Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: do kids cut weight? [Re: midwestdad] #203408 03/13/12 09:55 PM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: midwestdad
I think it would take 1 minute to have each wrestler step on a scale prior to their 1st match.

It wouldn't be the actual weighing that was the problem. It would be the failure to make weight. This would screw up the brackets etc. etc. Can you imagine the whining that would take place on here if someone drove 100 miles for a tournament and then everyone in their bracket ended up scratching? The problems it would create would be endless.

Re: do kids cut weight? [Re: midwestdad] #203410 03/14/12 12:35 AM
S
Seth Dillman Offline
S
I didn't when I was 8. I would do exactly what you are. Now I'm 14U and I cut 7 lbs to get an advantage but still no need to

Re: do kids cut weight? [Re: midwestdad] #203422 03/14/12 02:11 AM
D
doinasipleaz Offline
D
If you dont want to cut weight, then dont. Saw a kid at Pitt at 14u 140. Looked like a 60 pounder. Think he cuts? Why make rules to make it easier for the non -dedicated? No one tells you to cut. But when you step out against some like this you may see why you should.

Re: do kids cut weight? [Re: doinasipleaz] #203427 03/14/12 03:49 AM
HighWater Offline
Just because a child decides he does not need to cut to stay competitive, doesn't mean he is non-dedicated.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight , it's the size of the fight in the dog."
Re: do kids cut weight? [Re: HighWater] #203433 03/14/12 11:02 AM
D
doinasipleaz Offline
D
You are correct. Maybe i should have said "differently" dedicated. or that WANT to cut. or NEED to cut. Whatever their reason. Kids are going to cut. some Kids are NOT going to cut. Some kids will lift weights. Some wont. Do we start measuring muscle mass? So it will be more fair to ones that decide they dont need to work out to be competitive. Im not dogging ones that dont cut or lift at all. just saying Let them do as they will. No need to over regulate everything.

Last edited by doinasipleaz; 03/14/12 11:08 AM.
Re: do kids cut weight? [Re: doinasipleaz] #203435 03/14/12 11:15 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Throughout the season - I think parents should check their kids weight Monday morning when they wake up, Monday evening before and after practice. This will help make some decisions by not waiting until the last minute before signups. Some kids will and should lean up as the season goes along and some will and should grow from December to March. Watching your weight is part of the sport - but it should not be all consuming every week. Learn the skills, work at getting stronger, eat right, and condition.

Re: do kids cut weight? [Re: smokeycabin] #203436 03/14/12 11:55 AM
HighWater Offline
I agree. Smarter and Heathier choices. That is great advice.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight , it's the size of the fight in the dog."
Re: do kids cut weight? [Re: HighWater] #203545 03/15/12 06:47 PM
E
Eagle2 Offline
E
Hey all,
I'm on here from another state, Nebraska. We have the luxury (joking) of having more than one controlling organization here in Nebraska. At USA tournaments kids have to make pre-defined weight classes which is basically the same or close to those at Salina. At the big Huskerland tournaments you send in a weight and they do matside weigh ins. This is new this year. You must make your weight that you sent in or be on or under the heavies kid in your bracket. So a kid that sent in 78 but is paired with an 80lb. kid in his bracket has it easy. This is the first year for doing it this way. Before you sent in your weight and there was a 3lb. allowance and they drew random brackets to check weight before the tourney started. If you were more than 3 over what you sent, you forfeited. They've done the matside weighins for a while now and they work flawlessly. They have a scale behind every 2-3 mats. Brackets are preassigned mats and 15 minutes before wrestling starts kids go to their mat and weigh on the scale. If they don't make it, they forfeit. They do get the opportunity to try another scale though. We've had very little problem with it. Now for the smaller tournaments put on by clubs some weigh when you get there and some don't. Those that don't offer a challenge option. If a parent/coach feels like a kid in their sons bracket is more than 3 lbs. heavier than their kid they can pay a $10 challenge fee and make the kid step on a scale. If they're right and he is way heavier the kid is dq'd and their challenge fee is returned to them. If they are wrong and he isn't way bigger, they wrestle and the challenge fee is kept. I can honestly say I've seen 2 weight challenges in my 16 years of coaching so at least around here it doesn't happen often.

Re: do kids cut weight? [Re: midwestdad] #203585 03/16/12 05:38 AM
K
Kandy Offline
K
I bumped my kid up a bracket for subs because he had a sudden growth spurt and was really pushing his normal bracket. Last year we fought weight the last couple of weeks and it made my son unhappy that wrestling was causing him to miss out on things he enjoyed... He's definately not overweight (9 years old and 64lbs), but when all of a sudden he grows an inch or two, I decided to wrestle him up a bracket. He's the low man on the bracket, but I'd rather him prove his potential at a higher weight than have to starve himself and get burnt out on the sport.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 179 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)