Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Observations #223587 01/21/14 06:22 PM
G
GNR Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Since the brilliant ones changed the weights Ive witnessed kids getting held back, and Human Growth Hormones being taken because they where to light, which sounds ridiculous to me. I have noticed 106 being loaded with talent all across the board 6a,5a,4a,321a...113 looking really tough at the top but maybe not near as deep. Overall think that weight changes have had a more negative effect!!
ONE CHANGE THAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN is making the high school rules the same as college!!!!! The ultimate goal is to get there so uniform the rules on out of bounds, stalling, riding time...ect..... riding time would eliminate the stalling on bottom man never being called anyway!!!
Anyway just some thoughts!!

Re: Observations [Re: GNR] #223589 01/21/14 06:55 PM
A
Andrew C Offline
A
I agree 100%. Out of bounds rules need to change to college rules. Way to many discrenary calls being made on the out of bounds that are causing close matches to be controversial, and shutting down alot of offense for anyone near the edge. Riding time should also be implemented. The only reason I would suspect they are not is because of the score clock requirements to have the riding time in sight, and the size of some of the mats. Weight changes I dont really have an opinion on. I cant stand the out of bounds rule for, and really think these kids need to learn to get up, changing riding time would encourage that.

Last edited by Andrew C; 01/21/14 07:32 PM.
Re: Observations [Re: Andrew C] #223594 01/21/14 07:28 PM
B
Bill Johnson Offline
B
If the out of bounds rule is changed to same as college, then many tourn. will need to add on to their gyms to keep the same number of mats. One Tourn. that comes to mind is Newton.

Re: Observations [Re: Bill Johnson] #223596 01/21/14 07:49 PM
Cokeley Offline
Bobcat doesn't have enough room either but ALL of the big venue tournaments do. Philosophically, HS officials are LOOKING to call out of bounds and College officials let the action happen. When there is a scramble the out of bounds rule in HS becomes too much of a judgement call. Stalling is SO inconsistently called that we really do need riding time.

I personally would like to see stalling at the minimum and fleeing in some cases when the offensive wrestler runs the defensive wrestler out of bounds to get a fresh start on top or to avoid getting stalling called for not attempting to return the defensive wrestler to the mat. It gets called about 1% of the time! Tell me what defensive wrestler is running out of bounds so he has to start all over on his hands and knees again???

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Observations [Re: Cokeley] #223597 01/21/14 07:55 PM
hotrodder54 Offline
F/s Greco rules go out give up 1 point awesome... That rule was actually made to force action and award aggression

Last edited by hotrodder54; 01/21/14 07:57 PM.

Jon Trowbridge
Ive never had the fear of getting beat thats how most people lose.
Re: Observations [Re: Cokeley] #223606 01/21/14 10:36 PM
WillyM Offline
Originally Posted By: Cokeley
Bobcat doesn't have enough room either but ALL of the big venue tournaments do. Philosophically, HS officials are LOOKING to call out of bounds and College officials let the action happen. When there is a scramble the out of bounds rule in HS becomes too much of a judgement call. Stalling is SO inconsistently called that we really do need riding time.

I personally would like to see stalling at the minimum and fleeing in some cases when the offensive wrestler runs the defensive wrestler out of bounds to get a fresh start on top or to avoid getting stalling called for not attempting to return the defensive wrestler to the mat. It gets called about 1% of the time! Tell me what defensive wrestler is running out of bounds so he has to start all over on his hands and knees again???

Don/t know enough to properly respond to any of this. My only comment is I don't think high school wrestling wants or needs riding time. We already have to much and to many beached whales laying around the mat. To me, we need active refs throwing warning and stall calls to keep the action moving. If the defending wrestler is not truly attempting to escape---WARNING or STALLING! If the offensive wrestler is not actually moving to improve his position---WARNING or STALLING! Fake attempts to avoid warnings and stalls, and to waste clock time: senseless movement, tugs, twists, turns,etc., are easily recognized by the fans and should be recognized and ignored by the refs. Maybe wrestling needs a soccer RED CARD for faking--2 reds and your out!!.

Last edited by WillyM; 01/21/14 10:42 PM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Observations [Re: WillyM] #223610 01/21/14 11:41 PM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
Originally Posted By: WillyM

Don/t know enough to properly respond to any of this. My only comment is I don't think high school wrestling wants or needs riding time. We already have to much and to many beached whales laying around the mat. To me, we need active refs throwing warning and stall calls to keep the action moving. If the defending wrestler is not truly attempting to escape---WARNING or STALLING! If the offensive wrestler is not actually moving to improve his position---WARNING or STALLING! Fake attempts to avoid warnings and stalls, and to waste clock time: senseless movement, tugs, twists, turns,etc., are easily recognized by the fans and should be recognized and ignored by the refs. Maybe wrestling needs a soccer RED CARD for faking--2 reds and your out!!.

First of all, please keep the soccer lingo off the wrestling forum please. If anything soccer needs to be more like wrestling. Not the other way around.

Secondly, high school wrestling NEEDS riding time simply because wrestlers should be rewarded for riding an opponent out. At the higher levels it gets harder and harder to turn your opponent. I have seen a lot of time where kids have gotten close to getting back points, but the bottom wrestler was successful in getting out of near fall criteria for more than a one count. It's hard to ride the better guys for 2 minutes and in my opinion the top wrestler should be rewarded for doing it. Stalling on top should only be called if they are riding the hips without attempting to turn, riding an ankle without attempting to break the opponent down, dropping to a foot/feet without attempting to work up the body, and/or not ATTEMPTING to bring their opponent back to the mat after they have stood up. If the bottom wrestler is flat on the mat the top wrestler should NEVER be hit for a stall call.

For those of you who don't think riding time would bring excitement to wrestling, then check out Jay Borschel's semi's match at the NCAA's in 2010 and listen to the crowd after he gets a minute of riding time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR8DpBpNH5o

Re: Observations [Re: rccokeley] #223612 01/22/14 12:09 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
It takes an educated fan to understand this. That is why the rules have been changed in football to generate high scores. It keeps the passive fans watching.

Re: Observations [Re: John Johnson] #223614 01/22/14 12:50 AM
J. Dale Offline
Thank you GNR. But notice all anyone wants to comment on is the out of bounds/riding time etc. Not one person commented on the HGH issue. I believe if it's illegal in pro/college/olympic sports then it damn sure should be illegal in high school. The argument from KSHSAA is that they don't know how to test and they are afraid of testing a kid and it being negative and them getting sued. They don't worry about a lawsuit by family of a kid that is hurt by an athelete that is on these things and KSHSAA knowingly turns their backs. There are 3 states that test. Texas, New Jersey and Illinois. Now we will hear the argument of well my son is on them because he's to small. So what now? Do we screw 99% of the kids because of the 1% that need these things? Or do we say make the choice? Sports or HGH. KSHSAA WILL NOT address these issues because they don't care. Google any of the "pins" and they will lead you to "fitness" websites for bodybuilding. Here is a quote from one of these sites----

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Norditropin HGH within the Anabolic Steroids category.

I have sat back and said nothing waiting for this subject to come up. Bash me all you want I don't care. KSHSAA is cowards for not doing the right thing for once. I have visited with them on this before and they want to bury their heads in the sand and make rules restricting travel or weigh in rules. How do high school kids gain 50-70 lbs in one season. I would never single any kid out but what kind of parent or doctor in their right mind would do this I don't know. Bash me if you want hell bar me from the forum I DON'T CARE. IF IT's WRONG IT'S WRONG.
Now let the trash talk begin.

PS- KSHSAA wake the hell up.

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: Observations [Re: J. Dale] #223615 01/22/14 01:02 AM
S
Spexy Offline
S
What the hell J. Dale. Is that rant about?? Wow!

As for the rest of the post. Riding time would be cool. At the Bobcat saw lots of matches where bottom kid went to his feet and top rider, just let him go. Riding time would change the way you wrestle, hence returning him to the mat. In another note "stalling" is a touchy subject, you get called on your feet for backing up, but with, lets say 15/20 seconds left you do the same thing they don't call it. Why?

Re: Observations [Re: J. Dale] #223616 01/22/14 01:04 AM
Beeson Offline
Jerry, what are you talking about? I personally do not see a problem with steroids in High School wrestling. The kids are trying to drop weight, not put it on. Educate me if I am missing something, but I don't see a problem.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Observations [Re: Beeson] #223617 01/22/14 01:06 AM
J. Dale Offline
Isn't that what A-Rod said?

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: Observations [Re: rccokeley] #223620 01/22/14 02:19 AM
WillyM Offline
Originally Posted By: rccokeley
Originally Posted By: WillyM

First of all, please keep the soccer lingo off the wrestling forum please. If anything soccer needs to be more like wrestling. Not the other way around.

Secondly, high school wrestling NEEDS riding time simply because wrestlers should be rewarded for riding an opponent out. At the higher levels it gets harder and harder to turn your opponent. I have seen a lot of time where kids have gotten close to getting back points, but the bottom wrestler was successful in getting out of near fall criteria for more than a one count. It's hard to ride the better guys for 2 minutes and in my opinion the top wrestler should be rewarded for doing it. Stalling on top should only be called if they are riding the hips without attempting to turn, riding an ankle without attempting to break the opponent down, dropping to a foot/feet without attempting to work up the body, and/or not ATTEMPTING to bring their opponent back to the mat after they have stood up. If the bottom wrestler is flat on the mat the top wrestler should NEVER be hit for a stall call.

For those of you who don't think riding time would bring excitement to wrestling, then check out Jay Borschel's semi's match at the NCAA's in 2010 and listen to the crowd after he gets a minute of riding time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR8DpBpNH5o

Cokely--KISS OFF. All it was is a descriptive term (soccer RED CARD). HS wrestling is not NCAA. I have watched NCAA and riding time is not exciting---boring-boring-boring. Get them on their feet and make them wrestle. What makes kids wrestling--or any kids sport--and HS wrestling-is action, movement, etc. Why/how do some of you so called wrestling experts come up with some of your BS. If the bottom wrestler is flat on his stomach then the on top wrestler is not improving his position--and that should be the name of the game. Why reward lack of motion with "RIDING POINTS"??? Stupid!!!Bill Mason.

Last edited by WillyM; 01/22/14 02:20 AM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Observations [Re: WillyM] #223622 01/22/14 02:23 AM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
my son gained 20 pounds this summer with no drugs!!!!! sometimes its called puberty

Re: Observations [Re: WillyM] #223623 01/22/14 02:25 AM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
my son gained 20 pounds this summer with no drugs!!!!! sometimes its called puberty it happened to all of us

Re: Observations [Re: WillyM] #223627 01/22/14 02:32 AM
WillyM Offline
About 15 years ago I happened to be in New Jersey the same time as the NJ HS State Tournament.--watched it on TV. Best HS wrestling I have ever seen. NJ refs throwing warning and stalls with both hand on both the offensive and defending wrestlers. No position improvement--warning or stalling. Warnings and possible stalls forced wrestler to take risks--which opened up the matches. Scores were reversed in many matches in the last 10-15 seconds. Hate to say it but makes KS HS wrestling look like sleep walking. I think every kid in that NJ Championship round was announced as a signer to a major college wrestling. program. Hate to say this also, but Mizzery HS wrestling is more exciting than Kansas wrestling. WHY--Mizzery refs more likely to throw the warning or stall.

Last edited by WillyM; 01/22/14 02:35 AM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Observations [Re: WillyM] #223628 01/22/14 02:33 AM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
then get off here and go back to NJ promot it dont diss it

Last edited by noname; 01/22/14 02:34 AM.
Re: Observations [Re: Cowbuff] #223629 01/22/14 02:40 AM
WillyM Offline
Originally Posted By: noname
then get off here and go back to NJ promot it dont diss it

NONAME. WHAT?? Your post makes no sense. At least try to write in a semblance of a sentence.

I am promoting nothing in NJ if that is what you are inferring. I am a fan and what I think is good for Kansas HS wrestling is just a valid as comments by any and all other poster. And there is a lot of BS on this forum proposed by a lot of supposed experts.

Last edited by WillyM; 01/22/14 02:42 AM.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Observations [Re: WillyM] #223630 01/22/14 02:44 AM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
ok go kick the ball and get a red card

Re: Observations [Re: Cowbuff] #223631 01/22/14 02:44 AM
C
Cowbuff Offline
C
LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 175 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,943
Posts250,375
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)