Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Friday only weigh in #196505 01/13/12 08:09 PM
J
jule Offline OP
OP Offline
J
what is the deal with friday only weigh in's. If i get off at 5 pm and the tournament I want to go to is 2 or 3 hours away. I may not make it. Then I have the cost of a motel room or the cost of driving back home and back again. Why are we doing this

Re: Friday only weigh in [Re: jule] #196506 01/13/12 08:13 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Where are you from and where are you headed?

If that is the case I bet the tournament director might be able to work somthing out in your case.

Satellite weigh ins are not much more than a home weigh in for the most part.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Friday only weigh in [Re: jule] #196512 01/14/12 01:18 AM
P
Purple_Freak Offline
P
Does the tournament you are going to not have a remote weigh-in any closer? I could almost bet theat the hosting club would let your club host a weigh-in if they asked and followed all the procedures.

One of the biggest thing I have liked about Friday only weigh-ins is that there are more and more tournaments that are getting started on time.

Re: Friday only weigh in [Re: Purple_Freak] #196689 01/16/12 12:59 PM
J
jule Offline OP
OP Offline
J
If the tournament needs Friday only weigh in to start on time then they need to find some one who can run a tournament. Was at a tournament this weekend they hand bracket have fri and sat weigh in and started on time. So make it hard for half you wrestlers to make it easier for say 20 to 30 adults. I think it will give us smaller numbers at some tournaments. I will be looking at this and I may not go to fri only weigh in's. Not sure I want to reschedule my work every week for this. Since I work 6 days a week I have to have a special request for every sat. Now I have to get off early for weigh in to.

Re: Friday only weigh in [Re: jule] #196692 01/16/12 02:03 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Your club doesn't want to run a weigh in for the tournament you are going to?

I run a tournament and I wouldn't say I need Friday, because it is a whole lot harder on the tournament directors to get all the e-mails double triple check making sure that you didn't miss anyone.

I have had Fri and Sat weigh in and hand bracket 1100 kids and start dang near on time. It isn't all the tournament.

I kind of feel as a TD if I am going to do satelite weigh ins, (outside Track Wrestling) is very difficult to do any large number. I am only going to do it once on Friday nights.

The majority want the satelite weigh in, Fridays only is just part of them.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: Friday only weigh in [Re: Teamroper] #196695 01/16/12 02:55 PM
bawoody Offline
Jule,
Friday only weigh-ins is a convenience for the hosting tournament. Yes, it is possible to start on time with a Saturday morning weigh-in using both Track Wrestling and doing it by hand. BUT, I guarantee you and a lot of other volunteers helping you are not going to get a lot of sleep the night before and you will be scrambling Saturday morning tiring to make all the changes. We have used Track Wrestling for several years now both with and without Saturday morning weigh-ins and it was rare that I was in bed before 3. With Steven Foster running TW for us and having a Friday only weigh-in we had everything printed Friday night and for the first time ever, I was in bed by midnight.

Goddard provided many satellite weigh-in locations on Friday night to make it easy on clubs around the state. Obviously you can’t make everyone happy all the time and I’m sorry you are one of those individuals.

Every year some has to complain about how a tournament is run. I BEG you to come and help at a tournament and find out how much time, planning and hard work volunteers put in to make a tournament run successful. There is not a single tournament director out there that doesn’t have at last one issue they would like to see fixed at their tournament. Every tournament wants to be successful and not have any hiccups along the way so people like you don’t have a reason to come on the talk forum and complain.

With TW becoming more and more popular you will have a difficult time finding a tournament your kids will be able to wrestle at if you choose to skip the Friday only weigh-ins. Our kids are only young once, sometimes you need to make those small sacrifices along the way so that our kids get the most out of the sport.

Bruce Woodruff
Re: Friday only weigh in [Re: bawoody] #196834 01/18/12 04:24 AM
J
jule Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Bruce, I have helped run a tournament trust me I know what goes into running one. I am not trying to complain. Just wondering about some reasons for this. I think about some of the people in our club that travel part way the night before a tournament stay the night and then finish the drive on Sat. . I am sure it will go more and more to Fri. only weigh ins. Seems ironic when my oldest was wrestling it was unheard of to have a fri. night weigh in. Yes, that was a number of years ago!! Hush the age comments. As you know change is hard for a lot of people and with time no one notices the change. It will be ok when it is the norm and not the change.

Re: Friday only weigh in [Re: jule] #196839 01/18/12 12:28 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Friday only weigh-ins are our way of punishing Oklahoma wrestlers competing in Kansas. wink

Re: Friday only weigh in [Re: sportsfan02] #196850 01/18/12 03:23 PM
jaydjayk Offline
I personally think the Friday night weigh ins are better for the kids. For kids that battle weight Friday night weigh ins give them the opportunity to have a good meal on friday night and get good rest. Having to wait until Saturday mornings to weigh in gives these wrestlers 12 more hours of "weight watching". I have seen so many kids that weigh in on Saturday mornings go all day with out eating. Alot of wrestlers I know do not eat the morning of tournaments and most of them do not eat until they are done competing. As we all know most kids get "bubble guts" before a match so alot of them choose not to eat until they are done for the day. Don't get me wrong I have alot of sympathy for parents in this situation. Work constrictions do put alot of added stress on us. My sons have been wrestling for 3 years now and I have met some really great people and the one thing I can vouch for is most parents are willing to help each other out. My suggestion to those of you who are having trouble with Friday night weigh ins is to ask other parents for help. I have picked up kids for weigh ins and my kids have also been picked up. I know if you ask around you will find help! WRESTLING PARENTS STICK TOGETHER!!

"PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY"
Re: Friday only weigh in [Re: jaydjayk] #196854 01/18/12 03:59 PM
W
Wrestlerspappy Offline
W
I usaully am the carpool but when i cant make it others step up. which makes it a lot easier on everyone involved

Originally Posted By: jaydjayk
I personally think the Friday night weigh ins are better for the kids. For kids that battle weight Friday night weigh ins give them the opportunity to have a good meal on friday night and get good rest. Having to wait until Saturday mornings to weigh in gives these wrestlers 12 more hours of "weight watching". I have seen so many kids that weigh in on Saturday mornings go all day with out eating. Alot of wrestlers I know do not eat the morning of tournaments and most of them do not eat until they are done competing. As we all know most kids get "bubble guts" before a match so alot of them choose not to eat until they are done for the day. Don't get me wrong I have alot of sympathy for parents in this situation. Work constrictions do put alot of added stress on us. My sons have been wrestling for 3 years now and I have met some really great people and the one thing I can vouch for is most parents are willing to help each other out. My suggestion to those of you who are having trouble with Friday night weigh ins is to ask other parents for help. I have picked up kids for weigh ins and my kids have also been picked up. I know if you ask around you will find help! WRESTLING PARENTS STICK TOGETHER!!

Jason Ford
Re: Friday only weigh in [Re: Wrestlerspappy] #196896 01/19/12 03:21 AM
J
jule Offline OP
OP Offline
J
sportsfan02 you had to go there didn't ya LOL shame on you

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 180 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)