Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: HS Wrestling on Metro Sports [Re: sportsfan02] #197385 01/25/12 04:09 PM
WillyM Offline
As I remember there were multiple problem at INTRUST. Cost for KSHSAA to rent, fan complaints on high cost of concessions, no wrestler/family ice chests in seating area, parking, attitude of event staff. May-probably more issues and complaints.

Heard/read no compalints about Hartman--only issue is not big enough to host a 3 class State.

Think there were some complaints about the 4A at Salina---primarily low attendance. (same number of schools (64)as joint 6A5A txy, but a lot less total and dense population base).

No sense in talking a 4 class State. 321A not leaving Hays--unless FHSU does another schedule conflict forcing the State txy to a thursday-friday

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: HS Wrestling on Metro Sports [Re: WillyM] #197395 01/25/12 04:34 PM
T
Tommyboy Offline
T
There was no problem with parking. The wrestling teams were allowed to take coolers in on the arena floors but not in the stands. Yes, concessions stand prices were high, but all arena prices are high (Kid's State in Topeka, Salina, Tulsa Nationals, Liberty Nationals, Hay's,Hartman Arena). You know that going into any big tournament.

Re: HS Wrestling on Metro Sports [Re: Tommyboy] #197497 01/26/12 06:48 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
I'm with Tommyboy...

Intrust is the best venue to hold the state tournament. If they put 4a in the tournament, the place would be electric. Downtown Wichita is already a great place to eat, drink and have a good time.

I always laugh at the people who really take the time to complain about walking a few blocks. It is good for you! I parked just east of the railroad tracks, east of the arena, and had to walk maybe a block for every session. There was always a place to park.

I don't know why ticket sales going up $2 per ticket would stop anybody from attending the tournament. You are either going or your not. If you say $2 more for a ticket is going to stop you than you probably don't attend regularly anyway and I hope I don't sit next to you cause I don't want to hear it.

No coolers in the stands. Who cares! The wrestlers did and would get to have them on the floor. If you are that hungry, eat before you go. Pack a lunch and keep it in your car but then you would have to walk back to your car again, so you might have a problem.

Every high school sporting event that can be held at Intrust should be. However, I would like to see Intrust officials be more community oriented. Intrust should want to hold every state tournament they can and it shouldn't be about making money. These are things big arena's should do for the community they represent. LET THEIR BE BANNERS!

Re: HS Wrestling on Metro Sports [Re: WillyM] #197500 01/26/12 06:58 PM
lazyman_1 Offline
Hartman Complaints:
-Hartman probably could have used some more security. If you wanted on the floor you walked on the floor. Too many people on the floor takes away from the wrestling going on at the state tournament.
-Prices for consessions were just as high as Intrust.
-No restaurants or bars to go to between sessions.
-I had a long walk in the parking lot before I got to the entrance.

Re: HS Wrestling on Metro Sports [Re: lazyman_1] #197503 01/26/12 08:03 PM
I
insidetie Offline
I
I liked the venue, overall I thought it was a great place to have the 5A/6A state. The only gripe I had (which I posted about on here the week after) was that we had nothing in the hospitality room for coaches. So we were stuck paying for food at the concessions (which was pricey). So even if we have to pay $10-$15 I would like to see a better room for the coaches at the tournament.

Jerad Gorney
Assistant Wrestling Coach- GEHS
Re: HS Wrestling on Metro Sports [Re: insidetie] #197504 01/26/12 08:16 PM
firehawk88 Offline
I thought it was easier to get into the White House than it was to get into Intrust. I also thought that TSA agents at airports have more of a sense of humor about "bombs" than the security of Intrust had. Plenty of room and a nice venue, but the personnel at Intrust left me wanting it to be hosted somewhere else. I was glad that it was moved to Hartman. I didn't notice the people getting onto the floor because I was in the stands. The food is costly no matter where it is hosted. That is a given. Give Intrust an attitude check before they get another shot. Trying to get a lady in a wheelchair into Intrust on a weekday was no easy task and it wasn't made easier by their staff.

Larry Woltje
Re: HS Wrestling on Metro Sports [Re: lazyman_1] #197507 01/26/12 09:01 PM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Hated the Coliseum, glad to never go back, stuffy, danky, stifling. Security were A-Holes, the epitome of the word A-Hole, just always tried to bully everyone.

Loved Intrust, can't believe KSHSAA/Wichita/Intrust let it go. Lots of people in town, what a way to showcase wrestling, Wichita and Kansas to family and friends. Lovely facility, very aesthetically pleasing, nice downtown area, great views, etc.

Thought I would hate going to Hartman after Intrust, actually was quite nice. Would still rather go to Intrust for reasons listed above but it was ok. Do not feel need for more security. Did not feel there were too many people on the floor, there was plenty of room. Did not feel they were just letting anybody down. They were still checking bands. There were plenty of places to eat near by, just not walking distance.

Koch was actually good too, actually kind of cool with fans right there near floor. Obviously could only support one class.

Don't remember parking ever being an issue at any of the facilities. Security was only an issue at Coliseum.

That's my assessment.

Totally agree that Intrust should be more community oriented but they obviously don't get it. They apparently don't understand that "sometimes you take money out of the bank", but "sometimes you have to put money in to the bank". They don't seem to understand the need to showcase their facility in the present for patronization in the future. People might come back for more if they get a little taste in their mouth.

Re: HS Wrestling on Metro Sports [Re: XGHSWC] #198127 02/01/12 11:49 PM
M
Metro_Wrestling Offline OP
OP Offline
M
TWC Metro Sports KC will be broadcasting the Finals of the EKL Tournament from St. Thomas Aquinas HS on tape delay.

Re: HS Wrestling on Metro Sports [Re: Metro_Wrestling] #198140 02/02/12 02:45 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: Metro_Wrestling
TWC Metro Sports KC will be broadcasting the Finals of the EKL Tournament from St. Thomas Aquinas HS on tape delay.

Do you have a date and time?

Lee Girard
Re: HS Wrestling on Metro Sports [Re: ReDPloyd] #198158 02/02/12 04:39 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Tournament is 2/11 - Should air Sunday as well throughout the following week. When scheduled times are posted I'll make sure to post

Re: HS Wrestling on Metro Sports [Re: Metro_Wrestling] #198162 02/02/12 10:18 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
Thank you for the information.

Lee Girard
Re: HS Wrestling on Metro Sports [Re: ReDPloyd] #200719 02/23/12 12:47 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Metro Sports' brief preview of Kansas State Wrestling Tournament (after the Missouri State Recap).

Re: HS Wrestling on Metro Sports [Re: Metro_Wrestling] #200727 02/23/12 01:12 AM
R
Rford Offline
R
I'd like to see it live broadcasted statewide.

Last edited by Rford; 02/23/12 02:26 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 166 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)