Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R.I.P. christopher sullivan #189548 04/26/11 12:15 AM
W
wrestlingmomxx3 Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Christopher Sullivan a Hutchinson Wrestler. 2 time state medalist (3rd 2010 3rd 2011) 3xS.. Chris will not make it after tommorrow and goodbyes are being said as we speak... Chris was a great kid a great athlete and a better friend.. Chris was very involved in the church and was a good student.. He was always positive and he loved to hangout with friends. his family is going through alot right now and would really appreciate the prayers and im ure chris would appreciate it also... Your always with us chris and you will be missed dearly...

Re: R.I.P. christopher sullivan [Re: wrestlingmomxx3] #189552 04/26/11 12:42 AM
badbo Offline
Deeply sorry to hear he is ill. Our family met him several times at tournaments. Our prayers go out to his family. Just be with his family in this time of need.

The Pursel's

Re: R.I.P. christopher sullivan [Re: wrestlingmomxx3] #189553 04/26/11 12:52 AM
T
tlg Offline
T
I met Chris while we were waiting in line for a Black Friday special at the Hutchinson Walmart. He was with his mom and we were stuck in a line from 1 a.m. to 5a.m. I had quite a list of Christmas items I needed to buy for my nursing home residents and was unable to do so because the rules said we needed to stay in line. Chris with suprisingly good cheer, offered to take my list and go pick out samples for me to look at. Throughout that morning I got a glimpse of how wonderful this kid was. He joked with his mom and seemed very respectful even when the clock struck 5 and we found out there weren't enough specials to go around. I heard this afternoon about what had happened and how affected some Hays kids were especially the Cheer squad. I have been on his Facebook page and urge all to visit there. As I read through the posts I could feel what a huge hole he leaves behind. He was obviously special to many people and will be greatly missed. My heart and prayers go out to him and his family.

Re: R.I.P. christopher sullivan [Re: tlg] #189563 04/26/11 12:04 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
This news hit us all in the stomach. I met Chris for the first time on our Colorado trip. He was very respectful to us as coaches and I know the team had a fun time with him. My heart goes out to his family and I will miss him.

I'm speaking to myself here also so allow me please...

We are all one heartbeat away from eternity. No amount of good works can save us. But God is full of mercy. Jesus Christ came, lived a perfect life that you and I can't live, and died on the cross in our place, as our substitute. He then rose from the dead, proving He is God and defeated death. We broke the law and Jesus was the only one that could pay the fine. We have to teach our kids, tell our family and friends and speak up even when it's uncomfortable that heaven and hell are real. We have to repent (turn from sin) and put our trust in Jesus Christ. God will forgive us once and for all, open our eyes to the truth and grant us eternal life. Do this today, we may not have tomorrow. Remember this is not just "my story". This is God's story from the bible.

May all of us as parents hug our kids today...

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: R.I.P. christopher sullivan [Re: Chief Renegade] #189569 04/26/11 01:16 PM
S
swerner Offline
S
I didnt know him as good as some other people but I know nobody's ever going to forget the kid running around with the crazy blue mohawk. I know there's no need to say goodbye because he'll always be an angel on the mat. I'll be praying for his family, friends, and team .

Re: R.I.P. christopher sullivan [Re: swerner] #189572 04/26/11 01:38 PM
S
shwrestlingmom Offline
S
Keeping his family and friends in our prayers.

The Kmiec family

Re: R.I.P. christopher sullivan [Re: shwrestlingmom] #189573 04/26/11 01:42 PM
R
RichardGFergola Offline
R
This is sad news. I am sorry to hear this and my prayers go out to the family.

Last edited by RichardGFergola; 04/26/11 01:48 PM.
Re: R.I.P. christopher sullivan [Re: RichardGFergola] #189574 04/26/11 01:55 PM
MVHS2011 Offline
Very sorry to hear about Chris. I just spoke to him at Brute Nationals. Great kid. Will never forget his blue mohawk. Prayers to his family and friends.

The Hodges family.

Re: R.I.P. christopher sullivan [Re: MVHS2011] #189579 04/26/11 03:12 PM
M
mamastewart Offline
M
My heart is so very heavy for the Sullivan family and our team! We will never forget his lovable antics, dedication to his team and the sport, and all the laughter he brought us!! He will be missed greatly by many!

CONCERT OF PRAYER FOR CHRIS SULLIVAN
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 27th, 2011
7:00 - 10:00 PM
SOUTH HUTCHINSON CHRISTIAN CHURCH
111 East 1st
SOUTH HUTCHINSON, KS

Re: R.I.P. christopher sullivan [Re: mamastewart] #189600 04/27/11 08:04 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Hutchinson News

Saying goodbye
Family and friends mourn loss of Hutch student whose life touched many.By Kathy Hanks - The Hutchinson News - khanks@hutchnews.com

Chris Sullivan broke his personal record in pole-vaulting this track season. Earlier in the winter he placed third in 6A state wrestling.

The 17-year-old Hutchinson High School junior was currently setting a goal to take first in wrestling next year.

His mother, Jenny Sullivan, describes her son as a disciplined athlete who could be ornery at times.

On Tuesday, family and friends were grieving, in disbelief, trying to understand the unfathomable: Why had Chris attempted suicide Friday, leaving his loved ones to gather around him at Wichita's Wesley Medical Center, waiting for his passing?

"We called people in to say their goodbyes," she said.

By Tuesday evening, people were still coming.

"He was a big-hearted, fun-loving, sometimes ornery kid," his mother said. "He cared about everybody."

Chris is the son of Jenny and John Sullivan and the brother of Nicole and Trevor Sullivan.

She didn't realize the magnitude of his connections until the people began pouring into the hospital. Chris' life touched hundreds of people - classmates, coaches and church family have been flocking to his side to say their goodbyes.

"I wish I knew why he did this," said Jonathan Peterson, a classmate and wrestling buddy. "This was totally out of the blue."

He described Chris as a brother who was always there for him, bringing him up when he was down.

"He was an amazing kid and an amazing wrestler," Peterson said.

Shane Goetz, another friend and HHS wrestler, also stayed by Chris' side.

"He was one of those people you always wanted to be around," Goetz said. "He'll never be forgotten. I'll just always remember the good times."

The suddenness has blindsided everyone, including Mike Garcia, his wrestling coach.

"I never, never saw it coming," Garcia said. "I was just talking to him on Thursday about things that were coming up in June and July."

Setting goals and working toward them were part of Chris' character, Garcia said.

"It has been real tough. He was a favorite and was fun to work with. He had that wrestler's mentality. He was somewhat fearless and wanted to do his best."

While this spring's windy weather made pole-vaulting even more of a challenge, Chris managed to break his record by vaulting 12 feet, said Hutchinson High School head track coach Bret Eckert.

"He was passionate about pole vaulting," Eckert said. "When Chris found something he liked to do, he went after it full force."

He was also the kid who kept things lively over at the pole-vaulting pit.

"Chris was a free spirit," Eckert said, though well-grounded. "The kids knew where they stood with him. He would tell you how he felt whether you wanted to hear it or not. He was not afraid to offer his opinion."

Along with wrestling and track, Sullivan also played soccer.

It's a tragedy that no one can understand, Eckert said.

An active member of South Hutchinson Christian Church, Chris helped serve communion, was active in Kids for Christ and was the main puppeteer in the church puppet program.

"He was so good with kids, portraying Bobbie the Puppet," said his pastor, Jeff Arnold. "I challenged him to go to bible college. He would have made a fine young minister; he was a good man already."

"Through the puppet Bobbie, he told the kids at his church to love Jesus and have a relationship with Jesus and believe he died on his cross for our sins."

Arnold said comfort comes in the fact that he was a Christian.

"Let's not pass up an opportunity to speak well of others, let's encourage and not tear down, and let's not be so focused on ourselves that we don't see the pain in others," Arnold said. "If we do that, Chris' memory can live on."

After Sullivan dies, his organs will be harvested, with his family's hope that others could live through Chris' death.

"He was young and healthy and it seemed like a fitting outcome," Jenny Sullivan said, as she continued to keep a vigil by her son.

A concert of prayer, originally scheduled to pray for Chris' recovery, will be held at 7 p.m. today at South Hutchinson Christian Church, at the corner of First Avenue and Poplar Street in South Hutchinson,

"We'll be praying for Chris' family and friends, and everyone who knew him and is grieving at this time," Arnold said.

Through her immediate grief and shock, Jenny Sullivan urged young people that if they are feeling suicidal to please talk to someone.

"There is no problem that should come to this," she said.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: R.I.P. christopher sullivan [Re: RichardDSalyer] #189607 04/27/11 12:25 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
I am so sad to hear this news. Suicide is so hard on survivors. I know for I am one. There are places for hope and healing. Iris Bolton's book "MY Son...My Son" may be a good place to start.

We are praying for the family.

Mark

Last edited by back in the day; 04/27/11 12:26 PM.

The older I get the better I was!

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 169 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)