Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Cokeley] #229400 04/03/14 04:06 PM
J
Jeremy Molloy Offline
J
So a highschool coach who doesn't have his bronze card will be required to go sit thru and pay for the scam of getting his bronze card then have to pay for his background check and pay for his usa coaches card? Like Jerry Dale says it is all about money. Highschool coaches have enough to deal with they shouldn't have to jump thru hoops to coach their athletes.

Jeremy Molloy
Derby Wrestling
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Jeremy Molloy] #229403 04/03/14 04:20 PM
Travis Phippen Offline
I would hope most high school coaches have already jumped through those hoops to coach their kids during the summer.

Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Jeremy Molloy] #229443 04/04/14 03:57 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Jeremy Molloy
So a highschool coach who doesn't have his bronze card will be required to go sit thru and pay for the scam of getting his bronze card then have to pay for his background check and pay for his usa coaches card? Like Jerry Dale says it is all about money. Highschool coaches have enough to deal with they shouldn't have to jump thru hoops to coach their athletes.

USA wrestling is the National Governing Body for wrestling in the US. There are benefits when you become a member. Do you belong to the KWCA? Is paying for that membership a SCAM too? Coach Malloy, I take great exception with two things you have stated in your post.

SCAM - You are never too old or experienced to not be able to learn something new and perhaps you would in the Bronze class.

"THEIR ATHLETES" - So because a wrestler attends your high school and wrestles there they automatically are that coach's property?? It is a privilege to have a wrestler to want you to coach them.

KSHSAA will restrict any coaching by a HS coach for their own athlete unless that wrestler is a senior.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Coach Beck] #229444 04/04/14 03:59 PM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Coach Beck
I completely agree with Beeson. If we want our athletes to be the best, we need them to witness what the best looks like. The NCAA Division 1 tournament is the pinacle of our folkstyle sport, and our kids need to be able to see what that entails. We all know also that watching it on tv doesn't remotely cover all that the tournament consits of. Athletes at the kids and high school levels are awestruck when they enter thier respective state arenas. Even attending the NCAA tournament (or Fargo for that matter) will bring that level of awe to a level of context. The tournament is a manageable car ride 3 of the next 5 or so years in STL, and we need to give our athletes the option of attending. Football doesnt schedule games on superbowl weekend that I'm aware of, why are we? I could be hijacking this post, but it's something to look at, SOON. I would also be VERY supportive of just going back to back weekends for districts and state to get all of the kids done before the majority of spring breaks, and allow those dedicated to all styles either a break, or more training before the Frestyle/Greco season begins.

One of the benefits I hope to achieve from this tournament is to provide it as a BETTER alternative for our HS wrestlers so they don't have to be concerned about wrestling in the Kids series... I want to make it the BEST choice. Let the market determine what works best. I agree with all that you have said about the NCAA's and there are several of us on a mission to end the state series for ALL age groups before the NCAA's and spring break.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Cokeley] #229447 04/04/14 04:39 PM
V
Vandeventer Offline
V
I just wish all the different entities would recognize one another's background checks. Did one for Cal Ripken more than once, did the one for USA wrestling a few times, did one through the FBI or KBI for teaching. I don't mind paying the membership fees it is just all the hoops you have to jump through. But, this tournament is a great idea. Would love to see it happen. One question. Would you be breaking any KSHSSA rules if you only had a handful of kids that wanted to participate so you had them go practice in one central location with other HS kids in the area. Say OZ, Paola, Prairie View, Louisburg etc all met at Paola and practiced? I would hope not.

Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Vandeventer] #229451 04/04/14 05:13 PM
C
Coach Beck Offline
C
Will, you know I'm in favor of whatever makes our state stronger.
This tournament is a far better option than prolonging the HS season and keeping our FS/GR season at a disadvantage. Let me know what I can do to help with the change in the kids shedule as well. I think that would be a large and very benefitial step for us.

Jacob Beck
Head Wrestling Coach
Leavenworth High School Pioneers
@LVPioneerWrest
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Vandeventer] #229467 04/04/14 09:33 PM
R
RichardDSalyer Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Vandeventer
One question. Would you be breaking any KSHSSA rules if you only had a handful of kids that wanted to participate so you had them go practice in one central location with other HS kids in the area. Say OZ, Paola, Prairie View, Louisburg etc all met at Paola and practiced? I would hope not.
No, after the conclusion of the KSHSAA wrestling season there is no rule violation for any wrestler practicing at or in any other high school wrestling room.

Richard D. Salyer
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Cokeley] #229509 04/05/14 05:15 PM
J
Jeremy Molloy Offline
J
Will, it is Molloy not Malloy and no I do not belong to the KWCA I don't have any reason to pay to be a member.You are correct a person is never to old or experienced to learn something new. I have taken the bronze class and it is absolutely 100% only about money. you are the only person that I have ever heard say it is not so you are in the minority. If you really think that I was saying athletes are the property of their coaches well you can read into it what you want that is not what I meant and I think you know that and I do agree with your statement it is a privilage to have a wrestler want you to coach them. We both agree on the KSHSAA restrictions but if a senior wrestler wants his HS coach to coach them that coach may have to jump through alot of hoops and dish out MONEY and time to take a class so that they can coach. Good luck with getting this tourny going I do hope it is a success.

Jeremy Molloy
Derby Wrestling
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Jeremy Molloy] #229514 04/05/14 06:54 PM
usawks1 Offline
I let this go but now, I must chime in! Jeremy, you took your Bronze Clinic from me!

What did you get? A book and workbook that might have a value of $20 ... a shirt or a hat and dvd, value at least $20 ... and also a presentation. You might contend that there was no value in 6-7 hours of instruction. But I feel, that it is you that is expressing a minority opinion!

I have been privileged to have many HS Coaches and College Coaches attend the Bronze clinic. Most of those have made a point to come to me share with me, that they got a lot from the clinic! In fact I had 8 HS coaches this past Thursday that were very happy that USAW required them to take the clinic.

There are some hurdles for a HS coach wanting to coach USAW. Just as there exist challenges the other way around! An Olympic wrestling champ would have to be Rule 10 qualified or a certified teacher if he wished to coach!

Walter V does make sense in his assessment! I wish we did share each others background checks!

But this is America! You are entitled to your opinion. But I am entitled to mine.

There is tremendous value in the Bronze Coaches clinic!! I believe more HS Coaches should take it!!

Are you making a POSITIVE difference in the life of kids?

Randy Hinderliter
USAW Kansas
KWCA Rep/Coaches Liaison
Ottawa University Volunteer Assistant
Re: Grand State substitute... [Re: Jeremy Molloy] #229552 04/07/14 06:44 AM
Cokeley Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Jeremy Molloy
Will, it is Molloy not Malloy and no I do not belong to the KWCA I don't have any reason to pay to be a member.You are correct a person is never to old or experienced to learn something new. I have taken the bronze class and it is absolutely 100% only about money. you are the only person that I have ever heard say it is not so you are in the minority. If you really think that I was saying athletes are the property of their coaches well you can read into it what you want that is not what I meant and I think you know that and I do agree with your statement it is a privilage to have a wrestler want you to coach them. We both agree on the KSHSAA restrictions but if a senior wrestler wants his HS coach to coach them that coach may have to jump through alot of hoops and dish out MONEY and time to take a class so that they can coach. Good luck with getting this tourny going I do hope it is a success.

Coach, sorry about misspelling your name. I am sorry to hear you are not a member of the KWCA. The primary issue with getting things changed is that fact that a greater percentage of our high school coaches are not members. When you don't even have a majority of head coaches in your organization it is difficult to get the ear of KSHSAA.

A far as USA wrestling is concerned...the Bronze Card and background checks are all about CYA not profit. Litigation and the increasing focus on blaming the organization not the individual when it comes to the pursuit of a civil remedy, has led to organizations having to make a serious effort at curtailing the number of bad apples that sneak their way into the basket. It is NOT about the profit. It is about insuring against the losing of a nasty lawsuit.

Have you ever been to Va Beach??? I believe it is $100 to get a coaching card and access to the corner there... Brute is very expensive as well. How much do people pay to watch just ONE Chief's game? It costs money to have a successful organization. If the majority think that paying ONE time for a bronze card, $17 every other year for a background check and $35 for a coach/membership card to USA wrestling then they really are not passionate wrestling supporters. Calling it a scam is not ok in my book.

I might be in the minority but that is just like common sense, it isn't very common any longer. wink

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 143 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,934
Posts250,365
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)