Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: kshusker] #187747 03/28/11 01:02 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Them stupid teamropers...lol

I know they hate the weekends match up just as much if not more than we do.

They have a hard time with hotels also, most of them aren't tough like myself and sleep on the ground like a real cowboy....lol

The kids state hasn't changed dates for ever (I don't think) the roping used to be in Feb. but they moved it to March to try to get better weather.

ExpoCenter management should make those date not occur on the same weekend, it is tough on both halves.

As far as Horse event creating revenue, it does happen.

Some of those event are week long event some bring in thousands from all over. I am not saying they are doing as well as Kids state but they can also have them held 3-4 times a year.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: Teamroper] #187749 03/28/11 01:30 PM
badbo Offline
We have attended the kids state for many, many years. The last two years we were some of those "damn team ropers" on the other side of the parking lot. The ropings paid out almost $80,000.00 just on Sunday!! They are big money generators or suck all the money out of you depending on how you end up.

Contrats to all the state wrestlers!!!

Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: sportsfan02] #187777 03/28/11 04:33 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
Originally Posted By: HEADUP

i hope you don't really believe that wichita area motels would't raise their rates. it's called capitalism. they would raise them just the same.

No they wouldn't because they have more rooms available and thus would have competition for pricing.

i have 10 acre plots of resort property in japan for sale. how many do you want?

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: HEADUP] #187788 03/28/11 05:20 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
i have 10 acre plots of resort property in japan for sale. how many do you want?
With ocean view?

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: HEADUP] #187789 03/28/11 05:23 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Will you include the power plant? My preference of course is gas, however I always seem to have plenty of that!

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: kshusker] #187875 03/29/11 01:24 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: kshusker
A place with more parking would be nice...maybe somewhere that we don't have to compete with horse trailers taking up 3 to 4 parking spots.

Plenty of parking spaces from what I could see. Every patch of grass had vehicles parked on them. Some guy in a big black SUV decided he needed to park on the yellow line next to my driver's side door. It is a good deal that I could fit my svelte physique through that twenty four inch crack or I might have had a serious issue with his parking.

Lee Girard
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: ReDPloyd] #187877 03/29/11 01:30 AM
nix Offline
lee maybe next year you can cut weight just in case they park closer.

"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent"

jeff nix
620-214-0433
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: nix] #187879 03/29/11 01:35 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Nix,

At my age, the only weight cutting I am doing is when I am sitting on the commode.

Lee Girard
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: nix] #187880 03/29/11 01:37 AM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Parents cutting weight is just no good, kids shouldn't stand for it. We are in our growing years...sheesh nix

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: lylegeyer] #187990 03/29/11 10:19 PM
T
Torque Offline
T
Amen...if you consider what kind of money we brought Topeka, you would think they would appreciate it more. The people at the Expocenter were great and those that put everything together did a fantastic job. Quite a few of us stayed at the Holidome and you would think by the way that they treated us that they didn't want the business. I was thinking that Manhattan might also be a great location. I have no complaints about the event itself, it was top notch!!!

Douglas Vahle
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: MacLaughlin] #188012 03/30/11 02:01 PM
H
H.R. Cook Offline
H
I might point out that the community had been talking about Kansas Kids Wrestling before families started checking in to the hotels. Two articles (one an editorial from the paper board) pointed out that it is a community effort to keep the tournament here in Topeka and we do understand the HUGE impact that the tournament brings to our city. Here are the links.

http://cjonline.com/news/business/2011-03-24/wrestling-tourney-wraps-big-numbers-city

http://cjonline.com/opinion/2011-03-25/editorial-kids-wrestling-win-city

The story on Sunday regarding our expansion and renovation (though had a horse on the front page)missed the point of the need for improvements. A lot of improvements that were proposed were in Landon Arena just for events such as Kansas Kids. We must improve our facilities to keep up with the growing competition from other venues in Kansas that go after this event. Yes our community cares, yes our staff at the Expocentre cares and we want this event to stay in Topeka.

Sometimes it is not all about the money and economic impact, in my case it is about pride. I am proud to host Kansas Kids, and proud to know a lot of people associated with Kansas Kids. Many former champions are now fathers and coaches standing on the side of the mats sometimes screaming the same spittle laden incoherent instructions that, many years ago when they were on the mat almost on their back were thinking "If he thinks this is so easy maybe he should get down on the mat and try this. I will never yell like that to my son or daughter if I get the chanch".

There are cheers and tears. Fathers jumping, mothers hugging. In the end that is what it is all about. Are we at the Expocentre perfect? no. Each year though we try to improve just a little bit more to say on Sunday afternoon. We did it!

Thank you all for coming to Topeka. I welcome all suggestions and complaints so we can continue to evolve and improve.

H.R. Cook
General Manager
Kansas Expocentre/SMG

Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: H.R. Cook] #188020 03/30/11 03:20 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Originally Posted By: H.R. Cook
I might point out that the community had been talking about Kansas Kids Wrestling before families started checking in to the hotels. Two articles (one an editorial from the paper board) pointed out that it is a community effort to keep the tournament here in Topeka and we do understand the HUGE impact that the tournament brings to our city. Here are the links.

http://cjonline.com/news/business/2011-03-24/wrestling-tourney-wraps-big-numbers-city

The story on Sunday regarding our expansion and renovation (though had a horse on the front page)missed the point of the need for improvements. A lot of improvements that were proposed were in Landon Arena just for events such as Kansas Kids. We must improve our facilities to keep up with the growing competition from other venues in Kansas that go after this event. Yes our community cares, yes our staff at the Expocentre cares and we want this event to stay in Topeka.

Sometimes it is not all about the money and economic impact, in my case it is about pride. I am proud to host Kansas Kids, and proud to know a lot of people associated with Kansas Kids. Many former champions are now fathers and coaches standing on the side of the mats sometimes screaming the same spittle laden incoherent instructions that, many years ago when they were on the mat almost on their back were thinking "If he thinks this is so easy maybe he should get down on the mat and try this. I will never yell like that to my son or daughter if I get the chanch".

There are cheers and tears. Fathers jumping, mothers hugging. In the end that is what it is all about. Are we at the Expocentre perfect? no. Each year though we try to improve just a little bit more to say on Sunday afternoon. We did it!

Thank you all for coming to Topeka. I welcome all suggestions and complaints so we can continue to evolve and improve.

H.R. Cook
General Manager
Kansas Expocentre/SMG

To help reduce the problems, why hasn't the Teamroping and the Wrestling been split up?

There is alot of heartburn on both sides about fighting for rooms, and parking.

I am a teamroper and always enjoyed coming to Topeka to compete, and I know several that has quit coming due to this very circumstance. They can't find rooms, have to park 2 miles away etc..

It just doesn't make sense for two big events that provide economic stimulus to your area forced to compete with each other. Sure there are thing you as the Expo Center management don't have control over like rooms and restaurants and how people are treated, but the one thing you do have control over is scheduling.

Change it up, that way maybe I can spend two weeks in Topeka vs one...

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: Teamroper] #188023 03/30/11 03:33 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
I would guess that those are the only dates that work for the teamropers just like they are the only ones that work for wrestling. The same thing happened over the years at the Coliseum during the high school state. The horse people had an event going on in the pavillions next door. But the Coliseum had enough parking to accomodate both events. Maybe there is something about wrestling that attracts horse people?

Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: sportsfan02] #188024 03/30/11 03:39 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
i dont mind being in Topeka because i stay with family and dont spend money on a hotel. Ideally Wichita is a more realistic option for the families traveling all over the state. those traveling from sw corner would benefit more if it was in wichita. easier to travel for all people not just a handful like it is now.

Scott Bockover
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: H.R. Cook] #188028 03/30/11 03:16 PM
roughly Offline

H.R. Cook
General Manager
Kansas Expocentre/SMG

HR, (sorry, but that makes me think of one of my favorite Saturday morning shows back in the day..."HR Puffinstuff"!

Anyway, I have always thought it sub-standard thinking to have the Kansas Kids State tournament in Topeka, especially with the previous years experiences there at the arena.

Having said that, I have to admit, this year, we noticed a DEFINITE effort to be nicer, more efficient, and appreciative of our "culture" by the ExpoCentre staff and Topeka in general. Now, I am not speaking for everybody (obviously), but for us, we noticed a HUGE improvement. We've always hated coming to the ExpoCentre with their anal-probe like searches for no real reason, long lines everywhere, etc.
THIS YEAR, for us, was MUCH better. In addition, the weigh-in process was SMOOTH! I didn't think it would be, but it was!

About the only complaint I would have to voice was the concession prices! WOW, F'ing brutal! I refuse to even total up what we spent on mostly junk.

Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: roughly] #188040 03/30/11 05:16 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
in defense of the holidome, i think they really tried to do the right things. the free breakfast was the best i've had in a long time. opening salon C for parents to relax was a great idea. better planning/ parental supervision could have made the pool a better place. over all i think they did well.

restaraunts as a whole grade c, not prepared, didn't seem like they knew it was going to be a busy weekend.

expo staff did a good job, prices are high at concession stands everywhere. we pack a cooler and eat in the parking lot.

capitol plaza calling and complaining about kids???? wow two problems here.
1- bad parenting
2- poor hospitality

kids shouldn't act up, parents shouldn't let them run wild.
they know it's a big deal, if they can't handle the crowd they should politely decling the $$$. end of story.

btw it was similar reasons from last year that caused the holidome to change this year. i for one think the changes were for the best. maybe next year they will staff the pool area with more than one teenage girl, and the problems will be better managed.

thank you topeka, thank you usa ks kids, for the great weekend.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: H.R. Cook] #188052 03/30/11 07:17 PM
L
luellen Offline
L
I welcome all suggestions and complaints so we can continue to evolve and improve.

H.R. Cook
The only complaint i have is the expo staff checking bags. The blond haird older woman at the lower entrance opened my bag & reached in & took out all bottles of water except one. told me only one per wrestler was allowed. I had more than one wrestler with me & I told her so & pointed to them. she still took my water. I saw people in there that smuggled all kinds of food & drink in. I was honest & all I was bringing was water. I could have had guns & knives & explosives in the side pocket of the same bag & she would have never found it. They were not looking for dangerous things. They where just worried about food & drink. I was able to bring a few things in last year. Loosen up on the FOOD & DRINK SEARCH & start searching for things that are a danger to the people. Tell your staff to let the little things like water go. Sunday I packed different & got some of that dangerous water in:)

Lazy hands make for poverty,
but diligent hands bring wealth.
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: sportsfan02] #188063 03/30/11 07:58 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
I would guess that those are the only dates that work for the teamropers just like they are the only ones that work for wrestling. The same thing happened over the years at the Coliseum during the high school state. The horse people had an event going on in the pavillions next door. But the Coliseum had enough parking to accomodate both events. Maybe there is something about wrestling that attracts horse people?

Those are the date worked out by the Expo Center and the Stock Contractor.

We really don't care when they have the ropings the same crowd will come.

Kids State is set in stone and isn't flexible enough to move.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: Teamroper] #188065 03/30/11 09:20 PM
H
H.R. Cook Offline
H
I will check on the bag search lady. That in my opinion was over the top. We are working with the team ropers to see if they might move off of that weekend.

H.R. Cook

Re: Topeka as the eternal resting location for State?? [Re: H.R. Cook] #188108 03/31/11 02:19 AM
D
doug747 Offline
D
Every year for I don't know how long, we have mopped the mats at 6:00 am on Sunday morning. And every year, we knock on the doors, staff and security guys walk by, shake their heads no, or look at us and just ignore us. Apparently, we look pretty intimidating with our sprayer, mops, towels, and disinfectant in our hands. Easy to see how we could overrun the place with those kinds of weapons.

So we have to run around the building until we find an unlocked door, or a concession person, or someone, to let us in. That is only half the battle. Have to explain that we are there to mop the mats (like we do every year) and they look at me like I am a terrorist. Last year, I had to actually tell the guy to call security, as I slid past him, and tell them to talk to me while I mopped the mats, cause I had to get them mopped, and get back to the hotel to shower and get ready...........

Last edited by doug747; 03/31/11 02:21 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 173 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)