Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fr/Gr Questions #218978 04/24/13 01:49 PM
H
Hull DWC Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Just curious as to what others think. I have noticed over the last couple of years that Fr/Gr has not had much support. This year there is one tour out west, maybe two up north and none in the south. I would think that there would be more interest in having tour. Has anyone pondered this or have any ideas? I remember 20 plus years ago there were tour almost every weekend. Is our Folk-style season too long? Do people just not like Fr/Gr anymore? I am concerned that it will die out. I am not sure that we see the importance of the styles anymore.

Re: Fr/Gr Questions [Re: Hull DWC] #218981 04/24/13 06:11 PM
K
KMcCall Offline
K
We have more options with Missouri hosting several here in the KC area.

Last week at Staley HS on the North side of KC they had over 400 entries including a University division. Greco had around 100 kids and FS over 150; add in Cadet and Jrs and you have a good numbers for most kids.

Several Wichita area kids made the drive up from the Hard Knox club if I recall correctly.

Somebody just has to step up and offer the event and people show up...I know easier said than done!

Kevin McCall
Re: Fr/Gr Questions [Re: KMcCall] #218999 04/25/13 04:20 PM
M
M Fisher Offline
M
Freestyle/Greco is a SIGNIFICANT variable in the overall equation of developing well-rounded wrestlers, as well as SIGNIFICANTLY increasing the wrestler’s potential for college scholarships and education. For example, attend Fargo and perform well, and see if that catches the eyes and interests of any college coaches. How is Kansas’ recent Fargo performance compared to past years? Are we improving at the rate we could? Are we declining?

The serious coaches, parents, and wrestlers understand the importance of Freestyle/Greco, so if the serious wrestler does not have the opportunity to attend solid Kansas Freestyle/Greco tournaments during April and May, then what if we bring the opportunity to November through March?

I do not know all the rules, policies, etc., but what if Kansas invested the same energy and passion in to Freestyle/Greco as we do Folkstyle by “combining” Freestyle/Greco/Folkstyle in to “ONE” season? For example, let’s assume the wrestling season is from November to March. There could be two Folkstyle tourney’s each month and two Freestyle/Greco tourney’s each month. Kansas Young Guns Shoot Out would be more than willing to convert their Folkstyle tourney to a Freestyle/Greco tourney. Other Teams could do the same until a balance occurs. This should not have any adverse effect on tourney entries during November through March, and it should not affect the Freestyle/Greco teams, schedules and tourney’s from April on.

Yes, this would mean that practices would incorporate all styles during November through March, but this would challenge coaches, parents, refs, and wrestlers to learn and get more involved with Freestyle/Greco. In the long run, would this allow Kansas to produce more rounded wrestlers? Would Kansas’ Fargo results improve? College scholarships? Etc.?

Max Fisher
316-655-5750

Last edited by M Fisher; 04/25/13 04:25 PM.
Re: Fr/Gr Questions [Re: M Fisher] #219001 04/25/13 05:14 PM
usawks1 Offline
Originally Posted By: M Fisher
Freestyle/Greco is a SIGNIFICANT variable in the overall equation of developing well-rounded wrestlers, as well as SIGNIFICANTLY increasing the wrestler’s potential for college scholarships and education. For example, attend Fargo and perform well, and see if that catches the eyes and interests of any college coaches. How is Kansas’ recent Fargo performance compared to past years? Are we improving at the rate we could? Are we declining?

The serious coaches, parents, and wrestlers understand the importance of Freestyle/Greco, so if the serious wrestler does not have the opportunity to attend solid Kansas Freestyle/Greco tournaments during April and May, then what if we bring the opportunity to November through March?

I do not know all the rules, policies, etc., but what if Kansas invested the same energy and passion in to Freestyle/Greco as we do Folkstyle by “combining” Freestyle/Greco/Folkstyle in to “ONE” season? For example, let’s assume the wrestling season is from November to March. There could be two Folkstyle tourney’s each month and two Freestyle/Greco tourney’s each month. Kansas Young Guns Shoot Out would be more than willing to convert their Folkstyle tourney to a Freestyle/Greco tourney. Other Teams could do the same until a balance occurs. This should not have any adverse effect on tourney entries during November through March, and it should not affect the Freestyle/Greco teams, schedules and tourney’s from April on.

Yes, this would mean that practices would incorporate all styles during November through March, but this would challenge coaches, parents, refs, and wrestlers to learn and get more involved with Freestyle/Greco. In the long run, would this allow Kansas to produce more rounded wrestlers? Would Kansas’ Fargo results improve? College scholarships? Etc.?

Max Fisher
316-655-5750

This idea merits some real thought!

One of the original questions of the topic was ... whether the Kids Folkstyle season was too long? In my opinion the answer is ... YES! But with Max's idea of incorporating FR/GR as part of the "season" we give ALL the opportunity to explore our Olympic styles!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Fr/Gr Questions [Re: usawks1] #219007 04/25/13 08:49 PM
H
Hull DWC Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I do believe that Mr. Fisher has a valid idea and a good understanding of the importance. However, I do see the folk style season is just as important, as it is apart of our culture and our history. I would be more comfortable shortening the folk style season. Seems to me that MO, Co, NE, OK and TX end their season about a month before us; allowing those states to have a true FR/GR season.

Re: Fr/Gr Questions [Re: Hull DWC] #219009 04/25/13 11:48 PM
usawks1 Offline
... and ending the Kids folkstyle season early, would allow those youngsters to attend HS regionals and State!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Fr/Gr Questions [Re: usawks1] #219018 04/26/13 12:52 PM
Mahan Offline
HS/MS coaches run freestyle/greco programs in all of those states as well. We went to a tournament last saturday in OKC, and there had to be at least 3 to 5 programs that brought school busses full of kids to wrestle FS/GR. how would you like to be able to do that...throughout March April and May. Do ya think KS would get better at FS/GR quickly? and honestly we are pretty good right now (although we are hamstrung by KSHSAA)

Re: Fr/Gr Questions [Re: Mahan] #219020 04/26/13 01:15 PM
M
M Fisher Offline
M
Starting the Folkstyle season later allows certain benefits as well as negatives. Ending the Folkstyle season earlier would also allow certain benefits as well as negatives. But the real questions concerning this forum topic is what Kansas can do to improve Freestyle/Greco participation?

- Maybe Kansas has focused too much on the question of “How can we get “more” Folkstyle wrestlers exposed to Freestyle/Greco?”

- Maybe a better approach is the question of “How can Kansas “Mistake Proof” the Freestyle/Greco process to get “ALL” Folkstyle wrestlers exposed to Freestyle/Greco?

You get ALL Kansas wrestlers exposed to all styles by incorporating all styles during the regular season, whether that’s only at practices, or both practices and tourney’s. Ending the Folkstyle season earlier will not guarantee more Freestyle/Greco participation. In fact, for the most part, it would probably just give kids a “jump start” to begin participating in the activities that they normally participate in after the Folkstyle season is over.

One thing is for certain, the current process of what Kansas is doing concerning Freestyle/Greco IS NOT improving at the rate it could, and in some cases, it’s declining.

Max Fisher
Kasnas Young Guns
316-655-5750

Last edited by M Fisher; 04/26/13 04:24 PM.
Re: Fr/Gr Questions [Re: M Fisher] #219023 04/26/13 02:12 PM
H
Hull DWC Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Two of the most feasible things I can think of are: 1. Cut the folk style season down by a month. 2. USAWKS could help cover cost's of putting on Fr/Gr tournaments in each district for two years. after two years interest should be up and clubs should be able to then take over the cost's.

Re: Fr/Gr Questions [Re: Hull DWC] #219024 04/26/13 03:12 PM
M
M Fisher Offline
M
Mr. Hull,

Good points. I'm still afraid that until we expose ALL Folkstyle wrestlers to FS/GR, then participation will never be what it could....so formulating a process to 100% guarantee that all Folkstyle wrestlers are given an opportunity to all styles is still ideal.

Max Fisher
316-655-5750

Last edited by M Fisher; 04/26/13 03:13 PM.
Re: Fr/Gr Questions [Re: M Fisher] #219025 04/26/13 05:39 PM
E
elid2 Offline
E
Mahan, where did you find the list of tournaments for OK?

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 149 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,382
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)