Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Salina Thread [Re: HokaheyCoach] #213056 01/31/13 09:34 PM
B
Bones1768 Offline
B
Originally Posted By: HokaheyCoach
Rich, At this point I would not start quoting bylaws in an attempt to save face. Hossus made a comment about the past that really has nothing to do with the price gouging and "Fort Knox" style armed security we encountered last weekend... those I know you HAD no control over. The officiating tho you do have control over and after speaking with several officials, you were turned down by many GREAT officials because the compensation did not match the competition level or the extended hours your event brings.. this post is addressing the venue's issues however, I would recommend reevaluating the wages you are offering so we can get quality officials at this tournament next year if all other issues are resolved.

I don't think Rich is trying to save face as you so put it. Hossus stated a reason why they stopped attending the TOC and Rich quoted a specific rule by Kansas Kids wrestling. That rule goes for all tournaments in KANSAS. Some on you on here seem to be bitching just to be bitching. It sounds like they are working on trying to get things changed. Hopefully the network will allow trackwrestling to be utilized to the max and hopefully the concessions will improve. But the last time I checked the prices are crazy at Topeka also. Maybe next year, they will let the athletes bring in drinks, but if I remember at Topeka at state they were only allowed one bottle of whatever for state wrestling.
As for the officials, that is another story.
Oh yeah we will be back next year either way.

Steve Schroeder
Con-Kids

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Bones1768] #213057 01/31/13 09:45 PM
B
Bones1768 Offline
B
COOLERS AND BAGS: The Kansas Expocentre will not allow any food, glass containers, or coolers to be brought into Landon Arena. They are under contract for all food, beverage, novelty, and concession services in Exhibition Hall and Landon Arena. If you bring a large bag, do not be alarmed when you are asked to open it!

This is taken from the usawks page under the state championship heading. So if you are worried about salina, get ready for topeka.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Bones1768] #213058 01/31/13 10:01 PM
JACD_Moison Offline

Last edited by JACD_Moison; 01/31/13 10:01 PM.

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: Salina Thread [Re: JACD_Moison] #213092 02/01/13 03:30 AM
M
meb Offline
M
Allowing empty bottles should definitely be included in the negotiations. The kids can at least stay hydrated that way. And no, spending $4 for a drink then refilling that bottle is not an option. So just say no when they suggest that.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Bones1768] #213148 02/01/13 07:16 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
This same type of discussion comes up about every year in regards to the security guards at the expo center. Not so much at the entrance, but at the stair ways going on and off of the floor mat floor. I am guessing this will be a conversation again after the state tournament.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: L.Geyer] #213149 02/01/13 07:47 PM
H
HokaheyCoach Offline
H
I keep hearing people referring to Topeka.. The difference between State and Salina TOC is that in Salina you wrestle 6-8 matches in 1 day where at State you wrestle 4-5 matches in 2 days. Plenty of time between matches to go outside and eat and some even are able to leave mid afternoon day 1. No comparison really. On top of that the State tourney is not ran by a club and is under a long term contract through the city. My understanding is that the Salina TOC is an annual contract that can be negotiated and is ran by the Salina Wrestling Club. It states clearly on the Bi-Centennial website "Unless authorized by Salina Bicentennial Center Staff, the carrying of food and beverages into the arena is prohibited" Clearly this is able to be "authorized" .. the point of this post.

Last edited by HokaheyCoach; 02/01/13 07:55 PM.

Scott Walker

There are no losers in wrestling ...only winners & learners!
Re: Salina Thread [Re: L.Geyer] #213150 02/01/13 08:02 PM
T
Tom Richard Offline
T
At some point parents and coaches need to realize that big venues cost a lot of money, so in order to attend you must be prepared to spend! Salina’s club and the State Tournament committee have no control or the cost of concessions, the venue has contracts for this work they are required to honor. Everyone has the option of going or staying home, make your choice and let the rest go! If I was in charge of the Salina event I would charge 10.00 to get in!

It's time to move on.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Brent Lane] #213153 02/01/13 08:24 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: Brent Lane
Do the high school teams take coolers into the facility during high school state? I believe they do? If they can make an exception for high school, certainly they can make an exception for this event. Do not use their "policy" as an excuse to do what's right for the kids. A bottle of water at least.

This is correct and it should be the same for all. There are things that are better for wrestlers while competing than what the local venue has to offer. If the local venue doesn't offer the same thing or something very similar then they shouldn't prohibit it from being allowed in the building.

Lee Girard
Re: Salina Thread [Re: Travis Phippen] #213154 02/01/13 08:30 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: Travis Phippen
Brent,

At the high school state tournament you are not allowed either. Coolers have to be stored in another room outside of the venue.

Travis,

I didn't see your post before I made mine. You are also correct. High school teams can have coolers but they have to be taken through the invisible well fortified near the dungeon out of site back door (that was my experience last year at Hartman Arena). At least they get to eat what they should and not the stuff that is offered by the facility.

Lee Girard
Re: Salina Thread [Re: Tom Richard] #213155 02/01/13 08:39 PM
H
HokaheyCoach Offline
H
Good thing you are not in charge Tom... you are welcome to move on smile

Scott Walker

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Tom Richard] #213174 02/02/13 12:21 AM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Tom,
I am really not sure if you thought my comment was attacking topeka and/or salina, but if that is what you were thinking, you are wrong. I simply said the security at topeka always seems to be brought up as an issue as well.

And as far as parents or coaches realizing that venues cost money. I do realize this. I am not a parent, but I am a coach. We as well have to pay for our venue to run our Hays tournament. So by no means am I trying to put this on the salina club, or on the state committee, as I am well aware of the work it takes to plan and put on a big tournament.

If my comments earlier were taken out of context I apologize. It was not meant as a negative view toward salina club or the state committee.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Brent Lane] #213180 02/02/13 01:39 AM
J
JamyD Offline
J
Osage City Tournament Feb 17th will be selling $2 hotdogs (catsup and mustard are free!!!)

Sorry all, no disrespect to anyone, just trying to promote my small club and tourney....

Carry on!!!!
smile

Re: Salina Thread [Re: JamyD] #213192 02/02/13 12:53 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: JamyD
Osage City Tournament Feb 17th will be selling $2 hotdogs (catsup and mustard are free!!!)

Sorry all, no disrespect to anyone, just trying to promote my small club and tourney....

Carry on!!!!
smile

I remember when you could get a hotdog for a quarter. Good luck with your club and your tournament.

Lee Girard
Re: Salina Thread [Re: ReDPloyd] #213206 02/02/13 11:43 PM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
Hotdog for a quarter?? How old are you Lee??????? Collecting Social Security already!!!

Re: Salina Thread [Re: John Johnson] #213208 02/03/13 12:10 AM
J
JamyD Offline
J
Ouch!!!!

Re: Salina Thread [Re: JamyD] #213212 02/03/13 12:32 AM
S
Stoudman Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hey all:

So I think we have provided enough ammo for Salina and Rich to get the attention of the Bicentennial Center and make some much needed changes. Again, this is an effort to help the Salina Club as I think we all agree that we need the level of competition from that tournament. Lets just keep the pressure on the venue and hope that things changes. Yes, there is a petition that you can sign. See it here at this link http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/bicentennial-center-changes-for-youth-wrestling.html

Again, you all have been great with the support and it is nice to see the community come together and voice our opinion when we all agree that what took place was so far out of line that we needed to help get it changed. Great job to each of you.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Stoudman] #213231 02/03/13 02:46 AM
C
creach boys Offline
C
At state the kids Were allowed to bring a drink in.

Last edited by creach boys; 02/03/13 02:47 AM.
Re: Salina Thread [Re: John Johnson] #213259 02/03/13 05:59 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: John Johnson
Hotdog for a quarter?? How old are you Lee??????? Collecting Social Security already!!!

Alright John, you got me, probably not a quarter, maybe closer to 50-60 cents. As far as collecting SS, I am afraid by the time I qualify it may not exist, at least not like it is today. Anyway, back to wrestling and the Salina Thread.

Lee Girard
Re: Salina Thread [Re: Hossus] #213359 02/05/13 03:56 PM
H
HokaheyCoach Offline
H
Rich... any news on the talks for next year?

Scott Walker

Re: Salina Thread [Re: HokaheyCoach] #213402 02/06/13 01:43 AM
Lucas Baker Offline
I know its been a week ago, but I think it should be known, There was a kid from Nebraska that came down to wrestle in the TOC, I guess the power went out or the score clock went down or was shut off temporarily after the end of his 2nd period. The official called the kids to the center of the mat raised one kids hand and sent them off. The coach for this Nebraska kid ran out on the mat and told the official they only wrestled two periods. The official said nope they wrestled three periods the match was over. The coach grabbed his video camera and showed the official that they only wrestled two periods, by this time the next match had started, The official said sorry but its over now, So he went to the head table and showed them the tape. They basically said sorry but we cannot do anything about it now. I was so shocked I forgot to ask who won the match, do you guys think they will drive down here next year after that lil mixup?

I did not ask what mat this happened on. He did tell me the Official on mat 12 called a pin on one of his kids, without getting down on the mat to check, further review of the video shows the left shoulder blade was three inches off the mat, It also shows the official giving back points from a standing position......

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 124 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,939
Posts250,371
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)