Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wrestling at KCCC---NOT #202352 03/05/12 09:37 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Saw in the KC Star the other day that KCCC is starting a girl's soccer program. Do not understand that decision. Girls high school soccer in KC, KS is almost nonexistant. A girl's program at JCCC would be understandable--Johnson County a hotbed of girls club and high school soccer.

I had talked a couple of times to the KCCC AD (at the Metro Classic) on why not add a wrestling program at KCCC. Always got the reply "thinking on it, but it costs a lot of money to add a new sport". Title 9 probably figured in it also. I always thought CC programs were supposed to geared to help the local area. Really can't see many girls from KC, KS playing soccer at KCCC. In fact, will either see girls from Johnson Copunty or from out of state. After all, CC coaches have to recruit from athletes from far away places to bring status to their programs. My son played soccer at KCCC 10 years ago and half the team was Brits or Irish--the coach was Irish.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Wrestling at KCCC---NOT [Re: WillyM] #202355 03/05/12 09:45 PM
Ricky Bobby Offline
Johnson County Community College already has a women's soccer team, but yes someone in the KC area should look at adding a JUCO wrestling program.

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]
Re: Wrestling at KCCC---NOT [Re: Ricky Bobby] #202374 03/06/12 12:14 AM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Should have know that about JCCC girls soccer.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Wrestling at KCCC---NOT [Re: WillyM] #202473 03/06/12 01:26 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
They should bring in Mens and Womens wrestling. They only Kansas school with Womens wrestling in the state is NWKTC. Womens wrestling is one of the fastest growing sports in the nation, and we have some stud girls here in Kansas that wrestle, but they lose interest early, as they dont see much of a future in it within the state. JMO.

Re: Wrestling at KCCC---NOT [Re: L.Geyer] #202529 03/06/12 04:43 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Originally Posted By: L.Geyer
They should bring in Mens and Womens wrestling. They only Kansas school with Womens wrestling in the state is NWKTC. Womens wrestling is one of the fastest growing sports in the nation, and we have some stud girls here in Kansas that wrestle, but they lose interest early, as they dont see much of a future in it within the state. JMO.

That is a very good idea. I agree. Kansas City Community college would be a great junior college for both men and women wrestling. The Kansas City area definitely should have a junior college wrestling program. It seems like their would be a natural fit with it being the venue annually for the Metro Classic.

Vince Nowak
Kansas College Wrestling Fund Supporter
Please join the fight with your contributions

Re: Wrestling at KCCC---NOT [Re: Husker Fan] #202598 03/06/12 11:35 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Well a try is worth a try. I just sent the KCKSCC athletic department L.Geyer's suggestion that they consider starting a men and women wrestling teams.

Vince Nowak

Re: Wrestling at KCCC---NOT [Re: Husker Fan] #202769 03/08/12 01:47 AM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Great idea by L. Geyer. And thanks to Husker for sending it to the KCCC AD. A tragedy that the most populous area in Kansas does not have a public college with a wrestling program!

Perhaps if we all in this forum, don't forget all the other folks in the other forums: HS, Womens, kids, ??- send the KCCC AD an email he would understand our position. Mutiple voices are much louder than one or two. Anybody have the AD's name and email address? Could not find it on a KCCC Athletics web page.

Last edited by Contrarian; 03/08/12 01:48 AM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Wrestling at KCCC---NOT [Re: WillyM] #202829 03/08/12 01:37 PM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
I am pretty sure that the Kansas City Kansas Community College Athletic Director is Dan Pratt. That is who I sent my email to. I have not heard back from him yet although he did reply to me a few years ago when I first asked them about it. That was probably four years ago. He had me talk to someone else on his staff and they had been considering but their were some facility and other things that they said needed to be addressed before they would make that decision. I agree that it would be good if more than one voice of support for the idea was heard. Mr. Pratt's e-mail is:

dpratt1@kckcc.edu

Vince Nowak

Re: Wrestling at KCCC---NOT [Re: Husker Fan] #202906 03/08/12 09:05 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I have emailed my thoughts for what they are worth, here is a copy of my email i sent Mr. Pratt.

Mr. Pratt,
I am sending this email in regards to a recent topic discussed among Kansas wrestling fans, coaches, and athletes. It has been brought to our attention that your college may have recently added girls soccer to your athletic department. It was in our discussion that we wanted to know if wrestling was in your thoughts for added sports. We are in need of a eastern KS college to add wrestling to keep our elite wrestling athletes in our state. If a wrestling team was added to a college's athletic department, this would benefit both a men's and women's sport, as women's wrestling is on of the fastest growing sports in the world. Plus there are many elite men and women wreatlers right here in the great state of Kansas.
Thank You
Lance Geyer

Re: Wrestling at KCCC---NOT [Re: L.Geyer] #202924 03/09/12 12:11 AM
H
Husker Fan Offline
H
Originally Posted By: L.Geyer
I have emailed my thoughts for what they are worth, here is a copy of my email i sent Mr. Pratt.

Mr. Pratt,
I am sending this email in regards to a recent topic discussed among Kansas wrestling fans, coaches, and athletes. It has been brought to our attention that your college may have recently added girls soccer to your athletic department. It was in our discussion that we wanted to know if wrestling was in your thoughts for added sports. We are in need of a eastern KS college to add wrestling to keep our elite wrestling athletes in our state. If a wrestling team was added to a college's athletic department, this would benefit both a men's and women's sport, as women's wrestling is on of the fastest growing sports in the world. Plus there are many elite men and women wreatlers right here in the great state of Kansas.
Thank You
Lance Geyer

Lance, that is a well written e-mail. Great job on stating the case.

Vince Nowak

Re: Wrestling at KCCC---NOT [Re: Husker Fan] #203044 03/09/12 02:50 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Here is the response I recieved from Mr. Pratt.

Lance,

At this time wrestling is not being considered.

Dan Pratt
Director of Athletics
KCKCC
913-288-7150

Re: Wrestling at KCCC---NOT [Re: L.Geyer] #203107 03/09/12 11:09 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
A very perfunctory thanks but no thanks!!!!

Bill Mason

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Wrestling at KCCC---NOT [Re: WillyM] #203119 03/10/12 01:15 AM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Just sent a very long email to Mr. Pratt, KCCC AD on men and womens wrestling.

Also posted on the Womens Forum and solicited their emails to Mr. Pratt.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Wrestling at KCCC---NOT [Re: WillyM] #203175 03/10/12 02:22 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
We are also discussing this topic under the WOMENs Forum.

If no positive responses are received from Mr. Pratt, perhaps the next step is for a small group of Kansas wrestling supporters to request a meeting with the KCKCC President to personally discuss facts and figures for men and womens wrestling versus womens soccer.

Women soccer fans don't take me wrong. I am certainly not anti soccer. My son played club, high school and community college soccer. I coached soccer, recreatrion and club, for 16 years. I love soccer, I just do not think women's soccer at KCKCC is a good community fit.

Last edited by WillyM; 03/10/12 02:29 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 173 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)