Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Cowbuff] #202812 03/08/12 05:07 AM
B
Butch Drylie Offline
B
Our board has made a concerted effort to make our sub-district and district tournaments uniform. I realize it is impossible to make ever last detail the same, but we must do what we can to make the major items consistent. Weigh-ins (and the requisite hair/skin/nail checks) are one of those major items. No satelite weigh-ins will be allowed for sub-district, district, or state tournaments.

This is how this post started. If i am understanding all this, it is that D2 south is going to have a split format for there sub district? How is this approved by the board when the director states uniform tournaments? 7 sub tournaments alike and one totaly different how is that uniform?

Butch Drylie
785-650-4404

Butch Drylie
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Butch Drylie] #202815 03/08/12 06:48 AM
C
CBR's Dad Offline
C
Two years ago I had a young man who was a talented basketball player join my wresrling team. He was very successful and loved to wrestle. At the end of the season I asked his parents what there plans for next year were and they said although they loved watching there kid wrestle they hated waiting around all day to wrestle just a few matches. The long days and money spent just outwayed the benifits for this particular family. I believe if there had been more split session tournaments and satellite weigh ins they would have kept there son wrestling. I grew up traveling every weekend to tournaments just like many of you did and I understand the way things used to be. If were going to keep moving forward were going to have to keep coming up with new ideas such as Satellite weight ins and split sessions to stay ahead of the other sports.

Last edited by CBR's Dad; 03/08/12 06:50 AM.
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Butch Drylie] #202819 03/08/12 11:12 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Butch Drylie
This is how this post started. If i am understanding all this, it is that D2 south is going to have a split format for there sub district? How is this approved by the board when the director states uniform tournaments? 7 sub tournaments alike and one totaly different how is that uniform?

Butch Drylie
785-650-4404

Not a Board Decision to make.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Beeson] #202822 03/08/12 12:35 PM
D
doug747 Offline
D
We've been having split session subs and district tourneys for years..........

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: doug747] #202823 03/08/12 12:40 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
I think what he is complaining about is the fact there is no Saturday weigh-in for those wrestling in the afternoon. Thus causing them to make two trips to the tournament site.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: sportsfan02] #202826 03/08/12 01:16 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I agree with Butch everyone on here is wanting the qualifying tournaments to be uniform and consistant, but yet some are doing split format, and some are not. If we are going to be uniform why dont we all do it the same way. As far as Split format saving money, I can say I dont see this. The kids still have to be there Friday night, or Saturday morning to weigh in. If they would allow kids to weigh in later on Saturday, this would not be fare as they would have longer to make weight than some of the other districts. My oppinion is to run Subs, Districts, and state the same way tournaments have always ran, otherwise someone is going to scream it is not fare. JMO

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: L.Geyer] #202834 03/08/12 01:45 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: L.Geyer
My oppinion is to run Subs, Districts, and state the same way tournaments have always ran, otherwise someone is going to scream it is not fare. JMO

it's not just your opinion, it's the ONLY way! we all want it to be FAIR.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: L.Geyer] #202842 03/08/12 02:35 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
As far as Split format saving money, I can say I dont see this.

I don't know who suggested this but the ONLY reason for splits has been the convenience of parents and wrestlers. To me, that is the only reason that is needed.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: sportsfan02] #202864 03/08/12 04:43 PM
bawoody Offline
If weigh-ins are kept the same at all subs and districts. How is it unfair to the wrestlers if the tournament format is different? I.E.: split or not split. It makes zero difference unless you are running from someone and want to make sure you end up in a more favorable spot on a bracket.

This is ridicules adults are complaining about something so trivial, LET'S WRESTLE!

Bruce Woodruff
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: bawoody] #202868 03/08/12 05:05 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: bawoody
How is it unfair to the wrestlers if the tournament format is different? I.E.: split or not split.

Someone still needs to explain to me what advantage one district has over another by offering satelite weigh-ins.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: sportsfan02] #202870 03/08/12 05:14 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
Originally Posted By: bawoody
How is it unfair to the wrestlers if the tournament format is different? I.E.: split or not split.

Someone still needs to explain to me what advantage one district has over another by offering satelite weigh-ins.

it's not the district that has the unfair advantage, it's the one wrestler who was 2lbs over in the morning, who pulls the weight, step on the scale at home, and has an extra hour of rest time. that's where it's unfair, or maybe it's the kid who gets an extra .05lbs because there wasn't a district representative from all 4 districts + a ks paid official checking his weight.
wink
you will never stop the conspiracy theorists, but to be as fair as possible, things should be consistent. different sub district and district tournaments have been split format, in the past, each individual tournament has a choice, fair enough. when we switch to remote weigh ins, things will need to be more consistent, but we will never make every single person happy. someone will be inconvenience, fair or not, the club directors will need to back the majority decision.

Last edited by HEADUP; 03/08/12 05:15 PM.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: HEADUP] #202876 03/08/12 05:43 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: HEADUP
My oppinion is to run Subs, Districts, and state the same way tournaments have always ran, otherwise someone is going to scream it is not fair. JMO

Life is not FAIR. A FAIR is a carnival. laugh

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Beeson] #202879 03/08/12 05:51 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Beeson
My oppinion is to run Subs, Districts, and state the same way tournaments have always ran, otherwise someone is going to scream it is not fair. JMO

Life is not FAIR. A FAIR is a carnival. laugh

Soooooooooo do we let each district, run as they please????? wouldn't that make it a CIRCUS?!?! laugh

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: HEADUP] #202916 03/08/12 10:08 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
it's not the district that has the unfair advantage, it's the one wrestler who was 2lbs over in the morning, who pulls the weight, step on the scale at home, and has an extra hour of rest time. that's where it's unfair,

You will never get me to be concerned about the kid who is pulling weight. If the parents aren't concerned then why should I be?
or maybe it's the kid who gets an extra .05lbs because there wasn't a district representative from all 4 districts + a ks paid official checking his weight.

Who said anything about there not being a paid official or a district representative present?

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Purple_Freak] #202946 03/09/12 02:23 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Purple_Freak
You could have certified officials also at these and they would presumably have the same criteria as the certified officials at all of the other locations.

here's one

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: doug747] #202948 03/09/12 02:24 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: doug747
This is easy to say for those of us that only have a 10-20 minute drive to weigh in. As long as a certified official is present doing the checks and weigh ins, I see NO problem with it. If we were doing homesite weigh ins, where I am weighing in my own kids, I can see where there would be some eyebrows raised.

here's two

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: sportsfan02] #202951 03/09/12 02:27 AM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: sportsfan02
it's not the district that has the unfair advantage, it's the one wrestler who was 2lbs over in the morning, who pulls the weight, step on the scale at home, and has an extra hour of rest time. that's where it's unfair,

You will never get me to be concerned about the kid who is pulling weight. If the parents aren't concerned then why should I be?
or maybe it's the kid who gets an extra .05lbs because there wasn't a district representative from all 4 districts + a ks paid official checking his weight.

Who said anything about there not being a paid official or a district representative present?

i gave you only two examples, because i don't have time to read the whole topic to you. but seriously, if you couldn't get the sarcasm, in my post you sir are way too serious.

my point has been from the get go, that you will never make everyone happy, somebody will twist the rules to fit their complaint. someone will dream up a way that it's unfair to them, their team, their district, etc.

some of the arguments are a stretch, but every year someone comes on and backs it. in order to do it club directors, coaches, whether they agree or not need to support the boards/ states majority decision.

Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: HEADUP] #202956 03/09/12 02:45 AM
D
DannyB Offline
D
It is fair, parents are able to save money! With a true satellite weigh in, not a weigh in that a team weighs in their own team like you guys are talking about. A true satellite, would need 2 KS HS certified paid officials, 1 doing skin check, 1 watch scale weights. It would be entered directly into track wrestling and would start and end at the same time as the host tourny. Not sure were you people are screaming "UNFAIR". It would be done with several teams at one/two locations per subs/distr. Saving several teams at the very least, lodging and meals. It is exactly the same as weighing in at the tourny except satellites have a savings. Isn't that why we have done it all year?? If it matters now why do we have tourny's that don't matter from Dec-Mar.? Also people have moved weights for subs for years, (without satellites) so don't start blaming satellites for that.And if you are able to save or just afford a long drive to qualifing don't assume everyone can, its not always about you!

Last edited by DannyB; 03/09/12 03:15 AM.

Make yourself better for the NEXT level
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: Butch Drylie] #202969 03/09/12 03:38 AM
D
DannyB Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Butch Drylie
Our board has made a concerted effort to make our sub-district and district tournaments uniform. I realize it is impossible to make ever last detail the same, but we must do what we can to make the major items consistent. Weigh-ins (and the requisite hair/skin/nail checks) are one of those major items. No satelite weigh-ins will be allowed for sub-district, district, or state tournaments.

Butch Drylie
785-650-4404

Butch I don't beleive that this sport is about the board. They have made efforts to make this sport more afffordable for the families as well ex. split sessions. Its about the families that have to spend the money to take their kids to the tourny's. And not all families have much money these days. Noone knows what other people have or what some people have to give up to get their kids to these tournys. Someone even gave up beer,chew and bling bling on his rear pockets of his pants. Some people don't have those items to start with. It doesn't matter what district started this what matters is that they are families in ALL 4 Districts that have this problem. It started out as a simple request and ended up with people saying how they can afford it so why can't everyone else. And last having a split session doesn't mean non-uniform. Good Luck boys/girls this weekend.
Danny Burnett
620-332-7799

Make yourself better for the NEXT level
Re: No Satelite Weigh Ins for Subs and District [Re: DannyB] #202971 03/09/12 03:49 AM
JACD_Moison Offline
This post is still going strong... Wow!

It'd be like going to watch the Chiefs cept I'd rather watch my Son's wrestle any day of the week... or for the year for that matter smile I just can't call the Chiefs and ask them to change the game-time for me or ask them to lower prices for Beer and hot dogs - If I go watch a sport I enjoy, I make sure I have the money (or credit) for it - All sports are expensive regardless of the age, it's how much passion you have for it

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 142 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)