Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: Tyson Schreiner] #211679 01/15/13 02:16 AM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
Not sure what you mean, but lots of really good wrestlers choose to wrestle DII.

Division I is not a life choice everyone embraces.

I'm sure he knows how good he is and wants to be part of building a first-rate program for a legendary coach.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: LancerLou] #211680 01/15/13 02:25 AM
S
sportsfan02 Offline
S
Originally Posted By: LancerLou

Nor should it be the only measure of success.

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: LancerLou] #211681 01/15/13 02:26 AM
Tyson Schreiner Offline
what i mean is D1 is for D1 quality wrestlers and from my short observation, that is what i Make of him. D2 guys should be wrestling D2 level until they are matured and ready to move up. and yes you are correct, if all D1 wrestlers went and wrestled for a D2 "legendary coach" he will for sure stay legendary.

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: sportsfan02] #211682 01/15/13 02:26 AM
3HSWrestler Offline
Where can I see lapaglia v lambotte?

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: 3HSWrestler] #211683 01/15/13 02:29 AM
Tyson Schreiner Offline
go to high school, then KWCA, then bobcat face book. it will be the first video.

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: Tyson Schreiner] #211684 01/15/13 02:32 AM
3HSWrestler Offline
Thank you sir!

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: Tyson Schreiner] #211685 01/15/13 02:39 AM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
Originally Posted By: Tyson Schreiner
what i mean is D1 is for D1 quality wrestlers and from my short observation, that is what i Make of him. D2 guys should be wrestling D2 level until they are matured and ready to move up. and yes you are correct, if all D1 wrestlers went and wrestled for a D2 "legendary coach" he will for sure stay legendary.

I don't think you understand. There is more to life than wrestling D1. Some student athletes (regardless of talent) choose to focus on academics and preparing for life after college while wrestling as part of a team. Not to mention that they might want to have some fun along the way. DI is a full-time commitment with little room for anything else. DII is not a stepping stone to DI. Coach Denney has recruited and kept tons of DI quality kids. They stay with him & excel. Over 60 current coaches (from DI to high school/youth) wrestled for him.

Being a DI quality wrestler just gives you more options, but it is still a choice based on many factors other than talent.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: LancerLou] #211688 01/15/13 02:59 AM
Tyson Schreiner Offline
i guess you are correct. i dont understand. wrestling has a shelf life on average of 10 years or less after high school. academics and everything else that you commented on can also be done at a D1 college. you dont get your youth back, fun shmun, who cares. so many kids would give anything to be in his his shoes. still think its a waste of talent.

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: Tyson Schreiner] #211689 01/15/13 03:13 AM
L
LancerLou Offline
L
i guess you are correct. i dont understand. wrestling has a shelf life on average of 10 years or less after high school. academics and everything else that you commented on can also be done at a D1 college. you dont get your youth back, fun shmun, who cares. so many kids would give anything to be in his his shoes. still think its a waste of talent.

To each his own. We can "agree to disagree".

I don't even know Lapalia, but I do know DII wrestling. I am pretty sure academics take a back seat to wrestling at a lot of DI colleges. To some coaches, you are only as good as your last win.

Ultimately it is up to each wrestler with their family to find the best place for them. I respect that.

Lou Ann Baker

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: Tyson Schreiner] #211690 01/15/13 03:15 AM
Ed Wilson Offline

Before last april i would have agreed with you about whether to go d1 or d2 if given the choice with talent like lapaglias, now i realize there is more to life than wrestling and agree with lancer lou, sports should be for fun first, second and third, win or lose.

Did you see that Eckenbacherswartzendruber?

Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: Ed Wilson] #211691 01/15/13 03:27 AM
Tyson Schreiner Offline
a simple and a nice thing to say to someone who has already made their mind up, but 99.9% of everyone on here that has wrestled, regrets what they could have done if they were blessed early with premonition of how they would feel later in life not taking advantage of opportunities that were right in front of them.

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: Tyson Schreiner] #211693 01/15/13 03:56 AM
Tyson Schreiner Offline
sorry," wonders what they could have done", (not regrets). would not let me edit.

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: Ed Wilson] #211696 01/15/13 04:05 AM
T
TMun Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Ed Wilson

Before last april i would have agreed with you about whether to go d1 or d2 if given the choice with talent like lapaglias, now i realize there is more to life than wrestling and agree with lancer lou, sports should be for fun first, second and third, win or lose.

BUMP...Good perspective...Glad it is goin well

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: TMun] #211697 01/15/13 04:15 AM
Ed Wilson Offline
Originally Posted By: TMun
Originally Posted By: Ed Wilson

BUMP...Good perspective...Glad it is goin well

Thank you Troy

Tyson, my son is spencer wilson, he is the 182 for seaman, why dont you come to the dual on thur at seaman and we can sit down and chat about perspective and how it can change very quickly.

Did you see that Eckenbacherswartzendruber?

Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: luellen] #211698 01/15/13 10:41 AM
M
morestler Offline
M
michael has been using that move since he was eight yrs. old. thats a really bold statement to suggest that he was intentionally using his three quarter nelson as a strangulation hold. in the eight years he has been wrestling no one has ever went unconscious from having this hold applied. i suggest you carefully edit your post from here on out before you submit them.you know nothing about my family. yet you have the balls to come on a public wrestling forum and make accusations about a 16 yr. old kid and his parents. who do you think you are? i would be delighted to meet with you at your earliest convenience to discuss this matter on a more in-depth basis. keith pixley 618-781-9646.

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: morestler] #211700 01/15/13 12:12 PM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
As was stated earlier...

It's not on Michael or his coach.

Pixley was trying to win the match, nothing more. It was the OFFICIALS responsibility to recognize the danger and stop it before it became illegal. When Eck blacked out it IMMEDIATELY became an illegal hold, by rule, and the official, not in judgement but by interpretation made a bad call that prevented a great match-up between two elite wrestlers.

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: morestler] #211702 01/15/13 02:00 PM
L
luellen Offline
L
After I read your post I realized I made a mistake. I thought that the Pratt choke out was Michael. I checked when I got to work & It was another wrestler. I was out of line & I am sorry. I deleted my post. Michael Luellen 785-230-3877

Lazy hands make for poverty,
but diligent hands bring wealth.
Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: LancerLou] #211706 01/15/13 03:55 PM
J
jhayes Offline
J
Originally Posted By: LancerLou
Not sure what you mean, but lots of really good wrestlers choose to wrestle DII.

I'm sure he knows how good he is and wants to be part of building a first-rate program for a legendary coach.

Darick had varies options when it came to choosing a college. His grades are solid and he has very strong ACT score. DI schools missed out on this kid and with that being said, he choose to attend Maryville. The Maryville coaching staff has embraced and made him an offer that would be very hard for any student athletic and parent to turn down. I look for Darick to perform at the DII level and who knows, maybe later down the road, he'll end up at a DI school.

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: jhayes] #211709 01/15/13 04:32 PM
badbo Offline
jhayes makes a great point. Alot of it is the offer you can get and affordability. For any KS kid you are going to pay out of state tuition to wrestle D1. That is 15k a year. Even if the D1 school can offer everything else the same as smaller schools (which they cannot because they have only 9.9 scholarships total) they have higher costs, and in the end a greater amount out of pocket. Many times it boils down to is it worth 60k (4 years of 15k out of state tuition) to a family to wrestle D1. That is what it boiled down to for us.

Bottom line for KS kids is you have to be willing to pay extra to wrestle D1. Not saying what is right or wrong, just saying it's a choice. Darick is going to a great place with a great coach. He will do great, and he will have plenty of chances each week to wrestle D1 kids and show how good he is.

Re: Bobcat Classic [Re: badbo] #211718 01/15/13 07:57 PM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Yep, we are going through that with my son and baseball right now. He could go to some big schools like Bo could have, but when I got the estimate for how much the difference was going to be, it is mind boggling. It is easy for people to come on here and tell kids what they should or shouldn't do, but there is nothing in the world wrong with NCAA II, III, or NAIA schools. Some of them are the best education you can possibly get. Presidents have come from them and CEO's of major corporations. I coached at William Jewell for a number of years and the offers that some of our graduates got just to be interns at major corporations was just unreal to an old football coach like me. I say great luck to Lapaglia at Maryville (did I get that right), and I look forward to seeing how he does, just like I look forward to how Bo and Middleton and some of the great kids at Baker do. Power to them.

Another thing, some of you know that I coached for a number of years in local high schools and we had a great many kids go out and scholarship at DI schools. I am ashamed to say that the great majority of them were used and abused by those very schools they gave so much to. Be careful what they all wish for. All that glitters is not gold.

Last edited by Westfahl; 01/15/13 07:59 PM.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 117 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,369
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)