Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: DannyB] #202578 03/06/12 09:13 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
There should be some guidance around how it would be handled, I am not sure rushing it this year is the answer.

I would also volunteer to be on that committee or team that would help decide how to handle this satlite weighs ins, if approved by the body.

Last edited by Teamroper; 03/06/12 09:14 PM.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Teamroper] #202581 03/06/12 09:30 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
The trackwrestling live entering of weights gets rid of lost papers, and I would think would eliminate problems. The spreadsheet way is not the way to do it. Wherever we have the satellite weighins, would have to have an internet connection, so the weights can be entered on the spot.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Teamroper] #202582 03/06/12 09:37 PM
F
Forum reader Offline
F
I say no to satellite weigh-ins. Danny B. is obviously passionate (and persistent) about the subject and makes some very valid arguments, but at some point you just have to have consistency and certainty.

If you have one location, you have one set of scales, you have one set of eyes for skin decisions, and it is the same for everyone. Every kid should have the exact same situation to make weight and pass skin check. A kid could be (.1) over and just not able to get rid of any more. If he is at a satellite site that weighs (.1) light, he makes it. If he is at the sub site, he does not.

If the reasoning is adopted, why not have satellite weigh-ins with certified officials for State? Many of us could then drive up the morning of State and save 1/2 to a full day of work and maybe a hotel. All the arguments are the same, yet surely we would not consider this for State.

I call the question and let's have someone fire up another topic. This horse is stone cold dead.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Forum reader] #202583 03/06/12 09:56 PM
P
Purple_Freak Offline
P
Right now you do not have 1 set of eyes for skin decisions. For Subs there are 8 different locations and therefore the possibility of 8 differeing set of eyes. For districts it is 4.

I do not see the problem in those districts where it makes sense to have a couple of satelite locations for weighins to allow this. You could have certified officials also at these and they would presumably have the same criteria as the certified officials at all of the other locations.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Forum reader] #202586 03/06/12 10:01 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Forum reader

If the reasoning is adopted, why not have satellite weigh-ins with certified officials for State? Many of us could then drive up the morning of State and save 1/2 to a full day of work and maybe a hotel. All the arguments are the same, yet surely we would not consider this for State.
I call the question and let's have someone fire up another topic. This horse is stone cold dead.

I am willing to bet that it will pass for next year....OVERWHELMINGLY!!!!

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Forum reader] #202587 03/06/12 10:02 PM
B
Bones1768 Offline
B
Just wrestle.

I am going to drive friday night to weigh my son and a couple of his friends. So we will drive 146 miles round trip on friday night and then again on saturday. And hopefully the next friday and saturday we will drive 174 miles roundtrip each day.

If it is a problem, carpool. We do it a lot in our club and it works. Just take turns. I would rather do this and have consistency than not know what everyone else is doing.

I know it is expensive, but what isn't.

Just my thoughts.

And if you are going to do Satellite weigh ins, you might as well do them at all the clubs. Why would one get the advantage of not having to drive, when another has to. No mater how far or how close it is.

Last edited by Bones1768; 03/06/12 10:05 PM.
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Purple_Freak] #202589 03/06/12 10:10 PM
F
Forum reader Offline
F
Per sub-district you do. The context of the question is whether to have just one sub-district weigh-in site or multiple sub-district sites. I think the goal should be to make sure each situation, per sub-district, is the same. So everyone that must come out of a sub has the same circumstances.

You actually make my point. We already have the potential across the state for variances at the respective subs and districts, we should not introduce more.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Bones1768] #202591 03/06/12 10:13 PM
Cokeley Offline
It isn't expensive if you weigh right before the tournament starts. No one is making anyone weigh on Friday and come back on Saturday. For the qualifier events there needs to be consistency. All year clubs have been bending the satellite rules by weighing at practice on Thursdays instead of during the prescribed times. It should be an honorable sport but every year, at the HS level, I see kids make weight like a champ all season but when it comes to Regionals and State they wilt... Either the long season got to them or their scale was quite accurate...:-)

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Cokeley] #202592 03/06/12 10:16 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
All year clubs have been bending the satellite rules by weighing at practice on Thursdays instead of during the prescribed times.

Shame on them. Every Tournament we have been involved in we have weighed in at the prescribed time. Shame on the clubs that aren't...and now I see why everyone is worried about it. 1 Bad Apple spoils the Bunch. If you know this for a fact Will, let us know so that club will not even be considered to host a weigh in.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Beeson] #202595 03/06/12 10:56 PM
P
prouddad Offline
P
yes a first time poster but I created an account cause reading this makes me wonder.....does anybody else see kids having to move up a wiegt class when they HAVE to make weight on sight? I seen several in our subs and all over when I got to looking. Funny how that works. I say leave it as it is, wrestling is expensive if people don't like it, try exposing your kids to basketball or something a little cheaper.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: prouddad] #202596 03/06/12 11:22 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
many of the poster on this topic are deeply involved with wrestling in this state, yet don't really agree on the subject.

satellite weigh in or no satellite weigh in the state HAS to stand by the decision. we will NEVER find a solution to please everyone. we MUST chose a solution that pleases the majority.

there HAS to be strict guidelines in place, and we CANNOT knitpick every situation where someone is inconvenienced. it's just simply NOT possible to please every single wrestling family in the state.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Beeson] #202597 03/06/12 11:30 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
All year clubs have been bending the satellite rules by weighing at practice on Thursdays instead of during the prescribed times.

Shame on them. Every Tournament we have been involved in we have weighed in at the prescribed time. Shame on the clubs that aren't...and now I see why everyone is worried about it. 1 Bad Apple spoils the Bunch. If you know this for a fact Will, let us know so that club will not even be considered to host a weigh in.

devil's advocate here, but maybe those clubs that weigh in on thursday are doing it right. the kids are making weight in one less day. maybe the clubs who are waiting until friday are pulling too much weight.

totally agree that regulations need to be followed, but sometimes question the thought process of 1-2lbs being a huge deal. many people will argue that rules are rules, but many more will throw that excuse after seeing a bracket, or after a loss.

maybe the only way to be fair is to have state appointed skin check officials, and weigh in supervisors, at every tournament. i'd bet even then someone, somewhere, somehow would feel slighted and make that unfair too.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: HEADUP] #202611 03/07/12 12:39 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: HEADUP
satellite weigh in or no satellite weigh in the state HAS to stand by the decision. we will NEVER find a solution to please everyone. we MUST chose a solution that pleases the majority.

And every district should be allowed to do just that by a simple vote of it's member clubs.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: DannyB] #202612 03/07/12 12:41 AM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
back when.... there was not a choice u weighed in that morning no other option except for qualifying tourn nobody complained yea it sucked so what we teaching the kids now find the easy way? i used to get up way early feed the animals and then we could leave when we got home it was chores all over again life isnt easy but we seem to try to make it that way for our kids what will they do in the real world when it aint

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Cowbuff] #202615 03/07/12 12:46 AM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
it cost my parents a lot back then but like someone else said cut the beer and other things if thats what your kids want and go my dad saved all year just to go wrestle granted it wasnt as exspensive but he didnt make as much and he had a farm and five other kids to worry about but he made it and now hes there to watch his grandkids

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Cowbuff] #202631 03/07/12 01:59 AM
JACD_Moison Offline
Noname, we're on the same page! 100%

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: JACD_Moison] #202640 03/07/12 02:54 AM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
what i was trying to say is it isnt easy so we all have to suck it up and do the best we can getting on here and complaining wont help anything weigh in here or there u still have to go and compete with the best to be the best weigh in thurs or sat who cares JUST WRESTLE

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Cowbuff] #202663 03/07/12 12:28 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
I don't think anyone is against what you say, but I bet we'd have had more kids out for wrestling, and we would have been forced to be better wrestlers, had we come up with some of today's "innovations", like split session tourneys, satellite weigh ins, etc............

We're trying to get more kids out for the sport, so the entire sport is better. I don't want my kid winning because he outlasted everyone else...........

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: doug747] #202664 03/07/12 12:43 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: doug747

We're trying to get more kids out for the sport, so the entire sport is better. I don't want my kid winning because he outlasted everyone else...........

"innovations" is correct, remote weigh ins was/is a great concept, put a few extra regulations in place, and let's do it for ALL tourneys. You will never be rid of all the conspiracy theorists. Let's do what is right for the kids. NONAME kids can still learn those tough life lessons, my kid still does his chores whether we weigh in on Friday or Saturday. His homework is done right after school whether we have training or not. His room is picked up before he plays outside. Daily responsibilities will be taken care of as long as the family values are in place, tough life lessons will be learned if family values are in place.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Bones1768] #202665 03/07/12 12:52 PM
S
smithy Offline
S
I really feel sorry for you, I do. Try driving close to three hours one way for subs. You would spend so much time in the car, your kid wouldn't be rested enough to put out extra effort. When it comes to being this spread out, I agree with satellite's.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 173 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,936
Posts250,367
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)