couldn’t hold a banquet. Denney annually holds a season-ending banquet that honors the team. He also uses the banquet as a place to bring in recruits to see what the program is all about. Denney, determined to honor the championship team, held the banquet anyway.

What Alberts is doing is despicable and disgusting.

A teary-eyed Denney tried to make sense of it all, barely speaking above a whisper around 2:30 in the morning as a downcast group of wrestlers, coaches and parents sat in the hotel lobby.

I sat straight across from UNO’s Mario Morgan, a senior from Chicago who had just capped a fabulous career by winning the 141-pound national title on Saturday night.

I interviewed Mario after he won his title. He was being recruited by a number of Division I schools coming out of high school, but when he met Denney he was sold on UNO. He said he made the perfect decision to wrestle collegiately at the Division II level in Omaha.

The program Morgan had poured five years of his life into may now be gone. Morgan sat at a table early Sunday morning, shaking his head in disbelief and trying to make sense of all that had just transpired.

Denney is a guy who should have been able to go out on his own terms. He’s built a program that is recognized as one of the best in college wrestling at any level.

He’s been an institution at UNO for the past 32 years.

I’ve never met a better man in my life than Mike Denney. He’s the best coach I’ve dealt with in my 22 years as a professional in the communications business. He treats everyone with respect.

It is heart-wrenching to see this happen when it didn’t even have to.

It is really sad to see a guy like Alberts, who has very little experience as an administrator, make such an unnecessary decision.

It’s sickening, it really is.

This may not be over yet. The UNO wrestling program plans to fight for what they’ve worked so hard to build.

UNO wrestling backers are planning to be at Sapp Fieldhouse at 5 p.m. Sunday to rally and support a cause to help save the wrestling program.

It would be a shame if we never see the black and red Maverick singlets on the mat again in college wrestling.

They’ve provided so many great moments over the years and provided so many great opportunities for so many young men.

It’s a shame that arrogant, egotistical, clueless administrators chose to make such a cold-hearted decision. An absolute shame.

Home | Contact Webmaster | Privacy Policy

© Copyright 2000-2011 USA Wrestling, All rights reserve

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: James Stout] #186599 03/13/11 03:19 PM
J
James Stout Offline
J
I can't believe this! - started hearing about this at about 3am from our UNO alumni, their celebration turned somber and teary eyed in a hurry. I cannot express how much Coach Denny has done for our Kansas kids. One of their national champion teams had 7 all americans and 4 of those from Kansas. That AD has been a thorn in their side every since arriving at UNO. I figured Denny would outlast him as he did several others. Something has to be done to stop this!! This would be a tremendous hit to the opportunities for Kansas wrestlers to compete and excel in collegiate wrestling.

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: James Stout] #186602 03/13/11 03:36 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
WOW, UNO wrestling from what I have seen, could compete with D1 wrestling, why not keep it and let them compete at the highest level. this is crazy.

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: L.Geyer] #186605 03/13/11 03:53 PM
J
James Stout Offline
J
I don't see how wrestling is part of the monetary shortfall? Denny and his wrestlers work their a**es off to raise between 100and 120K per year to travel and such. The school's budget is at the same level it was in 1978 at about 20K.Denny's salary is about the only thing The program is fully endowed and could self support in scholarships and such. Alberts is hiding the truth behind all of these numbers and forcasts and such. It is hockey and football that are losing money . there. The moron who signed the contract with the quest center is the one who should go. Some think kshsaa made a mistake at intrust? What if they signed a long term contract to lose money for a long period of time????

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: James Stout] #186618 03/13/11 04:43 PM
RJW1 Offline
Email of AD Trev Alberts: trevalberts@unomaha.edu

Probably won't help but I'm writing him an email right now.

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: RJW1] #186619 03/13/11 04:45 PM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
This is crazy. Not good news, this could just give some other AD's and administrations what they need to drop their programs, too. Hope they can win this fight and retain the program!

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: Kit Harris] #186626 03/13/11 05:12 PM
5ofdiamonds Offline
I read in another article, (Omaha.com), that they plan to add men's soccer and golf teams. The pussification of American continues. Replacing football and wrestling with soccer and golf.

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: 5ofdiamonds] #186647 03/13/11 07:56 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
That is a tragedy for college wrestling. Alberts ought to be ashamed of himself for letting that happen to the two flagship programs of that University. He would never stand for that at UN-Lincoln.

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: Westfahl] #186715 03/14/11 10:44 AM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
If anyone is interested you can go to the Omaha World Hearld Online to read articles and view the press conference of the UNO AD and Chancellor who is an ex-college wrestler and avid wrestling fan. Go to:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110314/NEWS01/703149908#shock-anger-at-uno-plan

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: ] #186752 03/14/11 05:38 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
trevalberts@unomaha.edu; johnchristensen@unomaha.edu; tclare@nebraska.edu; hhawks@nebraska.edu; chassebrook@nebraska.edu; bwhitehouse@nebraska.edu; rferlic@nebraska.edu; jmcclurg@nebraska.edu; kschroeder@nebraska.edu; bphares@nebraska.edu

See above for all email addresses of those involved in the decision. Lets keep the fight alive as this is nowhere over.

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: ] #186753 03/14/11 05:38 PM
J
Jason Halling Offline
J
This might be an opportunity to get the media machine, ESPN, involved in the process. While they haven't been a huge supporter of wrestling in the past, they have a history with Mr. Alberts. Alberts left the ESPN broadcast team under uncomfortable circumstances. The network has a bit of a history sensationalizing stories and this could be a cause they might find worthy. There is enough personal history between two sides (ESPN and Alberts), and the there is a tremendous heart warming aspect (Denny) that this story should be on the front page of ESPN.com. If I find a good email contact at the network, I'll post it.

Jason Halling
Educator
Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: Jason Halling] #186754 03/14/11 05:56 PM
C. Morgan Offline
Form Letter from Flo. Take a few minutes to fwd this to the Board Of Regents (emails addy's below).

Copy/paste from Flo: Hey friends and Mav fans!! We put together a quick letter to send out to the Nebraska Board of Regents to show our support for the wrestling team! If you could help us out - it would be much appreciated. Please copy and paste the letter below and send it to the following emails:

tclare@nebraska.edu, hhawks@nebraska.edu, chassebrook@nebraska.edu, bwhitehouse@nebraska.edu, jmcclurg@nebraska.edu, kschroeder@nebraska.edu, bphares@nebraska.edu, rferlic@nebraska.edu, unkregent@unk.edu, unlregent@unl.edu, unmcregent@unmc.edu, unoregent@mail.unomaha.edu, johnchristensen@unomaha.edu

Letter:

March 2011

To the Nebraska Board of Regents and Whom it May Concern:

We are writing you this letter on behalf of the University of Nebraska Omaha's wrestling team, coaches, alumni, fans, and supporters. It is our understanding that, very soon, you will be asked to decide the fate of UNO's wrestling program. We're asking that you weigh the following factors before making your decision:

1) The success of the Maverick wrestling program is undeniable. Six NCAA Championships in the last eight years, eight championships in all, countless All-Americans and Academic All-Americans. Their service to the community has included working and feeding the homeless, visiting patients in local hospitals, delivering drug-free and alcohol-free messages to schools, and hosting countless tournaments for youth wrestling programs in the community.

2) Coach Mike Denney has been at the forefront of this team for the last 30 years. He has taken the team from a winless sport to a program rich in success and tradition. Alumni from the UNO wrestling program include doctors, attorneys, teachers, college coaches, Olympians, and many other success stories too numerous to count – many of whom still live, work, and contribute to the State of Nebraska. What's more amazing is that Coach has done all of this on the same 21,000 dollar budget that he has had since 1979. He works year round to fundraise thousands of dollars to ease UNO’s financial burden – how many other programs are doing this?

3) Other programs in the Summit League compete in wrestling. Both South Dakota State and North Dakota State compete outside of their conference, why is this not a viable option for UNO?

4) The decisions that are made and the actions that are taken at UNO will have a ripple effect in not only college wrestling but other sports as well. If a eight time national championship team that essentially funds itself is not safe from budget cuts, who is and where does it stop? Is one program that much more important than the others?

5) The manner in which this decision was made and announced publically was deplorable. Ten minutes after the wrestlers won their third straight national title - Coach Denney was left a voicemail from Athletic Director Trev Alberts that the wrestling program had been cut. It was posted in the Omaha World Herald before Coach had an opportunity to not only digest this information himself, but to explain the situation to a room full of student athletes who had just poured their hearts into a season in UNO's name. Then AD Alberts proceeds to host a press conference before the team is even home to announce this decision and upon the teams return to the school, had changed the locks on the UNO Fieldhouse doors.

Needless to say, the manner in which this was handled by AD Alberts and Chancellor John Christiansen was both unprofessional and disrespectful to a program that has been nothing short of a huge success. Perhaps their conduct and leadership should be under review.

We’re asking that you consider seriously and carefully before making your decision. UNO Wrestling students, fans, and alumni have contributed to both the school and the State of Nebraska for the last three decades. Despite what AD Alberts and Chancellor Christiansen (employed by tax-payers) have decided, cutting this program out UNO’s curriculum benefits no one.

UNO Wrestling Family

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: Jason Halling] #186755 03/14/11 05:59 PM
C. Morgan Offline
Form Letter from Flo. Take a few minutes to fwd this to the Board Of Regents (emails addy's below).

Copy/paste from Flo: Hey friends and Mav fans!! We put together a quick letter to send out to the Nebraska Board of Regents to show our support for the wrestling team! If you could help us out - it would be much appreciated. Please copy and paste the letter below and send it to the following emails:

tclare@nebraska.edu, hhawks@nebraska.edu, chassebrook@nebraska.edu, bwhitehouse@nebraska.edu, jmcclurg@nebraska.edu, kschroeder@nebraska.edu, bphares@nebraska.edu, rferlic@nebraska.edu, unkregent@unk.edu, unlregent@unl.edu, unmcregent@unmc.edu, unoregent@mail.unomaha.edu, johnchristensen@unomaha.edu

Letter:

March 2011

To the Nebraska Board of Regents and Whom it May Concern:

We are writing you this letter on behalf of the University of Nebraska Omaha's wrestling team, coaches, alumni, fans, and supporters. It is our understanding that, very soon, you will be asked to decide the fate of UNO's wrestling program. We're asking that you weigh the following factors before making your decision:

1) The success of the Maverick wrestling program is undeniable. Six NCAA Championships in the last eight years, eight championships in all, countless All-Americans and Academic All-Americans. Their service to the community has included working and feeding the homeless, visiting patients in local hospitals, delivering drug-free and alcohol-free messages to schools, and hosting countless tournaments for youth wrestling programs in the community.

2) Coach Mike Denney has been at the forefront of this team for the last 30 years. He has taken the team from a winless sport to a program rich in success and tradition. Alumni from the UNO wrestling program include doctors, attorneys, teachers, college coaches, Olympians, and many other success stories too numerous to count – many of whom still live, work, and contribute to the State of Nebraska. What's more amazing is that Coach has done all of this on the same 21,000 dollar budget that he has had since 1979. He works year round to fundraise thousands of dollars to ease UNO’s financial burden – how many other programs are doing this?

3) Other programs in the Summit League compete in wrestling. Both South Dakota State and North Dakota State compete outside of their conference, why is this not a viable option for UNO?

4) The decisions that are made and the actions that are taken at UNO will have a ripple effect in not only college wrestling but other sports as well. If a eight time national championship team that essentially funds itself is not safe from budget cuts, who is and where does it stop? Is one program that much more important than the others?

5) The manner in which this decision was made and announced publically was deplorable. Ten minutes after the wrestlers won their third straight national title - Coach Denney was left a voicemail from Athletic Director Trev Alberts that the wrestling program had been cut. It was posted in the Omaha World Herald before Coach had an opportunity to not only digest this information himself, but to explain the situation to a room full of student athletes who had just poured their hearts into a season in UNO's name. Then AD Alberts proceeds to host a press conference before the team is even home to announce this decision and upon the teams return to the school, had changed the locks on the UNO Fieldhouse doors.

Needless to say, the manner in which this was handled by AD Alberts and Chancellor John Christiansen was both unprofessional and disrespectful to a program that has been nothing short of a huge success. Perhaps their conduct and leadership should be under review.

We’re asking that you consider seriously and carefully before making your decision. UNO Wrestling students, fans, and alumni have contributed to both the school and the State of Nebraska for the last three decades. Despite what AD Alberts and Chancellor Christiansen (employed by tax-payers) have decided, cutting this program out UNO’s curriculum benefits no one.

UNO Wrestling Family

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: C. Morgan] #186777 03/14/11 07:57 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
http://omaha.com/article/20110313/MAVS/7...s-hold-out-hope

The fight is not over according to article. NE Board of Regents still has to vote on this going into affect. Please write, email, call, do whatever you can. Many Kansas Wrestlers have benefitted from UNO Wrestling Program and will continue to if the program is saved.

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: lazyman_1] #186828 03/15/11 12:32 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
if you sent an email already to the NE Board, send another one today.
THANK YOU

Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: lazyman_1] #186830 03/15/11 12:36 PM
Enetophobic Offline
Do we have any idea on the Board as to who needs the most "buttering"?

Enlighten Me!
Re: UNO Maverick wrestling program to be axed ! [Re: Enetophobic] #186870 03/16/11 11:28 AM
B
back in the day Offline
B
I spoke to a friend who is professor of history at UNO Here is what he said,

"There are some whispers about maybe saving the wrestling program. There is an option to keep wrestling and compete in that one sport in a different conference. The AD said they would not do that but the protests here may cause a re-think."

So keep writing and calling!

The older I get the better I was!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 86 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)