Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Benedictine Coach Resigning? #209127 11/07/12 07:43 PM
Coach Davies Offline OP
OP Offline
I got word from a former wrestler of mine that Coach Wainwright told the team he is resigning and leaving pretty quickly... Anyone else hear this?? I know a lot of the wrestlers were pretty upset about it.

Zach Davies
SMNW Cougar Wrestling
Cougar Kids Wrestling
zdavies001@gmail.com
Re: Benedictine Coach Resigning? [Re: Coach Davies] #209128 11/07/12 08:11 PM
R
raiderandy Offline
R
From the Benedictine Website:

GA Thomas Williams elevated to interim head coach immediately

11/06/2012

Benedictine College Athletic Director Charlie Gartenmayer announced Tuesday morning that Raven wrestling coach Cy Wainwright has resigned his position as head coach of the first-year Benedictine program.

"We are extremely disappointed in the timing of the decision," said Gartenmayer. "But we understand it was a difficult decision that faced Coach Wainwright.

"We are excited about the momentum that was created from the results of our first competition and we are looking forward to an exciting inaugural wrestling season for the program."

Graduate Assistant Thomas Williams has been elevated to interim head coach as Wainwright's resignation is effective immediately.

"We feel we have the right kids in place to have a successful season," said Gartenmayer. "Moving forward under the leadership of Coach Williams, we are expecting to continue to see more successful outcomes as the season unfolds."

The search for Wainwright's permanent replacement will begin March 1.

Re: Benedictine Coach Resigning? [Re: raiderandy] #209133 11/07/12 09:04 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S

Benedictine Succeeds in Its First-Ever Competition

by Stove_Pipe » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:26 pm

^^^You all might enjoy this article; link-

http://ravenathletics.benedictine.edu/press-room/news/wrestling-news/wrestling-starts-strong
Stove_PipeGold Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Benedictine Succeeds in Its First-Ever Competition

by Swayz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:35 pm

I saw them in person, they are going to do very well. Coach Williams and Coach Bartlett will keep them plugging along this year. Best of wishes to Coach Wainwright as he is moving on to be the head wrestling coach at Coker.

SwayzHall of Fame Member

Last edited by smokeycabin; 11/07/12 09:05 PM.
Re: Benedictine Coach Resigning? [Re: smokeycabin] #209134 11/07/12 09:39 PM
usawks1 Offline
Wow!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Benedictine Coach Resigning? [Re: usawks1] #209162 11/08/12 09:26 PM
Ricky Bobby Offline
I found this article on Intermat

Wainwright named first wrestling coach at Coker

College vice president of athletics and facilities Lynn Griffin announced today that Cy Wainwright has been appointed as head wrestling coach. Wainwright will be the first coach in the program's history.

Cy Wainwright"Cy understands how to build a program with quality student-athletes," said Griffin. "He brings a championship mentality to this position, which is exactly what we were looking for. As a champion himself, Cy knows how to win, and we believe he will bring that mindset to our student-athletes. His wrestling accomplishments speak for themselves, and I have no doubt he will come in and build a successful, winning program here at Coker."

Wainwright comes to Coker after serving as head coach at Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas, since May 2011. Prior to that, he served as an assistant wrestling coach at St. Cloud State University in St. Cloud, Minn., for two years. In addition, he has served as an assistant coach at Atlantic High School in Port Orange, Fla.

"I am very grateful for the opportunity to become the first head wrestling coach at Coker College," Wainwright said. "Coker is a great place for students to achieve academic and athletic excellence, and I'm pleased to be part of a signature institution in a beautiful city with such a proud history. The addition of wrestling at Coker College is a testament to the growth and popularity of the sport in the Southeast. I look forward to building a great program at Coker College."

Originally from Green Cove Spring, Fla., Wainwright attended Newberry College, where he was an accomplished wrestler at the Division II level. He won the national championship in his weight class and was runner-up for Division II wrestler of the year in 2009, was a two-time All-American and served as captain of the team for three years.

Wainwright graduated from Newberry with a bachelor's degree in secondary education in 2009. He received his master's in sports management from St. Cloud State in 2012.

The national search for a head coach came immediately after Coker announced it was adding wrestling as its 17th Division II sport. The program begins competition in the 2013-14 academic year, with the first match slated for November 2013.

Link

[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]
Re: Benedictine Coach Resigning? [Re: Ricky Bobby] #209163 11/08/12 10:02 PM
B
Ben Dover Offline
B
That press release sounds familiar, here is part of the press release from Benedictine last year! :

Former NCAA Div. II National Champion Begins in July
By Josh Pound, sports information director
04/20/2011
Benedictine College Athletic Director Charlie Gartenmayer has announced the hiring of Cy Wainwright to lead the new Benedictine wrestling program.

Wainwright comes to Benedictine from St. Cloud State University in St. Cloud, Minn., where he served as an assistant coach.

"I am very grateful for the opportunity to become the first head wrestling coach at Benedictine College," he said. "Benedictine College is a great place for students to achieve academic and athletic greatness.

"Building a great wrestling program requires a campus and community wide commitment of excellence. Benedictine College has exactly that. I am up to the challenge of continuing that excellence with the Benedictine College wrestling program."

Steve Earle
Re: Benedictine Coach Resigning? [Re: Ben Dover] #209169 11/09/12 01:43 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
This is really too bad. He was doing all the right things - working in local rooms all summer and coaching Kansas kids at the Fall Brawl. My son really liked him and it appears the kids he recruited did also. I wish him luck and believe he will be successful at his new school. Too bad he didn't finish the year, but not for me to judge.

Last edited by John Johnson; 11/09/12 01:47 AM. Reason: just fully read an above post
Re: Benedictine Coach Resigning? [Re: John Johnson] #209171 11/09/12 02:02 AM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
Best of luck to Coach Wainwright, we are going to miss you.

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"

Moderated by  RichardDSalyer 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 154 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)