Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #226273 02/25/14 08:32 PM
RJW1 Offline
Hard for me to believe that FHSU cannot request to not have a home game on the weekend of 321A state wrestling. Anyway, I don't care if its FHSU's fault or the MIAA's fault! KSHSAA should pull the plug on state wrestling in Hays! This is seriously hard for me to say as an FHSU alum, but FHSU no longer deserves to host 321A state wrestling! More importantly, the kids who qualified for State deserve better!

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: RJW1] #226277 02/25/14 08:47 PM
D
Doug Ray Offline
D
As a coach that has been to every state tournament in Hays since 2001 (with the exception of Wichita in 2002 I believe) I totally agree with Mr. Mann and Mr. Williams thoughts and comments. Every year the hospitality shown towards the competing teams has declined! And I myself am also an FHSU grad, and I have numerous friends that are involved with hosting this, but when is enough enough? It's tough to think that someday FHSU will no longer have the opportunity to host this awesome event because they just "don't care".

Last edited by Doug Ray; 02/26/14 02:34 AM.
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: GregMann] #226278 02/25/14 08:53 PM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline
W
Originally Posted By: GregMann
#2. lets beat some more dead horses:
A. find a venue that can accommodate a combined tournament; leads us to dead horse argument
B. . .too many classes, which will somehow lead us to
C crappy officiating.

Discuss

I think it should go A) Too many classes so B)cant find a venue to combine tournament, and C)all the good refs are tied up because of at two many state tournaments resulting in crappy officiating.

"If pro is the opposite on con, then the opposite of progress is congress"
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #226279 02/25/14 09:01 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
And again, fan o' sport. . . all three dead horses in whatever order. . . but, by all means, flail away.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: GregMann] #226284 02/25/14 09:37 PM
Cokeley Offline
A. Downsize 5A and 6A to 25% just like 4A and closer to 321A that will permit better planning options for a one venue tournament.

B. See A although I would like to see 48, 64, the rest...

C. One site would lead to the need for fewer officials but absent a grading or evaluation system we could still end up with the good ole boys no matter how old, out of shape, and blind they are.

D. The Kansas wrestling fans absolutely DESERVE a single site state tournament so that we can ALL watch the kids we have been watching since they were in grade school. USAWKS finds a way so why can't KSHSAA???

How is that for some flailing Greg?

Last edited by Cokeley; 02/26/14 04:06 AM.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: Cokeley] #226290 02/25/14 09:53 PM
W
Westkan11 Offline
W
Agreed. Walk away from Hays for a year or two and see if they learn to appreciate it.

Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: Westkan11] #226293 02/25/14 10:02 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Will, flail away 'til your arms are too tired to flail any longer.

We all know all.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: GregMann] #226324 02/26/14 12:16 AM
D
Dylan Campbell Offline
D
I watched my heros wrestle in Hays, won titles in Hays, and coached champions in Hays. Gross Memorial is hallowed ground for me and I'm ready to leave. Maybe when they realize that an event that pulls in $1 million plus in consumer spending is more of a "priority" to the community than a basketball game they'll ask to have us back. We've had to work around their schedule for the last 3-4 years and enough is enough.

Dylan Campbell
Oakley, KS
dylan.cia@hotmail.com
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: GregMann] #226343 02/26/14 01:55 AM
C
Chiefs Offline
C
Just my two cents, which doesn't buy two cents worth of anything.

I think most on here know of my great desire for keeping the 321A Wrestling Tournament in Western Kansas, and preferably as close to the "heart and home of Kansas Wrestling" (NW Kansas) as is possible.

Unfortunately, I agree with Mr. Williams.

Current FHSU administration has demonstrated over the past few years a rather "cavalier" attitude towards hosting high school events, events they know the dates of years in advance; and this extends to not just State Wrestling. They have requested and received schedule changes for 1A State VB & BB, and have messed around with our MCL BB Tournament to the point we will not be returning beginning next year. I DO understand when big, once-in-a-while events come along, such as the opportunity they had two or three years ago to host a NCAA-II Regional national qualifying tournament. But, for a regular season BB game? Really?

There was a time that FHSU believed getting high school aged kids on campus was important and was a great recruiting tool for their school. I no longer believe they see Kansas High School students as being valuable. Their expanding overseas enrollment and online programs have made dealing with and being nice to high school kids just a pain in their butt. We (the MCL) have been told we cost them too much money (FHSU received around $7000 from this year's MCL BB tournament, NOT including concessions) and our tournament is "no longer a priority" for them.

I have communicated to Mr. Lentz my frustration with Fort Hays' attitude. I know losing the MCL BB tournament will not shake up the Hays business community much since we don't purchase motel rooms. . . but the possibility of losing state tournament(s) and with it the motel rooms. meals at restaurants, shopping that is done over those two to three days and fuel should send a real message to Fort Hays administration through the Hays business community.

I have suggested to Mr. Lentz that the KSHSAA consider the Dodge City Convention Center as a replacement venue for FHSU.

I believe you hit the nail on the head with this comment. I'm going to go a step further and call it China money. That appears to be all that matters to FHSU anymore. They have definitely been headed in a different direction over the past several years and as sad as it is to say I believe 321A wrestling (And State BB & VB) needs to do the same.

Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: Chiefs] #226347 02/26/14 02:14 AM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
One nail missed. Lentz has NO power. Musselman is the bully on the block. Lentz does what he's told. And unfortunately Musselman doesn't care what you think as long as he's getting his pay. Look at the progress of Ks. wrestling under his seniority as exhibit A.

Last edited by PatrickCavanaugh; 02/26/14 02:22 AM. Reason: grammar

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #226350 02/26/14 02:37 AM
C
Chiefs Offline
C

Here is an article posted in March of last year discussing some of the issues.

Hays Daily News

Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #226355 02/26/14 02:47 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Patrick, you are correct that Mr. Lentz cannot make such a decision on his own. I know Gary pretty well from professional dealings and I am sure he would not make such a decision unilaterally. He would seek nput from the field and/or his executive board. But, complaining to the guy who IS in charge of the state wrestling series seems to be reasonable place to start.

I am guessing if more than a few KSHSAA members contacted him with the same concern he would take it on up the command chain of the KSHSAA.

Mr. Lentz will be in Hays this weekend, either Friday or Saturday. If you believe FHSU no longer treats KSHSAA championships as marquee events, respectfully let him know of your unhappiness.

The KSHSAA comes in for a lot of bashing on this board, some justified, but a lot, not. When there is no finite standard with which to measure, progress, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Seeing or not seeing progress is often the result of one's own tunnel view of events.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: Chiefs] #226356 02/26/14 02:50 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
the article is pay to read.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: GregMann] #226358 02/26/14 03:00 AM
ReDPloyd Offline
The only time I watched the High School State Tournament at the Fort Hays Coliseum was when one of my older brothers wrestled there his Senior year. I thought it was awesome. The two years I wrestled at State in 4A we wrestled at Russell and Abilene in their high school gyms (nothing against them, just wasn't a State caliber atmosphere). You talk about a let down. Heck, my son got to wrestle in the Bicentennial Center and the Kansas Expocentre before he even wrestled in high school. They should appreciate what they have to offer and make an effort to give other young wrestlers memories that they will never forget.

Lee Girard
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: GregMann] #226360 02/26/14 03:06 AM
RJW1 Offline
After reading that article, I get the feeling that FHSU no longer wants to host the events but doesn't want to make the unpopular move of turning KSHSAA away. Looks to me like their approach is to make it a pain in the ass so KSHSAA pulls the plug and is the "bad guy!" Well, I say pull the plug and publicize why! Go to a place that respects our student-athletes!!

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: GregMann] #226365 02/26/14 03:14 AM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Patrick, you are correct that Mr. Lentz cannot make such a decision on his own. I know Gary pretty well from professional dealings and I am sure he would not make such a decision unilaterally. He would seek nput from the field and/or his executive board. But, complaining to the guy who IS in charge of the state wrestling series seems to be reasonable place to start.

I am guessing if more than a few KSHSAA members contacted him with the same concern he would take it on up the command chain of the KSHSAA.

Mr. Lentz will be in Hays this weekend, either Friday or Saturday. If you believe FHSU no longer treats KSHSAA championships as marquee events, respectfully let him know of your unhappiness.

The KSHSAA comes in for a lot of bashing on this board, some justified, but a lot, not. When there is no finite standard with which to measure, progress, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Seeing or not seeing progress is often the result of one's own tunnel view of events.

outstanding Greg. Where is the progress in your eyes? With out tunnel view? Where is ks wrestling or any other sport in Kansas better off now then when Gary Musselman took the helm?

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #226372 02/26/14 03:39 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
I am not the one complaining about "progress" or the lack thereof, so define your terms. I am guessing that no matter what Musselman did it would not be "progressive" enough.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: RJW1] #226373 02/26/14 03:41 AM
G
GregMann Offline
G
I think FHSU would have hell to pay with the Hays Tourism and Convention Bureau if they turned the KSHSAA away!

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: GregMann] #226396 02/26/14 03:00 PM
C
Chiefs Offline
C
Here is the article copy and pasted.

FHSU airs concerns about tourney revenue
3/2/2013
By RANDY GONZALES

rgonzales@dailynews.net

Fort Hays State University President Edward H. Hammond hopes to meet with Kansas State High School Activities Association Executive Director Gary Musselman sometime this spring to discuss the school's involvement with state tournaments.

Hammond said in an interview Friday the school still wants to host state volleyball, football, wrestling and basketball, but something must be done to alleviate costs associated with those events.

"Primarily, we need to talk about how we continue to provide them the facilities they need in a way that's a win-win environment," Hammond said. "They've made some decisions at the Kansas High School Activities Association to make some changes in the schedule and have negatively impacted the revenues we have been able to generate from the tournaments."

FHSU hosts the Class 1A, Division II state volleyball tourney, the Class 2-1A state football championship game, the Class 3-2-1A state wrestling tournament and the Class 1A, Division II state basketball tourney, which starts Wednesday at Gross Memorial Coliseum.

Class 1A was divided into Division I and Division II for basketball and volleyball starting with the 2010-11 school year. Division II teams, which come from the smallest schools in the state, were assigned to play their state tournaments in Hays. That is about the time when FHSU Athletic Director Curtis Hammeke started noticing a decline in revenue.

Musselman said KSHSAA has not received a proposal from a member school to re-unify Class 1A. That would help FHSU, Hammond said.

"We'd draw better crowds, and it makes it more worthwhile for us to do it, rather than have the very small crowds we have," Hammond said. "All these events are a money-maker for (KSHSAA), the community makes money out of it, but it costs us money."

When asked if the state events still were making money for his department, Hammeke said "it depends on what all you consider."

"Football runs in the red," Hammeke said. "If you take all the expenses into account, you're not making money. I don't know if we're making any money if you take the facilities and the lights and all that."

The most recent FHSU study estimating the state tournaments' economic impact for the city of Hays came out last year. For the four state events, the combined financial impact is $1,628,370. Those figures do not take into account fans who make day trips to state events and do not stay overnight.

FHSU receives all concession income from state events, and receives 20 percent of ticket sales. FHSU for the last several years also has added a $1 surcharge on every adult ticket; most of the other state sites do not do that. The university also receives a share of the sale of souvenir T-shirts.

Hammeke had a meeting with Hays City Manager Toby Dougherty in the spring of 2012 to inform him of the financial difficulties the university's athletic department was experiencing with state events.

Hammeke planned to meet with Dougherty again in the fall about asking for financial assistance from the city for hosting the tournaments, but that meeting has yet to take place.

Hammeke and Hammond planned to meet with Musselman in December, but the meeting was canceled due to inclement weather. Hammond wants to talk with KSHSAA staff about the athletic department's financial concerns before approaching the city.

"I think that's where we start," he said. "I think we need to pursue that discussion with (KSHSAA) before we turn around and have a discussion with the city."

Musselman said he "would be certainly happy" to meet with FHSU officials.

"We're very appreciative of Hays, Fort Hays State and the athletic department," Musselman said. "We certainly want to work at ways to continue that."

Hammond, aware of the tournaments' impact for the city of Hays, is seeking to find a way to break even or run the events at a minimal loss.

"First of all, our objective is to keep the tournaments in town," Hammond said. "The amount of loss, it was there two years ago, but it was small, it wasn't an issue. But now, it's getting bigger and bigger.

"Our No. 1 priority is to continue to host the events. Our No. 2 priority is to do it on a break-even basis."

Re: State Wrestling General Info. question [Re: Chiefs] #226399 02/26/14 03:22 PM
G
GregMann Offline
G
Cheifs, Thanks for providing the article.

I would submit that some of the drop off in attendance has been due to messing with schedules to accommodate FHSU activities. I would also submit that part of the drop off is due to increased ticket prices. And finally, I would submit part of the cause is the proliferation of live video options.

But, again, if it is such a pain to bring $1.63 million dollars to their community on an annual basis, lets look at other options.

If there are none, we can just continue to bend over.

Greg Mann
Manhattan, KS
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Derek Patterson), 133 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,939
Posts250,371
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)