Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Something to Consider #204160 03/26/12 12:46 AM
B
Brent Lane Offline OP
OP Offline
B
To the dad that told his son to "choke him out, if he can't breathe, he can't wrestle"

...what are you teaching your son?

To the parents that allow your child to not make weight all season and then bump up at the end of the season...

...what are you teaching your son?

To the high school wrestlers who displayed poor sportsmanship and behavior.

...You wouldn't have done that during high school so why now?

Just a couple of observations on what seemed like a more than positive experience at the state tournament. I hate to point out some negatives, but I was very disappointed with some of the what I witnessed.

Congratulations to all the placers and participants.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: Something to Consider [Re: Brent Lane] #204203 03/26/12 03:00 PM
M
my3sons+1 Offline
M
I agree! I was appalled by the unsportsmanlike conduct I witnessed yesterday. Especially by one young man in the 14u bracket! He nearly knocked another wrestlers mother to the ground in his post losing tantrum. This AFTER throwing headgear twice and punching his band into the mat! Helllllloooo? And he goes unpunished or unreprimanded?? Not okay! And the coach and mother coddled him! I watched it all unfold! Not one official said anything to him. Do they not see that the younger kids are watching? He's old enough to know better!! Something should have been done!

Re: Something to Consider [Re: my3sons+1] #204213 03/26/12 04:13 PM
B
Brent Lane Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I was not talking about any one high school kid in particular, and for the most part many of them were good role models, however, I did see way to many high school and older kids pushing, elbowing, cursing, etc... during and after matches. My point was the kids for the most part know they can't get away with it in high school, and when there are little kids around it's even more important for them to behave themselves.

It happens with the younger kids too.

Re: Something to Consider [Re: Brent Lane] #204217 03/26/12 05:07 PM
C
C C Offline
C
Lots of crying this weekend, and I pointed that out to our wrestlers. Were the mothers down on the floor of the Expocentre? Do they have bronze cards? Just kidding. Maybe it was the parents making too big of a deal out of the matches and not the kids.

Re: Something to Consider [Re: C C] #204243 03/26/12 08:17 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
I do want to apologize for some of my own actions this weekend. we didnt have a good weekend. lost a close match due to a full nelson. i couldnt believe it and really didnt know how to handle it afterward. i didnt act in the best way to handle it. same thing when he got caught and pinned in his 3rd and 4th place match. i do think that it was a lesson learned for my son. now if i can learn my lesson as well. i will not apologize to the 2 refs on the 3rd and 4th place mat for 10 under. not going to explain myself but that was bs. all the other refs i think did a pretty darn good job.

Scott Bockover
Re: Something to Consider [Re: bockman] #204369 03/28/12 01:57 AM
K
Kandy Offline
K
"To the parents that allow your child to not make weight all season and then bump up at the end of the season...

...what are you teaching your son?"

Not sure what you're talking about here, but I bumped my son up after we went to one of the last regular season tournaments and all of a sudden he's had a growth spurt and is now almost overweight. I will not allow my 64lb 9 year old to cut weight, so yes we bumped up for subs. I really hope that's not what your referring to as I would hope you're not expecting me to make my already thin son starve himself for 3 weeks...

Last edited by Kandy; 03/28/12 01:57 AM.
Re: Something to Consider [Re: Kandy] #204685 03/30/12 09:29 PM
M
MCL Lighty Offline
M
If I had to guess I'd say the 2 refs at 3rd and 4th 10 and under dont want your apology after........well im not going to explain myself (: but how someone acted was "bs" and im very thankful my dad or coaches didnt act like that

Re: Something to Consider [Re: Kandy] #204686 03/30/12 09:48 PM
B
Brent Lane Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Kandy
"To the parents that allow your child to not make weight all season and then bump up at the end of the season...

...what are you teaching your son?"

Not sure what you're talking about here, but I bumped my son up after we went to one of the last regular season tournaments and all of a sudden he's had a growth spurt and is now almost overweight. I will not allow my 64lb 9 year old to cut weight, so yes we bumped up for subs. I really hope that's not what your referring to as I would hope you're not expecting me to make my already thin son starve himself for 3 weeks...

Nope, wasn't referring to anyone in particular, just know with the advent of satellite weigh-ins that many took advantage of them. Kids grow, we should let them and you make a great point.

Re: Something to Consider [Re: Brent Lane] #204687 03/30/12 09:53 PM
W
wrestling24 Offline
W
I agree 100%..... we were in the same boat, and ended up bumping 2 weight classes for qualifiers.... My son hit a growth spurt and that was all she wrote... Would it have been easier at the lower weight? Definitely, but he got the job done reguardless! Kids grow, and this unfortunately seems to be the time of year that they want to!!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 142 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)