Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Chief Renegade] #217028 03/13/13 01:23 AM
C
Chief Renegade Offline
C
Enjoyed the talk you guys. I'm just killing time till Denver!

Carry on...

Eric Johnson

Acts 4:12

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: shawnbudke] #217029 03/13/13 01:33 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: shawnbudke
Why don't we all be honest about what is really going on here...

There are a group of folks that want the kids season to end earlier and they want to work towards some form of a high school aged Grand State.

You can't get there from here if high schoolers are involved in the kids state series. So the first step was eliminate the 16U division and create a high school division.
The second step was to create a USAWKS sanctioned 6U state.

The following steps have yet to come to fruition. If we can create a bylaw to not allow hs wrestlers to wrestle 14U then it becomes easier to create a separate kids state series that could include the 6U but not high schoolers.
After that it becomes easier to create a USAWKS sponsored grand state for high schoolers a week or so after high school states.

Will if I missed anything please fill in the mistakes.
I only bring this up becauseI can't believe that a few of the people I know and respect feel so strong and react so emotionally to this 14U/HS debate. Also, I find it pretty offensive when I hear these folks making blanket statements about kid ducking competition and running.

I do agree with Beeson.....I don't think this will pass if it is brought to the state body....AGAIN!
Shawn Budke

BINGO....EXACTLY....and not just because you agree with Beeson. smile

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Chief Renegade] #217030 03/13/13 01:43 AM
S
shawnbudke Offline
S
Chief
You are right....Juniors can't wrestle in the Cadet division. However, a lot of Cadets can wrestle in the Junior division. All the have to do is be born in 1997 or 1998 and be in high school. Just like the high school freshman that meet the 14U age requirements in KS.
You twisted words again.

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: shawnbudke] #217033 03/13/13 01:56 AM
M
MAKI Offline
M
The easy solution to get 14 yr old HS kids out of the kids series is to change the age divisions to grades.
Kindergarten and Under (6U)
1st - 2nd grade (8U)
3rd - 4th grade (10U)
5th - 6th grade (12U)
7th - 8th grade (14U)
9th - 12th (HS)
Problem solved.

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: MAKI] #217034 03/13/13 02:00 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: MAKI
The easy solution to get 14 yr old HS kids out of the kids series is to change the age divisions to grades.
1st - 2nd grade (8U)
3rd - 4th grade (10U)
5th - 6th grade (12U)
7th - 8th grade (14U)
9th - 12th (HS)
Problem solved.

Sounds good, but what about red-shirted kids, 15 year old that is an 8th grader, where would he fall? The 7th and 8th grade division? The way it is now, this would be High School no questions asked. This plan would cause more problems.

I don't see a problem that needs to be solved.

Last edited by Beeson; 03/13/13 02:04 AM.

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Beeson] #217035 03/13/13 02:07 AM
M
MAKI Offline
M
Age doesn't matter. It's grade only. Just like some on this forum they could be in the same division for 3 or 4 yrs. 😀

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: MAKI] #217040 03/13/13 06:24 AM
Cokeley Offline
FACTS:

1. All 9th graders in KS are NOW HS wrestlers.
2. HS wrestlers are coached by a professional coaching staff.
3. HS wrestlers practice 4 to 6 times per week starting the second week in November.
4. HS wrestlers compete against HS wrestlers which range in age from 14 to 19 years of age from the first week in December through the last week in February.
5. HS wrestlers have the opportunity to compete for a KSHSAA state championship in either 321a, 4a, 5a or 6a.
6. HS wrestlers do NOT compete against MS wrestlers.
7. No 8th grader in Kansas has all of these opportunities.
8. No other state offers a USA sanctioned Folkstyle state tournament allowing HS wrestlers to compete against wrestlers in Kids wrestling (many due to the fact that kids season is ended before HS has finished.)
9. The USA Wrestling date of birth cutoff is ALWAYS January 1 for ALL USA National events. There is NEVER a case where a Cadet is allowed to wrestle down in the Schoolboy division in ANY style.

You tell me where any of these FACTS add up to it being okay for a high school freshman to compete against 7th and 8th graders for a KIDS state title?

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Beeson] #217041 03/13/13 06:27 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Originally Posted By: MAKI
1st - 2nd grade (8U)
3rd - 4th grade (10U)
5th - 6th grade (12U)
7th - 8th grade (14U)
9th - 12th (HS)
Problem solved.

Sounds good, but what about red-shirted kids, 15 year old that is an 8th grader, where would he fall? The 7th and 8th grade division? The way it is now, this would be High School no questions asked. This plan would cause more problems.

I don't see a problem that needs to be solved.

The 15 year old red shirt would have to wrestle HS. Really, change the dob to January 1. Use the USA wrestling age groups and rules and get away from this modified crap.

In the solution above it would be easy though, you tell the 15 year old he has to wrestle in the HS division. They are the EXCEPTIONS and our rules are aimed at the majority.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: shawnbudke] #217042 03/13/13 06:36 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: shawnbudke
Why don't we all be honest about what is really going on here...

There are a group of folks that want the kids season to end earlier and they want to work towards some form of a high school aged Grand State. THAT WAS NEVER A GOAL. HS WAS ADDED TO ALLOW MORE HS KIDS AN OPPORTUNITY TO EXTEND THEIR SEASON. THE STATE PLACERS WERE NEVER EXPECTED TO FLOCK TO THE SERIES.
You can't get there from here if high schoolers are involved in the kids state series. So the first step was eliminate the 16U division and create a high school division. THIS WAS DONE BECAUSE WE SIMPLY DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH ROOM TO ADD AN AGE GROUP. ALSO, THE NUMBERS WERE PITIFUL FOR 16U. WE DON'T EVEN NEED TO HAVE SUBS FOR HS BECAUSE THE NUMBERS ARE LOW AND THEY ARE THE LEADING AGE GROUP FOR SCRATCHES AT SUBS.

The second step was to create a USAWKS sanctioned 6U state. IT WAS TESTED SUCCESSFULLY THIS YEAR. WE LIKE KEEPING THEM ALONE BUT THE LOGICAL STEP WOULD BE TO ADD 8U AND 10U AND HAVE THAT AS A THREE WEEKEND SERIES THAT ENDS THE SAME WEEKEND AS HS STATE. THIS GIVES THESE GROUPS TIME TO ENJOY SPRING BREAK, DO OTHER SPORTS, OR CONTINUE IN THE NATIONAL EVENTS IF THEY SO DESIRE. WE ONLY ATTRACT ABOUT 45% OF OUR CARD BUYERS TO THE STATE SERIES AND WE NEED THIS PERCENTAGE TO BE HIGHER.

The following steps have yet to come to fruition. If we can create a bylaw to not allow hs wrestlers to wrestle 14U then it becomes easier to create a separate kids state series that could include the 6U but not high schoolers.
After that it becomes easier to create a USAWKS sponsored grand state for high schoolers a week or so after high school states.

THAT SEEMS TO MAKE SENSE BUT THE REAL ARGUMENT IS THAT THE MAJORITY OF 7TH AND 8TH GRADERS ARE NOT PREPARED TO WRESTLE HS WRESTLERS YET AND THE HS WRESTLERS HAVE A STATE TOURNAMENT ALREADY. SO IF YOU WANT TO ARGUE THAT SO DO THE MS WRESTLERS THEN WE COULD DO THIS. 6U, 8U, 10U, MS AND HS. CALL IT GOOD.

Will if I missed anything please fill in the mistakes.
I only bring this up becauseI can't believe that a few of the people I know and respect feel so strong and react so emotionally to this 14U/HS debate. Also, I find it pretty offensive when I hear these folks making blanket statements about kid ducking competition and running. IF YOU ARE A HS WRESTLER AND YOU CHOOSE 14U ARE YOU DOING IT BECAUSE IT IS MORE CHALLENGING? GIVE ME A BREAK SHAWN. THERE IS ONLY ONE REASON, TO HAVE AN ADVANTAGE.

I do agree with Beeson.....I don't think this will pass if it is brought to the state body....AGAIN! EVENTUALLY IT WILL. CHANGE IS A SLOW PROCESS. MOST CAN BE EDUCATED AND THOSE WHO CAN'T WILL FALL BEHIND.
Shawn Budke

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Maize Wrestling] #217043 03/13/13 06:42 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Maize Wrestling
Originally Posted By: Cokeley

Wake up! There is NO DEBATE here. The question is do you want develop wrestlers or do you want to discourage our KIDS. The Zach Campbells and Chad Beesons of this topic need to agree that is what is happening even if they don't agree with the rule. At least that way they can admit they are not willing to change to improve. .

Will,

Your right there is no debate. It was voted on and your position did not pass!

What are you arguing for? In one post you want the HS Elite to take a break in another you say they aren't getting better by wrestling 14 and Under. How would they get better by taking a break. Did every kid that was successful in the past follow your plan?

Those that want to wrestle HS can, those that want to get better can, those that do not want to getter better can chose not to! Remember this is a free country!

I am against anyone being punished for their success! I am all for change to make the sport better. I do not feel that making rules that limit what one can and cannot due based on their success or failure make anyone better!

Last but not least I have the choice to not agree with you!

Zach Campbell

I didn't recommend the elite take a break.

7th and 8th graders should not be punished for their inability to have four months of HS practice and competition with a professional coaching staff. 8th graders don't have an opportunity to compete for a HS state championship. This is if for them. Honestly, this is going to seem harsh but your comment that I am trying to punish wrestlers because of their success is about the dumbest comment I have seen on this forum. Sorry, just calling it like I see it. They get two shots at winning a state title in Folkstyle and way better preparation. We are punishing the 7th and 8th graders by letting the HS kids move DOWN to wrestle them. I understand your interpretation but the rule to eliminate state placers was a compromise. I don't feel that ANY HS wrestlers should be allowed to wrestle 14U.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Cokeley] #217047 03/13/13 10:08 AM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Maize Wrestling

Wake up! There is NO DEBATE here. The question is do you want develop wrestlers or do you want to discourage our KIDS. The Zach Campbells and Chad Beesons of this topic need to agree that is what is happening even if they don't agree with the rule. At least that way they can admit they are not willing to change to improve. .

Will,

Your right there is no debate. It was voted on and your position did not pass!

What are you arguing for? In one post you want the HS Elite to take a break in another you say they aren't getting better by wrestling 14 and Under. How would they get better by taking a break. Did every kid that was successful in the past follow your plan?

Those that want to wrestle HS can, those that want to get better can, those that do not want to getter better can chose not to! Remember this is a free country!

I am against anyone being punished for their success! I am all for change to make the sport better. I do not feel that making rules that limit what one can and cannot due based on their success or failure make anyone better!

Last but not least I have the choice to not agree with you!

Zach Campbell

I didn't recommend the elite take a break.

7th and 8th graders should not be punished for their inability to have four months of HS practice and competition with a professional coaching staff. 8th graders don't have an opportunity to compete for a HS state championship. This is if for them. Honestly, this is going to seem harsh but your comment that I am trying to punish wrestlers because of their success is about the dumbest comment I have seen on this forum. Sorry, just calling it like I see it. They get two shots at winning a state title in Folkstyle and way better preparation. We are punishing the 7th and 8th graders by letting the HS kids move DOWN to wrestle them. I understand your interpretation but the rule to eliminate state placers was a compromise. I don't feel that ANY HS wrestlers should be allowed to wrestle 14U.

I see it as opportunity not punishment. The freshmen have wrestled better competition all year and gotten better, let the 8th graders do the same for three weeks. One year of wrestling 14U is not going to make or break any careers. Most High School Freshman wrestled 14U, that's all they had, and they all turned out fine.

One quick question for Chief, and I have not researched this, but....Doesn't Oklahoma have a 15U Division? This would put Freshmen and Sophomores against 7th and 8th graders. This would now bring the count to 2 states that allow this to happen. With a little research we may find more.

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Beeson] #217050 03/13/13 10:40 AM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Texas is odd years of age 7,9,11,13,15 so that would mean a 15U freshmen or possibly a sophmore would be wrestling a 8th grader depending on the birthdate but very probable.

Texas isn't probably considered a powerhouse but it does narrow the list to no one to at least 2 now.

Last edited by Teamroper; 03/13/13 10:41 AM.

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Teamroper] #217051 03/13/13 10:46 AM
Cokeley Offline
Both of these examples won't help you out Tracy. They have their state tournaments while HS is still wrestling. You won't find wrestlers

Sent from my iPhone in both. Sorry. Some of the 7th and 8th will be subject to elimination from encountering a HS wrestler therefore not getting three more weeks.

Last edited by Cokeley; 03/13/13 10:49 AM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Cokeley] #217053 03/13/13 11:22 AM
Beeson Offline
Both State Tournaments may be going on, but those who got beat out or were not on varsity will still be wrestling in the Kids State Tournaments.

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Beeson] #217057 03/13/13 12:15 PM
Cokeley Offline
Both State Tournaments may be going on, but those who got beat out or were not on varsity will still be wrestling in the Kids State Tournaments.

Show us the data. Names and teams. I don't think you are correct.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: elid2] #217059 03/13/13 12:24 PM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
I am one for letting the kids/coaches/families choose if they want to wrestle either 14u or HS. But if we are going to regulate which one they can wrestle. I feel it needs to be clear cut, Not saying if you placed in HS you have to wrestle HS. It is called HS division for a reason if you are in HS you wrestle that division. If you are not you wresle 14U. I have enjoyed seeing this division go from 16U to HS, we have had some juniors and seniors over the years do well at kids state, and they have beat some good kids, in return this has helped them get some notice from some small colleges that may still be trying to fill some spots.

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: L.Geyer] #217060 03/13/13 12:35 PM
H
haskins6 Offline
H
Insted of trying to Chang what the majority of the people like why not have your own grand state you could invite the top 8 from all the classes and have 32 man brackets. I think you should go for it we mite be intrested next year

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Cokeley] #217061 03/13/13 12:47 PM
T
Teamroper Offline
T
Both of these examples won't help you out Tracy. They have their state tournaments while HS is still wrestling. You won't find wrestlers

Sent from my iPhone in both. Sorry. Some of the 7th and 8th will be subject to elimination from encountering a HS wrestler therefore not getting three more weeks.

That makes sense.

I guess my main problem is with "placer" I can see 1st and 2nd maybe even 3rd and 4th. But when you get down to 5/6th how much higher of level are they than the kids they beat to get into the medal round. (asuming they are a freshmen) What are those matches 50/50 sometimes? So we have a kids that could be just as good as the 5th and 6th place kids that could wrestle 14U under the proposed rule.

Why stop at 6th place, if you make it to HS state you have to wrestle HS in kids?

Tracy Peterson
Buhler, KS
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Cokeley] #217064 03/13/13 01:04 PM
Beeson Offline

Show us the data. Names and teams. I don't think you are correct.

I personally have not looked anything up yet. BUT...I received 3 text messages saying I was correct and that these people found 15U Oklahoma State Champions on High School Rosters. Shouldn't be too hard to verify, I just don't have time right now.

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Beeson] #217069 03/13/13 01:41 PM
G
GOBIGRED Offline
G
FACT-unfortunately NOT ALL highschool kids are coached by professional coaches 5 days a week....some highschool programs simply are coached by a teacher with very little wrestling experience at all! I for one would take my sons former kids club coaches over the current wrestling coach any day!

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 150 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)