Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Beeson] #217134 03/14/13 01:41 AM
Hossus Offline
Mike,

Certainly sounds like a step forward for PA. Agree with Beeson though, we are way to disorganized to do that. Would def be an advantage to setting up those travelling teams for duals and add some legitimacy to actually wrestling on MS Teams.

Fortune assists the daring.
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Beeson] #217135 03/14/13 01:44 AM
bubbasmom77 Offline
I completely understand it is horrible for 8th graders to wrestle freshmen. You dont have that problem in high school. Oh crap wait my freshmen or sophmore could wrestle a senior? Oh thats it im petitioning right now for state tournament, dual matches, weekend tournaments and tulsa nationals go by grade only freshmen vs freshmen. Its the only fair way to do it

Mike pirl

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: JamyD] #217136 03/14/13 01:49 AM
T
teamphelps Offline
T
Why is this such a big deal? 8 is 8 14 is 14! your age is your age deal with it and just wrestle!

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: teamphelps] #217141 03/14/13 02:56 AM
T
tryingtobesilent Offline
T
2011 kids state 14u 135# 8th gr placed 2nd,140# 8th gr placed second,145# 8th gr placed 1st ,150# 8th gr placed 2nd,155# 8th gr placec 2nd. Thats just the kids i know of with out research. I guess im just wondering where all this highschool advantange went this particular year. All these wrestlers went on to win kids state as highschool freshman in 2012.

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: bubbasmom77] #217142 03/14/13 05:09 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: bubbasmom77
Just an fyi on some interesting happenings elsewhere. Pa is eliminating the 14 under division from kids state. As of next year they will hold a junior high state championship on its own at the conclusion of the junior high season. It will be run just like the high school state tournament. This is believed to make a true state tournament for the junior hidgh kids. Freshman will have the option of wrestling highschool or junior high. The kids state tournament will be a stand alone tournament for 8under 10 under and 12 under only no junior high wrestlers allowed to compete

Mike pirl

I suggested this about 20 posts before. Except in Ks ALL fr are now in HS. There would be no need to give an option. In fact, fr are not allowed to compete in the Ms national duals so they should be completely excluded. You could create a cadet and junior divisions instead of just HS. Suggested this several times as well. One thing is certain. Without change there can be no improvement and Kansas needs to improve.

Last edited by Cokeley; 03/14/13 05:46 AM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Cokeley] #217143 03/14/13 10:06 AM
Beeson Offline
Just totally overlook the Facts that were presented concerning John Smith. Totally overlook the Facts presented by bradbee. Totally overlook the Facts presented by tryingtobesilent. Totally overlook the common sense comment by teamphelps. I am assuming you are overlooking these comments and facts because they can not be disputed and make your proposal look silly. It is easy to argue and debate emotions, "it's unfair" and "boo hoo". Not as easy to debate facts.

Your right Cokeley, Kansas wrestling is in the toilet right now because we can not force five kids to wrestle up an age group. And you might want to check your own backyard before you start trying to clean up anybody elses.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Beeson] #217145 03/14/13 11:25 AM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: Beeson
Just totally overlook the Facts that were presented concerning John Smith. Totally overlook the Facts presented by bradbee. Totally overlook the Facts presented by tryingtobesilent. Totally overlook the common sense comment by teamphelps. I am assuming you are overlooking these comments and facts because they can not be disputed and make your proposal look silly. It is easy to argue and debate emotions, "it's unfair" and "boo hoo". Not as easy to debate facts.

Your right Cokeley, Kansas wrestling is in the toilet right now because we can not force five kids to wrestle up an age group. And you might want to check your own backyard before you start trying to clean up anybody elses.

Those are NOT USA wrestling events you have sited in your case Chad. Sorry... smile Those are OSHSA events. By the way, my backyard is clean. He is NOT wrestling. HS kids CANNOT wrestle in the Middle School National Duals so if we are to have a USA Official Middle School class HS kids would have to wrestle HS. I would tell John to his face that I think it is stupid for a HS State Champion to wrestle in the MS state tournament. John himself has stated that OK wrestling has been on rapid decline for the past five years. Maybe this is why?

Hopefully the reason there are only a few stragglers left in 14U that wrestled HS is due to the shame they should feel for doing so. If there are only a few left then lets clean it up!

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Cokeley] #217147 03/14/13 11:46 AM
B
bradbee Offline
B
Will,

I believe what Beeson meant by look in your own backyard... the highest placed kid at HS state that is also wrestling in 14U kids series is from your team at St. James.

Also why are we so down on Kansas wrestling? Aren't there several Kids from Kansas wrestling in the NCAA Divison 1 Championships? Haven't we had several win or place well in other college divisions this year?

By the way the numbers say most of the HS placers are being run out of the Kids series not moving them up.... Is this the goal? To shame kids from participating in the Kids series? Over half of all 9th graders that placed at HS state are sitting this year out of the kids series....

Last edited by bradbee; 03/14/13 01:06 PM.
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: bradbee] #217150 03/14/13 12:25 PM
H
haskins6 Offline
H
NO SHAME HERE PALL!!!

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: bradbee] #217157 03/14/13 12:42 PM
D
D.W. Offline
D
Freshman placers not even wrestling kids is a shame, but maybe even sadder is the number of other HS state placers that arent wrestling kids. Lack of stones, spring break obligations, 5 weeks into baseball season, who knows why? Maybe the parents are just tired of the food Nazis.

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: haskins6] #217160 03/14/13 12:53 PM
D
D.W. Offline
D
And while we are on the subject, which brings more shame to the wrestling community....

A. 14 year old (that was good enough to place at HS state) wrestling a 14, or maybe a 13 year old in the USAWKS state series.

B. 14 year old sitting at home watching tv, eating pop-tarts, and enjoying some Face Book time.

C. A kid taking a redshirt year before they reach HS. =)

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: D.W.] #217161 03/14/13 12:59 PM
D
D.W. Offline
D
Now I'll go back into my hole intil we start on the annual private/public school "debate".

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: D.W.] #217162 03/14/13 01:05 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: D.W.
And while we are on the subject, which brings more shame to the wrestling community....

A. 14 year old (that was good enough to place at HS state) wrestling a 14, or maybe a 13 year old in the USAWKS state series.

B. 14 year old sitting at home watching tv, eating pop-tarts, and enjoying some Face Book time.

C. A kid taking a redshirt year before they reach HS. =)

In order of severity: C, B, A. B is hurting the sport more than anything, and C is just wrong.

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: D.W.] #217163 03/14/13 01:24 PM
S
shawnbudke Offline
S
Will I understand your perspective but I do not see how this bylaw change will improve Kansas wrestling. You have shown no linkage or evidence as to how freshman wrestling in 14U makes Kansas worse in wrestling.

The argument that other states don't do it doesn't fly. There are too many other reasons that contribute to why some states are better than KS and why KS is better than a lot of other state.

Your quote: One thing is certain. Without change there can be no improvement and Kansas needs to improve.

In general terms you correct....without change there can be no improvement. The trick is showing how a change will cause improvement. You have not done that with the case of 5 high school wrestlers wrestling in the 14U kids state. Heck, I would argue it helps us improve. The 8th graders that they have to wrestle know that they have to spend their season prepping to wrestle high school kids potentially. I know it motivated a lot of our 8th graders to put in extra work.

"Kansas needs improvement"- Really, based on what? What kind of improvement? Define the end state you see or the conditions of wrestling in KS that would cause you, Chief, etc to say....Man, we made it. As a state we have achieved our goal.

If there is no goal, end state, or vision set forth then it is impossible to establish programs and define success of those programs.

So far all I see is that we must suck because we let 5-15 freshman wrestle for 3 weeks in the 14U kids state series. If we change this bylaw then KS wrestling will be improved and successful. I absolutely do not see the linkage to this and being successful as a state.

Shawn Budke

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: bradbee] #217165 03/14/13 02:15 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: bradbee
Will,

I believe what Beeson meant by look in your own backyard... the highest placed kid at HS state that is also wrestling in 14U kids series is from your team at St. James. HE IS NOT WRESTLING.

Also why are we so down on Kansas wrestling? Aren't there several Kids from Kansas wrestling in the NCAA Divison 1 Championships? Haven't we had several win or place well in other college divisions this year? Since 2010 we are in a severe downward spiral when it comes to national level wrestlers.

By the way the numbers say most of the HS placers are being run out of the Kids series not moving them up.... Is this the goal? To shame kids from participating in the Kids series? Over half of all 9th graders that placed at HS state are sitting this year out of the kids series....
MANY OF THE BEST WRESTLERS ARE IN COLORADO COMPETING THIS WEEKEND. THREE WEEKS FOR THE STATE SERIES IS ABSURDLY LONG FOR MOST OF THE HS WRESTLERS. ELIMINATE SUBS AND MAYBE EVEN DISTRICTS..

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Cokeley] #217166 03/14/13 02:18 PM
Beeson Offline
For what reason...they shouldn't be wrestling kids remember.

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: shawnbudke] #217167 03/14/13 02:24 PM
Cokeley Offline
Originally Posted By: shawnbudke
Will I understand your perspective but I do not see how this bylaw change will improve Kansas wrestling. You have shown no linkage or evidence as to how freshman wrestling in 14U makes Kansas worse in wrestling.

The argument that other states don't do it doesn't fly. There are too many other reasons that contribute to why some states are better than KS and why KS is better than a lot of other state.

Your quote: One thing is certain. Without change there can be no improvement and Kansas needs to improve.

In general terms you correct....without change there can be no improvement. The trick is showing how a change will cause improvement. You have not done that with the case of 5 high school wrestlers wrestling in the 14U kids state. Heck, I would argue it helps us improve. The 8th graders that they have to wrestle know that they have to spend their season prepping to wrestle high school kids potentially. I know it motivated a lot of our 8th graders to put in extra work.

"Kansas needs improvement"- Really, based on what? What kind of improvement? Define the end state you see or the conditions of wrestling in KS that would cause you, Chief, etc to say....Man, we made it. As a state we have achieved our goal.

If there is no goal, end state, or vision set forth then it is impossible to establish programs and define success of those programs.

So far all I see is that we must suck because we let 5-15 freshman wrestle for 3 weeks in the 14U kids state series. If we change this bylaw then KS wrestling will be improved and successful. I absolutely do not see the linkage to this and being successful as a state.

Shawn Budke
THERE IS NO POINT EVEN GOING ANY FURTHER WITH YOU. IT IS LIKE ARGUING WITH A FENCE POST. HS WRESTLERS WILL NOT GET ANY BETTER WRESTLING 7TH AND 8TH GRADERS WHEN THEY COULD BE WRESTLING OTHER HS WRESTLERS. JUST ADMIT IT. ALL OF OUR WRESTLERS SHOULD BE LOOKING AT MAKING A TRIP TO CEDAR FALLS FOR SOME REAL COMPETITION BUT I HAVE HAD JUST A HANDFUL SIGN UP. SINCE 2010 WE HAVE HAD A SEVERE DROP OFF IN THE NUMBER OF D1 LEVEL WRESTLERS AND WE HAVE NOT BEEN COMPETITIVE AT THE NATIONAL LEVEL FOR THE PAST THREE SUMMERS IN JUNIORS. STEEL SHARPENS STEEL SHAWN, YOU KNOW THAT. IF WE ONLY HAVE A HANDFUL WRESTLING DOWN THEN LETS CLEAN IT UP!

OUR GOALS SHOULD BE TO PLACE IN THE TOP 5 OF JUNIOR DUALS. TO HAVE 10 FARGO AA'S AT THE JUNIOR LEVEL BETWEEN FS AND GR. TO PLACE IN THE TOP 5 OF CADET DUALS. TO HAVE 20 FOLKSTYLE AA'S AT CEDAR FALLS. TO HAVE 600 KIDS AT OUR FS/GR STATE TOURNAMENT. WE NEED MORE COACHING CONTACT BETWEEN MARCH 1 AND MAY 31 SO WE CAN KEEP THE INTENSITY AND IMPROVEMENT AFTER HS STATE. YOUR REQUEST IS OFF BASE AS WE ALL KNOW THAT MOST OF THIS IS SUBJECTIVE BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY VARIABLES. I WILL, HOWEVER, STAND BY MY POSITION THAT HS WRESTLERS WILL NOT IMPROVE BY WRESTLING 7TH AND 8TH GRADERS.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Cokeley] #217168 03/14/13 02:45 PM
B
bradbee Offline
B
Will,

The problem seems to be the kids that are ending their season after HS State. By making it more restrictive you will only lose more. I now see what your saying. If we eliminate all other options they will have to move onto national tournys. The flaw is they won't. Those that want to push themselves are. Those that don't, can't be forced into it. Your proposition to eliminate high school from kids will only make the numbers go down. I'm all for providing awareness and helping those that can't go to national tournys go. But trying to force them by eliminating other options.... that's absurd.

If I'm wrong about your plan I apologize... But that is what it sounds like you what to do.

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: bradbee] #217172 03/14/13 03:38 PM
Beeson Offline
It could be that there is just not the interest in Freestyle and Greco. Baseball, jobs, working on the farm, summer, girls, the list goes on and on. With the Wrestling on the cutting board at the Olympics it could get worse. You can't make kids like freestyle and greco.

One more thought. It is not wrestling that is the problem. Kids are just softer these days, and their is no one to blame but the parents.

Last edited by Beeson; 03/14/13 03:41 PM.

Re: KSHSAA State Placers at Subs [Re: Beeson] #217178 03/14/13 04:11 PM
K
keplar Offline
K
Aint that the truth, sometimes i think they forget they are raising future husbands and wives

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 144 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)