Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: tking] #214265 02/15/13 02:20 AM
T
tbau Offline
T
I have heard that this was all brought on by a complaint from an IMAC parent. Their kid lost to a girl from doniphan west and called the diocese and complained, that is why this is now being enforced, when it hasn't been all year.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: tking] #214266 02/15/13 02:20 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Will she be the first wrestler to go 0-1 at regionals and qualify for state?

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: tking] #214269 02/15/13 02:34 AM
X
XGHSWC Offline
X
Originally Posted By: tking
XGHSWC.. (not sure where your son goes to school) there will be administrators that will not allow it to happen. Many more jobs will be on the line then just a coach or expulsion of a kid from school. This situation will cause all sorts of feelings. Private schools have rules set in place that our great sport cant change. Only thing is before someone goes to one specifically to compete in a sport they need to be told what could happen. If you know up front this could happen then it is on you. I personally have never believed girls should be wrestling boys at all but unfortunately I have lost that battle as both states I have coached in allowed it to happen. That is the only way this situation doesnt happen. Your not going to change the Catholics view on it. This is a perfect situation that proves it isnt healthy for our sport. Take up the equal sex rights somewhere else in the adult world and keep from hurting the innocents of youth. Is BS but is something that just needs to be thought of as keeping the hurt as little as possible.

My son is in college. I was speaking hypothetically I guess. My son is wrestling no matter what. If the Catholic School tells me in advance this could happen and I can see I won't be able to do anything about it, then like I said, I am going somewhere else. If I am Catholic, can I still go to the Catholic Church if I don't go to the Catholic School? Or like I said, do I have to "deconvert". And I don't care about anyone elses feelings or "equal sex rights?" In this instance, I only care about my son's, and the fact that he has toiled and sacrificed for years to get to this point. And like I said, there aint no way he's missing his opportunity now because of some religous belief, with all due respect.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: XGHSWC] #214270 02/15/13 02:42 AM
T
tking Offline
T
Easy fix.. so everyone can have there own beliefs and feelings when it comes to christianity or what school they choose or choose not to go to. Girls do not wrestle boys. The state has girls wrestling or they dont wrestle. I promise if there was a vote taken it wouldnt even be a point to be considered. It just hurts our sport and no disrespect to the girls that are competing but I will always disagree with the girls competing against the boys.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: tking] #214271 02/15/13 03:00 AM
T
tking Offline
T
I was corrected by a friend about my earlier post. Something I forgot to add. There will be a 4 or 5 seeded kid who has to beat a 2 seed to qualify for state and will not make it to state because of a Catholic schools belief that they have to forfeit to a girl. This is a bad thing for the sport. A young man has worked all year and his bracket is blown to heck because of a belief. It is not the girls fault, it is not Mill Valleys fault. Under the rules it is the churches fault. I am a catholic and if the catholic schools dont believe in competing the same as everyone else they should not be allowed to compete. The truth hurts but follow the rules like everyone else or dont be allowed to compete. Again the State has failed the kids... This isnt about money, the church, egos, coaches, or parents. It is about the kids and they are the ones that get hurt while those who can do things correctly and not stepping up and doing what is right.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: tking] #214272 02/15/13 03:32 AM
RedStorm Offline
I won't be censoring this topic, because quite frankly, this forum is very boring right now. There is legitimate discussion taking place and I do not need to remove comments I disagree with or call people names that I disagree with, because then I would be no better than the worthless liberal media that consistently slanders those who disagree with their agenda.

Part of being Catholic is the inevitable crucifying coming from the ignorant and uneducated who assume that every priest is a child molester. These people (almost always anonymous, of course) love to find flaw and exploit those flaws because of either hatred or jealousy. The Church believed erroneously that it was too big to address a problem that exists in every culture and it has paid and will pay dearly, as it should for trying to make it go away. The sexual predator rate is far higher amongst teachers than it is for priests or other church ministers.

Being Catholic is not an easy choice. It requires a level of discipline and faith not found in many other Christian faiths and that is never more evident during Lent where self-sacrifice, penance and service are a daily commitment. It is rooted in a tradition traced back to the first disciples of Jesus Christ and has existed over a 2,000 year history; it has not been without flaw. The United State has been in existence for 1/10 as long as the Church and look at how radically this country has been transformed in that time. I will allow you to determine whether it has been for the better or worse.

Most people bail from the Church because they want to have their cake and eat it too. And why not they say, my relationship with Jesus is my own and no one should be able to tell me otherwise. Church is boring, they say, I would rather be entertained. Do I struggle with some of the doctrine of the Church, you bet, but I would I be better served by creating my own church that aligns better with my own personal beliefs, No. Part of the strength of the Church comes from the discourse within and the realization that we as a Church are all working towards the collective goal of strengthening our community, our family and our relationship with God and I commend the Church for not falling into the trap of relativism which is easy and popular to do.

All that being said, these decisions are made with the intention of preserving a relationship of respect between men and women. It seems like a battle that is ultimately not worth fighting by the Church and I am disappointed that the diocese has not put a little more thought into it. Do we know for certain that these matches will not be allowed to happen? Who has made the official decision? And what is the actually basis for the decision? If it was here, I would spend a week with the bishop debating the topic and not leave until I was completely educated on the matter. He knows I would do this too. So I guess we will see what happens, but at the end of the day, what is flawed with trying to to instill modesty and respect for women in our children?

If any of you are ever in Hays, look me up, I’ll take you to Mass with me so you can see that the place is not filled with molesters, hypocrites and thieves and I’ll answer any question you may have. Then I will take you to Gella’s for an IPA because, well that’s what Catholics do.

I know many of you love our liberal government, but nobody redistributes more wealth than the Catholic Church.

Regardless of your circumstance, good luck to all of the coaches this weekend. I am jealous of you all.

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: RedStorm] #214275 02/15/13 04:36 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Hey Bill, as a liberal who didn't say a thing bad about the catholic church, priests, you, the decision, or any other thing, and as a guy that went to Hays at one time, I thank you for slandering liberals to make whatever point it was that you were trying to make there. Not sure why it was necessary but if it made you feel better, then I feel better for you.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: tking] #214276 02/15/13 04:38 AM
J. Dale Offline
1.1 billion dollars ,375 cases and 1500 victims. That's what offends me. The money meaning more than people's lives.

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Westfahl] #214277 02/15/13 04:51 AM
RedStorm Offline
Originally Posted By: Westfahl
Hey Bill, as a liberal who didn't say a thing bad about the catholic church, priests, you, the decision, or any other thing, and as a guy that went to Hays at one time, I thank you for slandering liberals to make whatever point it was that you were trying to make there. Not sure why it was necessary but if it made you feel better, then I feel better for you.

I didn't slander liberals at all. You realize I am a KU grad. The media is liberal and so is our government, those are facts. I used the term liberal as an adjective. The Church being neither, makes it a popular target as witnessed on this topic where the discussion is on a rule regarding wrestling girls and people took that opening to take pop shots in areas completely unrelated. So I gave my opinion, plus posed a few questions related back to the original topic. What's the problem?

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: tking] #214278 02/15/13 05:00 AM
3HSWrestler Offline
The funny thing about saying "no disrespect", is that you inevitability do. Do you have a daughter? If so, if she told her daddy that she wanted to wrestle, would you forbid her? What kind of a lesson is that? I have been around this sport for 35 years as a wrestler, coach and now as a father of wrestlers and my philosophy has always been to treat my opponent across from me with the same RESPECT whether they were male, female, black or white. They get the same intensity, the same crossface...because that's what they deserve when they decide to step on the mat! These boys and girls that wrestle spend all season working, sweating and sacrificing for that respect. To take that away is an utter travesty. I have a daughter that will be a freshman next year that loves watching her brothers wrestle. Will she want to wrestle? Probably not. But if she does, I will support her because as of now she has the right to compete with the boys...and that's my job as a father...support my children. XGHSWC...I respect your son's decision, as I would any others, and would stand beside you arguing your case if need be. Anyway, I apologize for the long-winded post and I wish the best of luck to ALL wrestlers strappin it on this weekend. I myself, will be paying close attention to the 6a 170 bracket @ BVNW.

Keith Heniss

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: 3HSWrestler] #214279 02/15/13 05:15 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Bill the point that I was trying to make with sarcasm is that it might be difficult to take seriously, your indignation over these generalizations made about the catholic church, when you seem to have no problem at all making them about political beliefs or the ideology of a particular school (KU). Hard to have your cake and eat it too.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Westfahl] #214280 02/15/13 05:41 AM
RedStorm Offline
I was not being sarcastic. The media, the adminstration and my beloved KU are liberal. The Catholic Church is not. These are facts.

Bill DeWitt
Wrestling Fan
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: RedStorm] #214281 02/15/13 06:23 AM
W
Westfahl Offline
W
Bill, I will let you do all the labeling here. I have no idea what any KU administrators political beliefs are any more than I know or believe that all catholics have the same beliefs as you do. I am certain that there are many in the "media" that are on both sides of the political isle. I was the one being sarcastic. I was trying to illustrate that bias and generalizations are just as repugnant no matter which side of the political or religious spectrum you pride yourself on. Evidently I did not do a good enough job of conveying that point.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Chief Renegade] #214284 02/15/13 11:09 AM
S
Scooter Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Chief Renegade

there have been a lot of wrestlers who have been 0-2 and qualified for state. And yes there have been 3 man brackets where someone was 0-1 and qualified for state. If she does lose and has a forfeit, it is my understanding she would actually be 1-1. If SJA/STA are seeded 2/3, potentially the boy will be the person with the 0-1 record and qualify for state.

Also, there may only be 4 people in the bracket.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Scooter] #214287 02/15/13 11:45 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Scooter

there have been a lot of wrestlers who have been 0-2 and qualified for state. And yes there have been 3 man brackets where someone was 0-1 and qualified for state. If she does lose and has a forfeit, it is my understanding she would actually be 1-1. If SJA/STA are seeded 2/3, potentially the boy will be the person with the 0-1 record and qualify for state.

There are six in the bracket. By random draw the MV wrestler matches up against the 2 seed. The 2 seed will FF and then the 3 seed who had a bye to the semis will FF and that puts the MV wrestler in the finals. Both the 2 and 3 seed will have to win a match, on the mat, to qualify for state. It is funny that it is ok to score team points for a FF of this nature but not for the 3 seed who really matched up against either Miege's or BVSW's inability to fill their roster which is really a forfeit. You can go back to that thread where a few old schoolers were appalled that I take the stance that matching up against and open should AUTOMATICALLY earn your team points not after you win a match on the mat. The 3 seed will be robbed of 4 team points when he forfeits the semis. This is an antequated, out dated mindset. Fill your rosters or suffer the consequences of giving up points to those teams who do!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Scooter] #214293 02/15/13 02:16 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Scooter

Should have clarified my question.

Will she be the first wrestler in a 6 "person" bracket to go 0-1 and qualify for state?

Eric Johnson

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Chief Renegade] #214294 02/15/13 02:33 PM
Beeson Offline
She will be 1-1 at worst.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Chief Renegade] #214295 02/15/13 02:34 PM
P
Peanut1234 Offline
P
gee it appears that seeing in the furture is also one of Chiefs talents. no one has stepped on the mat and he has a wrestler already losing.

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Beeson] #214296 02/15/13 02:51 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Beeson
She will be 1-1 at worst.

She will receive 2 Forfeits to the finals. Where is the victory?

Eric Johnson

Re: Catholic Boy Wrestlers may have to forfeit... [Re: Peanut1234] #214297 02/15/13 02:53 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: Peanut1234
gee it appears that seeing in the furture is also one of Chiefs talents. no one has stepped on the mat and he has a wrestler already losing.

Thank you.

Eric Johnson

Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dylan Hitchcock), 169 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)