Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: 6 & under state official [Re: in it to win it] #200531 02/22/12 02:06 AM
H
Houchin Offline OP
OP Offline
H
What you guys are not understanding is that the parent was not even arguing with him about anything. When they walked off the mat the parent said something to another family member about the match. He then jumped someone in that area whom he "thought" was making rude comments and later found out he was wrong about. The voice he thought he heard wasn't even saying a word. How many people are gonna stand back while someone jumps down your throat accusing you of saying somthing that never happened. It has nothing to do with coaches or parents not knowing enough about wrestling.

Re: 6 & under state official [Re: in it to win it] #200533 02/22/12 02:12 AM
H
Houchin Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Pity the person who thinks they know what went on. The man may be an amazing official but even the greatest make mistakes! No one ever said he was a bad ref or didnt know what he was doing. I'm sure he is a great person. I just personally didn't agree with his actions on sun!

Re: 6 & under state official [Re: Houchin] #200539 02/22/12 02:45 AM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
dont know dont care leave the refs alone

Re: 6 & under state official [Re: Houchin] #200540 02/22/12 02:46 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Houchin
Ok. Thanks! I noticed he had a rough evening officiating and was just curious who he was.

forgive me for misunderstanding, i think statement might be misleading though.

it's a little more clear now, but not much

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: 6 & under state official [Re: HEADUP] #200541 02/22/12 02:49 AM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
here we are on here calling out a call that a ref made has there been a ref on here calling out a call a coach or parent has made believe me i have made some bad calls myself as a parent and as a coach

Re: 6 & under state official [Re: Houchin] #200545 02/22/12 02:55 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
i think this was after the 64lb. final match. my son was in that match and won so im not sure what all happened after that. i did see something going on but figured the refs and security had control of it so i didnt ask questions. we all have to remember we must keep our composure in front of these kids as we get on them for acting out. its hard sometimes but the kids do as we do and when they do it we yell at them or even spank their butts.

Scott Bockover
Re: 6 & under state official [Re: bockman] #200547 02/22/12 03:09 AM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
keep it fun for the kids

Re: 6 & under state official [Re: Houchin] #200556 02/22/12 03:21 AM
R
Rford Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Houchin
Pity the person who thinks they know what went on. The man may be an amazing official but even the greatest make mistakes! No one ever said he was a bad ref or didnt know what he was doing. I'm sure he is a great person. I just personally didn't agree with his actions on sun!

That's probably a good point. Even best make mistakes. And I guess anyone that doesn't agree with a particular call can come on the forum and express their personal opinion and whether they agree or disagree with what an official did or did not do. Most officials don't participate in the forum or make any effort to explain their calls (and Mark rarely, if ever, reads the forum posts anyway)so you'll never know what he was thinking, what he heard, or what he saw.

Re: 6 & under state official [Re: Rford] #200559 02/22/12 03:26 AM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
thank u

Re: 6 & under state official [Re: Houchin] #200602 02/22/12 01:55 PM
J
John Taylor Offline
J
A little off topic but!!!! Everyone makes mistakes,everyone! No matter how experienced you are or how much you know the rules mistakes are made, its just a fact of life for a referee. I officiated several years ago for about 3 or 4 years it is a hard thankless job that is exactly why i stopped doing it. I have coached high school, college, and kids club for the last 18 years. The one thing I don't understand about ref's and remember I know how tough their job is, is that when they do make mistakes instead of talking about it with the coach who asks them, the referees immediately gets a defensive posture and doesn't want to listen to what you have to say. It happens all the time and I guarantee, that they know they made the mistake and don't want to admit it. Referees have a very tough job everyone understands that, but before every tournament during the coaches meetings the head ref asks all the coaches to be respectful and handle things the right way. I think the ref's should start doing the same. It is within the coaches right to raise his hand and approach the table to get clarification and to express his opinion and understanding. Alot of times when i see coaches do this the ref immediately gets an attitude and doesn't want to listen. Coaches should always respect the referee's for what they do and for their knowledge but the coaches should get the same thing in return from the referee. Just my 2 cents.

Re: 6 & under state official [Re: John Taylor] #200607 02/22/12 02:19 PM
H
Houchin Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I agree 100%. Well said!

Re: 6 & under state official [Re: Houchin] #200618 02/22/12 03:19 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
i think this is what we are going to do next year if we run a tournament. we will not have officials. the officials will be both of the coaches. they will flip a coin to see who is the main ref. the other one will be the ref that walks around the edge. not sure how that would work but hey its an idea. then there would be no arguing any calls.

Scott Bockover
Re: 6 & under state official [Re: bockman] #200675 02/22/12 08:03 PM
in it to win it Offline
why have coaches referee?--they need to be in the corner making certain the parents call the match correctly ---have a parent for each kid reffing the match/yelling and making the calls and lets really see a show! Just my .02

by the way where's that guitar playing monkey when we need him playing entertainment? During down time.

Last edited by in it to win it; 02/22/12 08:05 PM.

In it to win it.
Re: 6 & under state official [Re: in it to win it] #200679 02/22/12 08:12 PM
G
gofigure Offline
G
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc5bfJ8FHzg&feature=email

Try to watch this video- not the same official others have talked about- but this guy takes forever to get to the mat- 4+ seconds...witness him take at least 4 steps before easing himself down to the mat.

Of course, he was much faster when he chased a woman out of the gym for commenting on his work.

As for the video- he never calls a pin she clearly earned. He have something against a girl winning?

Nobody should be afraid of a critique of their work.

Re: 6 & under state official [Re: gofigure] #200684 02/22/12 08:36 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
we all have to remember that this is 6 and under wrestling. i think the refs give the kids on bottom a fighting chance to get out. yes i have seen it where i thought a kid even my own kid pinned but i think at that age what does either kid learn with a 10 second pin. i would rather see them wrestle out 3 periods at that age. it was the 6 under state but not a highschool state. they cant learn everything in practice. the only way to get what you want out of a ref is to become one yourself. i do get upset and question calls but at the end of the day you couldnt pay me enough to be a ref. i did it for 2 years and stopped doing it cause of the coaches and parents. i was acutally asked to ref on saturday but had too many kids to coach so chose not to. really didnt want to do it even for the money.

Scott Bockover
Re: 6 & under state official [Re: gofigure] #200685 02/22/12 08:38 PM
W
Wrestlerspappy Offline
W
that is plain as day a pin

Originally Posted By: gofigure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc5bfJ8FHzg&feature=email

Try to watch this video- not the same official others have talked about- but this guy takes forever to get to the mat- 4+ seconds...witness him take at least 4 steps before easing himself down to the mat.

Of course, he was much faster when he chased a woman out of the gym for commenting on his work.

As for the video- he never calls a pin she clearly earned. He have something against a girl winning?

Nobody should be afraid of a critique of their work.

Jason Ford
Re: 6 & under state official [Re: Wrestlerspappy] #200689 02/22/12 08:56 PM
B
Blast2l! Offline
B
It clearly was a pin.however this ref was getting yelled at all day by grown men and didnt say a thing but once a woman " with a 7 month old new born strapped to her chest" argued a call and was walking out of the gym he didnt hesitate to chase her out yelling and pointing his finger in her face while her baby cried.. frankly im surprised he was allowed to continue to ref. And to top it off the father came in and asked for his ref badge # and he took it to such offense he ejected him for asking.. ASTONISHED

Re: 6 & under state official [Re: Blast2l!] #200690 02/22/12 09:13 PM
J
Jfer Offline
J
To the comment above that the ref's try to let the kids get out of pins to help them learn the same ref had no problem in period 2 calling a pin on her within a second. Had it went all 3 periods she would have won. She had MANY more points than he did. I do think ref's are human and they do make mistakes (like everyone) but it's upsetting that he made that call and the day before told a boy on bottom (who a girl also had pinned) "c'mon you can get out of this".

Last edited by Jfer; 02/22/12 09:37 PM.
Re: 6 & under state official [Re: Jfer] #200692 02/22/12 09:20 PM
G
gofigure Offline
G
Blast- I didn't mention that- but yes- she had a baby on a front pack! And was hot on her trail, but didn't eject her!?

A pin is a pin- it doesn't say anywhere to let them wrestle to try to get out of it. He definitely was in no rush to even look. Even once he was there she had a pin though.

Judgment calls are just that- but when a person is so far out of position...

And in reference to the "it's only 6U state"...fair is fair. If it were a boy would he have moved so slow? I know there is a prejudice against girls with some refs.

You could make the same argument against all sports...it is only a game. Not life and death.

Somebody got ripped off.

Re: 6 & under state official [Re: gofigure] #200697 02/22/12 09:49 PM
in it to win it Offline
Guess, this all boils down to "why have a 6 & u State?".......attend Novice Championships. This is 6 & u not HS or NCAA'S. There shouldn't be any "seeding " these athletes/wrestlers are < 6! If your considering sexual bias there is "Girl's State".

Ottawa's 6&u state tournament is in "name only" which started ~~8 years ago or so by Ottawa. The Kansas State Series starts March 10 with sub-district concluding March 25 with the State Championships.

As some of the more experienced wrestling folks will tell anyone & their wrestlers.....Never let the ref. decide the match, make it clear with your points & actions.

I've not really seen a season such as the current one where there's so much ref. raging.

In it to win it.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 177 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)