Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Canceled Tournaments #224659 02/07/14 02:44 PM
C
CoachS Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I got word the other day that the South High 9th and 10th grade tournament was canceled. This was 3 days prior to the event. It's a shame because for some of these kids its the last tournament that they get to compete in this year. Some of them even get pumped up think of it as their state tournament.

Is it me or is it crazy that a school would cancel their tournament 3 days prior to the date scheduled. I hope they didn't cancel because of the weather as we had school today and so did they.

Re: Canceled Tournaments [Re: CoachS] #224671 02/07/14 04:24 PM
K
Kevin Howell Offline
K
I believe the reason for why the cancellation involves some activity with an orange bouncing ball.

Re: Canceled Tournaments [Re: Kevin Howell] #224685 02/07/14 07:55 PM
C
CoachS Offline OP
OP Offline
C
That's an even better reason. NOT.

Re: Canceled Tournaments [Re: CoachS] #224692 02/07/14 11:37 PM
Beeson Offline
Anybody have the Name, Phone Number, and E-Mail Address for the AD at South High? I would love to send an E-Mail, a letter, and make a phone call.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Canceled Tournaments [Re: Kevin Howell] #224694 02/07/14 11:47 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: Kevin Howell
I believe the reason for why the cancellation involves some activity with an orange bouncing ball.

Serious? I can live, although it still hacks me off, with the fact that weather can result in the cancellation of a wrestling tournament.

Lee Girard
Re: Canceled Tournaments [Re: Beeson] #224698 02/08/14 12:25 AM
djackson Offline
Jay Means
316-973-4476
jmeans1@usd259.net

Don Jackson
Re: Canceled Tournaments [Re: djackson] #224773 02/09/14 07:20 AM
G
grizzliecoach Offline
G
FYI. How could South high host basketball on Saturday and cancel their wrestling tournament. Wow !!!!!!

Re: Canceled Tournaments [Re: CoachS] #224776 02/09/14 08:28 AM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: CoachS
I got word the other day that the South High 9th and 10th grade tournament was canceled. This was 3 days prior to the event. It's a shame because for some of these kids its the last tournament that they get to compete in this year. Some of them even get pumped up think of it as their state tournament.

Is it me or is it crazy that a school would cancel their tournament 3 days prior to the date scheduled. I hope they didn't cancel because of the weather as we had school today and so did they.
Coach S as you know the South High Athletic Director is also a big supporter of wrestling and assists with the KSHSAA 6A/5A State Tournament as does J. Means the GWAL Athletic Director, who is not the South High Athletic Director. I believe if you were to check with your Athletic Director, faced with the same decision of rescheduling basketball games between Class 6A number one ranked South High and Class 5A number one ranked Kapaun Mt. Carmel Catholic High School and hosting a 9th and 10th grade non-varsity wrestling event, he would have made the same decision. While I am uncertain where the decision to cancel the event came from, the host school or the GWAL office, the simple economics and prudent use of athletic facilities warrants scheduling the event which, will provide the most dollars for the host schools athletic departments.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Canceled Tournaments [Re: CoachS] #224778 02/09/14 02:22 PM
C
CoachS Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Richard I doubt that my Athletic Director would make the same decision. I am sure he would find some way to make it work.

I hope that the decision wasn't made based on economics over kids.

I did talk to Mr. Means Friday night, and he wasn't sure why they canceled the meet either. I am guessing that the choice was made at the building.

None the less we had a great practice and got better that way.

Re: Canceled Tournaments [Re: CoachS] #224793 02/09/14 07:23 PM
M
M.Church_AD Offline
M
If money was the reason... which I do not know about that one... it is now nice to know that the tax payers who built these beautiful gyms are tiered by order of importance based on being a non-varsity or varsity athlete. And NO... Rick Wheeler would not have cancelled that tournament based on hosting basketball that evening! If you called him personally Richard, he would tell you the same thing I am sure.

There is a lack of non-varsity tournaments that our kids are can compete in based on travel in our league. It's time for the teams that do not host any non-varsity events to step up.

FYI... Our sport went backwards based on this past week-ends events whether it was a non-varsity, middle school, etc. As soon as we start picking order of importance in sports..never mind....I'll stop and leave it at that.

Re: Canceled Tournaments [Re: M.Church_AD] #224860 02/10/14 04:25 PM
Beeson Offline
Ok, after a little research, here is what I have found. I doubt this information will be rebutted. If not, Shame on USD 259. If so, you all know I will be more than happy to apologize, but I'm pretty sure that will not happen.

Here Goes:

The KMC v. WS basketball games (7 of them) were rescheduled for Saturday 2/8. The same day as the Wichita South 9-10 wrestling tournament, which has a ton of teams participating. The decision was made downtown (USD 259)to move four of the junior varsity games to KMC and play the other three games at South after the tournament ended. However the girls BB coach at South did not want his junior varsity playing at KMC for a second time. I hear he is a control freak and wants to coach them as well as his Varsity.

Apparently the Principal and AD were not that excited about hosting Wrestling all day and then three basketball games. Out comes the weather card and Wrestling gets cancelled. Here is where it gets good. All schools were open Friday and ALL SEVEN BASKETBALL GAMES WERE PLAYED SATURDAY at Wichita South, but no wrestling. The weather was too bad for wrestling but not bad enough for basketball?

These junior varsity wrestlers work just as hard as the varsity wrestlers do, and a hell of a lot harder than any basketball team, Varsity or JV.

Shame on the administration at South. You punched the whole wrestling community right in the mouth. What gives you the right to value one sport over another. These wrestlers parents pay taxes just like the basketball parents do. They should be able to use the facilities just as well. To bump one sport for another is ridiculous.

Last edited by Beeson; 02/10/14 09:01 PM. Reason: Clarification

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 163 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,942
Posts250,374
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)