Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Greg Mann...the Man #188017 03/30/11 02:59 PM
RedStorm Offline OP
OP Offline
By JUDY SHERARD

jsherard@dailynews.net

NORTON -- Greg Mann, superintendent of Norton Community Schools USD 211, credits the district's board of education with his involvement in state professional organizations.

Mann, in his 36th year in education, received the Kansas School Superintendents Association 2011 distinguished service award. Mann was recognized as the award winner in February at the Council of Superintendents meeting at the Kansas State Department of Education.

"We have an outstanding board. They encouraged me to be more involved with state organizations," Mann said. "If not for them, I wouldn't be receiving this award.

The local board of education serves as the conscience of the community, he said.

"I've been blessed with boards that know when to pull the rope and when to give you rope."

The distinguished service award is given annually in recognition of outstanding contributions and leadership. Mann knows he was nominated by a peer, but doesn't know who it was.

This is his fourth year on the board of directors of the organization. He also was a member of the leadership team reorganizing the group and chaired the workgroup to increase representation, especially from smaller districts.

"That was my baby," Mann said.

The reorganization allows representation on the board based on geographic location and enrollment.

It's important for western Kansas to have a strong voice, he said.

Superintendents in small districts, the norm in western Kansas, are responsible for duties that are delegated to others in larger districts.

"I can't imagine not knowing everyone I work with," Mann said.

KSSA fosters professional development helping superintendents enhance their skills and mentoring others in a structured program.

"It's rewarding to help other superintendents just starting their careers," Mann said.

In addition to the board of directors, Mann is on the Council of Superintendents, which meets with the Kansas Commissioner of Education as an advisory group. Mann said the council was part of a conference call that discussed extending the testing window because of bad weather.

A native of Garden City, Mann began his career in education teaching in Grainfield.

He first worked in Norton as junior high school principal and athletic director for 10 years.

That led to administrative jobs in Leoti and WaKeeney.

He returned to Norton as superintendent and has been in the district for 20 of the last 23 years.

Like most educators who have been in the field for some time, Mann cited technology as one of the biggest changes in education. That includes the way schools operate.

Mann said he remembers when the Garden City district had one copy machine that was kept in a locked room because it was so expensive to operate.

Now copy machines are common, and every class has a whiteboard rather than a chalkboard.

There also has been a philosophical change in education from a teaching model to a learning model, he said.

Before the change, teachers taught the material, and the students were charged with learning it. Now the philosophy is, it's "my responsibility as a teacher to make sure you learn it," Mann said.

Funding has changed, too.

"Before 1992, schools were funded locally; now it's centralized," he said.

The nation is moving toward a federal school system with a centralized set of standards like the common core.

"That way a score in Kansas is the same as in Nebraska," he said.

Computers have made much of that possible.

Because of the attachment of Lenora USD 213, the Norton district will have no funding cuts; however, even with flat funding, Mann said the district's costs continue to go up.

He still finds his work in education satisfying, though, and has no plans to retire.

His wife, Brenda, teaches general science, psychology and sociology at Norton Community High School. Their four children all graduated from Norton schools. The couple also has two daughters-in-law and two grandchildren. They will add a son-in-law to the family later this year.

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: Greg Mann...the Man [Re: RedStorm] #188058 03/30/11 08:18 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Well deserved recognition. Congratulations to Greg Mann and his family.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Greg Mann...the Man [Re: RichardDSalyer] #188061 03/30/11 08:49 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Congratulation Greg. I know Greg from when he lived in Leoti, very respectable man in and out of the school setting.

Lance Geyer

Re: Greg Mann...the Man [Re: L.Geyer] #188143 03/31/11 12:36 PM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
Congrats to Greg Mann!!

Re: Greg Mann...the Man [Re: Kit Harris] #188163 03/31/11 02:57 PM
RJW1 Offline
Congrats, Greg!

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: Greg Mann...the Man [Re: RJW1] #188187 03/31/11 05:18 PM
Kale Mann Offline
I too would like to say Congrats publicly and also add that in my obviously biased opinion he is very deserving of this award as well as the induction into the KWCA Hall of Fame which will occur in October. The best part is that he is a very humble person and gives much of the credit to others. He certainly wasn't self promoting to recieve these awards, but his colleagues felt he had earned them.

Truly a good example to follow.

Thanks Dad!

Head Coach- Blue Valley High School
Re: Greg Mann...the Man [Re: Kale Mann] #188255 04/01/11 02:22 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Just goes to show if you hang around long enough. . .

Seriously, thank you very much.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: Greg Mann...the Man [Re: GregMann] #188286 04/01/11 12:58 PM
K
Kit Harris Offline
K
Well deserved for sure!

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 209 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)