Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: usawks1] #203090 03/09/12 07:16 PM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
as long as he is happy nothing else really matters he will be happy with his decision

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: weeter5] #203091 03/09/12 07:42 PM
F
Forum reader Offline
F
I guess I wonder why one would ask the wrestling Talk Forum about how a child should act on his religious beliefs. If this is a religion question, I think a pastor is the best source of advice. If a son just does not want to wrestle a girl, maybe come here.

I think he and his parents should be complimented for raising a child with a strong faith. But announcing that faith on the Talk Forum seems a little self-promoting.

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Forum reader] #203096 03/09/12 08:42 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
A Pastor can be a big help or a big hinderance. A pastor is just a falliable, sinful person like the rest of us humans (no disrespect towards any of you Pastors they of all people should know what -Romans Chapter 3 teaches- I'm just talking about the Solas of the Reformation).

Your OPIONION is that it seemed 'a little self-promoting'. My OPINION is that this is a very loving father put in a very awkward circumstance, reaching out to his fellow WRESTLING community, for some advice, related to wrestling. Therefore, seems ok with me. No one else was complaining about it.

But . . . I respect your right to complain about it. However, I don't have to agree with it.

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: 4422kids] #203097 03/09/12 08:51 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: 4422kids
Well said right back at ya Dean. Good Point. Not our son or daughter = not our business.

Tony Miller

Yep. I'll take care of my kids and you take care of yours . . . and we will all get along better in the end would be my guess.

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Kansas Wildcat] #203098 03/09/12 09:13 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Kansas Wildcat
I agree completely that it is their choice/right/decision to wrestle or not to wrestle. It's not up to me. But still I can disagree with that decision. Like you said, Dean, we just have fundamentally different viewpoints. I guess I have a problem with wrestlers picking and choosing their opponents. If my son ever suggested that he did not want to wrestle an opponent because the other wrestler is black - I would have a big big problem with that (and my son would suffer the consequences)! And if my son ever wanted to forfeit a match because he heard that the opponent is gay - I would have a problem with that too. Like some others have said - just wrestle whoever shows up. Wrestling by nature puts the participants in uncomfortable positions - physically, emotionally, etc. In fact, I would say it's the most uncomfortable sport I can think of. I would not do it. But for those who sign up, just wrestle.

To me, you are making on apples to oranges comparsion. You create a strawman argument (a black or a gay - excuse my language, and no disrespect meant), and then tore it down.

To me, gender vs. gender, and especally at this age - is a complicated thing. I respect the parents decision. Again, no one can force any one to wrestle any one. The wrestler obviously makes the ultimate decison of who they wrestle. My guess is this boy will happily wrestle any other boy (irregardless of the others boys religion or skin color or whatever...) For very obvious reasons, he just feels uncomfortable wrestling a girl.

I'm not judging anyone. That is not my position. I respect both, for different reasons. And, my respect is irrevalant. It is THEIR son, and they merely asked for some advice. Not dogma crammed down their throats.

For me, the potential pyscological damage it could do to the boy (that could effect him for the rest of his life), far outweight any gains he could possibly make by wrestling her.

Again, I will have to respectfully agree to disagree with you.

Dean

PS: I wrestled in the KC area in the early 80's. My 10th grade year, in a dual match, my weight class was one in which I would have been pitted against a returning undefeated state champ who I did not have a prayer against. This kid (and his twin brother) went on to wrestle D1 at Mizzo- any of you old timers remember the twins from Chrisman HS - Mark and Matt Sauls? My coach decided to move me down to JV. We foreited that weight. As a sidenote, I won my JV match by a crazy score of like 16-14. Now, if I would have wrestled Mr. Sauls, I would have most likely gotten pinned in less than a minute. Or, like a cat toying with a mouse, he would have let me up and taken me down, got about a 30 point lead (no mercy rule back then on points) and then pinned me. So, which do you think was the better experience for me? So. . . it happens all the time, and for different reasons, people picking and choosing who they wrestle. It is called freedom. And some times it is just down right smart.

When you got into Walmart do you always have to buy something or can you walk in, look around, and leave? Thankfully, since we live in most free country in the world you can do either/or without being judged.

I am in no position to judge. That is God's job. Not mine.

Take care.

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: usawks1] #203099 03/09/12 09:22 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: usawks1
"the opposite of freedom?"

That is a loaded question but it might be, a bunch of adults trying to impart their ethics and morales onto an eleven year old that has his own convictions and beliefs! (imo)

If he thinks that it is not right (to wrestle a women) ... whom am I to suggest he's mistaken!!

Yep, loaded in deed. But I figured a 'wise old dude' (no disrespect, I love the wit and wisdom in your posts) like you would get it. Grin.

One you wrote above is definitely an answer to my question. There are several ways one could answer it. I just put it out there to hopefully provoke some to slow down a bit and think about the other position . . .

The opposite of freedom is slavery. And sadly, the poor salves were not allowed to learn much for a variety of reasons... If you can't make your own decisions, then you will always be dependent on others to make them for you . . . and that is not a healthy or good place to be.

The boy has the freedom to wrestle who ever he wants to, for whatever reason he wants to, frankly I think it is none of our d*mn business what decision he/the family makes. We are not their conscience. We are not their God. They are not accountible to us and we are not to judge. When one points fingers at others, they got at least three of their own, pointing back at them self.

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Kansas Wildcat] #203102 03/09/12 09:52 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Kansas Wildcat
If my son ever suggested that he did not want to wrestle an opponent because the other wrestler is black - I would have a big big problem with that (and my son would suffer the consequences)! And if my son ever wanted to forfeit a match because he heard that the opponent is gay - I would have a problem with that too.

Not wrestling because of their race = Racism

Not wrestling because of their sexual preference = Bigotry

Men not wrestling or fighting Women = Godly wisdom

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Dean Welsh] #203103 03/09/12 09:59 PM
usawks1 Offline
I learned years ago, in my past profession, that one was treading on dangerous ground when you tried to minimize anothers (especially youngsters) feelings!

Now if their feelings and convictions are clearly not in touch with reality that's a different deal. But even if they were, trying to convince a youngster otherwise needs to be handled cautiously.

But his feelings and convictions seem well founded and for him ... logical! Anyone that tries to convince him that he is wrong in his beliefs are treading all over him!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: usawks1] #203105 03/09/12 10:16 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: usawks1
I learned years ago, in my past profession, that one was treading on dangerous ground when you tried to minimize anothers (especially youngsters) feelings!

Now if their feelings and convictions are clearly not in touch with reality that's a different deal. But even if they were, trying to convince a youngster otherwise needs to be handled cautiously.

But his feelings and convictions seem well founded and for him ... logical! Anyone that tries to convince him that he is wrong in his beliefs are treading all over him!

Yep. Concise and well-said as always. That is what I have been saying all along. I'm done beating this dead horse. I have said the same thing a dozen times now. It is just that you and Chief say it better and with much, much fewer words. Being able to be concise but POWER is AWESOME!

Take care and PEACE and RESPECT to all.

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Dean Welsh] #203121 03/10/12 01:26 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
I really believe issues of faith are private, and I believe like a previous poster that it doesn't belong on here, but you brought it up so... First, I believe we now live in the 20th Century. We let them vote, they can join the army, run major corporations and even be nominated for the position of Vice President. Just think of that a woman, who as a child was not tough enough for an 11 year old boy to wrestle, could of been in the position to assume the post of President of the United States of America. I bet a lot of people who are supporting the idea that this kid should not wrestle the girl voted for the MaCain/Palin ticket. If she would not of been tough enough to wrestle a boy when she was younger, would we really want her making the decision on pushing the 'button' when she is an adult!!!! Remember wrestling is probably the greatest sport to prepare someone for life. Don’t they quote Gable as saying after wrestling, everything is easy. So are we going to deny this girl that opportunity???

Second, if you call it respect, think of the DISRESPECT you are showing her parents. The reasoning is 'he can't wrestle her for moral reasons'. Does the inverse stand true, that the parents made an immoral decision by letting her wrestle boys!!!! You are really kind of saying that.

Third, So, I wonder, when he grows up will he be able to handle having a woman boss?? I have had a few, and just like men, some are great and some I am glad they are gone.

Fourth, wrestling is the hardest sport to train for per a previous post on this forum, this girl works her butt off in practice I am sure. How can you not treat her like just another worthy opponent. Even assuming your son wins (which without even knowing the kids, I bet is correct) it will make the girl a better person having gone thru the adverstiy. As an adult she will face much more difficult situations, her parents are just trying to prepare her for such.

Finally, as a good, non-Obama supporting (reminds me of Bush), Democrat, I believe we all have the right to our own opinions. I believe you and your son should do what you think is right. But, remember, that part of the Bible that talks about praying in the closet. Deeds speak for themselves, if you really believe in what you are doing, you don't need my, or anyone else's approval.

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: John Johnson] #203125 03/10/12 01:53 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: John Johnson
If she would not of been tough enough to wrestle a boy when she was younger, would we really want her making the decision on pushing the 'button' when she is an adult!!!!

So, I wonder, when he grows up will he be able to handle having a woman boss??

Making tough decisions as an adult or having a woman boss vs. fighting her or not? That leap in logic is almost comical. (With all due respect)

Eric Johnson

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Chief Renegade] #203128 03/10/12 01:58 AM
usawks1 Offline
I agree with Chief on this one ... there is quite a difference between perhaps taking orders from or later in his life being married and having to compromise with your wife! It is quite another topic when one suggests going to literal combat with a woman.

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: John Johnson] #203130 03/10/12 02:01 AM
C
clarkgriswold Offline
C
Amen Mr.Johnson, I also believe that his refusing to wrestle shows a tremendous amount of disrespect for his opponet. People need to realize that society has evolved and grown and we are not a bunch of uneducated fisherman anymore,if we all follow the bible a lot of kids would have to be put to death at every tournament Deutorotomy 18-21
18If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear
Dont know about the kids being drunkards maybe they started drinking at an earlier age back then. This verse is pretty clear, that a lot of children now a days need to be stoned to death.

Clark Griswold

Last edited by clarkgriswold; 03/10/12 02:01 AM.
Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: clarkgriswold] #203131 03/10/12 02:10 AM
C
clarkgriswold Offline
C

Chief you mean your church is okay with homosexuality? but its okay to discriminate against women?

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: clarkgriswold] #203132 03/10/12 02:11 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Clark,

You yanked this passage completely out of it's context!!!

The Bible does not tell parents to stone their children. You are quoting part of the "law" that was given specifically to Jews (no one else) during a specific time for a specific reason.
We do not live by the 10 commandments today, although it is still wrong to lie ,steal, or murder and so on. The Jews were under the law as a means of their salvation. Any disobedience could only be atoned with blood only, this is the reason for all the sacrifices.

We no longer depend on obedience to the law for our salvation. Christs' sacrifice was final, and was for all the sins of the world.

Eric Johnson

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: clarkgriswold] #203133 03/10/12 02:12 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Originally Posted By: clarkgriswold

Chief you mean your church is okay with homosexuality? but its okay to discriminate against women?

Choosing not to fight a woman is discriminating against her?

Eric Johnson

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Chief Renegade] #203134 03/10/12 02:25 AM
C
clarkgriswold Offline
C
dis·crim·i·na·tion   /dɪˌskrɪməˈneɪʃən/ Show Spelled[dih-skrim-uh-ney-shuhn] Show IPA
noun
1. an act or instance of discriminating.
2. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.
3. the power of making fine distinctions; discriminating judgment: She chose the colors with great discrimination.
4. Archaic . something that serves to differentiate

According to the definition yes I would consider it discrimination

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: clarkgriswold] #203136 03/10/12 02:29 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
So in a positive way! Making a distinction in favor of not fighting a woman.

Eric Johnson

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Chief Renegade] #203137 03/10/12 02:34 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
Eric, no disrespect taken, but I do not believe that was a leap of logic. Having come close to getting a minor in philosphy in college, I think it makes total sense. Yes, there needs to be some steps in between, but think about it. According to Aristotle we learn by experience, by denying these girls the same experiences boys have, we are not giving them the same experiences we give boys, as such, they will not be as prepared to handle the adversities of life.

Getting a little deep for Doug to understand, so with all due respect I am out of this argument. This is like getting into the 6u threads, I always got beat up there also.

Re: DAD NEEDS ADVICE [Re: Chief Renegade] #203138 03/10/12 02:35 AM
C
clarkgriswold Offline
C
its still discrimination because he is choosing not to allow her the opportunity to compete based on her gender, which is discrimination.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 175 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)