Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE #223045 01/12/14 11:14 PM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
I attended the Derby Tournament this weekend and could have sworn it was a little league tournament. Momma's and Daddy's actually sitting mat side by their coaches. Parents, you do not belong mat side, you belong in the stands watching from a distance. Your baby boys are now in High School, let them grow up and compete like big boys. They do not need you mat side. Coaches, get control of your parents.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: Beeson] #223051 01/12/14 11:54 PM
J
Just Wondering Offline
J
Beeson, couldn't agree more. The other thing that has gotten out of control is the practice of gathering the entire team around the mat when one of their own in wrestling. Obstructs the view from the lower level of the stands.

2 coaches and a stat keeper....maybe someone taping the match....

Who needs to get these things under control? coaches? Tournament personel? refs?

Last edited by Just Wondering; 01/12/14 11:55 PM.

Bob Burnett
Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: Just Wondering] #223057 01/13/14 12:58 AM
T
tryingtobesilent Offline
T
The tournament personal has to enforce the rules in my opinion.

Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: tryingtobesilent] #223070 01/13/14 01:57 AM
S
Spexy Offline
S
Chad,
I was also there. You yelling from the stands is no different than a parent mat side. Quote, "are you coaching or wrestling?"(which came from you), on a injury time.
Who cares! If you get poked in the eye and need time, it's the coaches choice to talk to his wrestler and use all the time needed. Not for a spectator to, belittle the situation.
Pretty sure Buckbee, would do the same.

Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: Spexy] #223072 01/13/14 02:02 AM
S
Spexy Offline
S
This was NOTHING like a kids tourney. If there were 100 people in the stands I'd be amazed. At kids try 200-300. High school wrestling is not a huge spectator sport. Guarantee nobody couldn't see each mat from there seat, unless you sat on the front row.

Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: Spexy] #223075 01/13/14 02:18 AM
E
Ex Heights Coach Offline
E
As a former coach, official and athletic administrator this is a problem that should be corrected by the host administrator. If that doesn't happen then the official on the mat can and should clear the area in concern. I have done this both as an administrator and official.

Dee Gard

Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: Ex Heights Coach] #223079 01/13/14 02:48 AM
M
M.Church_AD Offline
M
Chad Beeson is now my hero today! At some point parents will have to figure out that their kids are in high school and it's time to let go (Be a supportive fan!!!). Some just can't do it. This is not a problem from one team. This is state wide and I agree that the coaches should not have to worry about this. It should be taken care of by tournament administrators. I do know, at Derby, if somebody would have just talked to their A.D., he would have taken care of it. Now, when you go into that 28 team tournament at Newton where the gym only really holds 10-15 teams.. Good luck keeping anybody from matside!!!!!

Just something to fix in the future.

smile

Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: Beeson] #223083 01/13/14 04:30 AM
R
robtower Offline
R
At the Shawnee Mission South tournament this weekend a STA wrestler had a dedicated caddy or nanny the entire day. This older woman holding his headgear between matches, following him everywhere he went. Picking up all his clothing and warmups as he threw them just out of reach to the floor. Straightening his singlet before each match. Trading her the beats headphones for the headgear when it was time to wrestle. Yes she did stay matside and wait to hand him his clothing one piece at time to dress after each match.

Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: Spexy] #223085 01/13/14 11:13 AM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Spexy
Chad,
I was also there. You yelling from the stands is no different than a parent mat side. Quote, "are you coaching or wrestling?"(which came from you), on a injury time.
Who cares! If you get poked in the eye and need time, it's the coaches choice to talk to his wrestler and use all the time needed. Not for a spectator to, belittle the situation.
Pretty sure Buckbee, would do the same.

Spexy,

If your going to quote me, quote me correctly. wink What I said was "Are we injured or are we coaching? Let's wrestle!" Glover had obviously been poked in the eye, by no fault of him or the other wrestler. This stuff happens, and that is what injury time is for. But when the eye was better 15 seconds into the time out and the kid is ready to go back to the mat let him. Grabbing his headgear and coaching him for another 45 seconds to a minute is going to draw a heckle from the stands. Which is no different than fans screaming for 2 when they think a takedown has occurred. My remark was to the official to help the match along. Glover is a great kid that comes from a great family. There was no disrespect intended toward him, hell I think he was ready to go back and wrestle sooner, he just couldn't.

I still say fans belong in the stands or against the wall. NOT MAT SIDE!!!!

Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: robtower] #223087 01/13/14 12:22 PM
W
wrestlingmom Offline
W
Originally Posted By: robtower
At the Shawnee Mission South tournament this weekend a STA wrestler had a dedicated caddy or nanny the entire day. This older woman holding his headgear between matches, following him everywhere he went. Picking up all his clothing and warmups as he threw them just out of reach to the floor. Straightening his singlet before each match. Trading her the beats headphones for the headgear when it was time to wrestle. Yes she did stay matside and wait to hand him his clothing one piece at time to dress after each match.

First of all, I'm not the nanny Mom described above!

I do take pics at matside during the finals but I try to sit at the matside so I don't obstruct others view.

I agree with parents needing to stay in the stands. But I also want to point out all the extra coaches, who stand around the mats having conversations all day. For those of us who are trying to stay in the stands and watch or video, we get lots of videos of your backsides obstructing the view of our kids wrestling. In general, if you are standing around a mat (coaches, parents) you are probably obstructing someones view of the action.

Sharon Henes
STA Wrestling - President Emeritus!
Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: M.Church_AD] #223099 01/13/14 03:06 PM
coachp Offline
OK coach Church, when you mention the fact that "If someone would have told THEIR A.D. about the parents, are you referring to me? The way it is worded sounds like it. I do not always know the parents from the other team, all though it is not hard to figure out. It is the responsibility of the coach to deal with his kids' parents. If that doesn't work then the A.D. should move in. I think most of us have had experience with this and it is our responsibilty to handle it first. If a coach would have come to me and said they had a prioblem with one of their parents then I would have told the A.D. I had no reason to tell my A.D. anything. You have my email and know how to get ahold of me. If you wish to discuss this further I would be glad to. If anyone else wants to discuss the Derby Tournament email me at bross@usd260.com Have a good day. Coach Bill Ross Derby H.S.

Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: coachp] #223100 01/13/14 03:12 PM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
Coach Ross,

I don't want you to think in any way I was slamming the tournament. I thought the tournament ran smoothly and was a tough tournament as it is every year. I just don't understand what makes parents think that it is ok to sit mat side. It doesn't happen in Football, Basketball, Baseball, or any other sport, and it should not happen in wrestling.

Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: Beeson] #223106 01/13/14 04:17 PM
H
HEADUP Offline
H
It's unbelievable to me that we are even having this conversation! Parents these kids are going to take over the world someday, please make sure that they are ready. They don't need you in their corner, or at mat side during a tournament. Beeson is absolutely right, coaches need to take control. I have coached youth sports (wrestling, football, and baseball) for over 15 years. Parents are not allowed in the wrestling room, at mat side, on the football sidelines, or in the dugout. Further more I have team rules that prohibit a parent to carry a players gear. We try to teach our kids to be responsible and mature enough (yes even at 8-9yrs old) to make sure they have all the gear, drinks, etc. that they will need to compete through that game or match. I realize, it's a little different, when working in a public school system, than it is for a private club or team, but parents should be supportive from the stands. Let the coaches do their job, and let you kids grow up.

"with attitude, will, and some spirit"
Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: HEADUP] #223120 01/13/14 05:31 PM
C
cps51 Offline
C
Knowing wrestlers like I do, surprised the wrestlers don't police it. Can't imagine the ration of stuff I would have received from my teamates and coaches if my Mommy was holing my warm ups at mat side.

Gonzo?

Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: coachp] #223131 01/13/14 07:07 PM
M
M.Church_AD Offline
M
Originally Posted By: coachp
OK coach Church, when you mention the fact that "If someone would have told THEIR A.D. about the parents, are you referring to me? The way it is worded sounds like it. I do not always know the parents from the other team, all though it is not hard to figure out. It is the responsibility of the coach to deal with his kids' parents. If that doesn't work then the A.D. should move in. I think most of us have had experience with this and it is our responsibilty to handle it first. If a coach would have come to me and said they had a prioblem with one of their parents then I would have told the A.D. I had no reason to tell my A.D. anything. You have my email and know how to get ahold of me. If you wish to discuss this further I would be glad to. If anyone else wants to discuss the Derby Tournament email me at bross@usd260.com Have a good day. Coach Bill Ross Derby H.S.

I was actually complimenting Russ Baldwin in the fact that he really did take care of business when asked. If he did not know what was going on, how could he fix it. Therefore, I said,all you had to do was make the administration aware. I meant as a fan and was not one bit implying anything negative on Derby, it's coaches or staff. Coach P. and Mr. Baldwin did a great job twice with issues I saw in the crowd.

Finally, This tournament is a top shelf tournament! They run a smooth event and it is fun to be at. The community works hard and the staff and coaches work hard to put on one of the top tournaments in the state.

Coach Ross, Coach P., Coach H., and Mr. Baldwin get 2 thumbs up or 5 stars for this tournament!

Now everybody breath and relax and enjoy the rest of your season!

Church

Last edited by FalconCoach; 01/13/14 07:13 PM.
Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: M.Church_AD] #223172 01/14/14 04:47 AM
Cokeley Offline
Ironman - Top 3 toughest HS wrestling tournaments in the US year in and year out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_yBWB_3TQM

Notice the close proximity of fans to the mat! Makes it exciting.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: Cokeley] #223180 01/14/14 05:30 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
fire marshal would have had a full day's work there.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: GregMann] #223185 01/14/14 12:10 PM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
Like my dad says, "just because someone else is doing wrong does not make it ok for you to do it."

Going 100 mph down mainstreet would be exciting. Streaking at a football game would be exciting. Skipping School is exciting to High School Kids. Just because something is exciting does not mean it should be done.

I would love to sit Mat Side at the NCAA's, but wait...no mommy's or daddy's are allowed mat side. Actually none of the team mates are allowed matside either. It's still exciting to watch though isn't it.

If you want to sit matside...become a coach. Until then if you want excitement come sit with me in the stands. I always have a good time watching wrestling, from the stands.

Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: Beeson] #223200 01/14/14 02:15 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Beeson
If you want to sit matside...become a coach. Until then if you want excitement come sit with me in the stands. I always have a good time watching wrestling, from the stands.

It is always more fun to cheer/yell/celebrate/ and of course encourage officials from the stands!

The older I get the better I was!
Re: PARENTS DO NOT BELONG MATSIDE [Re: Beeson] #223207 01/14/14 03:55 PM
J
Just Wondering Offline
J
Beeson, I think I would love sitting with you to watch some matches....BUT rule 1 is you have to keep your clothes on so no steaking.

Bob Burnett

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 144 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,933
Posts250,364
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)