Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: DQ's and Injuries at State [Re: Mark J Stanley] #188363 04/01/11 06:56 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
I would agree!

Re: DQ's and Injuries at State [Re: Mark J Stanley] #188383 04/01/11 07:54 PM
tcctmickey Offline
Add some BIG teeth into the punishment for improper behavior on this final weekend of the season.

Additional suspension of the ENTIRE State tournament the following year.

Re: DQ's and Injuries at State [Re: tcctmickey] #188387 04/01/11 09:54 PM
C
CWB Offline
C
I have said A few things this year to coaches about how there kids behavior and what they do in a match.Every one of them say the same thing.IF the reff did not see it it is ok.One more was it is the reffs job to see and fix the problem not yours.Though the year I saw a kid 14 years old in the 190 or so clas Jump and drive his nees in the back of the downed kids nees.It was bad enough The kid getting beat on could hardly walk off the mat.
It is sad what coaches will teach the kids to do to win.

Re: DQ's and Injuries at State [Re: Todd Durham] #188389 04/01/11 10:32 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Todd,

I agree with you. Totally uncalled for and it shouldn't have happened. We hear about the emotions, and how a kid just lost it because of the heat of the moment. Most of these wrestlers this deep into their career should know better. Again, I agree.

So why do some kids have total melt downs when they get to the high school level? Most of the best have been wrestling for many years. They should understand that they just wrestled a tough, hard fought and close match. Win or lose, they should feel that they competed to the best of their abilities. If they felt that they didn't compete to the best of their abilities, then they need to have a hard talk with themselves, not throwing headgear, not cursing at officials, not storming off the mat, and not being reluctant to shake their opponent's hand.

Lee Girard
Re: DQ's and Injuries at State [Re: ReDPloyd] #188401 04/01/11 11:38 PM
T
Torque Offline
T
It is unfortunate that sometimes the parents instill in their kids that win at all cost attitude. I think we have all seen some parents push their kids to the point that the kid tries his or her best purely to satisfy the parent in just about every sport.

I have seen kids come off the mat on the losing end after giving everything they had only to be met by their father/coach and yelled at and sometimes even cussed at for not doing something else. I would hate to see how we as adults would handle that with an employer if we were treated like that at work.

I think when a kid is doing it for himself they still could suffer a meltdown, but I would bet the number of instances would be far less. I will say that I do appreciate some of those bone headed parents...I use them as an example I keep in my head so I won't act that way. I want my boy to love the sport...not do it for me. Wrestling is a great sport and probably the closest team sport our kids will ever be part of. Life is too short...enjoy it!!

Douglas Vahle
Re: DQ's and Injuries at State [Re: Torque] #188428 04/02/11 02:14 PM
W
wrestle4fun Offline
W
Parents put a lot of pressure on their kids. They push winning so much. Is it really about winning or is it about trying their hardest and having fun? I have seen kids on our team get paid for winning and specifically for beating certain kids. Saw one get paid for beating my son!!! And to be honest he usually does beat my son.

I don't know if my son would ever have a chance at the state tournament level, but as long as he is having fun, showing good sportsmanship, and trying his hardest that is all that matters to me and he can wrestle for as long as he wants or decide the sport just isn't for him.

I also know that there are also a lot of kids that feel pressured to wrestle that really just don't care to do it, but that's what dad wants and they either are afraid to speak up or just don't have a choice.

Re: DQ's and Injuries at State [Re: wrestle4fun] #188429 04/02/11 02:18 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
I'm one of those that probably crosses the line sometimes if I don't feel like a kid gives it all he has, but when you talk about doing it to please dad or mom , or whomever, look at it this way: Wrestling teaches life lessons. When my kids make me happy, the house is pretty peaceful. When they don't make me happy, it is not peaceful. When these kids get out into the real world and get a job, they better be working to make the boss happy, or they will be out of a job. Life lessons baby...

There is FOR SURE such a thing as being too easy on them.

Paying them is not a good idea IMO, but rewards of some sort are part of the game. You just hope that the reward they seek is standing on top of the podium.......

Last edited by doug747; 04/02/11 02:21 PM.
Re: DQ's and Injuries at State [Re: doug747] #188442 04/02/11 04:32 PM
bubbasmom77 Offline
Doug,
Good post, life is not going to cuddle anybody and give them participation awards when they screw up at work or act like an butt!!! I get in my kids face and yell at him but not for the sport, I do it for the behavior!! A win at sub-districts with jumping up and down showing a number 1 on his hands got the same reprimand and disapproval from me as storming off the mat after a loss. To disrespect another wrestler or coach is unacceptable to me and I will not tolerate it. In my opinion there are many ways to disrespect an opponent that may not be noticed by all, not giving it your all, cheap shots, taunting, and then being a bad winner or loser, none of these things is tolerated in my house or on the mat by any kids that I coach. Every kid that steps on the mat deserves the same respect everytime!!!! Jmo
Mike Pirl

Re: DQ's and Injuries at State [Re: bubbasmom77] #188489 04/03/11 02:29 AM
C
CWB Offline
C
Mike
I am with you 100%.It is not win or lose it is in the effort.@ of my prowdest days My son got his but kicked.But he did it with pride and gave it his all when doing it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 137 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)