Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Teamroper] #202440 03/06/12 04:50 AM
D
DannyB Offline
D
Teamroper thank you now someone has some rational thinking. I understand everyone is worried about cheaters, but it can be done just as easily at the host sight. If you allow the pm than you have to let the am. But I could agree with you on that, that saves money. My theory has been if I have to drive more than 1 hr we staying the night, because of the unknown. The tire happened to me, my son was 8 we were headed to Derby they could of turned us away but they didn't. It wasn't a qualifing tourny. Find 1 maybe 2 satellite places that teams only have to travel 30 miles. That may be hard in Dist.4. Have the District Director choose the Certified ref's, then either the District or team/s attending pay the Certified ref's. The scales run at the same time as the host scales. I still don't understand the mistrust in the officials, local or not. You have been to the State tourny. the guys doing weigh ins are WHO?? and from were?? with how many kids from there team?? This is my point we as Kansas Wrestling want to be better with more enrollment and Nationally recognized individuals, we have went to Split Sessions to accomadate parents/grandparents/coaches/& so on but when it comes to saving individuals hotel fees and gas money for 2 weeks more of satellite weigh ins then we balk. I just don't understand. Park City & Hays allows satellite supposed to be the 2 biggest tourny's of the year, heck yo can pretty much figure out your state bracket from those two. Its KIDS wrestling, lets try to keep more kids/parents in it. We as a team/coaches/secetary have taken a kid (1st year) to and from every practice and most tourny's cause mom can't afford it, yet she said no to subs because she doesn't want to burden us anymore this year--she still has PRIDE just can't afford it. He would not of place at subs but he would have had a Great experience. Probably be his last, hopefully not he made great strides. This is the logistics that people are missing, most of these stories aren't ever heard cause they live in the area of subs/dist/state. You guys that are not in favor of satellite at qualifing tourny's aren't helping the kids wrestling program at all. To me its kinda like running/moving brackets when you find out that stud is in your bracket. Quit thinking of your own offspring and think about the possibilities Kansas has to offer. Teamroper this was not meant personnally towards you except my direct replies toward your replies. Thank you again for some critical thinking. What the Heck is a Chucklehead??
Danny Burnett
620-332-7799

Make yourself better for the NEXT level
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Butch Drylie] #202441 03/06/12 04:56 AM
D
DannyB Offline
D
Butch thanks for loaning me your spare tire next time, hopefully my spare tire will make it to the Hays area to get it as it did to Derby. Just be sure to give yourself extra time to get it swithced it you have a flat on the way to subs. Thanks again
Danny Burnett
620-332-7799

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Butch Drylie] #202442 03/06/12 05:21 AM
D
DannyB Offline
D
Yes Butch I am new only 9 years in this wonderfull sport as a parent and grew up in it. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT MYSELF, its the 10-20% that it does effect. We are losing kids due to parents not having JOBS. Yet we go to State Body meeting and try to figure out how to get more kids to stay in or get into the sport for future "Kansas". And I still drive my 04 Diesel to tourny's 3.95/ga this weekend but thank GOD I don't have to go 3 1/2 hours to subs/dist. We as a team scholarship kids as well. Everyone is missing the point. In my area you could save 6 teams with just say 20 kids from having to have a hotel cause they wrestle in the afternoon. 120xlets say $50 for a roach motel=$6,000.00 that just 1 sub district. They could spend that money on home mortgage/rent/elec/gas/school/college/retirement/or save it in case their kid makes it to the STATE tourny. I heard the hotels are cheaper there this year. I know its just $50.00 but some people live on that for two weeks. I'm not looking for analysis on my secarnios but Why Split session saves money but only 8 Cert host officials can be trusted to weigh kids in,

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: DannyB] #202461 03/06/12 01:07 PM
S
smithy Offline
S
I am one of those parents that Danny B is talking about helping. Yes it is expensive and we save all year long to be able to do this because we have two kids wrestling. However, sometimes there are things out of our control that means some of the money goes out the window. We could not afford to go to some of the bigger tourneys or further more competitive tourneys this year. We will see if it effects our sons chances at subs/districts. Why can't we put in a petition or have an official club president vote on this issue?

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: smithy] #202474 03/06/12 01:30 PM
M
Mark J Stanley Offline
M
While I am not sure how every person on the Executive Board feels about this issue, I don’t think the board is adamantly opposed to the satellite weigh in option in the future. However, I do know it was discussed at last Fall's meeting. The consensus this year was to let the “local” tournaments offer the option and we could see where the holes in the concept develop. The satellite weigh in concept which has morphed into “home site” weigh in has some definite benefits. But those of us that have been in tourney operations and, to a larger extent, club directors in general have noticed some obvious holes that need to be addressed in this option going forward. These holes would be totally unacceptable in a qualifying tournament which leads up to the State tournament. Before we consider rolling this concept out the Kids Executive Board and the State Tournament Committee need time to put together a protocol that is leak proof. I then feel that this proposal should be voted on by the body at large at our Fall 2012 meeting. I support Matt’s decision. This isn’t something we need to “experiment” with this year at one of our qualifying tournaments.

I do think it is important that for the qualifying series of tournaments we keep the tourney operations consistent between the four districts.

Last edited by Mark J Stanley; 03/06/12 01:32 PM.
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Mark J Stanley] #202487 03/06/12 02:23 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Good point Mark, in doing satelite weigh in for the Hutch tournament it isn't as smooth as people think it is for the hosting tournament.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Teamroper] #202489 03/06/12 02:33 PM
S
smithy Offline
S
I can't speak for my club director, however are we talking an extra thirty minutes on a Friday night to get more kids involved or what do you consider not going smoothly? By the way, our club hosts several satellite weigh ins throughout the season. I give a big thanks to the director because without those, we would be even more limited in the number of tourneys our kids could attend.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: smithy] #202490 03/06/12 02:36 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
With the exception of District 4 I would see no need to have more than one satelite site for the other districts.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: smithy] #202514 03/06/12 03:52 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Originally Posted By: smithy
I can't speak for my club director, however are we talking an extra thirty minutes on a Friday night to get more kids involved or what do you consider not going smoothly? By the way, our club hosts several satellite weigh ins throughout the season. I give a big thanks to the director because without those, we would be even more limited in the number of tourneys our kids could attend.

Some of it was self inflicted, TW wasn't used so trying to combine 14 satelite weigh in site to one list is a little tough.

The other thing that happen is location missed writing a few kids down. Not a big deal unless it is a qualifying tournament.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Teamroper] #202521 03/06/12 04:19 PM
M
Mark J Stanley Offline
M
Smithy and whoever else wants to listen to my rant,

Here are the issues that I had. For my tournament I think I had the protocol set pretty well for what was required of the “home sites”. I took the time to send each club an xls spreadsheet with the format that I wanted the weigh in information reported (each of their kids were listed by age/weight). I explained in detail that I wanted the skin/nails checked and for the box to be checked on the weigh in sheet accordingly. I listed the times that I would allow. Numerous clubs didn’t read my protocol or ignored it. I had weights left for me on voicemail, sent via text message, typed into the body of the email….etc. Many of those that didn’t follow the protocol also left some of their kids off the list of kids that they reported weights for….and they didn’t notice the issue until the tournament was bracketed with their wrestlers deleted. We elected to go back in and add the kids…this cost me about 30 minutes and printing of another set of brackets before we could start the tourney.

I have been to other tournaments this year when I heard a kid say….”yeah we weighed in at Thursday night after practice". I witnessed a wrester show up for Saturday morning weigh in where a weight had been reported for him on Friday night….the problem was this kid had no recollection of stepping on a scale on Friday.

As I have stated previously, there is plenty of merit to the remote site weigh in for us to continue to pursue it….but from what I have witnessed this year we are not ready to roll it out for the qualifying series where a controlled protocol is not just a good idea; it’s the only idea that works. In a sport that divides kids by a predetermined weight allowance I would think that the weigh in verification process is a pretty important piece of the puzzle.

Last edited by Mark J Stanley; 03/06/12 05:50 PM.
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Mark J Stanley] #202533 03/06/12 05:14 PM
JACD_Moison Offline
Here's an idea (have 2 satellite weigh-ins for district 4, each weigh-in is composed of a 4 person liaison team from THE OPPOSITE SIDE (south/north) If they're competing against one another, I bet there wouldn't be any "cheating" They can also have a few of their own staff on hand just to make sure everyone is honest. Also, saves thousands on fuel/lodging, and preserves fossil fuels. Danny, I totally see where you are coming from and I'm sure everyone else does as well. The economy sucks and Mr. Obama hasn't saved us yet... That's a different topic... smile

Last edited by JACD_Moison; 03/06/12 05:25 PM.

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: JACD_Moison] #202537 03/06/12 05:36 PM
D
DannyB Offline
D
I have scanned through our By-Laws and Rules and I Don't see were it states that Qualifing tourny's CANNOT have a satellite. But that sanctioned tourny's the tourny director controls weigh ins. I might have missed the rule.

Last edited by DannyB; 03/06/12 05:37 PM.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: JACD_Moison] #202541 03/06/12 06:03 PM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
makes no sense

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: DannyB] #202544 03/06/12 06:07 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
I agree that I think our directors are being heavy handed here, and implying that it says we can't do satellite weigh ins. I've had someone else tell me that it does not specifically state that you can't do satellite weigh ins..........

Again, my disclaimer, I am 15 minutes from weigh ins, so this does NOT affect me...........1 or 2 satellite weighins per district, on top of the host site, won't hurt anything.

The way we did weighins at Wichita classic, thru trackwrestling, was awesome. One person typing in the kids' last name, verifying his age and weight, while the other gets him on the scale. Both people acknowledge the weight, and it gets typed directly into Trackwrestling. While one guy is typing the weight in, the other is writing on the kids' arm. All of this occurred after the Head official has done a skin check on each kid. They weren't allowed near the scales until the skin check is completed.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: doug747] #202549 03/06/12 06:29 PM
D
DannyB Offline
D
Doug that sure doesn't sound so hard or any way of cheating can happen. As long as the host tourny gives a username and password so you can log in to Track it is easy, it when you receive spreadsheets when it gets hard. Our satellite went the same way for Park City that is exactly how we did ours, went smooth, and everyone made their weight that tehy entered the tourny, Even the ones that had to run for two hours!! This doesn't have to be hard.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: DannyB] #202558 03/06/12 07:16 PM
Beeson Offline
If I am reading the by-laws correctly, please let me know if I am not. It is up to the Tournament Director to decide how weigh-ins will be conducted. I would think that this would be his decision not the boards. Yes, I know that there is a State Tournament Director, and that he is over all of the Subs, Districts, and State. I even know who it is. Shouldn't it be his decision on the weigh-in procedures?

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Beeson] #202559 03/06/12 07:22 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Beeson
If I am reading the by-laws correctly, please let me know if I am not. It is up to the Tournament Director to decide how weigh-ins will be conducted. I would think that this would be his decision not the boards.

I'm not sure but we may have ceded all that authority to the board when we let them set our sub and district tournament fees. Sadly, we are all too willing to give up our club rights to the board.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: sportsfan02] #202569 03/06/12 08:14 PM
D
DannyB Offline
D
So my wrestler that is entered at subs and districts and has no one else in his bracket at either place still has to drive 2 hours to make weight??

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: DannyB] #202572 03/06/12 08:21 PM
T
Tom Richard Offline
T
I would suggest voting on this at the State Body meeting.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Tom Richard] #202577 03/06/12 09:09 PM
D
DannyB Offline
D
Me to but for this year can't the executive board have a teleconference, and give us their opinion? Then have each district have a email vote to each club director? I believe we can correspond via email since that was added at the State Body meeting last year. Its probably to much work though since 80-90% of the State body probably lives within 60 miles of their subs/dist. So I guess this really falls on deaf ears since over 75% of the wrestling population this topic doesn't effect. Good luck to all competitors at subs/dist and hopefully State. confused

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 118 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)