Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Bo Pursel Commits to Baker University #189880 05/07/11 11:26 AM
H
Husker Fan Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Well this is a huge announcement for the Baker University Wildcat Wrestling Program as one the best 2012 high school senior wrestlers in Kansas has committed to the Wildcats for the 2012-2013 season. This announcement on the Baker website details the many great wrestling accomplishments of Bo Pursel of Lansing High School. Bo is a Big Time National wrestler and recruit. Click on the link and you will see a great picture of the Pursel family on signing day along with the article. Even Mike took a great picture at least a lot better than I did a couple of years ago!

Bo Pursel, Congratulations on your legendary youth and high school wrestling career. Best of luck in your upcoming senior season and in your academic and wrestling college career at Baker University which will start in the 2012-2013 season. Got to say congratulations to Coach Jimmy May of the Baker University Wildcats in signing an outstanding national recruit.

I also think this is tremendous news for the entire Kansas college and university wrestling community!

http://www.bakeru.edu/athletics2/men/wrestling/news-archive/4662-bo-pursel-signs-early

5.6.11 | Wrestling
Three-time Kansas State Champion signs with Baker

BALDWIN CITY, Kan. – Reloaded may have been the theme for Baker wrestling in 2010-11. Looking ahead to 2011-12 and further, the team might be considered armed and dangerous, as coach May has continued to assemble a squad that has all the makings of greatness.

Head coach Jimmy May is already looking forward to 2012-13, as he announced the signing of Bo Pursel a junior from Lansing High School in Lansing, Kansas.

Along with being one of the top wrestlers in the state of Kansas, Pursel has made a name for himself on the national stage. A three-time 5A Kansas State Champion with an overall high school record of 110-8, along with being crowned a seven-time Kansas State Freestyle Champion, six-time Kansas State Greco Champion and five-time USA Wrestling State Champion, has made him one of the most sought after recruits in the state.

“Bo is not only one of the best wrestlers coming out of Kansas in 2012, but he is one of the top high school wrestlers in the nation,” said head Baker wrestling coach Jimmy May. “We are extremely excited Bo has committed early to Baker University. We feel his early signing only serves to validate the direction our young program is headed. He is an outstanding student-athlete and everything we are looking for in a wrestler.”

After just two seasons in existence, Baker wrestling has continued to make leaps on the national level. This past season the Wildcats closed out the season at No. 16 in the final Top 20 NAIA Wrestling Coaches’ Poll and garnered two All-Americans in Levi Calhoun and Jarell Price.

Baker University has yet to be defeated in a dual meet, they currently own an 11-0 all-time record.
Athletics Home
Men's Sports
Baseball
Basketball
Cross Country
Football
Golf
Soccer
Spirit Squad
Tennis
Track & Field
Wrestling
Roster
Coaching Staff
Schedule
Baker University Summer Wrestling Camp
Records
Facilities
Recruits
Wrestling Recruitment Form
News Archive
Women's Sports
About Baker Athletics
Facilities
Welcome Recruits
Recruiting Questionnaire
Athletics Directory & Media Contacts
Tickets
Champions of Character
Sports Information Department
Sports Medicine
Drug Testing Policy
Title IX
Hall of Fame
Photos
Baker Athletics Alumni
News Archive
Women's Sports
Basketball
Bowling
Cross Country
Golf
Soccer
Softball
Spirit Squad
Tennis
Track & Field
Volleyball

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: Bo Pursel Signs with Baker University [Re: Husker Fan] #189882 05/07/11 11:42 AM
A
AAA Offline
A
Congrats to Bo amd Baker!!

The Seybolds

Re: Bo Pursel Signs with Baker University [Re: AAA] #189883 05/07/11 12:33 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
That is great news! Congratulations to the Pursel's. In my opinion, Baker is a perfect fit for Bo. This signing puts Baker on the map early for next year. Jimmy is putting together a top shelf program. Did anyone doubt that he would?

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Bo Pursel Signs with Baker University [Re: Chief Renegade] #189884 05/07/11 12:47 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade
That is great news! Congratulations to the Pursel's. In my opinion, Baker is a perfect fit for Bo. This signing puts Baker on the map early for next year. Jimmy is putting together a top shelf program. Did anyone doubt that he would?

I know I never doubted it. I do not see how anyone who spends anytime talking to Jimmy May and his vision for the program could possibly doubt it. Jimmy May knows how to build wrestling programs and he loves our sport. We are very fortunate to have Jimmy in Kansas now.

This is quite a boost for the Baker program to have Bo Pursel and the entire Pursel family as part of the Baker University Wrestling program!

Vince Nowak

Re: Bo Pursel Signs with Baker University [Re: Husker Fan] #189891 05/07/11 04:56 PM
S
shudog Offline
S
Congrats to Bo and his family. All the hard work has paid off. I know Bo will continue to excel and make an impact on the Baker program.
Brian Schumacher

Re: Bo Pursel Signs with Baker University [Re: shudog] #189892 05/07/11 05:57 PM
Enetophobic Offline
He signed a letter of intent?

Enlighten Me!
Re: Bo Pursel Signs with Baker University [Re: Enetophobic] #189905 05/08/11 02:52 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Enetophobic

Loc: Outside of Bauhmolder, Germany... He signed a letter of intent?

Here is the link:

http://www.bakeru.edu/athletics2/men/wrestling/

Re: Bo Pursel Signs with Baker University [Re: smokeycabin] #189908 05/08/11 06:25 PM
Enetophobic Offline
Originally Posted By: smokeycabin
Enetophobic

Loc: Outside of Bauhmolder, Germany... He signed a letter of intent?

Here is the link:

http://www.bakeru.edu/athletics2/men/wrestling/

According to the NAIA site, a wrestler may not sign with a school until after September of his senior year which would fall a full year prior to the Fall enrollment of that student's freshman year of college.

So....Has he signed or not? I would wonder if by posting this all over their website if it isn't a little bragadocious and a little premature. Cal Baptist was NAIA and was put on suspension for similiar situation, because it gives the mindset of a kid being spoken for and off limits to other colleges within that same division of talking to him.

Enlighten Me!
Re: Bo Pursel Signs with Baker University [Re: Enetophobic] #189913 05/09/11 10:03 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S

signing dates

For Prospective Student-Athletes Enrolling in the 2011-2012 Academic Year
Sport Initial Signing Date Final Signing Date
Basketball and All Other Sports Not Listed (Early Period) November 10, 2010 November 17, 2010
Football (Midyear JC Transfer) December 15, 2010 January 15, 2011
Football (Regular Period) February 2, 2011 April 1, 2011
Field Hockey, Soccer, Track and Field, Cross Country, Men's Water Polo February 2, 2011 August 1, 2011
Basketball (Regular Period) April 13, 2011 May 18, 2011
All Other Sports Not Listed (Regular Period) April 13, 2011 August 1, 2011
National Letter of Intent link: http://nats.us/rc-recruiting/rc-national-letter-of-intent.html

Re: Bo Pursel Signs with Baker University [Re: Enetophobic] #189914 05/09/11 10:34 AM
H
Husker Fan Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Enetophobic

.......So....Has he signed or not? I would wonder if by posting this all over their website if it isn't a little bragadocious and a little premature. Cal Baptist was NAIA and was put on suspension for similiar situation, because it gives the mindset of a kid being spoken for and off limits to other colleges within that same division of talking to him.

A little bragadocious due to posting it all over their website????

You have to be kidding. I believe every school in America announces their signings in all sports including wrestling on their websites. They do that to promote their programs. It makes their alumni and fans excited about the program. When they are excited about the program they tend to financially support the program more. College wrestling in particular needs excitement in their financial supporters. I am a financial supporter of the Baker University wrestling program and this announcement got me excited both due to quality of the wrestler, the person and family he is part of. I am very happy that they have chosen to be part of the Baker University wrestling program and part of the university. That statement about this being bragadocious on Baker's part makes me question what your motive is in this?

I do not know the NAIA rule on this nor do I know exactly what was actually signed. I do know that two years ago it was announced in April of 2009 that a Kansas high school junior wrestler had committed to play football at a Division I school. That is NCAA and not NAIA and a different sport. If it is a rule though it is one that should be changed in my opinion. If a young athlete in their junior year has made up their mind and wants to get the recruiting process over with so they can concentrate fully on their senior year of academics and athletics, I see nothing wrong with that.

Vince Nowak

Re: Bo Pursel Signs with Baker University [Re: ] #189917 05/09/11 02:25 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Andy,

That is perhaps true. But even if it is true what you are saying about his intentions I still do not like this part of his post.

Quote:
by posting this all over their website if it isn't a little bragadocious

There is no way I see a college posting a committment on their website as being bragadocious. I believe that is normal operating procedure for most colleges in just about every sport today.

Vince Nowak

Re: Bo Pursel Signs with Baker University [Re: Husker Fan] #189918 05/09/11 02:33 PM
Enetophobic Offline
Originally Posted By: Husker Fan
Andy,

That is perhaps true. But even if it is true what you are saying about his intentions I still do not like this part of his post.

Quote:
by posting this all over their website if it isn't a little bragadocious

There is no way I see a college posting a committment on their website as being bragadocious. I believe that is normal operating procedure for most colleges in just about every sport today.

I was thinking in terms of having an "official signing" a full year prior too committing to a college sounds a little off on the part of the school. However, if I worked for a college and landed a kid with his credentials, I would probably go all out to show the universe I landed the kid as it is very good press. However...I just want to make sure that the verbage of signing is clarified. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a rule against even a mock signing for press this early, but I could be wrong.

Enlighten Me!
Re: Bo Pursel Signs with Baker University [Re: ] #189931 05/09/11 09:43 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Congratulations to Bo and his family. I think that it is great Baker has college wrestling, and it sounds like they are moving in a positive direction since starting their program a short time back.

Lee Girard
Re: Bo Pursel Signs with Baker University [Re: ] #189934 05/09/11 10:50 PM
Enetophobic Offline
Originally Posted By: andrew p hurla
http://nats.us/rc-recruiting/rc-recruiting-rules/rc-naia-rules.html

I have a pretty good knowledge of wrestling. Second, as a Philosophy major, I understand the need for precise language in articles and contracts.

Exactly! Go check out Central Baptist the NAIA program that just finished its first year of wrestling. It lists on flier for camps and even on their website that the coach was an All American or National Champ in the JCNCAA? Uh, unless it was called something else back in the day I think he probably was NJCAA.

Enlighten Me!
Re: Bo Pursel Signs with Baker University [Re: ReDPloyd] #189935 05/09/11 10:52 PM
MVHS2011 Offline
Congrats to Bo and family! I thought Ryan would never see him again....wishful thinking on my part.

Good luck as a senior most likely a 4x State Champion.

The Hodges'

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 112 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)