Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wrestling officials #205034 04/04/12 06:27 PM
L
Lance J. Engel Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have been watching several threads on this forum for a while and keep telling myself I shouldn’t reply but I feel the need to. First off I’d like to congratulate the women who earned enough respect by the clubs in their district to vote them in to officiate a top level tournament such as state. I would like to provide a little history on the “two younger women officials.” They both started wrestling when they were at a very young age (5 years old) put in a lot of hours at practice and put up with a lot of ridicule for trying to make it in a male dominated sport, both wrestled all the way through High School, wrestled and placed as high as 3rd in the women’s national folkstyle tournaments, as high as 3rd in freestyle national events (Fargo), one went on to wrestle at college. (More wrestling experience than a lot of coaches have.) Both of them have fathers who have officiated and coached for years and obviously they thought enough of the sport to again try to make it in another male dominated area. I know that they both have taken it quite seriously and could quote the rule and case book nearly page for page, it appears most who are complaining could not do that or you would know what the rules are. I also do not understand why the rules are not enforced from the beginning of the year the same as they will be at state other than most officials try to understand that some of the wrestlers are new and try to be patient with them and help them learn this wonderful sport. I know that at the tournaments starting in March the officials are instructed to call the wrestlers for not covering the shoelaces, stalling, leaving the mat without permission, and leaving the wrestling area during the match whether it is avoiding wrestling or pushing their opponent out to avoid wrestling, (and praying at the inside edge of the circle or out of bounds line is not leaving the mat). I have coached kids who have done these very things and taught them the proper way to do it and told them they were lucky if they got away with not doing it right. I let them know I would have called them on it. If they got “dinged” for it it’s a life lesson they probably won’t do again. It is a bad way to lose a match but if you are dinged for it at the beginning of the match I would think you would work harder to make up that point. Most coaches always say “don’t leave it up to the official.” I know sometimes it is hard to avoid but if no one scored any points the rest of the match I as a coach would have been madder at the kids for not getting a takedown, not the official for doing their job. Maybe if we as a society would teach and enforce the rules instead of teaching the kids that they don’t really have to abide by them our world wouldn’t be in the shape it is.
I’ll admit I am probably biased, the “younger woman official” is my daughter and I am extremely proud of her. To the person who thought she probably liked the drama, if you knew any of us in our family you would know you couldn’t be more wrong. We all would prefer to not draw any attention and blend into the crowd, not stand out in it. Officiating is one of those thankless jobs that no matter how much you try you can’t make everyone happy. I’m proud of the fact that she is always unbiased and is there for the sport and the kids. I'm sorry to be so winded. This has caused a lot of discussion and sleepless nights in our household as we tend to not like making anyone upset.

Lance J. Engel
Re: Wrestling officials [Re: Lance J. Engel] #205035 04/04/12 06:28 PM
L
Lance J. Engel Offline OP
OP Offline
L
“Don't Blame the Ref “
By Ben Askren
The sport of wrestling is a "one on one" sport and most people involved take pride in that
aspect. However, to me, it seems many only keep it "one on one" when it seems convenient for
them to do so. What am I talking about? Blaming the referee!
How often do you hear "I got screwed by the referee?" Last week I heard the phrase from an 8
year old member of the club I help out with. It made me sick. Well I am here to tell you, by
blaming the referee you are taking the easy way out and degrading the sport.
I say this for a number of reasons. First, most refs are good natured and do their job to the
best of their ability. They don't get paid a lot and more often than not, they ref as a service to
the sport of wrestling. Which brings me to my next point; why are fans so out-of-control in
regard to referees? Refs are trying to do a good job. The next time there is a questionable call,
be quiet and listen to those around you. Most likely you will be thinking "Wow. These people
are crazy" or "Man, these people sound stupid." Well, guess what, you sound the exact same
way. Next time, as a fan, you feel the need to scream an obscenity at the top of your lungs,
DON'T! It really isn't necessary and isn't fair to the referees. How would you like it if someone
came to your job and screamed obscenities at you and told you, you sucked?
There is a wrestling referee shortage in America, and it is the fans fault. Give refs a break, and
use your energy to support your wrestler instead.
As a wrestler, the reason to not to blame the referee is simple. It is your fault you lost, not the
refs. So often, it is sickening to see wrestlers waiting for overtime or double OT and the flip.
That concept is foreign to me. I figure if you wait that long you deserve to lose the match. I
have a simple philosophy that prevents me from blaming the referee. If my match is close
enough where the ref can make a difference then it is my fault I put him in the equation. I
strongly believe all wrestlers should think this way. If you have a problem beating people by a
lot, the answer is simple: Work Harder. I have never seen Cael Sanderson or Alexander Karelin
whine about the call of a ref. Did you? Wrestlers, do your jobs! Take responsibility for what you
do and don't blame someone else.
Next time you are at a wrestling meet, relax, cheer for the wrestlers and don't heckle the
referee. Rather applaud (not literally) his effort.
Wrestlers, next time the ref makes a questionable call, think of where you could have worked
harder and be mad at yourself instead.
Good job refs! Have fun everyone.
Ben Askren, Volunteer Assistant Coach, University of Missouri
Olympic Team Hopeful
2 X NCAA D-I Champion
2 X NCAA D-I Runner-up
2007 ESPY Nominee for Best Male Athlete
2 X Dan Hodge Trophy Winner
3rd on NCAA Pin list with 91 falls
2 X Wisconsin High School State Champion

Lance J. Engel
Re: Wrestling officials [Re: Lance J. Engel] #205040 04/04/12 08:57 PM
C
Cody_M Offline
C
Well spoken Lance, thank you for speaking on the officials' behalf. I've enjoyed officiating with Chandra and getting to know her over these last few years, she is an outstanding official... I hope some of the members on here will take your words to heart, I think you hit the nail on the head.

I think coaches can sometimes forget that, though some of us are young, we officials do know what we are talking about and we are doing our very best to give back to the sport that taught us so much as well. Do we make mistakes? absolutely not, I know I've never made one... just kidding!.. but we are out there doing our best to provide fair, safe competition for these kids.

I've had the privilege of working with (literally) the top officials in Kansas and to this day even they have some very long days thanks to some dad who can't get over the fact his kid lost. As an official we enforce the rules the best that we can, it is a fast, physical, and emotional sport. But that is what some need to realize, it is a sport and it should be fun for the kids.

Re: Wrestling officials [Re: Cody_M] #205070 04/05/12 03:33 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
i haven't brought this up yet either, but i think both of the younger female referees did a fine job. i saw them make some tough calls, unsportsmanlike, illegal holds, illegal slams, that aren't always the easiest to make. for that reason some officials simply chose to not make the call. many inexperience officials will simply chose to "turn the other cheek" rather than step up and make the call.

a point on the "why haven't you called it all year", again inexperience officials work 90-95% of the tourneys all year, then we get the top 10% at state who have probably made the same calls all year, but have only worked a few kids tourneys.

it's difficult to cover all the "small" rules at practice, so kids/ coaches/ parents have to learn them on the fly. unfortunately sometimes that lesson is learned at a very inopportune time (state tournament).

when it all comes down to it, who is to blame? the coach who spends too much time learning the spadle, and not enough time learnig the rule book? the parent who sits matside at practice and critiques every single step, rather than learning every little rule? or the referee who enforces the rules?

Last edited by HEADUP; 04/05/12 03:34 PM.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: Wrestling officials [Re: HEADUP] #205293 04/13/12 01:38 AM
W
willyks Offline
W
Lance I one love watching Chandra and the other ladies ref. They all do a fine job and watching them at girls state is a blessing. You know that refereeing is not going to be an issue in the match and it will be called fair.
These ladies know their stuff and are as fair as any referee I have ever watched. Tell them to keep their chins up and keep up the good work.

Troy

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 162 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)