Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! #187014 03/18/11 03:04 AM
P
Packerholic492 Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I thought all the Districts were supposed to be all on the same page! Districts 1,2,and 3 have weigh-ins on Friday from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. on Sat. But, District 4 is starting weigh-ins on Friday from 1 p.m. until 7 p.m. and Sat. from 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. Not trying to start anything here. But, I would like to have a 6 hour window to weigh-in so your not rushed to get there. Then stand in line to weigh-in for 30-45min. or longer, then stand in line again to eat to get a decent meal instead of fast food. Pratt has the right idea!!! This is how it should be done. THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE AT STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're helping parents out with travel time. Hats off to the Pratt wrestling club.

Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: Packerholic492] #187020 03/18/11 10:25 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
My guess would be the difference is because District 4 has such a much larger geographical area from which people are traveling. This is but one example of why not all districts should have to do things exactly alike when it comes to qualifiers.

Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: Packerholic492] #187025 03/18/11 11:10 AM
P
PACKY Offline
P
plus if you look on page 2 at its says until 8.00pm I like PRATT already
D4 Weigh-ins Friday night
by Pelland

Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: PACKY] #187030 03/18/11 12:08 PM
Pelland Offline
When we determined weigh-in times, I didn't realize we were all supposed to be on the same page....sorry about that.

Originally we decided to go from 1-7 because we didn't want 500 kids weighing in a 2 hour window, and we are having that Senior dual tonight that starts at 7:30 and wanted to be done prior so we could all go watch. We have some clubs so far away, that ending at 7 instead of 8 was a real burdon for them, so we decided it would be better to end at 8 and miss some of the dual.

The reason we started at 1 was not to be accomodating to the clubs, it was to make life easier on us volunteers.... wink

The reason we are ending at 8 is to accomodate the D4 families.... cool

Greg Pelland

Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: Pelland] #187062 03/18/11 11:57 PM
N
Namwen Offline
N
Just a question/situation.... Say little johnny were to be heavy for his weight class and had a 7 hour window to drop the weight in D4. But little jimmy is a little over in D1 and has a 2 hour window to lose it. How is that fair to everyone else? And how or WHY was it allowed to have such a weigh in window of 7 hours?

Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: Namwen] #187070 03/19/11 12:46 AM
J
jule Offline
J
In reality Johnny and Jimmy have the same amount of time. They both have till 7 am tomorrow morning. Only difference is jimmy's parents have only driven 30 minutes while Johnnies parents have driven 6 hours to get to weigh in. As most of D1 D2 and D3 don't realize how far it is from the end of D4 to the beginning. Some of the folks even change time zones.

Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: jule] #187072 03/19/11 12:53 AM
T
tmchenry4 Offline
T
any wrestler can get on set of scales any where all day to see if they will make weight does not have to be at weigh in. Scales may vary a little but not that much.

Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: Namwen] #187073 03/19/11 12:54 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: Namwen
Just a question/situation.... Say little johnny were to be heavy for his weight class and had a 7 hour window to drop the weight in D4. But little jimmy is a little over in D1 and has a 2 hour window to lose it. How is that fair to everyone else? And how or WHY was it allowed to have such a weigh in window of 7 hours?

I think we rename little johnny big johnny. We won't have to worry about little jimmy because six hours in a sauna suit on the drive down should do the trick.

Lee Girard
Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: ReDPloyd] #187075 03/19/11 01:16 AM
Hossus Offline
I am Dist 2 and drove over two hours to weigh my kid in. So the driving issue is basically BS, everyone drives or stays in hotels or with family. Namwens point is a fact. The other Districts did not have this option available to them. This is another example of Dist 4 doing what they want and everyone else is powerless to do anything about it. Topeka is a lot farther away from Liberal and Goodland than Pratt. Are they going to let Dist 4 weigh in 5 hours earlier than everyone else at Topeka? No, because everyone is supposed to be equal.

Fortune assists the daring.
Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: ReDPloyd] #187078 03/19/11 01:17 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Namwen and Jule,

No offense to either one of you, I am just trying to keep things in perspective tonight. When I joined the forum I was deployed and hadn't seen my family in about four months. I found the wrestling forum a great venue to release any stress that I was feeling. For the most part, I always tried to add humor to the forum because it made me feel better, and I hoped that it made others feel the same.

Just today, in Pratt, my parents lost everything they owned due to a fire. Just like when I was deployed and my oldest sister passed away before I could make it home, I felt like I couldn't do anything to change what happened. I can only be here to console my parents from many miles away. My son will wrestle tomorrow because that is what my parents want him to do. If they need me, I am only 260 miles away and not 4600, so I will be able to be there for them.

Back to my reason to make this post, we have to keep everything in perspective. There are a lot worse things that can happen to any one of us. Enough sad stuff, time to move on to adding more humor to the forums if I can find something to add humor to.

Lee Girard
Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: ReDPloyd] #187079 03/19/11 01:29 AM
J
jule Offline
J
Ok Lee lets add some humor next year lets really make district even. D4 can go to D3 to weigh in D1 can go to D2 and D3 can go to D4. The only thing is we have to all drive in a line and wave at the other wrestlers as we drive by them. We all have to have pink and green bows on our cars. So we know who each other is.

Lee if there is anything we can do for your folks let us know if it is in our power we will do so. Thoughts go to you.

Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: jule] #187082 03/19/11 01:50 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: jule
The only thing is we have to all drive in a line and wave at the other wrestlers as we drive by them. We all have to have pink and green bows on our cars. So we know who each other is.

Lee if there is anything we can do for your folks let us know if it is in our power we will do so. Thoughts go to you.

Pink won't do, it makes me weak. Green is fine since I was formerly a Greenback and it is my third son's favorite color. Purple is out of the question because I don't want all those Power Cat backers thinking that I am rooting them on.

In all honesty, I grew up a PC backer but turned JH when I came to college. I remember my boys getting dad a "house divided" license plate for Christmas since he is a K-State fan and had three boys attend KU (one of my brothers did get his undergraduate degree at K-State but came to KU for post graduate). Thanks for the offer of support. My parents would appreciate it.

Lee Girard
Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: ReDPloyd] #187093 03/19/11 02:36 AM
N
Namwen Offline
N
Add humor all you want but am tired of using size of district as excuses for not following suit with the rest of the state. It would have been a shorter drive for us to go weigh in at Pratt then our own district but you do not hear me whining about driving 3 hours to weigh in. EVERYONE drives for tourneys to make the usual set Friday and Saturday weigh ins, so why is it that all of a sudden ONE district decides to make it EASIER on its volunteers and clubs and the rest still have to make the drive? When it was found out that they were all supposed to follow suit why did the times not get changed to follow suit. And yes I understand it would have been a nightmare but it SHOULD HAVE been done!

Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: Hossus] #187107 03/19/11 05:57 AM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Well i am not sure if your profile is correct but if you are from Attica as it says and it took you over 2 hrs to drive 76 miles traffic must have been pretty bad in district 2 and since goodland had over 250 miles to drive i would say yes travel is an issue and not bs.

Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: L.Geyer] #187108 03/19/11 07:04 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
The scales don't know what time it is!

Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: sportsfan02] #187112 03/19/11 10:22 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Just a quick look at today's world news:

1) Millions without food, water, power in Japan
2) Gadhafi calls UN action 'invalid,' hits rebels
3) Village vanishes after tsunami
4) Bahrain to pursue talks, receive more Gulf troops
5) Heavy security after Yemen declares emergency
6) Prince William tours disaster hit Australia
7) Japan cites radiation in milk, spinach near plant
8) Pee-wee Herman, icon of kid’s TV takes his act to Broadway
9) IOUs don’t boost Social Security solvency
10) Climber survives for 6 days stranded in remote canyon
11) More smoke rises from crippled nuke plant in Japan
12) U.N. shocked by Ivory Coast bloodshed
13) Death toll climbs to nearly 7,000 in Japan
14) Pakistani leaders condemn suspected U.S. drone strike
15) New study charts psychological toll of long-term joblessness

Oops, almost forgot this one.

16) ONE district decides to make it EASIER on its volunteers and clubs

Lee Girard
Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: L.Geyer] #187117 03/19/11 11:41 AM
Hossus Offline
Either way it is still a fact that it is not fair to the other Districts who only had a two hour window. I am even closer to Pratt than Namwen. 50 minutes to Pratt Vs 1 hour & 20 min to Andover and we don't even have a match today. So we will end up with 6 hours of driving just to weigh in and pick up a medal. So don't give me a song and dance about driving and making it easier on some people. You do what you gotta do to stay in line with the system in place not change it to suit your way. I go through a lot less hassle going to a National Tournament than the State Series with better people to wrestle, go figure?

I work in western KS a lot, so I know quite a bit about the driving issue. Pratt is about 2-3 hrs from just about everywhere in western KS though or they wouldn't have chosen that site to host this event. I am not even mad about Pelland setting this up for you as it was prob not a bad thing in general. I am just ticked off that Dist Reps allowed it to happen. Where is the oversite and continuity between Districts as was discussed before Subs in other posts? I know if Dist 2 was doing this there would have been people complaining just the same and rightly so. The difference is that Dist 4 gets away with it and nobody is supposed to say anything.

Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: Hossus] #187120 03/19/11 11:55 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
You have given us no reason how or why it is unfair to the other districts! If you want to weigh-in in D4 then move to D4. Please quit whining about something that is of no consequence and is not an advantage or disadvantage to anyone. It is this type of nonsense that caused these silly rules that all districts had to do everything exactly the same in the first place.

Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: sportsfan02] #187121 03/19/11 12:03 PM
Hossus Offline
I don't have to give a reason. Follow the rules as they have been set forth and quit trying to dodge the issue by putting it back on me or others. Rule breakers are all the same, it's always someone else's fault or doesn't apply to them. Great thoughts there Sportsfan02, just keep on thinking your special.

Re: Weigh-in times for the 4 Districts not the same!! [Re: Hossus] #187132 03/19/11 06:21 PM
nix Offline
does everyone still have the same amount of time to lose weight?

you have up until 8 aclock on friday. i don't know how haveing an early weigh in gives any kid an advantage.

now if they extended weigh ins until 10pm then i can see you saying they have 2 more hours to lose the weight.

at noon on friday if jonny from d4 is over weight and jack from d2 is over weight and they have until 8 pm to weigh in it would seem to me that they both have 8 hours to make weight.or up till 7am the next morning. giving both kids the same amount of time.

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Kramer, Derek Patterson), 170 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)