Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Middle School State Refs #228359 03/18/14 02:40 AM
M
M Fisher Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have never experienced a WORSE group of refs. I apologize, but I don't know their names. Aside from the head ref (very good), the very tall ref that reminds me of Cael Sanderson (very good), and the middle-aged ref that coaches college matches (very good), the others refs have a looooong way to go.

In a finals match, I asked for justification on a takedown call and wanted to speak to the head ref (which as a coach I have the right to do). A referee (who was NOT the ref of the match) stepped in and took 100% control, and told me to GET OFF THE MAT, and that it WAS NOT a take down. Really? He was NOT the ref of the match, NOR did he or the ref of the match go get the HEAD REF per my request. I have NEVER witnessed a more ARROGANT ref in all the years of my coaching, and I have witnessed numerous. Again, I apologize because I do not know names, but he is the half white/black ref, probably 35ish years old. Unbelievably arrogant. Wow.

Max Fisher
Kansas Young Guns
316-655-5750

Last edited by M Fisher; 03/18/14 02:43 AM.
Re: Middle School State Refs [Re: M Fisher] #228361 03/18/14 03:57 AM
Cokeley Offline
Each year we try to assign officials to this event that were NOT utilized at a HS state tournament. We have to continue to offer opportunities to younger officials and cultivate the next generation of on the mat arbiters.

I like to have a head official that does NOT work a mat so that a request can be made for a more experienced official may offer insight. In most cases it will be a judgment call but in some the junior official may need some assistance with the rules.

I wasn't there this year but I do not condone officials who are not the head official involving themselves in decisions that should be made by the official on the whistle. The ONLY time this is acceptable is if two man mechanics are being used. My question to the official in this case would be "If you witness an official blowing a call when you are a mere observer, are you going to interrupt the match and ask the whistle to overturn his/her decision?"

Max, I am guessing you didn't go to the 5A/6A KSHSAA state tournament this year or there is NO WAY you would have made your opening statement. smile Remember we have to develop officials too.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Middle School State Refs [Re: Cokeley] #228390 03/18/14 03:43 PM
J
jule Offline
J
I was in the 115 to 250 gym. The officials in there seemed very professional. They were not perfect but didn't see any coach real upset. Overall in that gym I thought they did a great job. It is to bad you had that experience.

Re: Middle School State Refs [Re: jule] #228418 03/19/14 12:19 AM
R
Rob Hayes Offline
R
Max I know the official in question and he is a high school official with a very large chip on his shoulder. And we are talking about poor officials he would be in the top 5 on my list.

Re: Middle School State Refs [Re: Rob Hayes] #228513 03/20/14 03:48 AM
DingusKahn Offline
Well I would like to say my son had the older gentleman for every match he wrestled that day and that guy did a phenomenal job!! I'm not sure if he was the Head Official but he was very professional and proficient...his matches ran smoothly and let the young men wrestle and involved himself minimally except when necessary!! Sorry you guys had bad experiences but so often the good ones are not praised (except the couple you mentioned in your opening statement)!! Best tournament experience I have had this season as a coach or an official!!

Integrity is doing the right thing even when nobody is looking!!

Chris Walters
Re: Middle School State Refs [Re: DingusKahn] #228560 03/20/14 06:43 PM
C
CWB Offline
C
I am with you Chris. Even when I pushed for two,i got no greef from it at all. After the match the gentleman walked over and stated why it was not two.Than stated it was one I should have pushed for. As he stated coaches should push for any close two,or one for that matter.

Charles Bradford

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Coach Burgess), 115 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,928
Posts250,357
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)