Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Salina tournament #224347 02/02/14 02:44 AM
M
Mom1980 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I was at the Salina tournament. After my kids weight was ready to get their awards we waited at least 45 minutes in the corral because 1 kid wasn't there. I'm sorry but there is no need for that. Announce that you are waiting on that person and give them 5 minutes. If they don't show up, do the awards without him. Our weight was done at 745, we didn't leave until 845. The day is long enough.

Re: Salina tournament [Re: Mom1980] #224354 02/02/14 01:21 PM
F
Flagrant Offline
F
I agree with Mom1980 on this issue. But honestly that was the least of my concerns with this tournament AGAIN.... the security guards checking bags again were ridiculous. Making people wait outside while they had 1 guard check every item in a bag and oh yea BEING RUDE while doing so. Also the officials AGAIN this year were a joke. (Not as bad as last year) 90% of the officials at this tournament are on such a power trip they refuse to talk to coaches at the table, and if they do come to the table they are extremely rude and are very quick to hand out warnings. If they want respect from a coach they need to start showing respect as well.
If the competition was not so tough at this tournament I bet many teams would go elsewhere. Which is to bad because some of these issues are not Salina's clubs fault.

Re: Salina tournament [Re: Flagrant] #224364 02/02/14 03:05 PM
S
Sig Offline
S
The old man on 16 was horrible and one over around mat 6 oh and the Hard Knox ref that would change shirts and take his arm bands off for his team to coach then go back to being a "ref". I watched a bunch of coaches/dads/moms look like little kids when trying to argue calls. You all should have someone video yourselves instead of your kids sometimes!!

Overall Great tournament, there where by far more good officials than bad, security took me about 30 seconds for a full backpack, food was OK, my cooler would have been better but it is what it is.

I think they made many great steps to work out the issues we were all so mad about last year. Some people will never be happy and they will never see the other side of the story.

Re: Salina tournament [Re: Sig] #224368 02/02/14 04:01 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Different perspective. I am on here every year after this tournament complaining about virtually every single complaint I have read on this thread. This year I attended for the first time without a son wrestling. The only thing I noticed this year were the concession prices. My anxiety level was way down and I watched Dad/coaches make fools out of themselves arguing about silly things. I watched refs deflect and defuse situations that I was certain the coach was going to be ejected. The security was polite to me and my sons. We left the venue after 8, grabbed some drive thru and talked for 2 hours about wrestling, wrestlers and referees. 90% of the conversation positive. In past years it has been a bitch session the ride home. I guess what I'm saying is that this is a long day that is emotionally charged and things get magnified that otherwise may be overlooked because of the positives you experience, when not in the heat of battle.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Salina tournament [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #224372 02/02/14 04:51 PM
J
jule Offline
J
I knew this was coming because ever year after Salina. People crawl all over this page talking about all the bad. Let me tell you what I saw. I saw a wrestling club trying to put on a high end wrestling tournament. In my eyes they succeeded. I also saw some people disrespecting that same wrestling club. Sneaking in food, breaking the rules. How would you like in if they came to your tournament and disrespected you like that? For me Salina wrestling club Thanks awesome job! Wasn't perfect but in 17 years I have been going to tournaments I haven't found a perfect one yet.

Re: Salina tournament [Re: jule] #224386 02/03/14 02:58 AM
E
ernsdorff43 Offline
E
Have the podium pictures been posted anywhere?

Re: Salina tournament [Re: ernsdorff43] #224387 02/03/14 03:35 AM
R
RZimmerman Offline
R
I want to thank everyone who made the trip to Salina for the ToC this weekend. The weather in certain parts of the state and for some of those out of state didn't necessarily cooperate with us but most people were still able to make the trip. We did have a few issues that I identified that we will work on fixing for next year's tournament.

My goal is to have the podium pictures posted by Wednesday night of this week. They will be available for free download on our website www.salinawrestling.com.

I also want to congratulate the team plaque winners. I will have our awards company start working on the custom engraved plaques tomorrow and will be contacting the winners to make arrangements for delivery of those plaques. Team plaques are awarded for the top two teams in each age division as well as one plaque awarded to the overall team. You can view the team results at www.salinawrestling.com/2014toc.htm.

If you have concerns or suggestions for next years tournament, please don't hesitate to contact me. You can reach me at the contact information below.

Rich Zimmerman
Tournament Director
(785) 823-3987
rich.zimmerman@salinawrestling.com

Rich Zimmerman
Re: Salina tournament [Re: RZimmerman] #224391 02/03/14 11:41 AM
N
notyourday Offline
N
Rich,
when I click on the individual results link it takes me to 2013 results.

Re: Salina tournament [Re: notyourday] #224399 02/03/14 02:17 PM
JCook Offline
Glad to see Trackwrestling be in used. Great job Rich and Bobby!!

James Cook
Smoky Valley
785-212-0605
Re: Salina tournament [Re: JCook] #224402 02/03/14 02:32 PM
B
bockman Offline
B
only one question. is there another place in the building that you could do the awards. that area gets crowded and hard to get to the mats in that area when doing the awards. the area on the other end where the emt's sit is a large open area i would think could be a better area for this. just a suggestion.

Scott Bockover
Re: Salina tournament [Re: bockman] #224423 02/03/14 03:39 PM
L
Love My Wrestler Offline
L
This was a great tournament. Lots of great wrestling, and a very well orgainized tournament. Waiting on trophys was long, and food was high. Both of those things you know are going to be true BEFORE you step foot in the bi-center. The only real "complaint" if you will, is the hard knocks coach refing matches in his kids bracket. That isn't right in my opinion. Props to the Salina club for putting on a great tournament. We'll be back next year.

Re: Salina tournament [Re: Love My Wrestler] #224481 02/04/14 12:19 AM
Chase Offline
In regards to said official he wasn't originally on the list to work. We had a handful not able to make the tournament due to the weather and we greatly needed all the help we could get. Luckily he had his officials gear on him when we asked him to step in and help us get through that long day and for that I say thanks for helping on short notice!

Hey Butt-Head what did people do before they invented TV?
Don't be stupid Beavis there's always been TV, there's just more channels now.
Oh yeah, heh heh hehe... progress is cool. Heh hehe heh
Re: Salina tournament [Re: Chase] #224511 02/04/14 03:14 PM
M
MSvikings Offline
M
Rich and Bobby thanks again for putting on a good tournament. My kids have been wrestling in the TOC for 5 years now. This years TOC was the best. Other than Mat 10's clock going down a few times. I am sure that is something above my pay grade to fix. That just happened to me the mat my son was wrestling on. In my son's bracket the coaches from the other placers gather up all the placers and headed them to the awards table. The boys only waited for 15 to 20 minutes for there awards and pictures.

Special thanks to the young lady who takes the photos. She makes sure everyone has got a photo before she lets the boys off the stand. Thanks again.

Josh Parker

Re: Salina tournament [Re: MSvikings] #224543 02/05/14 04:49 PM
F
first stryk Offline
F
I thought this was a very good tournament. Thanks Salina wrestling club. My only complaint was if ur going to charge for coaches bands then there needs to be a better job of keeping everybody but coaches off the floor and off the mat. I know that is a hard job to do but why do coaches have to pay for bands if there is going to be everybody and there dog down there?

Re: Salina tournament [Re: Love My Wrestler] #224620 02/06/14 06:11 PM
J
JMM Offline
J
I agree with love about the TOHK ref. This was not an isolated weekend he is doing it every weekend. My son is in that 8u73 bracket and he is reffing matches that are in that bracket.

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 176 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)