Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: RJW1] #222333 12/16/13 02:57 PM
M
M.Church_AD Offline
M
A few years ago, my team was attending the Garden Plain varsity tournament. I eventually moved my team to a tougher tournament but kept Garden Plain on the schedule for my J.V. I sent them one year and I believe they placed in the top 3. The next year, the A.D. sent an email asking if we were going to send our varsity kids this year. I said we would not be. They then told us they did not want us coming unless it was our #1's. So basically we were kicked out for not bringing our varsity. I agree with Rick!

I have always had high regard for the Garden Plain community and still do. However, this decision baffled me.

Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: Just Wondering] #222336 12/16/13 03:46 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
I guess the next step is to tell the wrestlers and coaches from Lansing, Mill Valley, STA, Prairie View, Baldwin, etc. that their good showing at the Eudora TOC was meaningless, the TOC was inferior competition, SJA good guys were not their, and most of the other teams were JVs. The SMNW Cougar was also probably all the good wrestlers were split off ands went to Iowa, Colorado, Tim Buk tu to better, more competitive tournaments.

Understand the B/L Bobcat Classic is inviting split and JV teams from a few Kansas powerhouses. And, the KC Metro Classic is now open to JV wrestlers.

A point missed in this topic is that sending split and/or JV teams into what thought to be a good competitive tournament (if not why call it a CLASSIC or a TOC) robs all other wrestlers an opportunity to wrestle the top/the quality guys. Why train most of the year, do the road miles, diet and cut weight, work hard, earn your spot on the varsity if its all for nil and be a punching bag for the good guys and their JVs. I always thought every match was a training event. So, I think wrestling the powerhouse scrubs and JV robs all the other wrestlers at a tournament of the chance to get better.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: WillyM] #222337 12/16/13 03:56 PM
J
Jrogers Offline
J
If you want to wrestle against some of the best wrestlers in the nation you will either have to travel. Or they will have to travel to you. Either way someone is traveling.

Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: WillyM] #222339 12/16/13 04:21 PM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline
W
Originally Posted By: WillyM

A point missed in this topic is that sending split and/or JV teams into what thought to be a good competitive tournament (if not why call it a CLASSIC or a TOC) robs all other wrestlers an opportunity to wrestle the top/the quality guys. Why train most of the year, do the road miles, diet and cut weight, work hard, earn your spot on the varsity if its all for nil and be a punching bag for the good guys and their JVs. I always thought every match was a training event. So, I think wrestling the powerhouse scrubs and JV robs all the other wrestlers at a tournament of the chance to get better.

Didn't the SJA powerhouse scrubs take 3rd. If you want a tougher tournament, maybe the director should get rid of some of the weaker varsity teams instead of SJA powerhouse scrub team. And who cares if they call it a TOC or classic, does that really make it more prestigous tournament. It doesnt diminish what Lansing or Mill Valley accomplished, in any way. Maybe the coaches should recognize that whatever SJA is doing is pretty darn succesful and they are at the point where their second team (powerhouse scrubs) is almost as good as some of the better teams in the area. And instead of trying to criticize the SJA accomplishments, maybe they should be trying to copy what SJA is doing if they want to to get the top level wher SJA is right now.

"If pro is the opposite on con, then the opposite of progress is congress"
Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #222342 12/16/13 05:21 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Nope!!!!! SJA scrubs and JV placed 17th in a 23 team field at Eudora. STA placed 3rd at Eudora.

SJA good guys placed 5th at Council Bluffs. Olathe North was 6th and Olathe South was 26th at Council Bluffs (28 team field). That must have been the Olathe South scrub/JV team!

Tough to get better when wrestling the other guys scrubs and JV.

And tournament names hopefully do mean something--hopefully the name describes the expected level of competition. Apparently not so. What sounds better: The Eudora Tournament of Champions, or just the Eudora Tournament?

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #222343 12/16/13 05:25 PM
D
dagwood Offline
D
I think calling these wrestlers scrubs just because they are not varsity wrestlers is degrading. I would think that their performance on the mat proved that they had just as much business being there as any other team.

Darren Newton
Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: dagwood] #222345 12/16/13 05:43 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Call them what you want--they were not the first team! If they were not good enough to go to Council Bluffs with the first team, then they were not good enough to go to any other varsity tournament. All the other varsity wrestlers from all the other varsity teams at Eudora are not punching bags or practice mats for anybody's scrubs and JV.

They proved nothing on the mat. They finished 17th out of 23..

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: WillyM] #222348 12/16/13 06:14 PM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline
W
Originally Posted By: WillyM
Call them what you want--they were not the first team! If they were not good enough to go to Council Bluffs with the first team, then they were not good enough to go to any other varsity tournament. All the other varsity wrestlers from all the other varsity teams at Eudora are not punching bags or practice mats for anybody's scrubs and JV.

They proved nothing on the mat. They finished 17th out of 23..

Wrong Willy. They proved they were better than 6 other teams in that tournament. So what about those 6 other teams, they must be really bad according to your stadards. What do you call a team thats lower than a bunch of nobody, punching bag JV scrubs, letter jacket wannabes that dont deserve to be on the mat in this tournament. You must really think they suck.

Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #222349 12/16/13 06:42 PM
J
Jrogers Offline
J
I can't say how bad any other teams are. My son wrestles for Eudora. I won't say they are bad but what I will say is they have 12 kids on the team. 2 have high school experience. 5 have injuries. So out of the 6 that wrestled at the tourney. 2 had more than one yrs of wrestling. One was a soph and one was a freshman. Both have wrestled since they were 5. And the freshman placed 5th in 120lbs. The other 4 are first year wrestlers. All gave their all. It's just the cards we was dealt..

Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #222351 12/16/13 06:54 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
They had 2 second place finisher. God job. But why did these two wrestlers not go to Council Bluffs. They also had one 7th and 5 24th place finishes.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: WillyM] #222352 12/16/13 06:58 PM
J
Just Wondering Offline
J
Willy, nothing wrong with you having an opinion on the subject BUT lets stay away from calling any kid a scrub.....really necessary?

Bob Burnett
Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: Just Wondering] #222353 12/16/13 07:05 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: Just Wondering
Willy, nothing wrong with you having an opinion on the subject BUT lets stay away from calling any kid a scrub.....really necessary?

Nothing wrong with an opinion...but there is something wrong with being a cry baby. That's just how life is, they didn't want to send the whole team and they didn't. No amount of crying is going to change that.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: WillyM] #222354 12/16/13 07:06 PM
High Water Offline
WillyM
What is wrong with you that you would be completely disrespectful to these kids no matter what school they are from. These kids work hard everyday and some 365 day a year. They made weight and wrestling tough for two days. You have no right to call them scrubs. Some of these kids read this forum and they are reading you trash their accomplishments. For that matter, Lansing kids are reading this and you're trashing what they earned.

Do you have that little respect for the sport and the kids who wrestling in it to trash them?

If you don't like something - change it with your school and their schedule, but don't trash kids.

Last edited by High Water; 12/16/13 07:07 PM.
Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: Jrogers] #222355 12/16/13 07:10 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Jrogers
I can't say how bad any other teams are. My son wrestles for Eudora. I won't say they are bad but what I will say is they have 12 kids on the team. 2 have high school experience. 5 have injuries. So out of the 6 that wrestled at the tourney. 2 had more than one yrs of wrestling. One was a soph and one was a freshman. Both have wrestled since they were 5. And the freshman placed 5th in 120lbs. The other 4 are first year wrestlers. All gave their all. It's just the cards we was dealt..

Good show with what you had. Hope your coaching staff is building your team by entering your younger wrestlers in every JV tournament he can find. Entering a varsity tournament and getting your butt slammed teaches nothing. Nice for a 9th or 10th grader to say he is on the varsity, but if not winning needs to go down to his competitive level. Sitting the varsity bench just to talk up the girls at the lunch counter means nothing!

A short story. 19 years ago when my son was a HS freshman--and a very good soccer player--the HS coach told me he was going to keep him up with the varsity. My response to the coach was if he was getting varsity playing time OK. But I did not want to see him just sitting on the varsity bench and not even getting JV experience. He got varsity time as a sub and by the 3rd game he was starting--and continued starting for the next 3 years--all conference soccer 3 years, 2 years junior college soccer. My point is, sometimes the parent has to manage both his athlete and the coach. Seen too many kids sit the varsity bench and get no playing time at any level.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: WillyM] #222359 12/16/13 07:48 PM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline
W
[quote=WillyM
Good show with what you had. Hope your coaching staff is building your team by entering your younger wrestlers in every JV tournament he can find. Entering a varsity tournament and getting your butt slammed teaches nothing. Nice for a 9th or 10th grader to say he is on the varsity, but if not winning needs to go down to his competitive level. Sitting the varsity bench just to talk up the girls at the lunch counter means nothing!

A short story. 19 years ago when my son was a HS freshman--and a very good soccer player--the HS coach told me he was going to keep him up with the varsity. My response to the coach was if he was getting varsity playing time OK. But I did not want to see him just sitting on the varsity bench and not even getting JV experience. He got varsity time as a sub and by the 3rd game he was starting--and continued starting for the next 3 years--all conference soccer 3 years, 2 years junior college soccer. My point is, sometimes the parent has to manage both his athlete and the coach. Seen too many kids sit the varsity bench and get no playing time at any level. [/quote]

When you where "Managing" the coach 19 years ago, did you tell the coach that my son is a JV scrub only good enough to be a punching bag if he cant start. Did you tell your kid your a JV, punching bag scrub if you dont make the varsity.

MY son is on the varsity level and he has had 3 guys challenging him for his spot and gets challenged every week and is getting challenged tonight. I manage the coach and tell him my kid is going to fight as hard as he can to retain that varisity spot. But if he loses, the coach will send him with the second team to a varsity tourmanent and he will get him the best competition he can so he can continue to progess. I wont call him a scrub or that he's only good enough to be a punching bag. I might try to say something supportive to build his confidence, but not call him a scrub.

Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: WillyM] #222360 12/16/13 07:50 PM
C
Carroll Offline
C
WillyM

How many teams brought a full line-up to Eudora just 1 which was lansing. Some teams brought 5 guys total so why does it matter if a team brought quality JV kids to a varsity tournament.Its all about kids getting matches I saw one bracket this weekend at Eudora were a kid had zero matches on friday.

Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: Carroll] #222362 12/16/13 08:04 PM
J
Jrogers Offline
J
I know a kid from Lansing had 0 matches on Friday. I believe it was in 113lb class.
My son the "freshman" is having a blast on the Eudora wrestling team. Sure he will have some losses this year but he is 12-3 on the varsity team. He is fully capable of competing at the varsity level.

Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: Jrogers] #222364 12/16/13 08:35 PM
Beeson Offline
A parents job is not to Manage the Coach or the Athlete. A parents job is to support the coach, unless they suspect abuse, and then the parent better tread lightly. Parents trying to manage coaches get college athletes dismissed from the team. They are not worth the headache that the parents cause. Looking at this topic, I have a headache.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: Jrogers] #222365 12/16/13 09:30 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Jrogers
I know a kid from Lansing had 0 matches on Friday. I believe it was in 113lb class.
My son the "freshman" is having a blast on the Eudora wrestling team. Sure he will have some losses this year but he is 12-3 on the varsity team. He is fully capable of competing at the varsity level.

If he is 12-3 on the varsity team than he must be a varsity level wrestler. Way to go Mr. freshman. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing you at state!

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Splitting a team to compete in two tournamentst [Re: WillyM] #222366 12/16/13 09:39 PM
Cokeley Offline
Bill,

You won't be seeing Eudora at state. They are in 4A which means he will be wrestling in Salina if he makes it. Your team will be in Wichita where the 5A and 6A state tournaments are held. Maybe you aren't planning to attend as there will probably be some good indoor soccer going on somewhere.

Clearly you have no business trying to teach us how to make wrestling better if you are really a soccer dad. That coupled with your ridiculous logic and conflicting statements might make you the most amusing poster of this season so far. Please keep up the comedic entertainment.

Last edited by Cokeley; 12/16/13 09:39 PM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 117 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,369
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)