Wrestling Talk Forums supported
USA Wrestling-Kansas KWCA Wrestling Talk Forums supported & maintained by USA Wrestling-Kansas USAW USA Wrestling-Kansas 
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? #234726 03/05/15 06:42 PM
W
Wrestlin Scholar Offline OP
OP Offline
W
We were having a debate on another forum about the affect of class wrestling on wrestlers from the smaller schools or the Kansas (1a-3a)schools. The question is: are wrestlers from small schools more encouraged and develop better wrestling skills because they have better opportunitites to place and win state championships in a classed environment like Kansas has. By classed, I mean multiple classes.

I know this a hypothetical question, but would smaller schools have lower participation, work less and even have less community following if they would likely have a significantly lower amont of state placers and champions in a single class environment?

Last edited by The Scholar; 03/05/15 09:39 PM.

"If pro is the opposite on con, then the opposite of progress is congress"
Re: Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #234728 03/05/15 07:17 PM
B
back in the day Offline
B
Are you from Colorado or Washington?

If you are - it would help me understand what you are talking about! If you are not, please dont be stopped by the police.

I bet Will can understand what you are asking with his profound sober judgement, but I cant.

The older I get the better I was!
Re: Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? [Re: back in the day] #234731 03/05/15 07:39 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Not from Colorado or Washington and what do they have to do with it. Why would I be stopped by the police? Thats not very friendly.

Last edited by The Scholar; 03/05/15 07:46 PM.

Re: Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #234732 03/05/15 08:11 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
Sir. In Kansas smaller schools are the only ones who combine class. Class 3a class 2a and class 1a share one venue and one championship. Not sure what the rest of your post is requesting. Forgive me but it appears to be a very confusing post.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #234737 03/05/15 08:39 PM
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted By: PatrickCavanaugh
Sir. In Kansas smaller schools are the only ones who combine class. Class 3a class 2a and class 1a share one venue and one championship. Not sure what the rest of your post is requesting. Forgive me but it appears to be a very confusing post.

Sorry for confusion: But I'll try to make my point clearer. Since Kansas has multiple classes or four classes, as a result the wrestlers from the smaller schools (1-3A and even 4A) have a significantly higher opportunity to become state placers and state champions when compared to their chances if Kansas had one wrestling class. Since these wrestlers get to taste success and placing is a more obtainable goal in the classed system, do you think they are more motivated to work harder and improve and are better wrestlers as a result.

Im just trying to find contrasting opinions to Indiana where theres one class. The debate on the forum there is that the smaller schools or the smallest 1/3rd of the total schools have had only one state champion in the last 3 years and statistically only place 5% of the time. The subjective question there are the smaller schools hampered or discouraged as a result of the single class system creating a significantly difficult situation to place or win a state championship.

Last edited by The Scholar; 03/05/15 09:02 PM.

Re: Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? [Re: Wrestlin Scholar] #234740 03/05/15 09:45 PM
PatrickCavanaugh Offline
I personally do not think the size of the school has anything to do with the quality of wrestler or more import the quality of the program. My son goes to a small school who competes with large schools clear up to regionals and his school is competitive at every tournament. Do your small schools in Indiana only dual and compete with other small schools until.State and then get smashed? This year is a little different but small schools usually represent very well in the All class ranking which is what Kansas has currently.

Patrick Cavanaugh
785-249-3440
Re: Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #234742 03/05/15 10:27 PM
W
OP Offline
W
I would say in Indiana, the smaller schools wrestle the bigger schools more. Since the all the schools big and small are in the same sectional (1st round of state series), its important for seeding purposes that the all of the schools wrestle each other. I wrestled in Kansas in a 6A school back in the day and we rarely wrestled a 4a school and never a 1-3A.

In Indiana the smaller schools can compete fairly well up the sectional and regional level but when they get to the semi-state and state where the elite wrestlers are, its extremely difficult to overcome the top wrestlers from the big schools.

Re: Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? [Re: PatrickCavanaugh] #234743 03/05/15 10:59 PM
Pelland Offline
In my opinion, the size of your school does matter to a certain degree, but tradition trumps size every time.

Norton competes extremely well with the larger schools because of their tradition (I'm sure they have good coaches too). When kids grow up in that town they grow up knowing two things...... Football and Wrestling!

You can't reload year after year without having tradition.

Re: Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? [Re: Pelland] #234760 03/06/15 12:11 PM
B
bbd Offline
B
Not exactly sure what you're reason is for this post or why you even posted other then to take a "jab" at small schools. You said, "Since Kansas has multiple classes or four classes, as a result the wrestlers from the smaller schools (1-3a and even 4a) have a significantly higher opportunity to become state placers and state champions when compared to their chances if Kansas had one wrestling class". Does this not increase the 5a and 6a wrestlers chances significantly also?

Last edited by bbd; 03/06/15 04:33 PM.
Re: Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? [Re: bbd] #234763 03/06/15 01:48 PM
B
Bassman Offline
B
There was about 24 teams at each 321a regional. (Weight classes weren't all full) Four wrestlers advance to state, approximately 16 or 17 percent per regional. 5a and 6a have eight teams per regional, with the top four, or 50 percent going. Was 5a and 6a easier to get to state? Heck no, not if you have 3,4,5+ wrestlers working for a spot on varsity on each team. Does this make 321a easier? No. And 4a is it's own animal. I believe all the classes represent quite well, and the best from each class can battle with each other on any given day.

Re: Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? [Re: Bassman] #234764 03/06/15 01:54 PM
T
ThomasGT Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Bassman
And 4a is it's own animal.

What do you mean when you say 4a is a different animal? I'm not being a smart@$$ either. We've no experience with HS wrestling, save for following a few local schools and reading this forum.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? [Re: ThomasGT] #234783 03/06/15 05:30 PM
B
Bassman Offline
B
Just saying, 4a had 15/16 schools per regional, with some good sized schools that have similar numbers in the room as the big schools. With the way 4a is now, it's a tough division. The smaller 4as should be in 321, and the bigger should be 5a. "Should be" is my opinion. But, that is a whole other discussion.

Re: Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? [Re: Bassman] #234836 03/08/15 04:14 PM
Cokeley Offline
At the very heart of this problem is Gov Brownback's enemy. TOO MANY HIGH SCHOOLS. TOO MANY COUNTIES. The notion that you can keep creating jobs or sustain unnecessary jobs by increasing taxes is a recipe for disaster. It is being played out at the city, county, state, and federal level. You don't have to have a PHD in Economics to figure it out.

Wrestling...We need two classes. Take the total enrollment of all 213 schools with wrestlers (according to the KWCA page kansaswrestling.org). Qualify 32 for each and we would have the same number of kids participating at state. Place 8 so only 16 place instead of 24. Have the tournament on Thur, Fri, and Sat at the same venue. MAKE IT A BIG DEAL for the KIDS. It is for the KIDS. It isn't for KSHSAA to make money, for the striped shirts to acknowledge their years of service, for the arena to flex it's security strength. It is all about the four SHORT years of opportunity for wrestlers to see who is the best. We freakn crown 8 state champs in football. JOKE!! Four state champs in wrestling is too many too.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com
Re: Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? [Re: Cokeley] #234850 03/08/15 08:01 PM
J
jeremy sekavec Offline
J
What venue will this be held at? Sounds like sprint center or intrust bank arena. Wait a minute! That's back east! Nevermind answered it myself. Kansas doesn't exist past salina and wichita

Re: Does class wrestling help small school wrestlers? [Re: jeremy sekavec] #234858 03/09/15 12:40 AM
Cokeley Offline
For a three day event it could be in Hays, Wichita, Dodge City (need more hotel rooms), Topeka, or the arena in Mulvane. Three days gives you a lot more flexibility. Would be a huge $$$ maker for the host city and for KSHSAA.

Will Cokeley
(708)267-6615
willcokeley@gmail.com

Moderated by  Nate Naasz, RedStorm 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 123 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CorbinPickerill, ptv, Dane Edwards, Mikemacias, tcox
12298 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics35,941
Posts250,373
Members12,298
Most Online709
Nov 21st, 2011
Top Posters(All Time)