Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District #202273 03/05/12 01:53 PM
M
Matt Treaster Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Members:

Our board has made a concerted effort to make our sub-district and district tournaments uniform. I realize it is impossible to make ever last detail the same, but we must do what we can to make the major items consistent. Weigh-ins (and the requisite hair/skin/nail checks) are one of those major items. No satelite weigh-ins will be allowed for sub-district, district, or state tournaments.

Matt Treaster
Executive Director
Kansas Kids Wrestling

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Matt Treaster] #202286 03/05/12 03:40 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
This is easy to say for those of us that only have a 10-20 minute drive to weigh in. As long as a certified official is present doing the checks and weigh ins, I see NO problem with it. If we were doing homesite weigh ins, where I am weighing in my own kids, I can see where there would be some eyebrows raised.

Last edited by doug747; 03/05/12 03:41 PM.
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: doug747] #202288 03/05/12 03:44 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District!

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: smokeycabin] #202295 03/05/12 04:03 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
I don't see the reasons listed. I don't think anyone is asking to be able to weigh in their own kid without an official present.

And IF someone slips thru the cracks as far as skin or nail checks, the official can make them comply the day of the tourney as well........

Again, this doesn't affect me at all, I am 15 minutes from subdistrict weigh in. But district 4 especially, and teams like Independence, Caney, etc. in D2 have to drive over two hours on Friday night, then either get a hotel, or drive back. $3.69 gas. Come on, noone is gonna cheat.......and if cheating to win a kids' wrestling tourney is worth it to someone, they'll get theirs eventually........

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: doug747] #202299 03/05/12 04:07 PM
G
gorailroaders901 Offline
G
There is satellite weigh ins for just about every tournament all year. I like that Subs and District do not have them, and I hope it stays this way for the future.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: gorailroaders901] #202306 03/05/12 04:32 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
I am 45 minute away from our so I don't have any room to whine.

I was 2 and 2.5 hours away for both subs and districts a few years ago. I bit the bullet and got the room and weighed in on Friday night.

If anyone hasn't figured out yet that wrestling is the $12 drop your kid off for practice once a week and hit a hour game on the weekend sport, well you missed the boat.

There isn't anyting cheap about wrestling and I realize that some areas have it easier and harder than others, but that is what we have chosen.

I am ok with gutting it out for two weeks and weighing in at location, and I have had those 2 hours to subs/districts before. I did it then because satelite weigh ins weren't even a option.

It also doesn't sneak up on anyone, subs and district have been scheduled for sometime get ready for it.

No satelite weigh ins for subs on.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Teamroper] #202313 03/05/12 04:53 PM
in it to win it Offline
Great way to State it Tracy.

Best of luck to all in the "series".

In it to win it.
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Teamroper] #202320 03/05/12 05:11 PM
D
DannyB Offline
D
So noone worries about the host site weighing in the team like at 8:00am?? The refs don't look at the individual wrestlers that weigh in. They can cheat just as easy. Quit gripping about satellites, they are probably ran more honest than the host WI's. A few years ago I remember the economy was a hell of alot better than it is now, and gas was $3.75. Who ever said it was cheap, that why we support local tourny's all year but still have to drive 30 miles. If satellites were an option you would have been more than happy to save hotel fees. (I assume) Planning for Subs starts in Nov. but planning on the economy?? come on if anyone cheats it catches up to them sooner than later. We have been guttin it out for many years but the last 2 it has sure hurt. Get a CERT. REF or 2 have 1 watch scale and 1 do nail check. Pay them $50.00 or do we not trust them either.
Danny Burnett
620-332-7799

Make yourself better for the NEXT level
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: DannyB] #202329 03/05/12 06:50 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
I still think some thing needs to stay in the control of the hosting site.

I don't think I would have stayed at home for the satelite weigh in, I personally would rather stay the night anyways and get the 1-2 hours of rest.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Teamroper] #202337 03/05/12 08:38 PM
D
DannyB Offline
D
I don't understand why the host official is better than the satellite official that is assigned by the District or State if they feal they need their hands in it? It's a mute subject to me personnaly, I have to be there to coach in the am. But when Mr. Mike Juby stands up at the State Body meeting and tells us how we should have split session tourny's because it's more economical on the parents, it kinda seams like people are talking out of two sides of there .... sorry mouth. If your kid is in the pm seesion it really sucks to drive 2 1/2 hours (that is my drive)to weigh in then either drive home at 3.75/ga or spend the night at $50-100.00. Then wake up stay in a hotel until 11 then go wrestle. We as Kansas wrestlers have more sense than what we are showing. Like I said the cheaters will be caught sooner than later

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Matt Treaster] #202343 03/05/12 09:05 PM
P
Purple_Freak Offline
P
Mr. Treaster-

You and the executive council could use a little common sense on this matter. Explain how if a certified official is present at a remote weigh in how consistency would be compromised? With this line of thinking why not have everyone from each district drive to the same location for weigh ins each week for the qualifiers? Doesn't make sense does it?

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Purple_Freak] #202351 03/05/12 09:35 PM
D
DannyB Offline
D
Why is it called common sense when it is so uncommom????

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: DannyB] #202422 03/06/12 02:37 AM
T
TwisterCoach Offline
T
You can always weigh in Saturday morning.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: TwisterCoach] #202429 03/06/12 03:22 AM
JACD_Moison Offline
Complainers, go out to track wrestling and check out the "Elite Athletes" page and see if there is one kid from Kansas on there. I know, "what the heck does that matter"? I bet you NEVER hear that from any parents in say, Oklahoma, Iowa, Nebraska... Hotel rates have dropped to an all time low since the economy shot craps, the savings in that alone should cover your fuel surcharge/hike..

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and mine is, if you want your kid to be a great wrestler, football player, doctor, lawyer, etc., then you will go above and beyond for them. I as a father love, looking at my son to the light of the dash talking about what we're going to to that day heading for weigh-in @ 5:00 in the morning, it's kind of a bonding thing. It's how I and most were raised to do it and it's not that big of a deal. If I know we're going to be wrestling a huge national tourney (states not too far away:) ) I lay off the beer, chew, junk food, new designer jeans (the ones with the stitched diamonds on the butt pockets:) ) for a few weeks. Tracy you hit the nail on the head, and twister is right: You can always weigh in Saturday morning...

Last edited by JACD_Moison; 03/06/12 03:42 AM.

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: TwisterCoach] #202431 03/06/12 03:37 AM
J
jafo14 Offline
J
My opinion is you know when and where you are wrestling at every tournament. We choose where we go to wrestle every week. We also know the ones we cant pick and choose very early in the season. We are spoiled compared to the last generation so let's just go wrestle!!

Toby Eaton
Jr. Panthers Wrestling Club
620-899-1289

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: TwisterCoach] #202433 03/06/12 03:46 AM
D
DannyB Offline
D
Yep and that mom and/or dad sit all morning watching other people wrestle that they don't know. Cause their son/daughter wrestles in the pm. Remember Split session we do this for the wrestling families so they don't have to spend 8-12 hours out of town at a wrestling tourny! We were worried about our kid wrestler numbers being down so we as a State try to use Split sessions, to save money and keep people interested in this sport, it's already expensive enough. Right? WHY DOESN'T ANYBODY GET THIS?? What did someone call Beeson (Chucklehead) I bet he even understands this!!I still haven't seen a good reason why the subs/district host head official (who i have never seen watch a scale at any qualifying tourny or State) is more qualified or trusted than any other Certified official/s that was chose by the district director/s to do skin/hair/nail check and watch the digital scale???? At any tourny you have 2 people at the scale (they are usually buddies) if one of their buddies son weighs in 100.6 they can just write it down as 100.0 and tell the other one his dad and I are long time friends. What is the difference? This can happen at any qualifing tourny even STATE!! Fight to help the wrestling families instead of break them. This should be a No brainer. Yes to satellites for subs/districts maybe in a few years when unemployment is below 4% and gas prices are back to $1.50 we can go back to the old times

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: JACD_Moison] #202434 03/06/12 03:57 AM
D
DannyB Offline
D
Its not like this is the last time these kids are going to be able to wrestle. Its not D1 National Championship and I haven't seen any hotel prices drop. Hopefully your talking about Topeka hotels dropping there prices?? I would hate to guess the amount of kids left out of being a superstar because of the amount of money their parents make. It sure would suck for the Dad that gets up early Sat morning and is having bonding time with his son going to weigh in and boom blown out tire. They finally get there but 30 mins late. Tell me why the certified host ref is so much more qualified than none host certified refs.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: DannyB] #202435 03/06/12 04:03 AM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
I would go as far to say that the PM wrestlers should get their own weigh in, but that is about it.

I think it is a trust issue, then it get to a logistic issue also. How many can there be, can anyone have them, will tournament refs be present, or "local" refs that aren't voted to ref the tournament, who pays the refs, do they all close the scale at the exact same time and there are more.

I think it just opens the state up for a risk of something not being the same at every location leading to some one feeling slighted.

Even Chuckleheads have opinons.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: DannyB] #202436 03/06/12 04:09 AM
B
Butch Drylie Offline
B
DannyB you must be new to the kids series because in the 16 years that ive been involved i have never seen any buddies at a scale for qualifying tournaments in dist 4. I have never drove longer than 3.5 hours to any sub or dist tournament. I have one of the worst mileage vehichels there is to haul my family to tournaments, 8 miles per gal. If going to wrestle at a sub or district tournament is going to break your billfold im sure if you ask your club they would be more than happy to help get your kid to the tounament, Hays wrestling club does it every year. Post your phone number and i will call you to see if your close to us and maybe i could take your kid with me.

Butch Drylie
785-650-4404

Butch Drylie
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Butch Drylie] #202438 03/06/12 04:13 AM
B
Butch Drylie Offline
B
DannyB i do have a spare tire so no need to worry there

Thanks
Butch Drylie
785-650-4404

Butch Drylie
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 201 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,949
Posts250,383
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)