Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy [Re: HokaheyCoach] #213819 02/11/13 12:53 PM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
Originally Posted By: HokaheyCoach

The 13 year old kid refereeing on mat 2 needs to be instructed on what Novice is... touch pins not allowed sir!

I was a table worker at mat 1 and 2 all day. Impressed with the 3 refs at our tables, keep up the good work guys.

Also, loved the big mat surfaces. Very few time outs and we were done by 2:30!

We had a little guy from East Kansas Wrestling Club come up to us before the tournament, very proud of his singlet. Then he informed us that he is also a "genius". This little guy ended up getting 2nd place....as a wrestling mom nearing the end of my son's wrestling career, I am mostly glad that wrestling will be ending after next year. But then you meet these little guys like above and it makes you wish for those times again!

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy [Re: wrestlingmom] #213829 02/11/13 03:29 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
I also want to thank St. James Academy for being a great wrestling supporter. They open their facility to the wrestling community for tournaments, practices and clinics so ALL kids who want to wrestle may benefit.

Lastly, I want to thank ALL of the volunteers who make these events happen. Hours and hours of preparation go into a tournament as well as many hours of clean up. I appreciate everyone who help make our tournaments a success.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy [Re: Cokeley] #213836 02/11/13 04:52 PM
S
shawnbudke Offline
S
Oh Miss Henes,

I don't think you are going to escape that easy. You have a whole bunch of "little" guys that look for you at these tournaments because of all the support you give. I know you will have to make a couple tournaments at least because I for one will have a little guy that will be looking for you!

Shawn

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy [Re: wrestlingmom] #213856 02/11/13 10:29 PM
H
HokaheyCoach Offline
H
Originally Posted By: wrestlingmom
Originally Posted By: HokaheyCoach

The 13 year old kid refereeing on mat 2 needs to be instructed on what Novice is... touch pins not allowed sir!

I was a table worker at mat 1 and 2 all day. Impressed with the 3 refs at our tables, keep up the good work guys.

Also, loved the big mat surfaces. Very few time outs and we were done by 2:30!

We had a little guy from East Kansas Wrestling Club come up to us before the tournament, very proud of his singlet. Then he informed us that he is also a "genius". This little guy ended up getting 2nd place....as a wrestling mom nearing the end of my son's wrestling career, I am mostly glad that wrestling will be ending after next year. But then you meet these little guys like above and it makes you wish for those times again!

I was simply stating that he was not educated on what constitutes a novice referee. Never seen him make a bad call... he just called way to many touch pins. Overall good day of officiating.. both days actually if you take Barry Manilow off mat 4 out of the mix on Saturday... someone needs to remind him to retire!!

Scott Walker

There are no losers in wrestling ...only winners & learners!
Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy [Re: HokaheyCoach] #213860 02/11/13 11:37 PM
R
ram Offline
R
Scott - You seem to have strong opinions on how tournaments should be ran, gym size, what you can and cannot bring in the doors, who should officiate and who shouldn't, levels of competition, what type of food is in the concession and hospitality, gym temperature, parking, mat size, brackets, medals, decibel levels inside the gym. I may have left a few things out. Your opinions have certainly been heard and seen on this forum.
I can't wait for the grandaddy of all tournaments next year in Lawrence. Funny, in six years of going to kids tournaments I've never been to one in Lawrence. Can't wait to see it on the calendar for next year.

Jerry Schmidt
Cougar Kids Club

Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy [Re: ram] #213883 02/12/13 04:44 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: ram
Scott - You seem to have strong opinions on how tournaments should be ran, gym size, what you can and cannot bring in the doors, who should officiate and who shouldn't, levels of competition, what type of food is in the concession and hospitality, gym temperature, parking, mat size, brackets, medals, decibel levels inside the gym. I may have left a few things out. Your opinions have certainly been heard and seen on this forum.
I can't wait for the grandaddy of all tournaments next year in Lawrence. Funny, in six years of going to kids tournaments I've never been to one in Lawrence. Can't wait to see it on the calendar for next year.

Jerry Schmidt
Cougar Kids Club

And Scott... I have a striped shirt, arm bands, and whistle you can use to officiate at this event as well. smile I wish I still had a kid who would benefit from wrestling in this tournament and getting every call made exactly right on your mat.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Tournaments - Feb 9 & 10 - St. James Academy [Re: ram] #213988 02/12/13 09:53 PM
H
HokaheyCoach Offline
H
Originally Posted By: ram

Jerry Schmidt
Cougar Kids Club

Jerry.. .I am just trying to catch up with Chief for total posts, although I am about 7800 away... Yes I have been very opinionated lately mainly due to the frustration I have with some clubs in Kansas. (my next major topic will be satelite weigh ins and the epidemic of skin funk around the state) BTW.. I am just a peasant coach with Lawrence in my first year so take it easy on me ... I am weak and vulnerable and have nothing to do with decision making.

Not sure that I have ever mentioned parking or decibel levels but I will keep an eye out for those areas to critique for you Jerry. About the official that needs to retire.. most everyone who attends a tournament who is not legally blind would agree with me.. heck .. I have even spoken to other officails who agree... He simply has to go. (He was the official on Mat 8 in Salina everyone was talking about too btw) Working on a website currently for ranking Kansas officials so that tournament directors have an idea of who they should or shouldn't have working their tournaments.. stay tuned!!

I believe the tourney you are so anxiously awaiting is being planned... due to the club size in the past it wasn't feasable and now that we are growing and are taking your brackets from you Jerry... it now is. Thank you caller smile

Scott Walker

There are no losers in wrestling ...only winners & learners!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 112 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,933
Posts250,364
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)