Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
FILA Rules Changes #219287 05/18/13 12:40 PM
H
Hull DWC Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Will these new rules affect us now? FILA has enacted them starting May 19th. So just wondering for Southern Plains and all the Duals?

"FILA approved a new set of rules, which will be put in place immediately, starting with any competitions held on Sunday, May 19. There are some differences between Greco-Roman and freestyle, but there were many specific rule changes which affect both styles. They include:
• Cumulative score for the entire bout
• The structure of the match is for two three-minute periods
• A takedown is worth two points, making it more valuable than a point for the pushout or a penalty point.
• There is a difference in what a technical fall will be. In freestyle, it will be a difference of 10 points, while in Greco-Roman, it will be a difference of seven points.
• There will be separation of returning athletes from the previous World Championships, although it has not yet been determined if it will be just the two top two athletes or as many as four athletes.

In freestyle, the first passivity call will be awarded with a verbal warning. In the second instance of a passivity call, a 30-second clock will begin. If no athlete scores in that 30 seconds, a caution and a point will be awarded to the opponent of the passive athlete. In addition, if no athlete scores in the first two minutes of a period, referees must select one of the wrestlers as passive. In this situation, the passive wrestler must score within 30 seconds or the opponent receives a point.

In Greco-Roman, the process for enforcing passivity was different. The first violation is a warning. The second results in a caution, with the opponent able to choose either par terre or a standing position. The third violation results in a point to the opponent. On the fourth passivity, the bout is terminated and the active wrestler is awarded a victory by fall.

There was much discussion during the Congress whether the new rules would be implemented immediately, or on January 1, 2014. The FILA Bureau, in its meetings on Friday, agreed to start the rules right away. At the conclusion of this discussion, Lalovic confirmed that the rules will change tomorrow, and that the new rules will be in force at the 2013 World Championships in Budapest".

Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: Hull DWC] #219289 05/18/13 10:46 PM
Mike Juby Offline
I'll be discussing these new rules with the officials at the clinic before the start of the tournament, but my expectation is that we will follow the new rules at the regional tournament.

Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: Mike Juby] #219292 05/19/13 02:44 AM
usawks1 Offline
You might find interesting a letter from Rusty Davidson a couple of days ago!!

MAY 2013
TO: SOUTHERN PLAINS COACHES & STATE LEADERS
FR: RUSTY DAVIDSON
RE: NATIONAL COACHES COUNCIL

Coaches and Leaders,

May has been proclaimed WORLD WRESTLING MONTH and there’s a lot going on. It seems fitting, though that the last event of this special month belongs to the Southern Plains. I am anxious to spend that weekend with you. We’ll get to watch some great kids and catch up with all the “stuff” going on in our wrestling world.
Today is Tuesday, the 14th. There’s actually some pretty cool stuff going on right now. This weekend, in Moscow, FILA will convene its extraordinary Congress. The election of a president, for a short term (thru September 2014) probably won’t be a very big story. But… as we prepare for the IOC Executive Board meeting (same weekend we’re in Dodge City), I still sense there might be a possibility of some positive tweaks in what we see as rules. The other agenda item that is getting some interest is Wrestling’s relationship with several “Non-Olympic Styles”. I’m not sure what to predict on that one.
Regarding any potential rule adjustments, or new looks, I still want us to stay ready ! Please, don’t panic when I say that. I would never suggest that we blind-side Southern Plains Kids with a bunch of crazy, half-baked, rule changes. But, and I’m still optimistic, if FILA presents us with some rule adjustments that: A) Make Sense; and B) will affect our athletes at USAW domestic, summer Nationals, I’m gonna’ urge you to let our kids, and coaches, and officials get first crack at ‘em.
I’m hoping to maintain some kind of inside track, this week. We have the duals between USA, Iran, and Russia in New York, tomorrow. The Russia v USA dual has some ‘experiments’ in the rules, and we should learn from that. Sunday, the USA wrestles Iran again, in Los Angeles. I’m lucky enough I get to work that. I should be able to learn some things. I’m sure we’ll hear the results of the extraordinary Congress on Monday.
Again, I look forward to our time together in Dodge City. We are lucky to be from the Southern Plains. Wrestling is important here ! It is my job to represent us. Therefore, please pull me off to the side, if you need to. If you’ve got a question, I’ll push for an answer. Information is power. Thanx for what you do for our kids. You are appreciated.

Ciao,
Rusty

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: usawks1] #219316 05/21/13 03:21 PM
usawks1 Offline
The latest from Rusty!

MAY 18, 2013
RE: NATIONAL COACHES COUNCIL

Coaches and Leaders,
I love it when my “Nostradometer” is working. As anticipated, FILA has handed us some new operated orders, in the form of rule changes. As anticipated, they are a breath of fresh air. As anticipated, the Southern Plains will embrace these rules to the benefit of our athletes.
I was so impressed with President Lalovic’s gesture, as he delivered his acceptance speech to the FILA representatives from around the globe. He gave each member an envelope, telling them it contained a “Picture of the Person who will preserve our sport in 2020 and beyond”. Each envelope contained a small mirror.
I am anxious and ready to do my part. As I write this, I’m on the plane to Los Angeles for our UNITED 4 WRESTLING duals tomorrow. I have a plan about how to begin working WITH our coaches, regarding the way Passivity is managed.
The big thing, for us, is to start MONDAY preparing athletes to wrestle THREE-MINUTE PERIODS. Think and watch, and think some more. Our tactical approach will change. Pace will be something to practice and perfect.
With this, prepare for CUMULATIVE SCORING. It will be vital for us to OPEN A LEAD, in the first period, when we are ahead. Same-Same... if we are behind, it is vital to RECOVER and CLOSE.

I'll know more after tomorrow in LA.

May 20th

Yesterday afternoon and last night were AWESOME. I can’t say it’s just because of the term NEW, but I can say it’s because of what NEW means this time. The “New” rules set us free. Coaches and athletes and officials are working TOGETHER again. Being on the mat, yesterday, with these great athletes, made me feel like part of a TEAM again.
It’s the nature of our organization to want to play a lot of “What If’s” and make everything a long, drawn-out, political process. Save that, my friends. Jump in. Everything’s OK.
My opinion, HERE WE GO, for the Southern Plains, next week. My proposal is: We wrestle TWO 2-MINUTE PERIODS, SCHOOLBOY AND YOUNGER and TWO 3-MINUTE PERIODS, CADET AND OLDER.

I’m campaigning hard for us to NOT stop he match to issue the first warning for passivity. Officials, this means you need to use your voice and your hands to make it clear who you’re looking at. Second warning… we HAVE TO blow a whistle. Let the athlete know, “You’re on the clock”. This applies to Freestyle only. Again, I am campaigning, and will continue… If we get to the end of that 30 seconds, we need to award the Passivity Point WITHOUT BLOWING A WHISTLE. Mat-Chairmen: Record this as a point with a CIRCLE around it.
Alright. I’m gonna’ stop, for now. I’m working on the Greco applications, and will get them to you.
I just have to say… You and your athletes are going to LOVE these rules… I promise. I’m asking State Leaders, DO NOT politicize this. You have Bigger Fish to Fry, than to make this attempt at returning common sense to our rules complicated.

No doubt, there’s a lot of news coming our way. When I know, you’ll know… promise.

Ciao
Rusty

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: usawks1] #219318 05/21/13 09:08 PM
Ed Wilson Offline
Originally Posted By: usawks1
The latest from Rusty!

MAY 18, 2013
My opinion, HERE WE GO, for the Southern Plains, next week. My proposal is: We wrestle TWO 2-MINUTE PERIODS, SCHOOLBOY AND YOUNGER and TWO 3-MINUTE PERIODS, CADET AND OLDER.

Ciao
Rusty

If the schoolboys have two 2-minute periods at southern plains, will they use the same format for the duals and nationals?

Did you see that Eckenbacherswartzendruber?

Lawrence Elite Wrestling Club
Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: Ed Wilson] #219319 05/21/13 10:06 PM
usawks1 Offline
We can ask Rusty next week but I would anticipate so!!

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: usawks1] #219320 05/22/13 12:34 AM
Mike Juby Offline
The Junior Olympic Wrestling Committee is responsible for setting the rules for competition at the Junior division and younger. The JOWC voted this evening to adopt the new rules effective immediately for all national events. The regionals are given the option of adopting the rules. I will be working with the other states in our region to determine whether we will follow the new rules; but since we will be using these rules at the Duals and at Utah & Fargo, I will be recommending that we use the new rules at Dodge City.

There are a few clarifications that Rick Tucci will be sending out in the next couple of days, including the following:

Freestyle
  • A 5 point throw will not end the match
  • Push outs will be called the same as currently, except where continuous action on a scoring move takes the scoring wrestler over the line.
Greco
  • All guts will be two points (even without a bridge)

Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: Mike Juby] #219321 05/22/13 12:39 AM
J
J. Storm Offline
J
As I went over the new rules in matches a question came up about the clinch at the end of a period. Will they still have the clinch? If so would it be at the end of a period or end of the match since there is a cumulative score? Not sure if anyone knows on that one.

Jason Storm
Head Women's Coach Labette County High School
Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: J. Storm] #219322 05/22/13 12:51 AM
Mike Juby Offline
No, there will not be a clinch. Freestyle cannot end in a 0-0 tie due to the passivity call at the 2:00 mark. In Greco, the victory is awarded to the wrestler who was the last to be judged most active (whoever got the last caution for passivity would lose).

Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: Mike Juby] #219323 05/22/13 02:43 AM
C
Chad Parks Offline
C
Watch this Jordan Oliver match to better understand the new rules (which are awesome by the way!)...

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/250...banaliev-Russia

All hard work brings profit, but mere talk leads to poverty. -Proverbs 14:23
Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: Chad Parks] #219327 05/22/13 04:28 PM
E
elid2 Offline
E
I really think time periods for Schoolboy needs to be the same as Cadet & Junior!

Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: elid2] #219330 05/22/13 05:13 PM
Mike Juby Offline
The USAW Kids' Division Executive Committee will be meeting to discuss the time periods, as well as any other modifications that might need to be made (I'm not aware of any at this time, but that might change). When we discussed this at the JOWC conference call there was some support for leaving the Schoolboy/girl division the same but make the younger age groups 2-two minute periods. As soon as the decision is made I'll post it here.

Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: Mike Juby] #219333 05/22/13 07:55 PM
E
elid2 Offline
E
It looks like Schoolboy National Duals they will be using 2 - three minute periods.

Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: elid2] #219338 05/22/13 09:46 PM
Mike Juby Offline
Here is a description of the new Greco-Roman rules:

After consultation with USA Wrestling, the following rules will be in place for competitions in our country. There have been a number of different variations of the rules that were sent out, but our position is that we would like to have a unified scoring system at every competition. I will only address the changes that we will see since the FILA rules are still pending on their approval and we have a number of important competitions coming up in the near future. Some of the interpretations will be different from the FILA rules but the agreement was that we will be unified in our efforts. These rules should continue through Fargo 2013. After Fargo, any directives from FILA will be addressed and honored.

GRECO-ROMAN

Two 3 minute periods with a 30 second break between periods
cumulative scoring, not individual period scoring
2 point takedowns
1 point reversal
2 point gut wrenches- hand to hand, across the back, still 2 points
no chest to chest starts- regular starts like freestyle
7 point difference ends the match
The winner of the match is the wrestler with the highest point total for the two periods.
Stepping out of bounds under attack or pushed will result in 1 point and possibly a caution and a point for fleeing the mat (officiating team decision)
A wrestler completing a takedown but steps out of bounds in the process will be awarded the takedown if he does so in one continuous motion. Any hesitation, stoppage will result in a point for his opponent.
Two 3 point moves or a 5 point throw in a period DOES NOT end the period. Cumulative scoring > A 7 point difference results in a technical fall.
All cautions and warnings are cumulative from the first to the second period.
Water and damp towels will be allowed in the corners between periods.

Passivity procedure- Greco-Roman

1. First violation- passive wrestler is warned without stopping the match and indicated by the official raising his arm corresponding to the passive wrestler. He will direct the arm towards the mat chairman and both corners while issuing a "red or blue warning" loud enough for the athletes and coaches to hear. The officials will indicate on their bout sheets a W indicating a warning has been given. No confirmation from judge or mat chairman is needed.

2. Second passivity violation results in a caution without a point given. The referee must have confirmation in order to stop the match to issue the caution. The judge or mat chairman must confirm the call. The active wrestler will have choice of standing or par terre position. If par terre (two hands on back) is selected, they will remain in that position as long wrestling is active. Same as last years rules. If there is no action, the referee will blow his whistle and stand the wrestlers up and wrestling will continue. The referee does not need confirmation to stand the wrestlers up from par terre. No point would be given for lack of scoring in par terre. The mat chairman and judge will indicate on their bout sheets a caution O and a peg will be inserted indicating a caution has been given.

3. Third passivity violation results in a technical point being given to the active wrestler and a caution issued O against the passive wrestler. The referee must have confirmation in order to stop the match and issue the caution. The judge or mat chairman must confirm the call. The active wrestler will have choice of standing or par terre position. If par terre (two hands on back) is selected, they will remain in that position as long as wrestling is active. Same as last years rules. If there is no action, the referee will blow his whistle and stand the wrestlers up and resume wrestling. The referee does not need confirmation to stand the wrestlers up from par terre. No point would be given for lack of scoring from par terre. The mat chairman and judge would indicate on their bout sheets a caution O has been given and a peg is inserted.

4. Fourth passivity violation terminates the match. A caution is given and the active wrestler wins by a fall not a disqualification. This is the third caution.

5. If the match ends 0-0 the more active wrestler wins the match. The wrestler that was passive LAST loses the match.

Passivity procedure generally will start 45 seconds to 1 minute into a scoreless period.
At the 5 minute mark of a scoreless match, the officials will intensify the passivity criteria to try and avoid a scoreless match.

DETERMINING THE WINNER IN A TIE MATCH

Winner is selected as followed in a tie match

l
highest technical point value (5,3,2)
last point scored
more active wrestler (not last called for passivity)

warnings do not count in this determination.
cautions do not figure in this determination

CHALLENGES

Must be done within 5 seconds of the questioned call posted on the official scoreboard. Only exception would be the official scoreboard did not indicate the score in a timely manner.
The athlete must accept or reject challenge. He can ask his coach to challenge. Once the challenge is accepted it cannot be withdrawn.
The wrestler can only override his coach 1 time per match. This could be conceived as a stalling technique.
After the review, the officiating team (mat chairman, judge, referee) renders their decision. The jury makes the FINAL decision even if all three of the officiating team are unanimous in their decision.
The review can be watched twice if there is disagreement by the jury. Only the challenged action is reviewed.
If the challenge is upheld , the challenge block is returned to the challenged corner. This includes any change in the scoring for red or blue.
If the challenge is rejected, a point is given to the opponent of that wrestler.
There is only one challenge per match unless the challenge is upheld.
Challenges from coaches are made from their seats without stepping on the mat or approaching the mat chairman or mat judge
A challenge cannot be accepted to dispute a fall . It also cannot be accepted at the end of a period. However at the end of the period if the points have not been correctly posted to the scoreboard, a challenge would be accepted.

Yours in wrestling,
Rick Tucci

Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: Mike Juby] #219339 05/22/13 09:47 PM
Mike Juby Offline
Here is a description of the new freestyle rules:

As I have done with Greco-Roman, I will present the freestyle rules as they will be called in the USA until Fargo when and or if we receive a directive from FILA as to the final adoption.

FREESTYLE

Two 3 minute periods with a 30 second break between periods
cumulative scoring
2 point takedowns
1 point reversals
2 point gut wrenches or ankle laces, hand to hand or shoulder.
10 point difference ends the match
The winner of the match is the wrestler with the highest point total for the two periods
Stepping out of bounds under attack or pushed will result in 1 point and possibly a caution and a point for fleeing the mat (officiating team decision)
A wrestler completing a takedown but steps out of bounds in the process will be awarded the takedown if he/she does so in one continuous motion. Any hesitation, stoppage will result in a point for the opponent.
Two 3 point moves or one 5 point throw does not end the period. Cumulative scoring> A 10 point difference results in a technical fall.
All cautions and warnings are cumulative from the first to the second period.
Water and damp towels are allowed in the corners between periods.

PASSIVITY PROCEDURE

1. First offense is a verbal warning: The referee does not need confirmation to make the call and the match is not stopped. The referee will indicate the offending wrestler by raising his(referee) arm corresponding to the color and announcing "Attention (red or blue). He directs his decision to the mat chairman and the two corners.
2. Second offense, the referee must first get confirmation from the mat chairman and judge and when he does, he stops the match and indicates that the wrestler penalized is in the penalty period. A separate clock is set at 30 seconds and the match is restarted. Should either wrestler score in the 30 seconds, no penalty point is awarded, only the technical point(s) will be scored.
3. The maximum limit to call the passivity is at 2:00 of the period in a scoreless match. However, passivity can be called anytime and the procedure followed. If a point is given for passivity, it is indicated on the bout sheet by a circle with a 1 in the middle of it. This is not a caution. The awarding of the point for passivity is done at the end of the 30 second penalty period without stopping the match. The point will be awarded to the non passive wrestler and the action that is in progress but not completed by the end of the 30 seconds will count in the continuation of the match.
4.The procedure could be repeated for the other wrestler if the officiating team feels that he/she is being passive and the same format is done.
5. If points have been scored in the period the passive call will be minimized.
6. All this is accompanied by confirmation by mat chairman or the judge.
7. The calling of fleeing the mat, illegal holds and fleeing the holds remain in effect with a caution and a point.

DETERMINING THE WINNER IN A TIE MATCH

Winner is declared as followed in a tie match

highest technical point value (5.3.2)
last point scored

Cautions do not figure into this determination..
Warnings do not count in this determination

CHALLENGE PROCEDURE

The challenge procedure is the same as explained in Greco-Roman.

Yours in wrestling,
Rick Tucci

Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: Mike Juby] #219340 05/23/13 12:53 AM
C
CMB Offline
C
Mr. Juby, I had a question on weigh-ins at Southern Plains. It says that if you wrestle two or three styles that the Thursday weigh in is good the whole weekend. Below that under weigh-in procedures, it says that if you wrestle Folkstyle and skip Greco that you will have to weigh-in for freestyle. Can you let everyone know which is correct.
Thank you

Chris Bowen
Goddard High Wrestling
Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: elid2] #219352 05/23/13 12:27 PM
Mike Juby Offline
Originally Posted By: elid2
It looks like Schoolboy National Duals they will be using 2 - three minute periods.

That is what Louis Rosbottom (event director) is guessing, but it will be determined for certain in tonight's conference call by the Kids' National Executive Committee. I think the consensus, from the members that I've talked to, is to leave the Schoolboys at 3 minutes and drop the younger age groups to 2 minute periods. However, that is just conjecture at this point.

Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: Mike Juby] #219355 05/23/13 11:10 PM
Mike Juby Offline
Schoolboy Duals will be two periods of two minutes each in length.

The Kids/Cadet Executive Committee voted to keep Cadets at two 3-minute periods. All of the Kids’ divisions will wrestle two 2-minute periods except for Bantam, which will wrestle two 90-second periods.

In addition, the 30 second freestyle passivity clock is eliminated for the Kids’ divisions. The second passivity call will be a Caution – 1 pt.

Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: Mike Juby] #219356 05/24/13 04:08 AM
C
Coomes7 Offline
C
These new rules suck..

Mark Coomes, Phillipsburg High School Wrestling Club. All I see is GOLD.
Re: FILA Rules Changes [Re: Coomes7] #219366 05/25/13 12:50 AM
Mike Juby Offline
I received the following message about the new rules. I thought there were a lot of good thoughts in it and felt it was worth posting in its entirety.

Quote:
To all USA Wrestling State Chairs:

As most of you have heard, FILA adopted new rules last week at a special meeting in Moscow. These changes are a critical piece of our campaign for reinstatement into the Olympic program in 2020. USA Wrestling had significant input during the development of these rules and the international wrestling community believes the changes will make matches more exciting for the fans, athletes, and coaches.

After watching matches wrestled under these rules, I’m optimistic about the impact they will have on our sport. The changes have reallocated risk and reward in a way that favors the offensive wrestler. Though the duals were only three days apart with mostly the same wrestlers, the matches in Los Angeles (new rules) were higher scoring and more exciting that the matches in NYC (old rules). This controlled experiment convinced me we are headed down the right path.

Though these rules are judged to be positive by most of the wrestling community, it is still change, and there will be some who are against either the rules in general or USA Wrestling’s swift implementation of them mid-season. As a state chair, you may hear concerns from your membership and I think it may be helpful if you have some simple talking points:
  • Immediate Implementation: is critical as we were a leader in the charge to make many of these changes. By taking a leadership role in the development and swift implementation of the new rules, we have bolstered our position as an influential power in the international wrestling community.
  • Two point takedown: encourages offensive attack and puts more points on the board.
  • Out-of-bounds out rule: is still in effect. This is positive as in creates back pressure, promotes wrestling in the middle of the mat, and increases the pace of the match. This is one aspect of the old rules I thought was positive and I’m glad it’s retained.
  • Out-of-bounds remains one point: encourages an athlete to finish a takedown rather than push the opponent out of bounds. The coach in me loves this dynamic because it encourages the athlete to execute solid technique. A well-finished single leg is so much more appealing to the fan (and more difficult for the athlete) than a push out.
  • Cumulative score: is generally preferred by athletes, fans, and television. It is also consistent with folkstyle, which is a positive for our organization domestically.
  • 6 minute match: increases the prominence of conditioning in the outcome of a match. For those who are not in condition, the 30 second rest period will be just long enough for them to realize how exhausted they are. For Schoolboy and below, the period length is shortened.
  • Passivity period in freestyle: is an improvement over the clinch. This period will solve the problem of a scoreless match, yet at least the passive athlete will have a realistic chance of “wrestling themselves out of trouble.” I don't believe this was the case with the old clinch because it was so skewed towards the wrestler who won the ball pull.
  • Criteria to decide a tie: Though I'm a fan of some sort of overtime, at least the criteria are within the control of the athletes (highest point value, then last point scored). Keep in mind that USA Wrestling is currently discussing adoption of alternate tie breaking criteria for the World Team Trials – this may include some type of overtime.
  • Similarity to folkstyle: The new rules are more congruent than they have ever been with folkstyle (two point takedown, cumulative score, etc.). For this reason, we believe our wrestlers – all of whom have a base in folkstyle wrestling – will have an easier time adjusting to the new rules. I’m also excited because the new rule changes present an opportunity to bring more high school and college coaches into the Olympic styles.
Wrestling is in a tough spot and we have our backs against the wall. The success of FILA’s initiatives – including the new rules – is critically important in the effort to keep wrestling on the Olympic program. As leaders of grassroots wrestling in this country, USA Wrestling is relying on you to step up and advocate for the new rules. There will be some individuals viewing the glass as half-empty and pointing out only the problems. I hope you and your associations will help them see what's right with the new rules and find ways to deal positively with the inevitable adjustments that are necessary as we move forward.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Les

PS. Early reports from the University Nationals are positive regarding the affects of the new rules on Greco Roman. More to come…

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Coach T.Gonzales 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 150 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,369
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)