Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
WHO FIXES THIS #233274 01/30/15 02:54 AM
G
GNR Offline OP
OP Offline
G
This is something that just has baffled me for along time with not only our sport but with our state in general, so please someone either enlighten me or fix the issue!
OK, how is it one kid at a school cant have any failing grades in order to compete when his competition can have 2 or maybe 3 depending on the school? How can one school say a you have to have a 93% for an A, while another is a 90%? So one kid gets a 92 and gets a 3.0 and no scholarships, while the other kid gets a 92 and gets a 4.0 and gets all the money! One kid gets 6 six 62 percent's and wrestles to a state title and one kid gets a 62 and doesn't wrestle at all.
Its amazing to me! The diploma is the same! It doesn't come with an Atta boy or an asterisk. How can we have two different sets of rules for the same accomplishments or standards. Please how come this is not a standard and why has it not ever been addressed!

Re: WHO FIXES THIS [Re: GNR] #233277 01/30/15 03:32 AM
H
Harry L. LaMar Offline
H
Gnr do you want the state government deciding what is important at your school or do you want your own community to decide. I for one don't want the government setting our local rules. Our kids went to silver lake because we liked the standards there and held them accountable for those standards. There are soooo many differences in each high school and that is why folks migrate to certain schools.

It’s a great day to be alive
Re: WHO FIXES THIS [Re: Harry L. LaMar] #233278 01/30/15 04:26 AM
C
CWB Offline
C
Even if the kid gets a good grade in a ok school,that will not set him/her up for college.If he/she gets a good grade in a great/hard school they will do well in collage.Big fish little pond-big fish in big pond,so to speak.
We here in our home set the standards higher than most ever will.Wife and I will give all to make sure our kids learn/work and push. We drive our son 40 mile to school to do that.Yes there are closer schools but not better.
Charles

Re: WHO FIXES THIS [Re: CWB] #233283 01/30/15 01:17 PM
E
Ex Heights Coach Offline
E
There are even differences between sports at the same school depending upon the policy of the head coach.

C. Dee Gard

Re: WHO FIXES THIS [Re: Ex Heights Coach] #233284 01/30/15 02:44 PM
D
DamonParker Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Ex Heights Coach
There are even differences between sports at the same school depending upon the policy of the head coach.

C. Dee Gard

Agreed. I don't know what the answer is to the OP is, but at Rural we have a different policy for the wrestling team than every other sport. If a kid is failing a class (anything below 70% at Rural) he serves up to one week of hard time on the "poop list" after practice. If after a week he still isn't passing the class, he doesn't practice until he's passing, and those dates go down as unexcused absences. On the second UE he's done. We have only lost two kids this year because of this policy. It really lights a fire under kids that are struggling. Some parents question our more stringent policy at first, but when they see how successful the policy is and how we're holding our kids to a higher standard than the basketball players (shouldn't we??), they are all-in.

The fact that girls are forced to wrestle at state in the middle of the week is laughably sexist.
Re: WHO FIXES THIS [Re: DamonParker] #233290 01/30/15 05:51 PM
REVOLUTION Offline
It is always more important for a student to graduate than compete. If that means doing something to try to make him focus on the real goal then do it. Athletics is still a privilege not a right.
Last year I held all but one wrestler out of all competition (varsity & JV) over the weekend. Most were not failing by the next weekend. After that incident our school board put weekly eligibility in place for all sports this fall.

COWBOY UP!
Re: WHO FIXES THIS [Re: REVOLUTION] #233301 01/30/15 10:56 PM
S
Spexy Offline
S
Answer to who fixes this. Nobody.
Each school has their own set of grading criteria. Most Catholic schools or private schools set the "Bar" high. Public schools grade on their own agenda. Depends on what school you go to. Don't try and make this my kid-vs-other kid, on grades. School rules are school rules. Make the grade at your school. Nobody said it was a perfect world.

Re: WHO FIXES THIS [Re: Spexy] #233328 02/01/15 11:57 PM
G
GNR Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Your all kind of missing the point here I believe. If your son was the one with a 92% who only gets a B, and therefore he doesn't get the scholarship money because his grade point average is only 3.0 instead of 3.5 or 4.0. Now it comes out of your pocket while the kid three blocks away graduated with 92% and all A's. He gets a free ride and his parents spend that money on a lake house or something. The point is its not right. Schools or Scholarship Foundations don't ask O what was the Grading scale. They ask what was your GPA. I can guarantee this bites someone on here in the ass and then you'll sing a different tune. A Diploma is a Diploma no matter where you get it therefore the qualifications to get it should be uniform.

Re: WHO FIXES THIS [Re: GNR] #233329 02/02/15 12:18 AM
RJW1 Offline
I'm on a committee that hands out several scholarships and we look at a lot more than GPA! I would guess a lot of scholarship committees operate in the same fashion. I don't know of any place in the world where a high school 4.0 alone adds up to a free ride anywhere for college. Big scholarship money for academics is a combination of GPA, ACT/SAT score, resume, letters of recommendation, writing ability, and an interview. As a general rule, a couple of B won't kill you or your chance at scholarship money!

Rick Williams
Colby High School
Re: WHO FIXES THIS [Re: RJW1] #233334 02/02/15 02:53 AM
E
ElvisP Offline
E
Work harder, maybe?

Re: WHO FIXES THIS [Re: GNR] #233336 02/02/15 11:33 AM
L
L.Geyer Offline
L
Like others have said, every school is different, and every school has their own board to set their standards. I went to a public high school where you had to have a 96% or above for an A, and eligibility was decided by semesters. So if you were ineligible at the end of May you didn't play sports until after Christmas the next school year. At the time I hated it, because others had it much easier. But when I got to college. I felt I had it easier, because I had already been pushed to work harder to make it.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 186 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,938
Posts250,369
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)