Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? #211889 01/18/13 11:43 AM
L
Lars Lueders Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have been watching some of the action through my Flo account. However, I can't find any brackets, bout numbers, matchups, etc. It is really difficult to follow the kids without these. Does anyone know if/where these are available online?

Thanks,

Lars Lueders
Dodge City HS
Head Wrestling Coach

Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Lars Lueders] #211892 01/18/13 01:00 PM
W
Wrestlerspappy Offline
W
What i have had to do is let my friends and family back home know all that information and let them know when they are coming up. You would think if they are going to charge for the service they would have all that up on the site.

Jason Ford
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Wrestlerspappy] #211893 01/18/13 01:02 PM
D
dagwood Offline
D
Unfortunately there is nowhere online to see brackets.

Darren Newton
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: dagwood] #211895 01/18/13 01:08 PM
L
Lars Lueders Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks Darren.

Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Lars Lueders] #211903 01/18/13 02:18 PM
B
Brent Lane Offline
B
Is there a particular reason they do not put the brackets out?

"If it is to be, it is up to me!"
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Brent Lane] #211907 01/18/13 03:18 PM
M
mcpdad Offline
M
They don't use computers. It is all handwritten. None of the roller tournaments release brackets. I was talking to one of the workers there last year and he said. If someone wants to see who is in a bracket, then sign up for the tournament and wrestle...lol. Made perfect sense to me.

Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: mcpdad] #211913 01/18/13 04:36 PM
D
dagwood Offline
D
My son did show up and hopefully he decides to wrestle but dad is stuck back home having to count on him for updates. With the level of talent they have competing I don't get why they wouldn't put it on display.

Darren Newton
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: dagwood] #211915 01/18/13 04:59 PM
M
mcpdad Offline
M
Sorry to say that you will have to depend on texting or phones to find out how he does. Good luck to your son!

Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: mcpdad] #211941 01/19/13 04:23 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
i dont think they make enough off the tournament. so they cant afford to get up to date like most other tournaments lol. i mean you do the math.

Scott Bockover
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: bockman] #211951 01/19/13 04:00 PM
in it to win it Offline
They don.t make enough off the tournament----don't fool yourself it's their business. Why would you cut the old back in the days 'hard luck' tournament to be running a ~~~1000+ novice tournament. They don't drive new Escalades for nada. Just the sponsors are paying thousands.
At least Brute Nationals for instance gives back t o the wrestling community....not as hefty entry fee finalists get a singlet (common with East coast big tourneys)....USA Preseason Nationals or Post season.

In it to win it.
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: in it to win it] #211952 01/19/13 04:36 PM
J
Jack Otero Offline
J
You get what you pay for... I will pay to enter this tournament based on the level of competition! You can have Brute and their 50+ dollars coaches pass and the finals on Sunday (extra night in hotel+food). Jack Roller sets the high bar for wrestling competition in youth wrestling period!

To be the man, you got to beat the MAN!!
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Jack Otero] #211953 01/19/13 05:20 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
obviously you didnt see the lol in it cause i was being sarcastic. like jack said you get what you pay for. you go there to wrestle the best competition in the us. i would like for them to give parents and grandparents and relatives who cannot make the trip a chance to follow somehow though.

Scott Bockover
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: bockman] #211956 01/19/13 05:45 PM
in it to win it Offline
Sarcasm noted. Lol.
Ever heard of Ohio T.O.C.? Beast of the East? Super 32? There are many Jacks out there. Most are into Trackwrestling too. Oops back to $$$ issue. Tulsa Nationals is. F. A. R. from being the TOUGHEST when everyone that enters is IN. However, we will agree its a nice midwestern NATIONAL tournament. But really the heat tsssssss is not nearly there at his other National events comparative to Tulsa.

At least a Senior discount would be a PERK!

Last edited by in it to win it; 01/19/13 05:58 PM. Reason: Sr. discount idea

In it to win it.
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: in it to win it] #211957 01/19/13 06:34 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Ricki, you crack me up but your right by my observation. Alex had a bracket 2 years ago where the Ok kid was seeded 1st Ohio 2nd and a kid from New York that wasnt seeded smoked the bracket! Not alot of East Coast representation at this tournament. Mainly no PA. kids. That being said my son has never placed at it!

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #212010 01/20/13 07:32 PM
Cokeley Offline
Brackets at Tulsa Nationals...

Sammy was in a 64 man bracket this year. The hand writing was so small and illegible, I had to break out my readers and a magnifying glass. The copy quality was poor... Yet, I had to pay $2 for my copy which was quickly outdated because of scratches.

Why wouldn't you use what is available today? You could charge $50 for a kid to change weight classes instead of disqualifying him. You could move your deadline to something more reasonable like the Wednesday before the tournament instead of ten days before. The brackets could be quickly redrawn when a seed no shows or when you have scratches. You could boost your coverage and advertising opportunities.

It does confuse me that Jack doesn't embrace technology. Numbers were WAY down at the CK Kickoff. I haven't looked at the totals for this year's TN but I hope they are down too. The only way he will change is if it starts impacting his pocket book.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Cokeley] #212011 01/20/13 08:04 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Brackets at Tulsa Nationals...

Sammy was in a 64 man bracket this year. The hand writing was so small and illegible, I had to break out my readers and a magnifying glass.

It could be that you are getting old. wink

Why wouldn't you use what is available today?

I agree and would love for them to put this on Trackwrestling.

You could charge $50 for a kid to change weight classes instead of disqualifying him.

I disagree. Make weight period. This is not a local tourney where we have an A B C and D bracket. We are not at Tulsa to make kids feel good or feel like winners. Make weight or dont participate.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Beeson] #212018 01/20/13 09:17 PM
J
Jack Otero Offline
J
I agree with Chad... To many guys dropping massive amounts of weight. Make the weight or don't! BS! It's Jacks tournament and he is consistent... step up and go or make excuses. Win or lose you can come out of this tournament with lessons learned!
Grow as a wrestler and have the parents quit coddling their kid! This may or may not be the toughest tournament in the country but it is very tough!! You can scratch 3 or 4 kids in each bracket and still have the stiffest competition within a 6 hour drive. Why not go? Someone please come up with some excuses for me!

To be the man, you got to beat the MAN!!
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Jack Otero] #212025 01/21/13 12:11 AM
Cokeley Offline
These are kids! Not men, not HS kids. When you enter two weeks ahead things happen. Jack and Chad, we are trying to grow this sport. People spend hundreds to come to this tournament and maybe the little guy had a growth spurt and just couldn't make it or it became obvious that it wasn't safe to go down? This is a kids sport, there is no reason to be a hard a$$ or you will just run off many potential competitors. I am just saying you would allow, for a $50 penalty, a bump up one weight class. At Fargo you get bumped up for free. TN is no bigger or better than USA FS/GR Nationals and those are HS kids not 8 year olds.

I am not saying it isn't good competition, I am saying that you have to change with the times and this tournament has not.

Now, a TRUE STORY. This can be backed up by two officials: Fall of 2007 CK Kickoff. Ryne was .6 over and there was only 30 minutes left to weigh. I made Ryne run and told the two officials to let me know when he HAD to weigh. They told me so we dried him off and put him on the scale. .1 under. A few minutes later while Ryne was drinking and getting dressed a kid and his father walked up. They asked if the kid could weigh. The officials said he could step on for one try. The wrestler was one pound over in the same weight class Ryne was in. The father asked to bump up and the officials told him he was done. The father pressed the issue. The officials pointed Jack Roller out to them. The duo made their way over to Jack. Two hours later we arrive back to wrestle. Guess who Ryne had in the first round? Yep, the kid that was a pound over. That kid took a severe a$$ whipping. Made me wonder how much $$ changed hands or what happened. I lost a bunch of respect for these events that night. How many times had that happened before? Just allow a one class bump up and this would never be an issue.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: Cokeley] #212036 01/21/13 01:38 AM
M
MarkButcher
Unregistered
MarkButcher
Unregistered
M
Because its not fair to the kids that spend 2 weeks cutting 6 pounds. LOL I love all the guys that are always spouting off " there only kids just let them wrestle" and behind closed doors its all weight lifting and diets. My kids do ok without drinking salt or having apple sauce for every meal. Every kid should get to wrestle even if it means going up because you couldn't make weight (thanks to dad for putting him at such a low weight in the first place). $50 bucks isn't unreasonable at a roller tournament. You're going to spend 500 anyway.
How many kids would cut weight if the choice was actually there choice??? So you shouldn't punish the kids.

PS: If your Doctor tells you that your kid needs to shed some weight you should take HIS advice.

Re: Tulsa Nationals Brackets??? [Re: ] #212038 01/21/13 01:59 AM
bubbasmom77 Offline
I am well aware of the weight cutting game. As I played it myself in high school. With that beingsaid, we chose not to lose anything for tulsa. We have made this same decision for 2 years now and prior to that it was a pound or 2 at the most. This year the size was just too great to overcome. I stick by my decision as high school is only 2 years away. Logan has been a perrennial placer at roller events and I dont believe that it was a lack of skill that made him 1-2 this year. These are great tough tourneys that have become a weight cutting competition. The sad fact about this is if everyone just chose to wrestle what they weigh 80 % would be wrestling the same kids anyway. I dont see a problem letting kids move up in weight and just thrown in the bracket. Also if your gonna broadcast live on flo brackets and match numbers to go with it only makes sense. All this being said. We will be back next year without fail. Just my .02. Mike Pirl

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 135 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,369
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)