Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wrestling Dropped from 2020 Olympics #213896 02/12/13 12:59 PM
C
Chris Stivers Offline OP
OP Offline
C
IOC drops wrestling from 2020 Olympics

..LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — IOC leaders dropped wrestling from the Olympic program on Tuesday, a surprise decision that removes one of the oldest Olympic sports from the 2020 Games.

The IOC executive board decided to retain modern pentathlon — the event considered most at risk — and remove wrestling instead from its list of 25 "core sports."

The IOC board acted after reviewing the 26 sports on the current Olympic program. Eliminating one sport allows the International Olympic Committee to add a new sport to the program later this year.

Wrestling, which combines freestyle and Greco-Roman events, goes back to the inaugural modern Olympics in Athens in 1896.

"This is a process of renewing and renovating the program for the Olympics," IOC spokesman Mark Adams said. "In the view of the executive board, this was the best program for the Olympic Games in 2020. It's not a case of what's wrong with wrestling, it is what's right with the 25 core sports."

Adams said the decision was made by secret ballot over several rounds, with members voting each time on which sport should not be included in the core group. IOC President Jacques Rogge did not vote.

Wrestling was voted out from a final group that also included modern pentathlon, taekwondo and field hockey, officials familiar with the vote told The Associated Press. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the voting details were not made public.

The board voted after reviewing a report by the IOC program commission report that analyzed 39 criteria, including television ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy and global participation and popularity. With no official rankings or recommendations contained in the report, the final decision by the 15-member board was also subject to political, emotional and sentimental factors.

The international wrestling federation, known by the French acronym FILA, is headed by Raphael Martinetti and is based in Corsier-sur-Vevey, Switzerland. Calls to the federation for comment were not immediately returned.

Wrestling featured 344 athletes competing in 11 medal events in freestyle and seven in Greco-Roman at last year's London Olympics. Women's wrestling was added to the Olympics at the 2004 Athens Games.

Wrestling will now join seven other sports in applying for inclusion in 2020. The others are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu. They will be vying for a single opening in 2020.

The IOC executive board will meet in May in St. Petersburg, Russia, to decide which sport or sports to propose for 2020 inclusion. The final vote will be made at the IOC session, or general assembly, in September in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

It is extremely unlikely that wrestling would be voted back in so soon after being removed by the executive board.

"Today's decision is not final," Adams said. "The session is sovereign and the session will make the final decision."

The last sports removed from the Olympics were baseball and softball, voted out by the IOC in 2005 and off the program since the 2008 Beijing Games. Golf and rugby will be joining the program at the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Previously considered under the closest scrutiny was modern pentathlon, which has been on the Olympic program since the 1912 Stockholm Games. It was created by French baron Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern Olympic movement, and combines fencing, horse riding, swimming, running and shooting.

Klaus Schormann, president of governing body UIPM, lobbied hard to protect his sport's Olympic status and it paid off in the end.

"We have promised things and we have delivered," he said after Tuesday's decision. "That gives me a great feeling. It also gives me new energy to develop our sport further and never give up."

Modern pentathlon also benefited from the work of Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr., the son of the former IOC president who is a UIPM vice president and member of the IOC board.

"We were considered weak in some of the scores in the program commission report but strong in others," Samaranch told the AP. "We played our cards to the best of our ability and stressed the positives. Tradition is one of our strongest assets, but we are also a multi-sport discipline that produces very complete people."

Re: Wrestling Dropped from 2020 Olympics [Re: Chris Stivers] #213902 02/12/13 01:39 PM
DingusKahn Offline
Unacceptable!!! One of the original sports of the Olympics and probably the most disciplined sport in the world...thrown to the wayside!! Why not drop badmitton? Wake up IOC...I hope that we can all pray for these folks and maybe they will realize the number of lives they will be affecting with this decision!!

Integrity is doing the right thing even when nobody is looking!!

Chris Walters
Re: Wrestling Dropped from 2020 Olympics [Re: DingusKahn] #213904 02/12/13 01:42 PM
C
Chris Stivers Offline OP
OP Offline
C
They are going to have a nother vote in Russia on a sport to add. Go to http://www.olympic.org/ioc scroll to the bottom of the page and press the FAQ at the bottom of the pop up window it lets you ask a question. Everyone needs to ask the board to vote for it during the Russia meeting. I'm sure a potition will be started soon but until then this is one way we can let the IOC know how much wrestling is wanted.

Re: Wrestling Dropped from 2020 Olympics [Re: Chris Stivers] #213915 02/12/13 02:23 PM
JACD_Moison Offline
Pathetic, I guess most people would rather watch overpaid professional basketball players during an amateur venue. Notice how you had to set your alarm for 3:45AM on Sunday last year to get a glimpse of the freestyle matches that didn't even get the airtime that it should have? But, basketball was PRIMETIME! I remembered watching fencing in place of the GR matches wondering why... I hope the Russians and Americans petition this and or boycott the 2020 Olympics if this were to occur. The Russians will, but not the US, only a handful of Americans understand what is involved to be at the top at this sport. Kobe or Lebron can take a week off and still be at the top of their sport, but if a wrestler were to take a day off before the Olympic trials, he would be throwing his shoes to the crowd... Very sad

Jimmy Moison - Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
785-224-7349 - jimmy.moison@gmail.com
Re: Wrestling Dropped from 2020 Olympics [Re: JACD_Moison] #213929 02/12/13 03:48 PM
demon357 Offline
A couple of petitions and info on this page:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Save-Olympic-Wrestling/140684176096583

Re: Wrestling Dropped from 2020 Olympics [Re: demon357] #213938 02/12/13 04:39 PM
H
Hilbillywrassler Offline
H
Moison, I read where a lobbyist for another sport went over the top to save it at the expense of wrestling. We have to rise up and make t-shirts, bumper stickers, petitions and everything else to save our sport. A guy like you with a big wrestling background needs to step up and head the kansas effort. I assume you are part of the Moison wrestling family in South Dakota? John Moison was an animal out of Rapid City. He your kin?

Re: Wrestling Dropped from 2020 Olympics [Re: Hilbillywrassler] #213944 02/12/13 05:18 PM
Seaton Dynasty Offline
At every wrestling event the announcer should inform the public of what they can do to help save the sport we all love.

Ian Seaton
Re: Wrestling Dropped from 2020 Olympics [Re: Hilbillywrassler] #213962 02/12/13 06:26 PM
JACD_Moison Offline
We have to be related somehow, not many Moison's in the US - I agree 100% with what you say as well. I will be adding a link to the http://www.americacrownwrestling.com/ site to get it more noticed.
Originally Posted By: Hilbillywrassler
Moison, I read where a lobbyist for another sport went over the top to save it at the expense of wrestling. We have to rise up and make t-shirts, bumper stickers, petitions and everything else to save our sport. A guy like you with a big wrestling background needs to step up and head the kansas effort. I assume you are part of the Moison wrestling family in South Dakota? John Moison was an animal out of Rapid City. He your kin?

Re: Wrestling Dropped from 2020 Olympics [Re: Seaton Dynasty] #213963 02/12/13 06:26 PM
JACD_Moison Offline
Great idea Ian!
Originally Posted By: Seaton Dynasty
At every wrestling event the announcer should inform the public of what they can do to help save the sport we all love.

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 132 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,928
Posts250,350
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)