Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring #212150 01/22/13 02:44 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Currently a team is not awarded points for meeting an open spot in the bracket unless the wrestler wins their next match. This is WRONG.

In 5A and 6A all regionals have eight teams competing. Many of these teams do NOT fill their roster. Since we keep TEAM score and crown a TEAM regional champs, these open roster spots should be scored as FORFEITS. A wrestler should NOT have to win his next round match to score team points. It is not logical to score this way. If a team doesn't bring a wrestler it is not in the opposing team's control. Advancement and Bonus points MUST be awarded immediately when you encounter an OPEN roster spot or you are penalizing a team for brining a full line up. How can anyone think this is ok?

Thoughts?

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: Cokeley] #212152 01/22/13 03:52 PM
Coach Malay Offline
For once cokely i agree with you.

Michael Malay
Trego Community High School Head Wrestling Coach
mmalay@tregoeagles.com
785-769-3082
Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: Cokeley] #212153 01/22/13 03:53 PM
Coach Malay Offline
For once cokely i agree with you.

Michael Malay
Trego Community High School Head Wrestling Coach
mmalay@tregoeagles.com
785-769-3082
Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: Coach Malay] #212158 01/22/13 04:25 PM
P
Peanut1234 Offline
P
Looks like SJA might be looking for some more points for their Regional battle agianst STA.

Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: Peanut1234] #212160 01/22/13 04:37 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
STA does have a few open spots, But SJA would not benefit from all of those opens. But someone would - on the front side and the back side. Makes sense to me.

Mark

The older I get the better I was!
Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: back in the day] #212181 01/22/13 07:52 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
http://wrestling.isport.com/wrestling-guides/a-guide-to-tournament-scoring-in-wrestling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_wrestling

Forfeit: If one wrestler fails to appear on the mat at the start of the match for some reason, and the other wrestler appears on the mat, the wrestler on the mat at the start of the match is automatically declared the winner.[15] The winning team in a dual meet is then awarded six team points.[12] If during the course of a tournament, a wrestler wishes to no longer participate because of illness or injury, then his opponent wins by medical forfeit,[15] worth the same number of individual and team tournament placement points as a forfeit.[16]

Last edited by smokeycabin; 01/22/13 07:59 PM.
Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: smokeycabin] #212184 01/22/13 08:11 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: smokeycabin
http://wrestling.isport.com/wrestling-guides/a-guide-to-tournament-scoring-in-wrestling

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_wrestling

Forfeit: If one wrestler fails to appear on the mat at the start of the match for some reason, and the other wrestler appears on the mat, the wrestler on the mat at the start of the match is automatically declared the winner.[15] The winning team in a dual meet is then awarded six team points.[12] If during the course of a tournament, a wrestler wishes to no longer participate because of illness or injury, then his opponent wins by medical forfeit,[15] worth the same number of individual and team tournament placement points as a forfeit.[16]

If your team doesn't have a wrestler participating in a weight class then he/she couldn't appear if they wanted to. If your team doesn't have a wrestler they are going to fail to appear for the match. Simple.

Failure to fill your roster should allow other teams to earn the same number of points as a fall or you are basically encouraging coaches to leave inferior wrestlers home. If there is a TEAM championship awarded you should FILL your team or suffer the consequences. A TEAM with a full roster should not have their ability to earn team points handicapped by a teams failure to fill a roster.

The rule, as it stands, to only award points if you win after being matched up to an OPEN roster spot is absolutely WRONG. There is no debate Sean.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: Cokeley] #212185 01/22/13 08:29 PM
Thompson Offline
Every time a wrestler gets a bye --because some of the tourney programs automatically push the byes to the higher seeds—that wrestler is in danger of losing the opportunity to gain the 1st round points if they do not win their next match. It has been like that for a long time. I would love to be a team with a full roster, so the idea that that teams with rosters that can’t be filled should suffer the consequences is a fact as we already do. If I had the kids to work with to fill the roster it would make us more dangerous—not everyone has that luxury. That being said, if the higher seeds are not given the byes and are guaranteed matches instead of the byes, then that might partially help the problem. Otherwise, we are all handicapped by the same situation, so it is an interesting discussion, but it will not change for this season, so, you are right--there is no debate-- the rule is there already.

Tate Thompson
Head Wrestling Coach
Pratt High School
Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: Thompson] #212188 01/22/13 09:06 PM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S

www.kshsaa.org/Publications/Wrestling.pdf

I think coaches would prefer having all 14 wrestlers give their best effort, win and/or place at regionals and state.

There is luck of the draw who gets a bye and who does not get a bye.

Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: smokeycabin] #212194 01/22/13 09:43 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline

www.kshsaa.org/Publications/Wrestling.pdf

I think coaches would prefer having all 14 wrestlers give their best effort, win and/or place at regionals and state.

There is luck of the draw who gets a bye and who does not get a bye.

There is no luck involved in not filling your roster. This obsolete rule flys in the face of a level playing field. Although I agree with you Tate, a team is penalized by not being full, there should be no "luck" involved for teams that do fill their rosters. If it were a dual event there would not even be a thread. Explain to me how showing up without a full roster at a regional tournament where team score is being kept, is any different than a dualing another team. If you roster is not full one team suffers and the other prospers. It should be NO different here.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: Cokeley] #212202 01/22/13 10:45 PM
K
KevinP Offline
K
I also agree with Cokeley's comments.

Another acceptable answer from my perspective, since there SHOULD BE AN ADVANTAGE to achieving a higher seed then I think it would be fair to match the lowest seeded wrestler that actually are at the tourney to the highest seed (as is currently done) but give the first bye to the 8th seeded wrestler, the next bye to the 7th seed,...
Perhaps I'm wrong. I realize that anyone could beat anyone. But if I was a high seed then that is how I'd want to disburse byes.

Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: KevinP] #212204 01/23/13 12:28 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
What if someone doesn't make weight or is sick and never weighs in? Has to be a BYE, OPEN, FORFEIT or what? It happens every year. What if wrestler gets kicked off team or ejected from tournament previous week prior to regionals. It would be great if every 8, 12, 16 man brackets were completely full. What if your 106 pound freshman (who has not won a match all year) can pin your 220 pounder who hasn't won a match all year. Do you develop them or throw them to the wolves and see if they will come out next year. The individual tournament scoring format has been in place for a long time(it is not dual meet format) - maybe it is time for a change. But it might have to be done at NFHS Wrestling Rules Group, A Coaching Association, KWCA or KSHSAA Wrestling Rules group.

Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: smokeycabin] #212211 01/23/13 01:22 AM
J
James Stout Offline
J
I agree with Will on this one. I really dont think the rule will change. BUT One way you could give your kids a better chance at a first round match is to not have them seeded. This would not make the coach very popular as those "bracket busters" would likely mess the bracket up entirely. It would though give him the potential to score the most team points as he would almost be guaranteed a first round match with a seeded wrestler.

Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: James Stout] #212270 01/23/13 03:51 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
In an 8 man regional bracket, if you catch an OPEN spot you can only score team points on the front side if you make the finals. Does that make sense?

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: Cokeley] #212307 01/23/13 10:30 PM
T
TMun Offline
T
Right on target Will...The advancement & potential bonus points are huge in those tight team races...Saw it first hand back when I was asst coach at ol' Osborne High 25+ yrs ago during the MCL tournament.

Last edited by TMun; 01/23/13 10:31 PM.
Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: TMun] #212313 01/24/13 01:28 AM
S
smokeycabin Offline
S
Correct there is no debate. I did not make the rules.

But I strongly believe that someone should have to win a match to
gain any team advancement points in an individual tournament.

Are you guys saying a wrestler that goes 0-2 in the tournament but gets a first round bye should get 4 points for his team?

That I do not understand?

Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: smokeycabin] #212318 01/24/13 02:05 AM
Beeson Offline
Correct there is no debate. I did not make the rules.

But I strongly believe that someone should have to win a match to
gain any team advancement points in an individual tournament.

Are you guys saying a wrestler that goes 0-2 in the tournament but gets a first round bye should get 4 points for his team?

That I do not understand?

I agree that a wrestler should have to win to gain any points. Just showing up does not mean that you automatically score points.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: Beeson] #212324 01/24/13 03:16 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
When a team doesn't present a wrestler the opposing team who has a wrestler wins the match. Surely a forfeit is not a foreign concept to Chad and Sean.

Fill your team or suffer the consequences. Do you really want to encourage teams to leave wrestlers at home because they are afraid they will go 0-2? If a wrestler works out all season, makes weight and another school doesn't have anyone for him to wrestle he should earn points.

Do you understand that if you encounter an OPEN in the first round the only way to score team points on the front side is to make it to the finals!? A wrestler wouldn't be 0-2 in the case you highlighted. He would be 1-2.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: Cokeley] #212326 01/24/13 03:38 AM
H
Harry L. LaMar Offline
H
curious,
1. do you think he should score 4 points or 2 points for a bye? 4 points would be the same philosophy as a dual score. 2 points would not.
2. you are suggesting that wrestlers earn a victory for each bye they receive all year long the same as a forfeit? (I hardly think it makes sense to just do it at regionals, afterall they keep score in every meet all year). this would add 5-10 victories for many kids through the course of the year. Im not buying a kid going 0-2 and earning 4 team points and a victory.
Im not in favor of a kid possibly earning 10 wins via byes, and 40 team points throughout the year without winning a match. A kid could add another 5 or so wins that he received in dual forfiets, not win a match all year and have 15 wins on the season. this might allow him to have a winning record at regionals and earn a seed. arghhhh

It’s a great day to be alive
Re: HS Regionals - Open Spots & Team Scoring [Re: Harry L. LaMar] #212328 01/24/13 03:46 AM
Ed Wilson Offline
So.. a forfiet at a dual is ok to count as a victory but a bye (forfiet) at a tourny isnt, to me its the same thing, which ever team doesnt bring a full roster is forfieting the open spots matches in the bracket. Right?

Most byes go to the high seeded wrestlers anyway.

Last edited by Ed Wilson; 01/24/13 03:47 AM.

Did you see that Eckenbacherswartzendruber?

Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 130 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,369
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)