Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: L.Geyer] #214220 02/14/13 10:06 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Originally Posted By: L.Geyer
It was nice of you to para phrase my comments Jeremy. I said they are put on the front page as they are not married, but other church leaders are not subject to the media backlash due to them being married and not wanting to put marriages or children in the negative spot light.

I am glad I could help you understand my earlier post.

The outrage is not so much the acts these sick humans (priests) did. With a church this large your bound to attract some sick puppies. The outrage for many including me is the cover up and relocation of these sick puppies to other totally unaware parishes so that pedophiles can continue ruining lives. The outrage is with the bishops arch bishops and cardinals.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #214221 02/14/13 10:18 PM
K
Kevin Howell Offline
K
Wow, wouldn't be cool if there was a talk forum devoted to wrestling. Still I so enjoy this yearly ritual of my denomination is so much better than yours.
I for one cannot wait for the wrestling to begin and this nonsense to end.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Kevin Howell] #214222 02/14/13 10:23 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Kevin Howell
Wow, wouldn't be cool if there was a talk forum devoted to wrestling. Still I so enjoy this yearly ritual of my denomination is so much better than yours.

It would be an even better place if religious leaders would stay out of competitive sports to push their personal, religious agendas. It always gets ugly when you start mixing religion, politics and sports. I personally wish this topic would have waited to surface after the state tournament because at this point nothing is going to change. Lets wrestle this weekend and hopefully the right wrestlers will make it to state. Good luck to all. Not only in reaching your goals but in remaining healthy.

Last edited by Cokeley; 02/15/13 01:40 AM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #214224 02/14/13 10:26 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I agree these situations should have been handled better. Just as the situation in KC areas needs to be handled different so these wrestlers can compete.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: L.Geyer] #214225 02/14/13 10:44 PM
3HSWrestler Offline
The question was asked earlier if the wrestler has the choice to take the mat or not? Or is it going to pre-decided by the coach? If he does take the mat would he face expulsion from the school?

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: luellen] #214227 02/14/13 11:12 PM
D
Dean Welsh Offline
D
Originally Posted By: luellen
Originally Posted By: RJW1
Originally Posted By: PatrickCavanaugh
Where does it say in the bible or 10 commandments it is a sin for a boy compete in a sport against a girl.

Without getting into a huge religious debate. . . Let me explain that the Catholic Faith does not just base everything off the Bible. The Catholic Faith asserts that Catholic Church Traditions are equivalent to the Bible when building a platform of faith. In other words, something does not have to be in the Bible or 10 Commandments for it to be a staple of the Catholic Faith.
Thats precisely why Luther bailed

Bailed and the RAN FOR HIS LIFE!!!

D. Dean Welsh, Junction City
***Dean plays well with others!!! ;-)
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Dean Welsh] #214231 02/14/13 11:54 PM
T
tbau Offline
T
So what happens if these kids say screw it and wrestle anyyway, will they have to say 10 hail mary's as punishment. I would say wrestling a girl is less morally corrupting than being an alter boy, as least the girl wrestling wont get molested.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Dean Welsh] #214232 02/14/13 11:57 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Although the war in Iraq is over and the war in Afghanistan is winding down, the next war will likely have (more) women serving in combat roles. I hope that the soldiers to her left and right won't quit the fight because of their religious (or other personal) beliefs.

Lee Girard
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: ReDPloyd] #214233 02/15/13 12:01 AM
T
tbau Offline
T
from 2003-2009 the catholic church has had 9 major settlements for sexual abuse of minors involving 375 cases and 1551 victims which resulted in payments of $1.1 Billion. From 2004-2011 8 catholic dioceses have went bankrupt settling sex abuse cases.

I think boys and girls wrestling each other is the least of their problems.

Last edited by tbau; 02/15/13 12:01 AM.
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Peanut1234] #214239 02/15/13 12:12 AM
T
tking Offline
T
There are enough smart people in this situation to make sure all get to state. Yes there will be some matches that dont get wrestled but the rules can be followed and they all get to state.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Chief Renegade] #214241 02/15/13 01:03 AM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X

[/quote]
p.s. Nobody "plays" wrestling. [/quote]

Well, nobody that knows what they are talking about or who has wrestled a little.
That's rich Chief. That's the best comment so far on this thread.
It's funny as a coach when you get a new kid that really hasn't wrestled and they ask, "Coach, when do I play?". Of course we say, "we don't play in wrestling", or "you can play when you go home, we don't play here".

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: J. Dale] #214243 02/15/13 01:07 AM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Originally Posted By: J. Dale
Let me get this straight. You're supposed to trust your boy alone with a priest behind closed doors, but not with a girl on a wrestling mat? That's messed up.

Well, that one's close, but still behind the "we don't play".

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: L.Geyer] #214246 02/15/13 01:30 AM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Originally Posted By: L.Geyer
J.Dale,
I find this comment very rude, and somewhat insulting to the Catholic religion. I just had this conversation with someone the other day. Before someone goes, and makes statements about priest, being inappropriate maybe they need to check the facts. The Catholic faith is put on the front page with their few bad apples out there that did do these horrible things mainly because the priest can not be married. Statistics show there are just as many inappropriate things that go on with other faiths, with the pastors, priest, leaders of the church etc...., many of these are hidden, and never made public in order to save a marriage, or to not put children in the middle of it. I am not going to get into a religion war over this, but I find your comment very inappropriate.
And yes I have done the research about this topic.
Now back to what this forum is about WRESTLING.

I didn't really take it that way L. Geyer and I don't think I would be offended by that or a multitude of other comments that could be made, not even if I was Catholic. Inapropriate things happen in all professions and aspects of life, not just religion. For me it was more about not being able to trust a boy on the mat with a girl. That's what is ridiculous. Yea, don't trust them at home alone maybe, or on a date maybe, but on the mat? Seriously? The whole philosophy is ridiculous with all due respect to Catholics, which I have a lot of Catholic friends because my son wrestled in the Carroll Kids Club. Let them wrestle. I know if I were in a similar situation, my son would be wrestling and I don't believe we would be doing anything wrong. I would hope they wouldn't excommunicate me or something I guess. Now if there is some contract or pact that ones has to accept to go to some Catholic school that says you can't wrestle girls, I just wouldn't go. I can still go to the Catholic Church can't I? Maybe I would have to deconvert. My feeling would be that my son has spent years toiling and sacrificing for this moment, this opportunity, and there aint no way we are missing it now.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Jeremy Molloy] #214247 02/15/13 01:38 AM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Originally Posted By: Jeremy Molloy
The Catholic faith is put on the front page with their few bad apples out there that did do these horrible things mainly because the priest can not be married.

This wins the award for the dumbest comment ever on this forum.

I hear what you are saying Jeremy but the dumbest ever? Now that's a stretch. Maybe the dumbest on this thread, but certainly not the forum. We have all seen a lot of ridiculously dumb comments over the years on the forum haven't we. I know I have and I have seen a lot that make this comment pale. Dang, I bet even some of my comments were dumber than this. LOL though.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: XGHSWC] #214248 02/15/13 01:41 AM
Cokeley Offline
Here is the short end of the story.

Mill Valley draws into the bottom at 113. STA forfeits first and then SJA in the semis. She will go to state as a regional finalist. Maybe the first girl to make it to state in 5A??

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Kevin Howell] #214250 02/15/13 01:48 AM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Originally Posted By: Kevin Howell

Yes, that would be cool. No, really it's always cool isn't it, but I hear what you are saying.
Surely nobody was trying to say their denomination was better.
Yes, excited about regional and state. I hope that no good boys miss their opportunity because of religion. That would be sad.
And best wishes to Parker. I am anxious to see him able to go at 100% so hope he's there. Sure missed seeing the big matches at league. Parker is always so exciting to watch.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: 3HSWrestler] #214253 02/15/13 01:55 AM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Originally Posted By: 3HSWrestler
The question was asked earlier if the wrestler has the choice to take the mat or not? Or is it going to pre-decided by the coach? If he does take the mat would he face expulsion from the school?

My kid is wrestling for sure. And then we will face the consequences, even if it means expulsion.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Cokeley] #214254 02/15/13 01:58 AM
J
J. Storm Offline
J
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Here is the short end of the story.

Mill Valley draws into the bottom at 113. STA forfeits first and then SJA in the semis. She will go to state as a regional finalist. Maybe the first girl to make it to state in 5A??

Will, I think 2 girls went to state in 5A three years ago. I think one was from Topeka Highland and not sure where the other was from.

Jason Storm
Head Women's Coach Labette County High School
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: J. Storm] #214261 02/15/13 02:12 AM
T
tking Offline
T
XGHSWC.. (not sure where your son goes to school) there will be administrators that will not allow it to happen. Many more jobs will be on the line then just a coach or expulsion of a kid from school. This situation will cause all sorts of feelings. Private schools have rules set in place that our great sport cant change. Only thing is before someone goes to one specifically to compete in a sport they need to be told what could happen. If you know up front this could happen then it is on you. I personally have never believed girls should be wrestling boys at all but unfortunately I have lost that battle as both states I have coached in allowed it to happen. That is the only way this situation doesnt happen. Your not going to change the Catholics view on it. This is a perfect situation that proves it isnt healthy for our sport. Take up the equal sex rights somewhere else in the adult world and keep from hurting the innocents of youth. Is BS but is something that just needs to be thought of as keeping the hurt as little as possible.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: tking] #214264 02/15/13 02:16 AM
T
tking Offline
T
So did the the MV wrestler get drawn in to the bottom or was that a case scenerio Mr Cokeley? I was just hoping if she was on top the either STJ or STA would forfeit their first round match assuring both of them getting to state versus one of them being left at home which would be a shame.

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 205 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)