Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Taunting [Re: Travis Phippen] #225339 02/17/14 04:05 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Don't care about Brands and Jeff Prescott and NCAA's. I saw bad sportsmanship period. Not how a HS champion should act or wrestle.

Enuff said.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Taunting [Re: Travis Phippen] #225340 02/17/14 04:16 PM
C
Coach Prieto Offline
C
If a kid is having a hard time turning his opponent and I know we can take him down at will, then we will do that! As stated above we are trying to break the opponent down mentally and physically! In duals and tournaments we are after BONUS points not fan points!!

Re: Taunting [Re: Coach Prieto] #225345 02/17/14 04:52 PM
T
tgrandon Offline
T
I'm a huge Iowa Hawkeye fan as I grew up in Iowa so I'm biased towards Iowa and the Iowa style. This example video was what I call a mild altercation and not anywhere close to the shoving into walls and tables long after the whistle blows I have witnessed a few times this year by wrestlers with bad attitudes. I determine this type of pushing and shoving as passive aggressive pushing off an opponent to get up off the mat. Most kids would not even notice this type of push-off but parents are hyper-sensitive about this incidental pushing. I know our coach would not encourage this type of activity. It's not just about winning but how you handle yourself in winning and losing and how you represent yourself your school and your community.

Re: Taunting [Re: WillyM] #225350 02/17/14 05:30 PM
O
Outlaws174 Offline
O
Just about every coach I've ever had has told me if you don't like getting beat like that then do something about it. Don't like getting taken down and let up? Get better on your feet. Don't like getting turned? Get better on bottom.

Re: Taunting [Re: WillyM] #225351 02/17/14 05:33 PM
Beeson Offline
Originally Posted By: WillyM
Don't care about Brands and Jeff Prescott and NCAA's. I saw bad sportsmanship period. Not how a HS champion should act or wrestle.

Enuff said.

The King of Soccer has spoken. Enough Said. This Topic needs to be locked and have no more responses immediately.
Bill Mason says so.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Taunting [Re: Beeson] #225354 02/17/14 05:52 PM
E
elid2 Offline
E
I saw it at a high school dual earlier this year. My son was the one doing it and I didn't care for it much. He would take they kid down and cut him then go wait for him in the center. His coaches' did not like it at all and the ref did tell him that if he didn't stop it the he would get an unsportsmanlike call. There was no talking or gestures, just cutting... Same thing happened in a middle school match the year before, but that time they did award a point and my son had to miss a match the next meet. I don't approve of cutting some one 7 times in a period but by rule can the ref call it?

Re: Taunting [Re: elid2] #225356 02/17/14 06:23 PM
T
tgrandon Offline
T
Some how I missed the intent of this subject from pushing and shoving to taking a guy down and cutting him. There is absolutely nothing wrong with takedowns and cutting a guy. This is technical wrestling and a skilled takedown artist is rewarded in wrestling. I will never understand how that is considered taunting. That is just smart wrestling to exploit a competitors weakness. If you ever get the chance to watch Dulgerian from STA he is one of the best in our area and is truly a gifted takedown artist.

Re: Taunting [Re: elid2] #225357 02/17/14 06:26 PM
baldeagle3351 Offline
Originally Posted By: elid2
I saw it at a high school dual earlier this year. My son was the one doing it and I didn't care for it much. He would take they kid down and cut him then go wait for him in the center. His coaches' did not like it at all and the ref did tell him that if he didn't stop it the he would get an unsportsmanlike call. There was no talking or gestures, just cutting... Same thing happened in a middle school match the year before, but that time they did award a point and my son had to miss a match the next meet. I don't approve of cutting some one 7 times in a period but by rule can the ref call it?

Many wrestlers will repeatedly cut their opponent for a variety of reasons and very seldom is it to be unsporting. Perhaps he needs to get some work in to make weight for the next day's competition. Or he is getting his work in to prepare for a match he knows he will have later in the tourney. Or he just really loves to wrestle and would like to spend more than 20 seconds on the mat. I have rarely seen a wrestler cut his opponent with malicious intent.

Re: Taunting [Re: WillyM] #225375 02/17/14 10:32 PM
Travis Phippen Offline
If we are talking about the same kid and match and I'm 99% sure we are based on where you are from, he does care about the NCAA as he will be wrestling at that level next year.

Re: Taunting [Re: tgrandon] #225380 02/17/14 11:40 PM
ReDPloyd Offline
Originally Posted By: tgrandon
Some how I missed the intent of this subject from pushing and shoving to taking a guy down and cutting him. There is absolutely nothing wrong with takedowns and cutting a guy. This is technical wrestling and a skilled takedown artist is rewarded in wrestling. I will never understand how that is considered taunting. That is just smart wrestling to exploit a competitors weakness. If you ever get the chance to watch Dulgerian from STA he is one of the best in our area and is truly a gifted takedown artist.

My son was on the receiving end of one of Dulgerian's takedown clinics a couple of years ago. I was actually relieved because I knew what could have happened from the top on bottom. My son and I still chuckle about the day he scored 10 on Isaac, he just gave up 25 a little too soon.

Lee Girard
Re: Taunting [Re: Beeson] #225381 02/17/14 11:47 PM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Beeson

Enuff said.

The King of Soccer has spoken. Enough Said. This Topic needs to be locked and have no more responses immediately.
Bill Mason says so.

Beeson---Kiss my patootie. Are you following Cokeley, the great soccer hater, with a brown circle around your nose. At least I know something about more than one sport-=-do you? I know out there in South Central Kansas you don't know anything about soccer---You want to talk some HS basketball--KS districts and state tournament competition is about to begin. I know you are a great BB supporter.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Taunting [Re: WillyM] #225388 02/18/14 12:22 AM
R
rccokeley Offline
R
Yeah... Neither my dad or I said anything about hating soccer. We only said that it should stay off a wrestling forum.

Re: Taunting [Re: rccokeley] #225390 02/18/14 12:33 AM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: rccokeley
Yeah... Neither my dad or I said anything about hating soccer. We only said that it should stay off a wrestling forum.

OK, if you say so. But expressed in a very, very strong words and manners.

Plus, don't think I have mention soccer this year! Plus. see no reason for Beeson to bring it up. If he doesn't have anything other than negatives, keep then keep them to himself.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Taunting [Re: WillyM] #225393 02/18/14 12:43 AM
Beeson Offline

Plus, don't think I have mention soccer this year! Plus. see no reason for Beeson to bring it up. If he doesn't have anything other than negatives, keep then keep them to himself.

You were pretty negative about this whole topic. You haven't kept your negatives to yourself, even though the majority that have posted on this thread have disagreed with you. Since you do not know all of the strategies that have to do with wrestling, maybe you should keep your negative thoughts about the sport to yourself.

Last edited by Beeson; 02/18/14 12:44 AM.

Re: Taunting [Re: WillyM] #225398 02/18/14 12:56 AM
High Water Offline
Bill

Seriously do you know any thing about wrestling. Sometimes if you know you can't get the pin you go for the TF. Nothing bad about that. You want to win more with something other than a DEC. It is not bad sportsmanship. You shove them a little hard to get them off balance and your you in a better position for another takedown. It also pisses them off that they might do sometimes stupid and open you up for a pin. Each wrestler wrestles different and you have to know going in what their weakness is a capitalize on it.

Also, you are the most hateful negative person on this forum. You say you are all about wrestling but never say anything positive about it or the kids. You' re just a negative bitter old man than needs to find somewhere else to post. Hateful you are.

Last edited by High Water; 02/18/14 01:19 AM.
Re: Taunting [Re: High Water] #225399 02/18/14 01:10 AM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: High Water
Seriously do you know any thing about wrestling. Sometimes if you know you can't get the pin you go for the TF. Nothing bad about that. You want to win more with something other than a DEC. It is not bad sportsmanship. You shove them a little hard to get them off balance and your you in a better position for another takedown. It also pisses them off that they might do sometimes stupid and open you up for a pin. Each wrestler wrestles different and you have to know going in what their weakness is a capitalize on it.

Thank you for your lucid comments. Yes I have seen tech falls, I understand why tech falls and bonus points are important, and yes I have seen take down drills. In the tournament in question the winning wrestler team was trailing by 100 plus points so bonus points were irrelevant.

One more time for you slow readers, I said I do not object to the take down drills in themselves. Yes, I do contend that what I saw in this match was taunting, poor sportsmanship as evidenced by the unnecessary hard pushes, the sneers, swagger, the sh-t eating grins and giggles. If one wrestler is so much better than his opponent, and bonus points are irrelevant, why not just go out with a stone face and put the opponent away. I saw the match, doubt if more than 2 others here saw it. What I like about HS wrestling is that it teaches humility-or it should-somewhere, sometime someone is going to kick your butt. Perhaps the elite wrestler in this match has not met that someone.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Taunting [Re: WillyM] #225401 02/18/14 01:17 AM
High Water Offline
Bill -

FYI - Sometimes smiling on the mat pisses off the other wrestler to make a mistake. You have know idea. Did you talk to either kid? Most kids are friends off the match. You ASSume way to much. Didn't know you were a mind reader

Also, it is his high school record not yours so don't assume what is relevant or not to him.

Last edited by High Water; 02/18/14 01:37 AM.
Re: Taunting [Re: Beeson] #225402 02/18/14 01:18 AM
WillyM Offline OP
OP Offline

You were pretty negative about this whole topic. You haven't kept your negatives to yourself, even though the majority that have posted on this thread have disagreed with you. Since you do not know all of the strategies that have to do with wrestling, maybe you should keep your negative thoughts about the sport to yourself.

Don't think I was negative about anything this subject this topic. I described what I saw. A lot more negative replies than my post. And as for you, I have been reading your limited and negative crap for 3 years. I am yet to hear much of anything good from you. You have a repeating theme "you got to make them mean, make them tough, coaches should beat them before, during and after practice". And, you aren't doing yourself any good trying to copy Don King.

Have a good day sir.

Bill Mason Lansing
Re: Taunting [Re: WillyM] #225403 02/18/14 01:39 AM
Beeson Offline

Don't think I was negative about anything this subject this topic. I described what I saw. A lot more negative replies than my post. And as for you, I have been reading your limited and negative crap for 3 years. I am yet to hear much of anything good from you. You have a repeating theme "you got to make them mean, make them tough, coaches should beat them before, during and after practice". And, you aren't doing yourself any good trying to copy Don King.

Have a good day sir.

I don't believe you really mean that. At least be honest Bill.

Re: Taunting [Re: Beeson] #225415 02/18/14 03:03 AM
R
Rford Offline
R
I personally cannot stand soccer. Don't know a lot about it. But my niece has been the starting goalie ("keeper?")for Tennessee since her freshman year. We've traveled to see her a few times, I watch her on streaming video when I can because she's family. But it is the most frustrating thing I think I do all year...in my opinion it is a huge waste of youthful energy for very little return. I hope for death, just a little, every time I'm forced to watch it. I cannot bear it. I am starting to wretch involuntarily just thinking about the upcoming season. Go Lady Vols!(please graduate Julie, please).

But that's got nothing to do with any of this and this thread is a good example why its so hard to actually "talk" about the rules on this forum. Some guys just go NUTS over the most minor point. No offense meant to any of you who have demonstrated here that you are unhinged. Its pretty self-evident from your writing. And to disagree with one of you starts a Hatfield and McCoy fight which to me seems a lot more unsportsmanlike than anything I've seen on the mat ever.

But here's the right answer, again. The pushing or shoving might have been unnecessary roughness, or it might have been a form of taunting. That would be a judgment call. The official didn't call it. So that's on the official, not the kid, if it was a bad call. If the wrestler does it, and its not called, you sure can't blame him for continuing to do it.

As many have said--cutting and taking down repeatedly is fine, no rule against it, the case book says its acceptable. Any old timers from Iowa might remember Dan Knight...that is all he did in High School and he was famous in the state. I'm sure many of his opponents were humiliated. They needed to figure out a defense.

As an official, I would have one heck of a time explaining a call for smiling, grinning, sneering, rolling your eyes, or almost any other facial expression. If the kid starts laughing and pointing, speaking, or doing something obviously belittling, then sure, that's something to stop. But this situation seems to be stringing together a bunch of different things, over the course of the match, none of which in and of themselves are illegal, but the perception is the kid was making fun of his opponent. But officials aren't mind readers...the kid has to violate a rule, not some high ideal that we want to place on him. This is the USA in 2014, not England in 1840. We tend to be a bit less civil now than in the past (see posts above).

Did I mention how much I really do not like soccer?

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Derek Patterson), 160 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
bvswwrestling, CoachFitzOS, Dluce, Shawn Russell, CorbinPickerill
12302 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,948
Posts250,380
Members12,302
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)