Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Salina Thread [Re: JACD_Moison] #213552 02/07/13 03:45 PM
H
HokaheyCoach Offline
H
Beeson is right that the competiton is tough on that side of the state but we produce champions over here as well.. Not saying you would miss the 17 wrestlers we brought but add the 11 from this club and the 15 from that club and you have now taken a small chunk of the competition away. I am all for it staying in Salina and at the BC but things have to change. As Jimmy mentioned there is a lot of room for improvement and the competition is the only thing that makes this tourney attractive at this point. We are posting to this forum with the intent to make change to THIS tourney. I am all for supporting any club that is willing to put the work in to run a tournament and it is typically ran well however, my 2 hour drive home with a belly ache and being pissed off about the officiating is what prompted me to speak up.

Beeson... I apologize, after rereading my post..the clueless comment was uncalled for but your reply to this post is still meaningless smile

Scott Walker

There are no losers in wrestling ...only winners & learners!
Re: Salina Thread [Re: HokaheyCoach] #213553 02/07/13 03:50 PM
S
Stoudman Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hey Trav - Cody can wrestle Mason at St. James. Like I said East Kansas can wrestle themselves and get basically the same result. No need to drive 2 1/2 hours for tough competiton. smile

On the East side we call that practice!

Last edited by Stoudman; 02/07/13 08:30 PM.
Re: Salina Thread [Re: Stoudman] #213557 02/07/13 04:48 PM
Beeson Offline
I have never been to the East Side, and being from Ark City I sure don't want to get into a pissing match about tough wrestling. I wasn't meaning to slight any team or district. My point that the clubs that bring competition will continue to go to Salina for the competition. Tackle the biggest problem first, Officiating. Once that is fixed go to the next biggest problem, in my opinion: Arm Bands allowing everyone in the place to be on the floor. Change takes time, so give it some time.

Scott, No apology needed, but it is accepted. I have pretty thick skin. AND I have been known to run off at the mouth at times.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Salina Thread [Re: Beeson] #213582 02/07/13 08:36 PM
KMac Offline
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Scott, No apology needed, but it is accepted. I have pretty thick skin. AND I have been known to run off at the mouth at times.

WHEN have YOU ever run off at the mouth? That comment will require some documentation. I've NEVER seen it.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: KMac] #213600 02/08/13 02:59 AM
R
reddog2853 Offline
R
i have been reading this thread for awhile now and i have come to the conclusion that many kids got screwed at that tourn and the refs where bad but we have to sit back and think that this is not high school boys. we need to keep in mind that yes we want are kids to win but there is always going to be someone better. remember keep it fun cause when all this counts is when they are in high school and wrestling for a championship. does it really matter at this age, mat time is the most critical and keep it positive for them to learn and be a champion no matter what happens on the mat. listening to grown men arguing whos better north,south east west. WHO CARES WRESTLE AND QUIT COMPLAINING OR DO NOT SHOW UP PLAIN AND SIMPLE. ALWAYS REMEMBER IT IS FOR THE KIDS NOT THE PARENTS. GROW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TONY MILLER

Last edited by reddog2853; 02/08/13 03:01 AM.
Re: Salina Thread [Re: reddog2853] #213602 02/08/13 03:11 AM
JACD_Moison Offline
Tell us how old you are tony and where you're from - ask a kid if he likes losing - it's called competition, winning is fun! Always has been, always will be

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: Salina Thread [Re: JACD_Moison] #213612 02/08/13 04:29 AM
R
reddog2853 Offline
R
NO KID LIKES TO LOOSE JIMMY AND YES THAT IS COMPETITION, THAT IS HOW THEY GET BETTER LIKE I SAID CAN NOT WIN THEM ALL. WINNING IS FUN JIMMY AND YES YOU TEACH TO STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE BUT SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO LOOSE TO GET BETTER. JIMMY I JUST WANT TO KEEP THIS THREAD GOING CAUSE YOU SAID WE WOULD GET A 5 DOLLAR GIFT CARD TO MICKEY DEES. KEEP IN MIND IT IS NOT HOW MANY TIMES YOU GET KNOCKED DOWN IT IS HOW MANY TIMES YOU GET UP. I AM 40

Re: Salina Thread [Re: reddog2853] #213614 02/08/13 10:21 AM
Cokeley Offline
If your kids fall in love with winning and not wrestling they will not become champions. Teach them to wrestle to find ways to tap their potential and exploit their opponents. Teach your youngsters that not winning isn't losing but learning. When they don't get their hand raised a hug should be waiting for them and there will be a time to figure out what to do better or differently the next time.

A wrestling career is a marathon, not a sprint. Many of those at the back of the pack will pass those who quit, give up, or slow down. You will be surprised ten years from now those who will stand at the top of the podiums at the HS state tournaments. Give your kids the encouragement and support to finish the marathon.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Salina Thread [Re: reddog2853] #213618 02/08/13 11:54 AM
JACD_Moison Offline
I'll hitch a ride with you to the Kanorado MCD's when we reach our goal Tony:)

My 6 year old was 2-35 at the end of last season, this year he's winning more and actually excited to wrestle - that's progress
Originally Posted By: reddog2853
NO KID LIKES TO LOOSE JIMMY AND YES THAT IS COMPETITION, THAT IS HOW THEY GET BETTER LIKE I SAID CAN NOT WIN THEM ALL. WINNING IS FUN JIMMY AND YES YOU TEACH TO STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE BUT SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO LOOSE TO GET BETTER. JIMMY I JUST WANT TO KEEP THIS THREAD GOING CAUSE YOU SAID WE WOULD GET A 5 DOLLAR GIFT CARD TO MICKEY DEES. KEEP IN MIND IT IS NOT HOW MANY TIMES YOU GET KNOCKED DOWN IT IS HOW MANY TIMES YOU GET UP. I AM 40

Last edited by JACD_Moison; 02/08/13 11:55 AM.

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: Salina Thread [Re: JACD_Moison] #213623 02/08/13 12:57 PM
S
Stoudman Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Concessions on Tony Miller at the next Salina tournament. Meet him in the line at noon. I will buy the first round Friday night at the Rusty water Ramada. I want to have a beer with a grown up Mr. Miller, I hope you can attend.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: reddog2853] #213625 02/08/13 01:45 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Tony,
I as well have been reading this thread for awhile. I am not sure if you were at this tournament or not, but my biggest thing with the officials this year at the TOC was how unprofessional some of them were, and not willing to show professionalism toward coaches, but yet expected it back when the officials(not all of them)were displaying a threatening manner toward coaches. But one of the main concerns I had with the officials is the safety of the wrestlers, I seen numerous wrestlers get put on their back with illegal chicken wings or bar arms (running hands and arms over the top), as well as being thrown in neck wrenches from the feet. I understand that officials will make mistakes, as well as coaches will make mistakes, and say things they shouldn’t, but when it comes to the safety of young kids someone needs to say something. I would like to say the head official at the TOC remained very professional to us as we went to him with a few concerns.

Rich,
This is a great tournament, with great competition, We plan to come back, but please address the officiating issue to ensure safety for all of the wrestlers.

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Cokeley] #213633 02/08/13 02:23 PM
usawks1 Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
If your kids fall in love with winning and not wrestling they will not become champions. Teach them to wrestle to find ways to tap their potential and exploit their opponents. Teach your youngsters that not winning isn't losing but learning. When they don't get their hand raised a hug should be waiting for them and there will be a time to figure out what to do better or differently the next time.

A wrestling career is a marathon, not a sprint. Many of those at the back of the pack will pass those who quit, give up, or slow down. You will be surprised ten years from now those who will stand at the top of the podiums at the HS state tournaments. Give your kids the encouragement and support to finish the marathon.

This is no doubt one of the best posts ever by Mr. Cokeley!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Salina Thread [Re: usawks1] #213643 02/08/13 03:51 PM
H
Hilbillywrassler Offline
H
Excellent post Mr. Cokeley. Where is the town Kanorado? By Goodland?

Re: Salina Thread [Re: Hilbillywrassler] #213662 02/08/13 06:12 PM
H
HokaheyCoach Offline
H
Yes Cokeley, as my signature states .. There are no losers in wrestling, only winners and learners, but never did I mention there are no poor officials robbing a kid of a victory he knows he deserved. How is that a good thing??? What is that teaching them??? Work hard and do your best and you MIGHT get a fair shake.. not my son thank you.

Scott Walker

Re: Salina Thread [Re: HokaheyCoach] #213669 02/08/13 08:04 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: HokaheyCoach
Yes Cokeley, as my signature states .. There are no losers in wrestling, only winners and learners, but never did I mention there are no poor officials robbing a kid of a victory he knows he deserved. How is that a good thing??? What is that teaching them??? Work hard and do your best and you MIGHT get a fair shake.. not my son thank you.

Scott,

Wrestling is not unlike life. Not everything you will encounter will be fair and just. Unfortunately the distribution of officials is a bell curve. Of course that means those in the left tail will not be very good. Use wrestling to teach the lessons your son will surely encounter in life. Take the good with the bad. I am not saying we shouldn't work to improve things but certainly every wrestler has the opportunity to ensure that even the worst official would not be able to deny them of victory.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Salina Thread [Re: Cokeley] #213673 02/08/13 08:55 PM
H
HokaheyCoach Offline
H
Point taken and I mostly agree.. I think as they get older that lesson is easier to explain but at 8 or 9 it is a difficult pill to swallow.

My particular experience was with my 8u son who was up 2 in the semis and at the end of the 2nd period the other wrestler was awarded a take down which was blatantly wrong and my son knew it.(as well as the other coach) I was more upset with him for losing it and crying which ended up costing him the match in the 3rd as he couldn't breathe or focus. The lesson I tried to teach him was to allow us coaches to worry about the calls and for him to wrestle. At his age unfair is unfair!

Thank you for the feedback Will.

Scott Walker

Re: Salina Thread [Re: L.Geyer] #213676 02/08/13 09:17 PM
schroeder Offline
Since this thread has mentioned it a number of times...poor officiating..unprofessinalism..etc.(which I see and do agree), what aspects do you coaches, parents, and wrestlers (if need be) like to see in officials. I myself am an official and I am always asking coaches what they like about my stye of what I need to improve on. If you coaches or parents know of a "good offical" get the names out so they can be watched and emulated. I do try my best on evey single match..I feel wrestlers are expected to give 110% therefore snce I chose to be there and I am getting paid I should give even more. I have my phiilosophies I try to use and go by when I officiate. Beleieve me as a coach..I do my damnest to make sure the officail does thier job to their fullest. Please provide feedback on the officials on likes or dislikes. Looks like Bockman started a thread titled.."refs". or pm me..cause I want to provide the highest quality possible when I am on the mat for the wrestlers.

Thanks, ( & be gentle..lol)

Scott Schroeder

Re: Salina Thread [Re: schroeder] #213859 02/11/13 10:41 PM
H
HokaheyCoach Offline
H
Mr. Zimmerman,

Can you give us an idea of where you are at in your discussions with the Bi-C.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/bicentennial-center-changes-for-youth-wrestling.html

Scott Walker

Re: Salina Thread [Re: HokaheyCoach] #213861 02/11/13 11:50 PM
B
Bones1768 Offline
B
I seriously doubt that rich is going to get back on here to respond. It is their tournament and they will get to working on it when they are ready to.

Last edited by Bones1768; 02/12/13 12:58 AM.
Re: Salina Thread [Re: Bones1768] #213862 02/11/13 11:56 PM
B
Bones1768 Offline
B
Good luck this week. Hope all the tournaments run smooth.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 142 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)