Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Reno Air Races and Kansas connection #192125 09/19/11 02:09 AM
Coach Alley Offline OP
OP Offline
I heard on the news today that Chuck Elvin and his family were injured at the Reno Air Races this year. They said Chuck and his kids were in serious condition in the hospital and his wife has not been accounted for. I pray its not our Elvin family we know in the wrestling community but if it is, they need our prayers. Pray for all those involved in this tradgy.

Terry Alley

You've been Coaching how long?
Re: Reno Air Races and Kansas connection [Re: Coach Alley] #192126 09/19/11 02:32 AM
L
L Grater Offline
L
This is what is posted on the "Home Page" .. Please keep the Elvin family in your prayers!

Chuck and Cherie Elvin, former State Chairman and Treasurer for USAW-Kansas, along with two sons and a daughter-in-law, were involved in the recent deadly air crash in Reno, NV. Cherie is currently listed as missing, while Chuck and the rest of the family have suffered injuries and are being hospitalized. The family has requested that people visit the family's CaringBridge site rather than attempt to call at this time. (9/18/11)

Re: Reno Air Races and Kansas connection [Re: L Grater] #192133 09/19/11 05:32 PM
H
Harry LaMar Offline
H
Chuck and Cherie are pioneers for the state of Kansas wrestling. They dedicated their lives to kids and our sport. Cherie always, always, met you with a smile. She truly cared about each kid that ever participated in our sport. She sure seemed to be Chuck's rock, and his true love. I have shed tears. My prayers have began for the family. Please keep us posted. I have tried the Caring Bridge site and could not get in.

H. LaMar

Re: Reno Air Races and Kansas connection [Re: Harry LaMar] #192137 09/19/11 06:30 PM
usawks1 Offline
From what I've been told ... the four including Chuck all have severe leg injuries. Cherie is still listed as missing. (I could log into Caring Bridge yesterday but the author has limited access today)

I agree with Harry ... this is very stressful news. I am still holding out hope that Cherie will be okay.

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Reno Air Races and Kansas connection [Re: usawks1] #192141 09/20/11 02:15 AM
G
Gary Ulmer Offline
G
The family has asked for us to repect their privacy, and so the CaringBridge website has been made restricted. What remains for all of us to do is the only thing that we could have done anyway and that is, to keep Chuck, Cherie, and their family in our thoughts and prayers.

Gary Ulmer

Re: Reno Air Races and Kansas connection [Re: Gary Ulmer] #192159 09/21/11 01:31 AM
usawks1 Offline
Sadly, the Kansas wrestling family and myself personally, have lost another dear friend. Cherie Elvin was a foundational rock in our organization. (how many are we going to have to replace?)

Cherie was our State Treasurer through some very rough years for USAWKS but with the leadership of her and her husband Chuck, brought us back to solid ground.

Cherie was instrumental in organizing the Senior National trip for around 30 years. Her management skills were exceptional and as Harry hinted earlier ... her passion for Kansas wrestling was undeniable.

RIP my friend.

But still remember Chuck and the rest of the family as they have to deal with physical injuries and those to their hearts.

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: Reno Air Races and Kansas connection [Re: usawks1] #192161 09/21/11 03:20 AM
G
Gary Ulmer Offline
G
I to have lost a great friend, as all of you. We have heard from many of you wanting to help in some way.

The family still asks that they be allowed to deal with the present privately. We all soon will be able to help them with their grief and they with ours.

Chuck and his family will need all of us in the wrestling family as friends in the coming weeks, months, and the years ahead. Until then keep them in your thoughts.

Gary Ulmer

Re: Reno Air Races and Kansas connection [Re: Gary Ulmer] #192163 09/21/11 12:16 PM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
Prayers.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: Reno Air Races and Kansas connection [Re: Brent Lane] #192171 09/21/11 11:32 PM
Beckie Humphrey Offline
The news is devastating! Chuck and Cherie put insurmountable time and detail to our Kansas Wrestling Family. They were instrumental in making the 2011 Senior National Trip to Virginia Beach a reality for Tre'. In addition to wrestling chit chat we shared, our family will also miss chatting with Cherie as we cheered at her grandchildren's, and my children's variety of games. Bill Elvin, son of Chuck & Cherie, along with his wife Rachel are natural followers in his parents footsteps in supporting our youth! A special prayer for the grandchildren (at school with mine)as I can't begin to imagine the lack of understanding, and hurt they are experiencing

Re: Reno Air Races and Kansas connection [Re: Beckie Humphrey] #192184 09/22/11 01:02 PM
usawks1 Offline
Family vows to overcome Nevada air race tragedy
By SCOTT SONNER
The Associated Press
SCOTT SONNER The Associated Press
Updated: 2011-09-22T08:04:23Z

Cathleen Allison
Members of the Elvin family addressed reporters Wednesday in Reno, Nev. Cherie Elvin, 71, was killed in last week’s crash, which also injured four members of the Elvin family, including Brian Elvin (center).
More News
Family vows to overcome Nevada air race tragedy
For the Elvin family, the National Air Race Championships had become an annual pilgrimage from their home base in the Kansas City area and across the country.

Despite the trauma of last week’s air race, where matriarch Cherie Elvin was killed and four family members were seriously injured, the family gathered Wednesday at a Reno hospital to assure supporters that their brood was getting better.

And more importantly, to say that Cherie Elvin died doing what she loved best.

“There wasn’t any other place she’d rather be,” said Jim Elvin, 41, a son from Atlanta who was not hurt in the accident. He was standing Wednesday alongside brother Brian Elvin, 49, a pilot who lost part of his right leg in the accident but already was out of a wheelchair and using a walker.

“We want everyone to understand, as tragic as what happened to her, she was where she wanted to be with her family. She was enjoying those races,” he said.

Allen Martin Elvin, a cousin, added: “Cherie would not want this accident, as tragic as it is, to be the reason the air races are canceled.”

“She loved it and we believe she would want all of us to continue to love it,” said Allen Martin Elvin, who goes by the name Allen Martin in his work as a CBS news anchorman in San Francisco.

He served as family spokesman during a half-hour news conference Wednesday at Renown Regional Medical Center.

“As a family, the Elvins have been attending them for more than 16 years. It was more than just an event. It was a chance for a little mini-family reunion which actually then became a tradition.”

Chuck Elvin, a retired TWA pilot living with his wife Cherie in Lenexa, remained in critical condition but was talking Wednesday and showing signs of the “Elvin sense of humor,” Allen Elvin said.

Brothers Bill and Brian, both of Overland Park, were listed in fair condition; Brian’s wife, Linda Elvin, was in serious condition at St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center across town.

It was John — Jim, Bill and Brian’s brother — who first started dragging other family members to the air races in Reno about 16 years ago, they said.

“After that, the Elvins planned for it every single year,” Allen Martin Elvin said. “Because you didn’t dare have a scheduling conflict when it came time for the Reno Air Races.”

Jim Elvin resisted at first but now makes the trip every year and can’t imagine not attending again next year.

“It took them a couple of years to talk me into flying out to Reno to see these guys fly their planes,” he said. “It’s a bug. It will bite you.”

NO CHANCE
Jimmy Leeward, the aviator whose plane crashed at the Reno, Nev., air races, had no chance to save his flight after likely losing consciousness from forces more extreme than what most fighter pilots endure, flying experts said Wednesday.

The aircraft shot skyward Friday before crashing at what appeared to be full throttle. Investigators continue to look for a cause of the crash at the National Championship Air Races, which could take months.

Experts who have reviewed amateur videos from the scene, photographs and witness accounts say it appears Leeward wasn’t controlling the plane in its last seconds.

Experts say the plane might have been traveling at more than 400 mph when it went vertical, exerting 11 times the force of gravity on Leeward, knocking him unconscious.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/21/3159067/family-vows-to-overcome-reno-tragedy.html#ixzz1Ygp0nkEA

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: Reno Air Races and Kansas connection [Re: usawks1] #192186 09/22/11 02:13 PM
ROBERT M. GONZALES Offline
Thank You Randy Hinderliter for the Information and the web site. I just received a message from Mike Clair of PA. & LeeRoy Smith of OK. They have shared the tragic news with all of the State Leaders and ask that we provide Prayers for a great Kansas Women and her family. I have fwd the same email message on to leadership organizations here in Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska. I know coach Hagerty of Blue Springs was sharing the info with his state. This is exteremely diffcult for me and many others here in Kansas. I owe so much to the Elvin Family. Gary Ulmer introduced me to Chuck in 1985 and got me involved in Kansas Kids Inc. RMG blush cry

RMG
Re: Reno Air Races and Kansas connection [Re: ROBERT M. GONZALES] #192188 09/22/11 05:25 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Our thougths and prayers are with the Elvin family.

Lance and Crista Geyer
Hays KS

Re: Reno Air Races and Kansas connection [Re: usawks1] #192219 09/23/11 11:33 PM
G
Gary Ulmer Offline
G
For the many who have asked, there has not been a memorial for Cherie set up as of yet. There are still terrible injuries that need to be dealt with. Chuck has had one surgery and has two more coming. He is in critical condition. Linda, Brian, and Bill all sustained horrible injuries, are listed as serious, but are improving. Brian has even taken some steps inspite of having lost the lower portion of his right leg. Bill and Linda have more severe injuries than Brian to their legs and upper bodies.

Linda by happen stance was taken to a different hospital than the other Elvins, so that has caused some stress.

The Reno community is giving the entire Elvin family lodging, food, and free air travel back and forth from Kansas.

What to do right now? Have them in your prayers. You have been doing a great job with that so far. The hospitalized are making impovements, much of that is because they know that the Kansas wrestling family cares.

Gary Ulmer

Re: Reno Air Races and Kansas connection [Re: Gary Ulmer] #192240 09/26/11 05:41 PM
Mike Juby Offline
TheMat.com now has an article concerning the Elvins. You can see the article at http://www.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=24135.

According to the article, Chuck has been moved out of intensive care,

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 167 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,942
Posts250,374
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)