Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Carpetbaggers #228590 03/21/14 01:06 PM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
How many of you are in favor of allowing Oklahoma kids in our State Series?

How many of you are in favor of allowing Missouri kids in our State Series?

How many of you are in favor of allowing Colorado kids in our State Series?

How many of you are in favor of allowing Nebraska Kids in our State Series?

For those of you that are against this I have one more question.

Why are we allowing kids that are in one district to wrestle for clubs in another district?

This needs to be changed. Allowing kids to jump district lines to wrestle for a club in another district is ridiculous. Everyone always says that the main goal of Kansas Wrestling is to provide opportunity for kids. When you allow kids from one district to participate in another district qualifier they are taking opportunity away from the kids in the district that live there.

This needs to be addressed this year and fixed.

Unnecessary Roughness is Necessary
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: Beeson] #228598 03/21/14 02:02 PM
J
Joe Knecht Offline
J
I agree with your points but the answer may not be as easy as it may seem. Some points to consider:

How would your assigned district as a participant be defined?

Is it based on where you live? Should it be the same as how we define teams w/in a district? If so what if you want to change teams? This last one is the crux of the issue.

Maybe you have to be with your "team" for a certain period of time to be allowed in District X qualifier? We could see about getting the assigned district added & validity date to the label for our USA cards. To change that assignment we'd have to have a process for updating that and have a date associated with it on the card so it's easy to validate.

You have valid points which warrants further discussion.

Joe Knecht
(913) 709-9875
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: Joe Knecht] #228599 03/21/14 02:16 PM
M
meb Offline
M
What if they don't have any kids similar to your child's size and weight in the club? What if the club in your district has vastly different ideas than yours on what should be taught to the wrestlers? What if you can't get along with the coach that is near you? There are hundreds of reasons why you should be allowed to travel to another district, join the club and wrestle.

We have been with the same club, which is not in our district, for 3 years. We love the coaching, the club and the kids in the room. There is no reason why we should tell people they aren't allowed to travel to another another district and join a club if they want to. This is America!!! Freedom of choice!!!! You can go to a different school if you want to. Why not a different wrestling club?

Your last point says that wrestling is to provide opportunity for kids....How is telling them that they can only wrestle for clubs in their district increasing their opportunities? It is limiting them.

Mary

Last edited by meb; 03/21/14 02:19 PM.
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: meb] #228606 03/21/14 02:51 PM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
The districts are supposed to be divided by numbers, which needs to be adjusted but that is another subject. If you think that your district is too tough and your child will not qualify for state then you go to another district. Now one District has more kids in it but less competition. The kids that could be going on to state in their home district are now not moving on because kids from other districts are saturating the District.

Mary, their are kids in Oklahoma, Missouri, Nebraska and Colorado that would love to come to Kansas and compete. Are you for that as well? They will come up with "hundreds of reasons why you should be allowed to travel to another state, join the club and wrestle." Still doesn't make it right.

These super clubs that have kids wrestling for them that are 3 and 4 hours away do not have the kids best interest at heart. They are hiring guns, recruiting, or whatever you want to call it so that they can get a trophy. It has nothing to do with the kids.

Last edited by Beeson; 03/21/14 02:52 PM.

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: Beeson] #228608 03/21/14 02:57 PM
B
Bones1768 Offline
B
What super clubs are you talking about. I know that east Kansas is not what it used to be.

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: Bones1768] #228609 03/21/14 03:12 PM
DingusKahn Offline
Is this going to disallow wrestlers to attend practices with teams such as Purler in MO? Are we talking about not allowing kids that practice with teams outside of the state to wrestle in KS if they live in KS? What if one parent lives in MO/NE/OK and one in KS? What if the closest team to your home is across the state line? There are many factors that play into where a wrestler practices at...in the end though I feel the place of residence should be used to determine which district they wrestle in...its a youth sport folks...let them step on the mat where they are and try to move on...I am just as irritated as the next guy that some districts can't even fill a bracket but that's geography folks...

This sport is supposed to help build discipline and teach sportsmanship...I don't have a problem practicing with other clubs but when the postseason begins then I feel wrestlers should stay in their districts...

Here's another question for ya...why does Kansas require wrestlers to belong to a club for the postseason...they can wrestle independent all year long but when subs comes along they are required to declare a club?

Integrity is doing the right thing even when nobody is looking!!

Chris Walters
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: Bones1768] #228610 03/21/14 03:14 PM
J. Dale Offline
But what if my kid wrestles for Team A and all their kids eat boogers at practice and my kid doesn't eat boogers so he wants to wrestle for Team B since they are booger free. Now I've got a dilemma on my hands.

Well you're just a special kind of stupid aren't you?
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: DingusKahn] #228612 03/21/14 03:18 PM
J
jule Offline
J
Beeson, you had me interested after doing some looking. I found a kid that wrestled under 3 different clubs this year. One being out of state plus wrestling unattached at one tournament. Now for subs he is in a different district. Makes me wonder. Stay in your district or your state. Two years ago that is what we told the boys from Oklahoma that wrestled for Hugoton.

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: jule] #228614 03/21/14 03:21 PM
in it to win it Offline
Team B just sharts.
Team A -- Boogers
Team B --Farts & Sharts
Choices, choices!

In it to win it.
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: in it to win it] #228617 03/21/14 03:43 PM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
I could give a shart and two boogers of a care less where you practice, who you practice with, or where you go to make yourselves better.

What I do care about is clubs recruiting kids from 2 or three hours away to wrestle for their team so they can win a Kids State Championship Team trophy. If the kid is in your room every practice and drives two hours both ways every night have fun. But if he has only practiced once all year and lives in another district, NO WAY! It all has to do with doing what is right. Be ethical in the decisions that are made concerning your clubs. That is all I am asking.

Last edited by Beeson; 03/22/14 05:18 AM.

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: Beeson] #228618 03/21/14 03:51 PM
J. Dale Offline
What about starting a club in one town and using the address of someone you know 2 hours away so that you can wrestle in that district. I've heard of that happening too. And that's without eating boogers.

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: Beeson] #228619 03/21/14 03:52 PM
in it to win it Offline
You speak with Integrity which should be a cornerstone of all kids club coach's and parents!

In it to win it.
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: in it to win it] #228620 03/21/14 04:04 PM
J. Dale Offline
Several years ago when we started our club I was ask which district we were going to wrestle in. I lived in D3 but we practiced in D2. I told everyone involved that we practiced in this district, we will wrestle qualifiers in this district which at the time was the toughest in the state. I don't know about now but it was then. But then again it was kind of a given that you should use integrity which I think is getting harder to find. I have actually seen clubs that didn't want to weigh their own kids in for the home tournament. Mysteriously when this was going on several kids who had parents in positions of power dropped 2 weight classes. You would like to think that people would be honest but in all reality in today's society that some people will if given the chance cheat. Whether it's on what district they qualify in, weighing in, whether their kid is really novice, whatever it is some people will cheat. It has become an all about my kid society.

Oh and I forgot. BOOGERS

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: J. Dale] #228623 03/21/14 06:17 PM
J
Jack Otero Offline
J

Last edited by Jack Otero; 03/23/14 05:54 PM.

To be the man, you got to beat the MAN!!
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: Beeson] #228625 03/21/14 06:32 PM
M
meb Offline
M
No, I don't believe kids from out of state should be able to come to Kansas and compete in our state tournament. I also don't think you should switch clubs right before the Sub District tournament. I did not realize people did that. I do believe that at the start of the wrestling season, you should be able to join whichever club you see fit. I suppose, at the end of the season, you could make the kid go to the Sub District tournament where they have their residence and find some other coach to coach them if you think that would be more "fair".

Mary

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: meb] #228645 03/22/14 04:10 AM
B
bockman Offline
B
oh i just sharted in my pants. ate some boogers and still dont know what all the crying is all about. let get ready to rumble. let the kids have the best time of their lives. some parents just need to drink a beer and sit in the stands and shut the hell up.

Scott Bockover
Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: bockman] #228646 03/22/14 05:08 AM
Beeson Offline OP
OP Offline
That is the wrong attitude. Crying? Drinking beer in the stands? You may be part of the problem. Aren't you the guy that was bragging about his club only taking 20 kids so they could get 2 on 1 coaching? Now you have over 100 kids in your club and several from other districts. Five years ago everyone was complaining about East Kansas, you have now become that club.

Last edited by Beeson; 03/22/14 05:23 AM.

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: Beeson] #228654 03/22/14 12:12 PM
T
THE-RYLANTS Offline
T
I say these are all kids who love to wrestle. To each his own. We all make choices for our kids based on what WE feel is right! If one does not like a certain club then .....don't wrestle for them. This is March madness time for wrestlers so let's just wrestle! Good luck to all the kids wrestling their heart outs for who ever where ever! Stop the drama! It is called kansas kids wrestling because it is about the kids! When we loose sight of this wrestling suffers!

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: THE-RYLANTS] #228676 03/23/14 02:37 AM
J
John Johnson Offline
J
America was built on the idea of free choice. Why should I be limited on where my kid wrestles based upon where my house is. Everyone (except that guy from Manhattan) defends St James when they are accused of recruiting. Also, I believe Ark City has had some really nice 'move in's'. SO What. If the concept is ok for High School, what is the big deal with Kids Club???? Wrestling is based upon beating the kid in front of you, no matter where they came from or for that matter what sex they are. In other words, I do not care if the kid is from California, if they attend practice with a Kansas club, go to Kansas tourneys, and have a Kansas card, they should be able to wrestle in our state series. Using a State, County, or district boundary to win a match, is just not what wrestling is about.

You know, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but Drew Daniels lived in Kansas, but attended Rockhurst HS. He wrestled in the MO High School State series and kids series. But, he once wrestled in Kansas for Freestyle/Greco. Missouri parents never complained about it...please do not tell me we cry more then the Missouri people.

And, I do not drink beer in the stands, I prefer to go to the car and drink out of the cooler in the trunk...and if you ever saw my son wrestle, you would understand why I drink....

Chad, you have too many good comments on here to get into trying to create new rules that limit a parent's freedom.

Re: Carpetbaggers [Re: John Johnson] #228680 03/23/14 11:50 AM
L
love2wrestle Offline
L
As for the home school thing....we homeschooled a couple years ago for a semester due to a move and in order to re-enroll in a public school we just had to test in order to determine what grade we were in. You also have to factor in whether or not the accepting school will take the credits you have received in the homeschool. So it really depends on several factors whether this kid in question would be a freshmen or a sophmore next year. I don't think it is sketchy at all....it sounds like personal business with this kid. I know it is a very messy process to count credits, etc. If he does indeed have to repeat his freshman year so what. Are we going to go through and check to see how many other kids are passing or failing? Are we going to require grade card checks? I know there are lots of kids that end up having to repeat a grade. We are crossing the line here, I believe. The kid is a homeschooled freshman wrestling high school division...Where is the problem?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 93 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,932
Posts250,363
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)